JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q32. Filled with the Spirit

I WOULD SAY THAT BEING FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT IS WHEN WE SURRENDER ALL TO GOD.WE ARE SAVED ,FILLED WITH HIS SPIRIT AND SANCTIFIED.GOD WANTS US TO EMPTY OUT ALL THE BAD STUFF(REPENT OF OUR SINS) (HEAL OUR HURTS)DELIVER US FROM BONDADGES AS WE MOVE INTO HIS MERCY AND GRACE.GOD WANTS US TO OPEN UP SO HE CAN FILL US(WITH THE SPIRIT)'IN ALL THE GOOD HE HAS STORED UP FOR US.BEING FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT IS NOT JUST A ONE TIME EXPERIENCE,IT IS ON GOING EVERY DAY EXPERIENCE,WITH FAITH AND PRAYER.IN THIS WE HAVE THE FULLNESS OF GOD COMING INTO OUR LIFE EVERYDAY.

GOD THE FATHER, GOD THE SON,AND GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT ARE THE SAME ,SO I WOULD SAY WE ARE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT(HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD)AND THEN WE ARE CONTINUOUSLEY FILLED WITH (ALL THE FULLNESS OF GOD) AS WE OPEN UP TO HIM EVERY DAY OF OUR LIFE..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Ephesians 3:16, 19) What does it mean to be "filled with the Spirit" (verse 16)? Is this a one-time experience or a continual reality? What can we do to be filled with the Spirit? Is it different or the same as being "filled with all the fullness of God" (verse 19)?

When John the Baptist was baptizing, his voice was crying: Mark 1: 8 "I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost. "

Also in Luke 3:16

John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

The River Jordon ran down between Egypt and the promised land of Israel. On one side you have sin, slavery and bondage and on the other side, salvation. So when John was saying to the folks on the other side, "Repent ..... and be baptized" The point that he was making was that they needed to come away from slavery, bondage and sin and their sins would be washed away in the river on the way over when they repented but that they still needed to be baptized in the Holy Spirit and fire. This is why later on in the book of Acts we see the folks that have been dunked in the River Jordan by John the baptist, (who had prepared the way for the baptism of the Holy Spirit and fire) went to Paul to be Baptized.

Acts 19:2-5 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

The River Jordon was where repentance of sins were washed away so when Jesus came to John to be baptized, this is why John reported this scripture: John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

So the river was full of the sins washed away by the baptism of John, the river was literally full of sin that had been poured into it and John was preparing the way for Jesus to come into the river of sin.

So when Jesus was baptized, He was baptized in the river of sin and took upon Him self the sins of the world, and would soon take sin away.

Jesus had to go away because if He had stayed on earth, His spirit could not be all over the world because He could only be in one place at a time. The Holy Spirit was sent by God so that God could comfort His chosen and lead them into truth, where He abides.

The Spirit of God is like His conscience, working in us, teaching us what He wants us to know. This truth, reminds us of the words that Jesus spoke, give us the right words and the power of the Holy Spirit to speak them into the world. We can speak truth with the authority of Jesus..

Acts 2:38

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

To repent means to turn from sin, and rebellion of God

• 3 weeks later...
Q3. (Ephesians 3:16, 19) What does it mean to be "filled with the Spirit" (verse 16)? Is this a one-time experience or a continual reality? What can we do to be filled with the Spirit? Is it different or the same as being "filled with all the fullness of God" (verse 19)?

This is not a one-time experience but a continual realityday by day.

• 1 month later...

We receive the Spirit when we ask Christ into our hearts. The amount we are "filled" is what we allow - it's a continual reality - we have to make room by removing the bad from our lives, our hearts, our souls for the Spirit to fill us. I think it is the same as being filled with the fullness of God.

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes: To be filled with the Spirit means to allow God to take you over completely, spirit, soul and body, nothing is off limits to Him. You have given Him free course in your life, so that He can fill you with Himself.

This is not a onetime experience, but a continuing experience, it's like breathing, it's your very life.

Being filled with the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit is not the same thing. Any born again believer or child of God becomes fill with Spirit or the Spirit indwells him/her.

In order to become filled with the fullness of the Spirit, we must spend time in His presence daily in order to allow Him to take control of us. I believe we obtain the fulness through trust, and in order to learn to fully trust God we must get to know Him, so that we will relinquest all to him.

• 1 month later...

yesterdays grace is not enough for today. as we need to eat, drink, and rest physically,also it is a necessity to refresh ourselves in the lord.so being filled with the spirit is a continual deal.all we can do is is humble ourselves and ask god to become more and to help me to become less.

• 6 months later...

Being filled with the Holy Spirit means to allow God to permeate every part of our being, not closing Him out but allowing Him access to who we truly are. That also means that we admit to even ourselves who we really are. This is a continual reality, I believe it is the same as being filled with the fullness of God, just accepting Him and allowing Him to work in our lives, no holds barred.

