JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q64. Alertness and Perseverance

Alertness in prayer is vital to our success in spiritual warfare because our enemy, Satan, is threatening to devour us. He is ready to steal, kill, and destroy us. That is why we need to be on guard.

Perseverance in prayer is important to our success because it encourages us to know that our God supplies all our needs and continue to trust him.

We need this exhortation because we are living in perilous times.

Alertness in prayer is vital to our success in spiritual warfare because our enemy, Satan, is threatening to devour us. He is ready to steal, kill, and destroy us. That is why we need to be on guard.

Perseverance in prayer is important to our success because it encourages us to know that our God supplies all our needs and continue to trust him.

We need this exhortation because we are living in perilous times

• 2 weeks later...

2a)The enemy can use tricks & deception of tiredness, thoughts of other things to cut short or distract us from praying for those in need. We need God’s help to increase our defenses and to be alert to know what to pray &for whom.

b)Perseverance keeps us in touch with our maker as we depend on him.We are asked to pray repeatedly, even though don’t always see the answers we hope for.

C)We need exhortation to always give thanks in our prayers giving God the praise :D , and pray without ceasing, asking God’s forgiveness when we stop praying by being distracted.

• 1 year later...

I think that alertness in prayer is vital to success in spiritual warfare because we have to conscience of what we are praying for. If we are not alert then we are just going through the motions and not really praying. The reason we need this exhortation is because we do become distracted by what is happening in this world and we let it lead us astray.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (Ephesians 6:18b) Why is alertness in prayer vital to success in spiritual warfare? How is perseverance in prayer important to success? Why do we need this exhortation?

We should always be alert prayer because Satan will try to get our minds to wonder off the intent we have in the supplications of our prayers. With out this alertness we lose our concentration and the spiritual battle.

We need to be very diligent in our perseverance for prayer. Continually praying for a particular situation can not be won if we are not steady in our request.

We always need to keep our minds focused on our prayers and supplications before the Lord, keeping alert so that our prayers are hindered by wondering minds and Satan's influence.      

• 1 year later...

We need to keep alert of our prayers. We need to have a constant ongoing conversation with God. We can not become lax because of the evil that is constantly around us. We need to learn what to pray for. We need to learn what our needs are and not just ask for something because we want it. This is the only way to remain in the grace of God. It keeps us from turning our hearts hard and unloving.

• 2 years later...
On 9/15/2006 at 2:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Ephesians 6:18b) Why is alertness in prayer vital to success in spiritual warfare? How is perseverance in prayer important to success? Why do we need this exhortation?

When we become lax our minds wonder away from us letting in what we don't want.

It is important that we never give up.

So that we are raised up, so we keep going.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q64. Alertness and Perseverance
  • 3 months later...

Q64. (Ephesians 6:18b) Why is alertness in prayer vital to success in spiritual warfare? How is perseverance in prayer important to success? Why do we need this exhortation? 
We have to know what to pray for, and this can only be done when we are alert to all the tricks that the devil can get up to. We have to be alert in our prayer, and we must watch against drowsiness, mind-wandering, and preoccupation with other things. Prayer requires spiritual keenness, alertness, and concentration. We should persevere and never become discouraged or disheartened. It is important to persevere in prayer - we must keep on asking, keep on seeking, keep on knocking, as Jesus taught us in Luke 11:9. We are not to grow weary or discouraged in our prayer life, for we know God that sometimes God answers our prayers the first time we ask, but at other times He answers only after prolonged asking. Remember His timing is always perfect. Jesus teaches us again in a parable to persevere, to continue to pray and not give up (Luke 18:1). We need to be told this as most of us struggle with alertness and perseverance in prayer. 

We should always be on alert because the devil is always out scheming. Just like God is always working for good, so is the devil working seeking to destroy. We can't get sluggish in our prayer life or in our faith. That's what the devil wants is for us to get sluggish. We have to be persistence in our praying and in our faith. We have to keep standing in prayer believing that God is going to give us the answer. Whether it takes a hour, a day or longer to receive the answer we must be strong, patient and not giving up. Sometimes we get busy with other things going on in our lives and we have to be reminded of how important perseverance is and patience and being alert. Sometimes we fall into a routine and have to be reminded of certain things. The devil loves for us to get off track so he can try to find some way in. It's ok to have good clean fun with our family and friends but we have to keep our mind on track with God's word at all times.

Q64. (Ephesians 6:18b) Why is alertness in prayer vital to success in spiritual warfare? How is perseverance in prayer important to success? Why do we need this exhortation?

Alertness is vital because our minds wonder away when praying. The evil one exploits this to derail us and thus the need for us to stay fully alert when praying.

To succeed in our spiritual battles especially as regards to praying, we must prevail to the end or until the answer comes. This then calls for perseverance to continue until victory is secured.

• 3 weeks later...

Why is alertness in prayer vital to success in spiritual warfare? How is perseverance in prayer important to success? Why do we need this exhortation?

Just as in any relationship, if I truly love someone, I'm highly sensitive/alert to the nuances in their language and body gestures. Similarly with God. Alertness is a consequence of rating Him highly ... love. So when my prayers are distracted and unfocused, it's a sign I need to seriously pull away from whatever I'm doind and reorient myself to God. Obviously, the closer I am to God the more successful I'll be in spiritual warfare, which is not only war against me, but war against Him.

Perseverance is patience on steroids. It's long-term patience. When prayers are unanswered and dry, I must be patient with God and myself until that spiritually desiccated period finally ends. Waiting on the Lord is one of the hardest things I've ever done. Persistently praying when there's no little cloud in the sky -- Elijah -- is horribly difficult for me, yet I know ... I know ... I must carry on.

Since alertness and perseverance are both necessary for spiritual growth, and their absence actually hinders it, Paul's exhortation makes sense.

• 2 months later...

For years I worked nite shift, and couldn't get a deep sleep.  So after work, I would take a siesta in my car and go for a prayer walk thereafter.   I could pray out loud while walking; I was offering a rational worship.  When I was sleepy or feeling out of sorts, praying out loud while standing was a great help.  Alertness is so important in outdoor evangelistic endeavors as well.   God wants us to be our best in the evangelistic field as well; this is worship time as well.

1 Samuel 12 is illustrative of this.  Samuel did persevere through some rather challenging times.   The people didn't want a theocratic government; they wanted Saul.  Samuel persevered through some harrowing years; but he held on to God.  So we too must hold on to the horns of the altar.   High Priest Aaron and his descendents entered yearly into the Holy of Holies.   They had a holy awe of God.   Going into the Holy of Holies was a time not taken nonchalantly.  So we too as Christians, we are priests given the privilege to enter the very courts of heaven to join Christ our High Priest !

• 2 weeks later...

We have to keep our eye on the enemy so if we aren’t alert then the enemy will succeed in overcoming us. Jesus gave us an example in perseverance and if we persevere thing will turn out the way that God’s wants it to. We do need this exhortation because our minds do wonder.