JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

The temptation is a mind altering high that relaxes spirit and body. They relax the spirit but they don't give the "high" of the Spirit - nothing comes close to that. Being filled with the Spirit helps us fend off the temptations by filling us with a joy that cannot be matched by any substitute.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Q3. (Ephesians 5:17-18) What is the primary temptation involved with drugs and alcohol? How can drug or alcohol use substitute for the "high" of the Spirit? How can being filled with the Spirit help us fend off the temptations of drugs and alcohol?

this is right up my alley. i was using both for a way to escape the pain of living and facing life as it came. there is no substitute for the spirit. drugs and alcohol couldn't come close to what the spirit offers. look, i was running away from life with drugs and alcohol,but with the spirit of god i am facing it head on knowing he is leading with his rod and staff. sure i still get spooked about the unsureity of life, but this one thing i know is his promises are real and he stays true to them.

• 4 months later...

The primary temptation of drugs and alcohol is that of a high or relief from all our worries, cares and troubles. Intoxication is a form of escapism. Unfortunately, however, we must return at some point and all the problems and ills are still there and are sometimes worse than before. We feel left to our own devices to deal with these problems.

Being filled with the spirit can also makes us high and can give us the feeling of being free from all our troubles and worries. But, this is a true freedom as being filled with the spirit means that we don

• 9 months later...

I think the primary temptation that leads a person to indulge in drugs and alcohol is escape. Escape from pressures or pain. A person wants to feel better, to dull something, or to create some kind of excitement. Some use these things to "relax" or "take the edge off". Any of that is an attempt to escape from real life. And the reality of life on earth is so often an overload of pressures and pain that it's not hard to understand the desire to run!

The critical problem (aside from the destructive influences on the body, dimming of spiritual light, damaging of personal witness to others, and detrimental example to weaker people) is in the spiritual consequence. It shuts down your communication with the Father, leaving you extremely vulnerable. To use mind-altering substances is to suppress the Spirit's work to transform the mind (Romans 12:2) and to convict of sin in order to lead into righteousness (John 16:8). There's no way a person can avoid delusion, produce the fruit of Light, avoid any fellowship with the fruits of darkness, and live purposefully with wisdom when (s)he is not clear-eyed and in control of faculties - all things that Paul has been warning about in chapter 5.

The LORD desires to be our escape and relaxation. He wants to be the force that enhances life and helps us deal with pressures or pain. And I know from experience that when I drink Him in it's a supercharge like nothing else! He lifts the spirits in a way that lasts and doesn't bring you crashing down the next day still facing the same set of problems you were running from. He gives hope, encouragement, joy, and real direction to the inner spirit that drugs and alcohol are incapable of doing. To seek the Holy Spirit and His fullness in your life is to fill up all available space with His satisfying presence, leaving no room or desire for anything else.

• 9 months later...
Q3. (Ephesians 5:17-18) What is the primary temptation involved with drugs and alcohol? How can drug or alcohol use substitute for the "high" of the Spirit? How can being filled with the Spirit help us fend off the temptations of drugs and alcohol?

To me the drug and alcohol show me the wild orgies of bacchus in which men acted like they were mad running and tossing their heads and appearing in every sense completely.this again refers to the orgies of bacchus when men and women would get drunk entering into all kinds of immoral acts. in Isaiah59:19 when the enemy shall come in like a flood thwe spirit of the Lord shall lift up a strandard against you.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Ephesians 5:17-18) What is the primary temptation involved with drugs and alcohol?

The joy of the Lord is our strength. The temptation is to use a mood altering substance to change how we feel, or to get high, rather than feeling what we are feeling, or turning to God for comfort, His answers, His strength or guidance or His ministry to us.

How can drug or alcohol use substitute for the "high" of the Spirit?

It's a form of idolatry...to prefer something other than our Lord. His Word tells us to be filled with the Spirit, rather than to "mood alter" through alcohol or whatever else one would turn to, (even shopping, or other things which cause an adrenaline rush or escape from daily life) It's a substitute for His joy and peace, which Satan can use to lure us away from the Lord, and to tempt us to debauch ourselves, and to sin against God. It numbs our conscience and changes the inhibitions, so that the Holy Spirit is not in control...a dangerous place to be. At the very least, we become self absorbed, self important, absorbed with pleasures of the flesh, and may miss critical opportunities for Christ....anything said about the Lord during a mind altered state will not be taken seriously by others.

How can being filled with the Spirit help us fend off the temptations of drugs and alcohol?

When we are filled with the Spirit, we're more in tune with the Lord, walking with Him more closely and more apt to turn to Him for comfort or His joy rather than to rely on a substitute.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Ephesians 5:17-18)

What is the primary temptation involved with drugs and alcohol?

How can drug or alcohol use substitute for the "high" of the Spirit?

How can being filled with the Spirit help us fend off the temptations of drugs and alcohol?