• 1 month later...

To be totally controlled and influenced by the Holy Spirit. From the way we think, to the way we act and speak. We are filled with the Spirit at the point of salvation (conversion) but it is a life long process to understand and know what it really means. Surrendering ourselves to the Holy Spirit

• 1 year later...

Paul prays that they might receive the fulness of the spirit of which they had only a measure. to be fulled with all the fulnss of God is just as possible today as than and as possible as the other things prayed for.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Ephesians 3:16, 19) What does it mean to be "filled with the Spirit" (verse 16)?

To have surrendered my will (for me this happens in stages as I grow in knowledge of Him), so that His will becomes my will, and His thoughts become my thoughts, that I obey Him quickly, that I flow in the power of the Holy Spirit and allow His gifts to operate through me, and that His love flows out to others.

Is this a one-time experience or a continual reality?

For me there was a powerful, initial, baptism in the Holy spirit where I received a prayer language and an overpowering baptism in His love. But His word says to be continually filled...this needs to happen daily. This is "taking up my cross" daily. Crucifying what I want in order for His wants to prevail.

What can we do to be filled with the Spirit?

I pray and ask to be filled... and check first for unconfessed sin, repent, ask for forgiveness. When I'm a clean vessel there is more room for Him.

Is it different or the same as being "filled with all the fullness of God" (verse 19)?

I think "filled with all the fullness of God" is the ultimate goal...we can be filled to as much capacity as we can handle even as new believers, but I think this fullness takes some maturity to be first, willing, and second to be able to handle this much of God! We have the fullness of the God-Head indwelling us at conversion, but lack the ability to let Him have full reign...at least that has been my experience.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Ephesians 3:16, 19)

What does it mean to be "filled with the Spirit" (verse 16)?

Is this a one-time experience or a continual reality?

What can we do to be filled with the Spirit?

Is it different or the same as being "filled with all the fullness of God" (verse 19)?

In John 14:16 Jesus tells us that we will possess the Holy Spirit from the moment we believe. He also promised that the indwelling would be permanent. So we distinguish the indwelling from the filling of the Spirit. Ideally we should be so completely yielded to the Holy Spirit so that He can possess us fully and, in that sense, fill us. However in Ephesians 4:30 we read that the Holy Spirit can be grieved,

• 9 months later...

It means you have accepted Christ as your savior and invited Him into your life. When you make that comittment His spirit dwells in us changing us continually wiping away our old self. This should be a continual reality because once we invite Him into our hearts it is a continual process with Christ leading the way. The only way to be filled with His spirit is to repent of our sins and ask Christ to be a part of our lives also to stay in fellowship with Him and our church family of other believers. Yes it is the same as being filled with the spirit.

• 1 month later...

It means that Holy Spirit is inside us and GOD'S love is always with us....

• 2 months later...

To be filled with the spirit means to be humble and proud. God's word will humble you if you continue to study it and this is a continual reality, it increases as the word grows deeper in you from opening your heart and accepting him. To be filled with the Spirit, you must continue to strive to know God by reading his word and applying it to your life.

Being filled with the fullness of God speaks of the knowledge gained by expierence and this can come to us only through Christ and what Christ did for us on the Cross.

• 7 months later...

To be "filled with the Spirit" (verse 16) means a day-to-day emptying of myself and daily practicing the presence of God, reading and meditating on the Word of God. It is allowing/creating room for the Spirit to have absolute control of my whole being on a daily basis.

Being filled with the Spirit is not a one-time experience but rather a continual reality.

To be filled with the Spirit we need to connect ourselves to the dunamis power source by reading and meditating on the Word of God.

It is different. We need to daily surrender our weaknesses to God. Being "filled with all the fullness of God" (verse 19) is a daily process which leads us into the things of God.

To be "filled with the Spirit" (verse 16) means a day-to-day emptying of myself and daily practicing the presence of God, reading and meditating on the Word of God. It is allowing/creating room for the Spirit to have absolute control of my whole being, on a daily basis.

Being filled with the Spirit is not a one-time experience but rather a continual reality.

To be filled with the Spirit we need to connect ourselves to the dunamis power source by reading and meditating on the Word of God.

It is different. We need to daily surrender our weaknesses to God. Being "filled with all the fullness of God" (verse 19) is a daily process which leads us into the things of God.

• 1 year later...

The meaning of being “filled with the Spirit” is that we are doing the things that God wants us to be doing. We are studying the bible and talking to Him daily if not continuously. This type of being lead by the Spirit is a continual reality. This is the same thing as being “filled with all the fullness of God”.

• 1 year later...

Being filled with the spirit of Christ is to give yourself total commitment and dedication to Him, to understand the depths of His love and comprehend His will for you.

To be filled with Christ spirit we must pray to be filled daily to carry out the work the Lord has for us to do. In this way Christ can give us all that He has promised us, including the gifts we can use to witness to others.

