JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Job's Vision of Resurrection

Q1. How does Job's vision of resurrection (Job 19:25-27) differ from the Jews' former understanding of death as Sheol?

First I wanted to look at the term Sheol a little more closely.

The word Sheol means: A place where all the dead shall go. Beneath the earth, a horrible, deary, dark, disorderly land, an abode of the dead, and underworld, a common grave or pit, below the surface of the Earth, a place of dust, darkness, silence, either in comfort or torment, cut off from God's hand, and in forgetfulness.

The dead are described as "sleepers in the dust."

All the dead go down to Sheol, and there they lie in sleep together

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. How does Job's vision of resurrection (Job 19:25-27) differ from the Jews' former understanding of death as Sheol? What is progressive revelation?

Well, to start off, I have really enjoyed reading everyones answers this morning.

The difference is that the Jews see negitive and Job sees positive. I for one would much rather see Jesus one day then to think that I wouldn't. I have thought before about what it would be without God's presence in my life and that's a major spooky thought so I really wouldn't like the idea of never having Him around. ;)

As far as progressive revelation it's just what it says: progressive - one step at a time, revelation - learning the truth. I think this is why we are all on different levels in our christian walk because Jesus is teaching us at the level that we are at.

Q1. How does Job's vision of resurrection (Job 19:25-27) differ from the Jews' former understanding of death as Sheol? What is progressive revelation?

A life after death in the presence of God vs a place of darkness with no hope.

Progressive revelation is like a series of clues to a treasure.

the Jews prior to JOb's time, believed that sheol was a place of torment for all. As time passes by that the Lord, through His prophets progressively revealed about hell and His kingdom. Could it be possible that inthe time that the Jews starting to bring the bones of their fathers with them that there was already a belief of resurrection? Believing that when resurrection comes they would all be together at that moment?

Even though Job views that his physical body will forever been buried in the earth, his spirital soul will rise up again and he will see God with his own eyes in the new body that God has given him.

Progressive Revelation: God through his prophets reveals that the body/soul does rise again. In the beginning the Jews had a firm belief that once you were dead that you were placed in the everylasting darkness of death/sheol. But in Job he begins to reveal the truth and that there is life after death.

Job knows that he will be resurrected to be with God. Sheol was the dark deep regions of doom & gloom, where there is no presence of Yahweh at all. God revealed to Job, His Prophet, there is more than darkness or doom & gloom after death. This is known as progressive revelation when truth is revealed as times goes on. Gradual revelations.

Job's vision came from having a close relationship with God & the truth of life after death with God was revealed to him. The Jews, on the other hand, didn't know this truth & settled for a place of hopelessness after death.

Progressive revelation is the untangling of understanding little by little as God wills.

Job's vision indicates physical resurrection - the dead being raised in the flesh- because he says that "I will see God IN MY FLESH, after my skin has been destroyed. On the hand, Sheol represents a place of despair, gloom, darkness, hopelessness and a place where the presence of God is withdrawn.

Progressive revelation is the revealing of more truth to the children of God by God.

Job's view of resurrection was the raising of the physical body - making a perfect body in the flesh that could "view the Lord with perfect eyes". The Jews' view of this was their definition of Sheol - a place of darkness, despair, hopelessness, completely cut off from God with no hope of every being with him again - a kind of hellish limbo.

Progressive Revelation - the revealing of more information, more detailed information, over a period of time. Kind of like the explanation of something to a child as compared to the explanation of something to a mature adult. The truth is revealed over time as the recipient gains maturity and understanding

Job: God is present a time of joy and yearning. One will see God face to face. Where as sheol is emptiness beyond anything we know. Progressiver revelation a slow, gradual process. To see beyond the grave, deaTH.

I do not see that in the beginnng Jews only saw "Shoel" and referring to joining their ancestors only referred to joining them in the grave or place of despair. I see they new the grave, and they knew, not only hoped, that they will join their ancestors who were living, in some way or another. In Job the progressive revelation drew the attention or put some light on how this living will be and in what ways.

At the heart of the book of Job, is Job's confidence. What faith Job had even fgaced with death and decay . He expected to see God, and he expected to see him in his own body. Job actually became one if the first people to begen talking about the resurrection of the body.

Job's vision of resurrection is different from the Jew's, Job expected to see God in his own body. Leading us to believe in a phyical resurrection. Job saw a life with God, a life of love and joy..no more phyical pain and no mor sorrow.

Yhe Jew's on the oother hand did not believe in resurrection they believed that death meant dispair, hopelessness and no one would see God.

I believe that pregressive revelation means....that as we grow and progress in faith as we read the word of God we are able to understand more. Just as Job grew in faith and was able to see beyond the resurrection and see his redeemer.

At the heart of the book of Job, is Job's confidence. What faith Job had even fgaced with death and decay . He expected to see God, and he expected to see him in his own body. Job actually became one if the first people to begen talking about the resurrection of the body.

Job's vision of resurrection is different from the Jew's, Job expected to see God in his own body. Leading us to believe in a phyical resurrection. Job saw a life with God, a life of love and joy..no more phyical pain and no mor sorrow.

Yhe Jew's on the oother hand did not believe in resurrection they believed that death meant dispair, hopelessness and no one would see God.

I believe that pregressive revelation means....that as we grow and progress in faith as we read the word of God we are able to understand more. Just as Job grew in faith and was able to see beyond the resurrection and see his redeemer.

It seems to be that the Jews didn't believe in the resurrectio. Job seem to differ. It appears the he had insight to life after death. Job believe after all I am going through or have gone through there is life after death. Not only after death but Job experienced a resurrection in his life before death. He received more than he had before. What a blessing to know our redeemer lives.

The Jews understanding of death as Sheol was the grave, the darkness and being separated from God. Where Job's vision of the resurrection was being raised again beginning with Jesus Christ, that there is life after death. I think that progressive revelation is growing everyday in the Lord, the things that the Holy Spirit shows and teaches us day by day.

Death to the Jews was a finality. Job appears to believe that there is some sort of life after death. That something happens to the soul.

Progressive revalation is a belief or understanding that death is not an end--- there is something more than gloom and darknes in our demise.

Job believed that even after he died, he would one day see God in the flesh. Apparently, Job believed there was life beyond the grave.

The Jews believed Sheol to be a deep,dark region; a place of gloom and despair, where no one could no longer enjoy life nor feel God's presense.

Progressive revelation is the revealing of more truth as time goes on.

Here in Job we see his faith in God would deliver him from death, even if the worms had destroyed his flesh, he would stand before his Redeemer in a new body. The Jews thought that Sheol was just a dark gloomy place where no joy or light will be present.

Progressive relevation is, I beleive personally, the revelation given to us over time, from God, when He knows when we are ready/open for it.

The Jews believe that Sheol is a place where everyone goes at death. God is not present there. Job speaks about seeing God again after his death but Job will once again be in the flesh. This hints to the beginnings of understanding the resurrection of dead. Progressive revelation is revealing something gradually and not all at one time. The person (or people) must have time to grow into the truth.

The Jews view was that the dead were asleep in the grave where there is no life. Job however saw that in his flesh he would see God. He would see God with his own eyes. That even after his flesh had decayed, his flesh would be renewed and in his flesh would stand before God

Progressive revelation is a gradual revelation over time.

• 3 weeks later...

Job's vision is new and different from visions after death before in Old Testament. He says he will see God with his own eyes in his own flesh. Jews before thought of Sheol as a place of despair and emptyness, as nothing is possible - not to see God or give Him praise. This is progressive revelation - from nothing to knowing that after death we will still exist, like from Jews to Job and later in Bible.