It allows people to escape from the realities of life; helps them forget about their daily problems and lowers their inhibitions. In becoming high on both drugs or alcohol and the Spirit there are similarities. In both conditions the person is under a power outside themselves; they can become highly emotional; and of course their behaviour is altered. Being filled with the Spirit can help us fight the temptations of drugs and alcohol. There is no loss of self-control; for we know from Gal 5:23 that the fruit of the Spirit is, amongst others, self-control.

• 6 months later...

This is a very difficult topic. While I have not been tempted by drugs or alcohol (by the grace of God), I know many people who have struggled with addictions for years. For them it is much, much harder than just saying, "no." They need a program, a huge support network, lots of prayer and practical guidance. I used to just not get it when people would keep going back to their substances, but now that I've known so many believers struggling with addictions, I am slower to judge. Some people get hooked on a drug after just one try. This is why we as a church need to get to the root of some of these issues. The kids who all of a sudden find themselves addicted to crack or heroin often don't have parental love or direction. The mother who medicates herself with alcohol while in the midst of a crumbling marriage needs intervention at a much deeper level than the alcohol issue alone. Prevention is key, and a firm, rooted relationship with Christ can help people avoid making those choices. However, it is not always easy. We need to be willing to do the hard work of walking alongside people struggling with these issues, even when we see them fail.

• 3 months later...

With me being a former attic you'd think this would be an easy one! The temptation involved with drugs is that it is a quick fix to helping you forget your problems when really all its doing is prolonging it. True while you are high that problem is forgotten but when you come down that problem is worse than it was before you got high and people think that more drugs or different drugs will make it better. Wrong!!!! Drugs or alchohol can not substitute for the natural high of the spirit in any way! Well when you are filled with the spirit you more than likely are surrounding yourself with a Christian crowd in turn who will also be filled with the spirit or at least have Christ on their mind, as when you are high or getting high you are around people who do not have their minds on Christ at all. So when we are filled with the spirit Christ is leading us so He is not going to lead us astray!

• 1 month later...

You forget about GOD. I was a alcoholic for many years, but I never did drugs. It's 28 years now that I have not had one drink..... I go to church now every sunday.. I love GOD, HE saved me...

I drank a lot years ago, so I know what it means, a lot of pain. Now I don't drink anymore, I have the LORD...

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The primay temptation involved with drugs and alcohol is a way of escape from the realities of life.

Drug and alcohol are mind-altering drugs which dull the believers so they cannot "make the most of every opportunity." (Ephesians 5:16)

Being filled with the Spirit helps us fend off the temptations of drugs and alcohol. The Holy Spirit opens the unseen world to us to see the realities of the spirit world. He leads us into all truth. We have to learn to include the Spirit and his power in our lives.

The primary temptation involved with drugs and alcohol is a way of escape from the realities of life.

Drug and alcohol are mind-altered drugs which dull the believers so they cannot "make the most of every opportunity." (Ephesians 5:16)

Being filled with the Spirit helps us fend off the temptations of druigs and alcohol. The Holy Spirit opens the unseen world to us to see the realities of the spiritual world. He leads us into all truth. We have to learn to include the Spirit and his power in our lives.

• 1 year later...

The primary temptation involved with drugs and alcohol is that tend to do the things that we know isn’t the best interest of us or others. Drugs and alcohol can be used as a substitute for the “high” of the Spirit. It tries to replace it and fill that empty hole that we have in us.

Bing filled with the Spirit does help us fend off the temptations of drugs and alcohol because we know that it is bad for the body and we are to keep the temple of God pure. Therefore if we think of our bodies as the temple of God we will not over indulge and get drunk.

• 1 year later...

The primary temptation involving drugs and alcohol are that they lead us to do things that are immoral, things we would not do if we were sober. It can lead to an addiction that would become our idol instead the Lord. Being involved with these vices could cause us not to witness for the Lord because we feel we have failed Him and the Holy Spirit may not influence our lives.

Drugs and alcohol can be an emotional mental high for us, which wears off and we must have more to achieve that high, instead of the high we get for pleasing the Lord and doing that which pleases Him.

Being filled with the Holy Spirit can help us break the bonds of drugs and alcohol , provided we are sincere repenting of using them. The high which the Holy Spirit gives us is a feel of a sort of ecstasy, knowing that the lord is pleased with us. 

• 1 year later...

Drugs and alcohol are used to dull the senses of man when used in excess. They help to alleviate stress. It helps people to chill out and act in ways they normally would not. They might become more friendlier. It can also cause some people to do strange things. And there are those people that act very violently.

It is easier to get high from drugs and alcohol than a high from the Spirit. Some people are unable to get a natural high. They feel that their lives are too bland. They do not want to look within.

Those of us that have inner peace find it very easy not to turn to drugs and alcohol. We are able to live on the natural joy of being in tuned to the Spirit that God has given us. We can actually live for God and with God's graces in our lives.

