JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (Ephesians 5:25-30)

Does being head of the wife involve being "boss"?

Why or why not?

What does being "head" require of a husband?

What is the example husbands are to follow in headship?

Most definitely no - marriage is not a boss, employer, employee relationship. As husbands we are to follow the example of our Lord Jesus; and that is to serve our household. We are to serve our wives and family in love. We are told to love our wives just as Christ also loved the church. As the head of the home we take responsibility for all decision making. These decisions are taken with our wives, but ultimately we must give an account for all decisions taken. As head of the home we are to provide, protect, and encourage our wives. In the day to day living we both form a team and operate for the best of the family.

• 9 months later...

Q2. (Ephesians 5:25-30) Does being head of the wife involve being "boss"? Why or why not? What does being "head" require of a husband? What is the example husbands are to follow in headship?

Not in that sense! Being head of the wife means that you are the leader and you are to make all the Godly and right decisions for your family. That Christ love the church and gave Himself for her so we also are supposed to do the same for our wives!

• 4 months later...

Q2. (Ephesians 5:25-30) Does being head of the wife involve being "boss"? Why or why not? What does being "head" require of a husband? What is the example husbands are to follow in headship?

1. Does being head of the wife involve being "boss"?

No.

2. Why or why not?

The husband is to love the wife the way Christ loves the church.

3. What does being "head" require of a husband?

He needs to be the source, provider, sustainer, source of unity source of growth. Ruler also in the context of this service. The husbands love should be

the same as Christ.

4. What is the example husbands are to follow in headship?

He is to lay down his life of his wife and family. He is to serve not be served.

1. Does being head of the wife involve being "boss"?

No, it does not mean being the boss, it is just the opposite.

2. To be the "head" requires the husband to be the source, the provider, sustainer, source of unity and source of growth. Ruler too but only in the context of this service. "for even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. (Mark 10:45).

3. A husbands love for his wife is to match Christ's love for his church. The service to their wives is to match Christ's giving up himself for his church.

• 3 months later...

2a&b)Head does mean have the final say when decisions have to be made having talked things through with wife,it is not about

• 3 months later...

Being head of the wife does not involve being "boss."

God does not place a husband over her wife as a "boss" but rather as a "head."

Being "head" requires a husband to imitate Christ as the "head" of the Church. Christ is the role model for the husband to follow.

The example husbands are to follow in headship is Christ. The yard stick is Christ who loves us imperfect humans and bears with our weaknesses. The husband's standard is Christ's love for sinful humanity.

Being head of the wife does not involve being "boss."

God does not place a husband over her wife as a "boss." but rather as a "head."

Being "head" requires a husband to imitate Christ as the "head" of the Church. Christ is the role model for the husband to follow.

The example husbands are to follow in headshio is Christ. The yard stick is Christ who loves us imperfect humans and bears with our weaknesses.

The husband's standard is Christ's love for sinful humanity.

• 1 year later...

I don’t think that being head of the wife involves being “boss”. It means that we have got their back covered. We should be discussing things with our wives where being the boss we just tell them what they are to do.

The example that husbands are to follow in headship is that of Jesus Christ.

• 1 year later...

Being head of the wife does not mean he is necessarily the boss. The husband is treat her with care and respect just as he would treat himself. The two have become one through marriage, all decisions should be equal he should treat her with love, patience and humble service.

As being a husband he is to be the leader of the family, including all spiritual guidance in the word of the Lord. 

The example the husband should follow as being the head of the family is that the Lord is the head of his body the church. We are to take care of the wife as Christ takes care of us. Evan as Christ forgives us for our mistakes, so we are to forgive our wife's of mistakes. 

• 1 year later...

No you do not get to boss your wife around. You are to guide and protect her and be willing to sacrifice your life for her. The husband is to be the provider for the family. The husband is to follow the example of Jesus as he worked to teach the church., take care of her, and eventually died so that she can be safe.

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2006 at 9:07 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

No not boss, being head means leading.

They should follow Christ example.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q51. Husbands
  • 2 months later...