The difference between the fullness of God or filled with all the fullness of God, is as we continue in life we are continually sanctified by his love and grace. This of course that we daily devote our selves to him, in turn we share His love and gain in understanding and knowledge which gives us better wisdom in serving Him.       

• 1 year later...

To be filled with the Spirit is to allow our whole being filled with the love of God and Christ into the very depths of our souls. We can experience this fullness everyday of our lives if we are willing to continue to learn about God to accept his teachings and to allow ourselves to grow in them. We must be active in all of our quests. We need to be open to all of our faults. We need to accept all consequences that our past actions have cost to us and to others. I believe that it is easier to be filled with the Spirit than with God. I feel that God would cause us to be more perfect than we might ever imagine. The Spirit is there to help us to deal with our life's failures. he is preparing us to be filled with God.

• 2 years later...
On 8/23/2006 at 10:48 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

To receive the spirit the spirit, to live in you, to take over your life.

It is a continual reality, that we must feed on the word to keep seeking.

To ask for forgiveness accept Jesus as our savior and ask the Holy Spirit to live in us and teach us.

The same, because the Spirit is the fullness of God.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q32. Filled with the Spirit
  • 2 months later...

Q32. (Ephesians 3:16, 19) What does it mean to be "filled with the Spirit" (verse 16)? Is this a one-time experience or a continual reality? What can we do to be filled with the Spirit? Is it different or the same as being "filled with all the fullness of God" (verse 19)? 
In John 14:16 Jesus tells us that we will possess the Holy Spirit from the moment we believe. He also promised that the indwelling would be permanent. So, we distinguish the indwelling from the filling of the Spirit. Ideally we should be so completely yielded to the Holy Spirit so that He can possess us fully and, in that sense, fill us. However, in Ephesians 4:30 we read that the Holy Spirit can be grieved, “And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.” We also read in 1Thessalonians 5:19 that His activity can be quenched, “Do not put out the Spirit's fire;” When we allow this to happen, we do not experience the fullness of the Spirit's working and His power in and through us. To be filled with the Spirit implies freedom for Him to occupy every part of our lives, guiding and controlling us. It is then that His power can be exerted through us so that we can do what is fruitful to God. The filling of the Spirit does not apply to outward acts alone; it also applies to the innermost thoughts and motives of our actions. Sin is what hinders the filling of the Holy Spirit, and obedience to God is how the filling of the Spirit is maintained. It is only by our obedience to God's commands that the Spirit can work within us. It is impossible to be filled with the Spirit all of the time, this is because we are still infected with sin. When we sin, we should immediately confess it to God and renew our commitment to being Spirit-filled and Spirit-led. To be filled with the Spirit is the same as being filled with all the fullness of God. 

Q32. (Ephesians 3:16, 19) What does it mean to be "filled with the Spirit" (verse 16)? Is this a one-time experience or a continual reality? What can we do to be filled with the Spirit? Is it different or the same as being "filled with all the fullness of God" (verse 19)?

To be filled with the Spirit is to allow the Holy Spirit occupy all of our heart [100%]. This is not a onetime experience but all the time. I believe this is the same as all the fulness of God in us.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to back up to prior questions to get the context for this one. The verses are this:

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.  Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.  (NIV)

I assume that the filling by the Holy Spirit is the first bold line, and the filling ... with the fullness of God is the second bold line.  

I'm not sure of the difference between the two, Pastor Ralph. I'm sorry.

But I do think that the " filled to the measure of all the fullness of God" is an odd way of stating the idea that we are completely filled. No more room is left to fill. 

I also think that filled to the measure of all the fullness of God is an explanation of the prior clauses in which Paul is praying that the Ephesians get (the) power to transcend what they can rationally understand so that they intuit Christ's love. 

So, intuiting Christ's love is the same thing as being filled to the brim with God. Beyond this statement, I'm not sure if this is a one-time or ongoing experience. My hunch is that it's ongoing. I don't know what we can do to be filled with the spirit in this manner. I know what some churches say, but can't make out the boundaries of charismatic theology in the passage you quoted.

On 8/23/2006 at 10:48 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

To be filled with the Spirit is when you ask Jesus to be Lord of your life. Christ opens up your understanding to who He is.  Therefore, if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature, old things have passed away, all thing are become new. (2 Cor. 5:17)  He comes to live in you. Your body is the Temple of Holy Spirit. 

Not a one time experience, but a continual reality. 

To be continually filled with the Spirit, we want to know more about Jesus, His Word, being obedient, saying that we want to be more like Him,  drawing on His grace. not on our own ways.  He works on our hearts and changes us to be more like Him.

Being filled with all the fullness of God is when we are totally dedicated to Him and He has admittance to every room/every part of our lives. Totally surrendered to Him.         And we all having been unveiled in face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image, from glory to glory, even as from the Lord, the Spirit.(2 Cor. 3:18)