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2006 at 9:02 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

A means of an escape of the real world.

It dose not substitute for the Spirit, there is no substitution for the spirit.

The spirit is not of this world, drugs and alcohol are of this world.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q48. Intoxication
  • 2 months later...

Q48. (Ephesians 5:17-18) What is the primary temptation involved with drugs and alcohol? How can drug or alcohol use substitute for the "high" of the Spirit? How can being filled with the Spirit help us fend off the temptations of drugs and alcohol? 
It allows people to escape from the realities of life; helps them forget about their daily problems and lowers their inhibitions. In becoming high on both drugs or alcohol and the Spirit, there are similarities. In both conditions the person is under a power outside themselves; they can become highly emotional; and of course, their behaviour is altered. With drugs and alcohol, we lose control of our wisdom, understanding, judgment, balance, self-control, and the power to rationally assess everything. Being filled with the Spirit can help us fight the temptations of drugs and alcohol. There is no loss of self-control; for we know from Gal 5:23 that the fruit of the Spirit is, amongst others, self-control. So, under the influence of the Holy Spirit we do not lose control, we gain it. He stimulates the mind, the intellect, the heart, and the will. The fullness of the Spirit makes us more like Christ. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have never been drunk or high. I was, however, married to an alcoholic and cocaine user so have seen the devastation it does to the mind. Most of the people on this site mentioned "escape" as a motivation for drugs and alcohol. I agree, but also think that some people have a strong compulsion to be the centre of attention -- they must be the life of the party, even when there's no party! -- and drink primarily to "feel" alluring and powerful. After many years of drinking, their uninhibited personality becomes the baseline after their real or sober personality had been destroyed. Narcissists tend to be addicts. They drink and do drugs because it allows them to act as big as they need or want to be.

I think, too, that alcoholics/addicts become angry at people who do not share their addictions. My former husband constantly tried to get me to drink, would mock me for not sharing his "bounty," and laced my food or drink, on occasion. I used to pray for God's protection which I believe saved me. That same anger was expressed in other ways, too, often violent, both towards himself and towards anyone trying to love or help him. So, the downstream effects of addiction are much greater than the substance abuse itself. Addiction destroys everything around it.

The Holy Spirit is unknown and unfelt by unbelievers. The idea of having a spiritual "high" is risible to them. They have set themselves apart from God.

Since I am looking at this from the outside, as a believer who was once among unbelieving addicts, I honestly don't know, in retrospect, if the Holy Spirit fends off other people's need/desire to be high. In my case, this didn't happen and I don't think the Spirit normally works that way. It could be that the Holy Spirit knows which individuals will turn to Him in desperation, and, conversely, those who will arrogantly fight God until their death.

I have read stories of people who were saved "in the gutter," those who heard God's voice in the depths of drug-addled despair. God does, occasionally, rescue individuals overwhelmed with addictions. We must not, then, give up on addicts. Prayer is always demanded particularly when things are helpless for we don't know who will be saved and who will be lost. Thus, we must keep praying and praying ... prevailing prayer. 

Having said this, we don't have to be endangered to pray. I knew, without a doubt, that God told me to flee at one point. It was a rare moment of spiritual clarity.

We can pray for addicts from a safe distance. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/4/2006 at 9:02 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q48. (Ephesians 5:17-18) What is the primary temptation involved with drugs and alcohol? How can drug or alcohol use substitute for the "high" of the Spirit? How can being filled with the Spirit help us fend off the temptations of drugs and alcohol?

The primary temptation involved with drugs and alcohol is thinking they get rid of your problems and unhappiness but they only cover them, they don't take them away. People need Jesus.  

There is nothing like the Spirit of God in you, giving you peace and contentment.  There is no substitute for the Holy Spirit.

Being filled with the Spirit can help us fend off temptations because we are in Christ and walking in the Spirit, not in the flesh.   Having close fellowship with God and into the Word and prayer.

• 2 weeks later...

Escape reality.  Many are so burdened by the problems of life, they search out escape mechanisms.  These Individuals may have even tried with sincere hearts to deal with the vicissitudes of life, but ended up in defeat.

Other means that are resorted to--are not centered on Jesus Christ.   St. Paul would be appalled if saw the spurious courses taught in modern seminaries, and teachings espoused by modern pastors.  No wonder why there are so many  Christian clergy and laity that are in error.

A consistent prayer life and daily Bible study time at home, including having a true assurance of God's graces,  are all essential.   We are speaking of a consistent Christian life style.  Avoiding of negative friends is also important.  

• 1 month later...

I think that the primary temptation involved with drugs and alcohol is that we do those things in order to escape the real world. There is nothing “higher” than the spirit. So drugs and alcohol is no substitute for the “high” of the Spirit. When we are filled with the Spirit we don’t have the temptation for drugs and alcohol.