Q51. (Ephesians 5:25-30) Does being head of the wife involve being "boss"? Why or why not? What does “being head" require of a husband? What is the example husbands are to follow in headship? 
Most definitely no - marriage is not a boss, employer, employee relationship. As husbands we are to follow the example of our Lord Jesus; and that is to serve our household. We are to serve our wives and family in love. We are told to love our wives just as Christ also loved the church. As the head of the home, we take responsibility for all decision making. These decisions are taken with our wives, but ultimately we must give an account for all decisions taken. As head of the home, we are to provide, protect, and encourage our wives. In the day-to-day living, we both form a team and operate for the best of the family.
On a personal note: Later this month (March 2022) we will have been married 60 years. I treasure my wife, and thank my heavenly Father for sparing us all these years. I think of my friends who have lost their marriage partners, and realise how blessed I am that I still have a wife whom I have the honour to serve. What a privilege! What a blessing! Thank You Lord! 

Q51. (Ephesians 5:25-30) Does being head of the wife involve being "boss"? Why or why not? What does being "head" require of a husband? What is the example husbands are to follow in headship?

No, being the head of the wife does not mean being bossy. He is to love her as Christ did for the church. This means loving sacrificially, being ready to 'wash her feet', tolerating and forgiving her and so on.

I remember when my sons (then 8 and 12)  rented a movie about the sinking of the Titantic. Both of my boys were absolutely horrified that ALL the men on that ship chose to die so the women and children would live. This was an occasional topic of conversations for a couple years, in fact. It really bothered them.

My very apostate, (now former) husband told them that the reason the men died was Western social pressure and customs that no longer existed. He told them not to worry about it … “Just swim to a boat and get on.”

My oldest son was obviously bothered by his father’s response and my silence. 

A few months later, I took my sons camping and fishing in Alaska ... sans husband. While walking along a muddy beach, I fell and severely twisted my ankle – I had thought it was broken. We were six or seven miles from our car and had not seen another person for hours so I handed by 13-year-old son the car keys and said, “You’re the man of this family, now. You’ve got to help your Mum and little brother. I can’t protect you. You’re the oldest. Go get the car, drive it as close as you can and figure out how to get me there.”

The kid managed to back up an Excursion with a long trailer, drive it several miles to the closest point, create some sort of walking stick, find me and his nine-year-old brother in the middle of nowhere, and get me back to the car.

That night he whispered to me, “I wanted to be a man like the ones on the Titantic.”

I know this has nothing to do with Christianity. Sadly, my boys are so bitter toward their father that they will have nothing to do with “religion,” even to this day. Though they may not always act like gentlemen, particularly when with young available women, they know what it means to be one. They understand the meaning of self-sacrifice and true manliness. I pray that when they marry, they will be Christ-like men for their wives.  

Again, they understand the concept. The need. And that real women need a man’s protection.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2006 at 9:07 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q51. (Ephesians 5:25-30) Does being head of the wife involve being "boss"? Why or why not? What does being "head" require of a husband? What is the example husbands are to follow in headship?

No, He is not to be selfish, self-absorbed ,immature or boss. saying you must obey me or else.

Being head requires the husband to love his wife, be the provider, sustainer, uniting his family, and be the spiritual leader under God.

The example to follow in headship is Christ: Love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her.

• 1 month later...

The husband isn't a "boss".   What a tragedy !   In some cultures, the husband and father has taken the role of a distant taskmaster.  This is deplorable, St Paul wouldn't not condone "boss".

Marriage is a divine calling not hastily to be entered to.  The husband is called to be sympathetic to his wife's domestic concerns, fears and joys.   The husband has to have confidence in his wife that he can share his concerns, fears and joys as well.  The wife is present to assist her husband in his walk with God.   Forbearance is another trait that the husband should have.  To forbear with his wife's failings.   Love and mercy surely have a way to preserve a happy marriage.

Jesus Christ is the model for the husband. Christ had a particular love of the Elect predestinatinated Church, not excluding His love for the world.  Christ did not love the church because it was holy, but He makes them holy due to His love.   Christ had a sacrificial love for the Church.  Even now Christ is carrying on the double process of cleansing and nourishing the Church.   

I love the parable as told by Prophet Ezekiel.   Israel was like an abandoned baby covered with grime, just left aside.  Yahweh came along and lovingly took care of Israel !   Eventually Israel went into deep sin and despised the mercies of Yahweh.  Prophet Hosea is another gem.   The redeeming love of God is beyond telling.

• 3 weeks later...

It does not mean to be the head of the wife is being boss of her. We you married to become one and that means that you are to take care of each other. Being the head means making the final decisions on matters that are important. The example husbands are to follow in leadership is Jesus Christ.