JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Job's Vision of Resurrection

Q1. How does Job's vision of resurrection (Job 19:25-27) differ from the Jews' former understanding of death as Sheol? What is progressive revelation?

The Jews' former understanding of death as Sheol seems to refer to "the dark, deep regions, the land of forgetfulness ... a place of gloom and despair, a place where one can no longer enjoy life, and where the presence of Yahweh himself is withdrawn". But gradually, slowly, when God knows that His people are spiritually ready to receive a deeper message (progressive revelation), He begins to reveal to his prophets that there is something more than darkness beyond death. In Job we see a different vision "I know that my Redeemer lives,and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed,yet in my flesh I will see God;I myself will see him with my own eyes -- I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!" (Job 19:25-27) Job sees himself bodily resurrected and in the presence of the living God and redeemer, standing upon the earth.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. How does Job's vision of resurrection (Job 19:25-27) differ from the Jews' former understanding of death as Sheol? What is progressive revelation?

According to the Jews death is the end of life. For them Sheol is a place of total darkness, a place of gloom and despair, a place where nobody can be able to enjoy life.

But gradually and slowly the Jews mentality about death began to change. Job's vision of resurrection had shed light on the subject of death. Job was able to see life beyond the grave. The grave is no longer the end of life but rather life continues.

"Progressive revelation" means that there is something more than darkness beyond the grave. There is life everlasting.

Job 19:25 For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth.

Job 19:26 And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God,

Job 19:27 whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. My heart faints within me!

I think this means that when we die we will seee god and when we are ressurrected we will have bodies

• 3 weeks later...

[/

The Jews former understanding of death as Sheol refer to Sheol as "the dark, deep regions, the land of forgetfulness ... a place of gloom and despair, a place where one can no longer enjoy life, and where the presence of Yahweh himself is withdrawn." while Jobs vision of resurrection is progressive resurrection having the assurance that he will live again in the body after death. He declares "I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes -- I, and not another.How my heart yearns within me!" (Job 19:25-27).

Progressive Revelation is described as The revelation of God to His prophets that there is something beyond darkness after death.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Oh I believe, Job was tested, and Job believed and he believed it for himself . that he would see with his own eyes, he heard the promise of there being something more beyond the darkness. Where the Jews only knew of the despair with no presence of God

Progressive revelation is the way in which God began to reveal to his people was was to come and that it would include life after death. I like that thought even within my own life. Although I can read the bible and am fortunate to live in the times after the new testament was written. This Progressive Revelation is something that I think happens to each of us as we have those Ah Yah moments when God's words become clear to us

• 1 month later...

1.a. Job's vision of resurrection was one of hope in knowing that in his flesh he will see God with his own eyes on the last day and he longed for that day.

The Jew's former understanding was that they did not believe in resurrection from the dead. When you died you were dead and were buried and that was it.

b. Progressive revelation is that as time has gone by we know more today about resurrection as we study the Word and as God reveals this mystery to us.

• 1 month later...

1.a. Job's vision of Resurrection is one of hope and yearning that in his flesh he shall one day see God. The Jews understand of death as Sheol is one of doom, darkness and despair a presence where one can no longer enjoy life.

b. Progressive revelation is the revealing of more truth as time goes on.

• 8 months later...

http://www.joyfulhea...p?showtopic=567

(1) Job's vision were he would see Jesus one day with is own eye's that what he believed and trust in the Lord for

(2) I think progressive revelation is what we learn as we study the word, and we understanding it better as we go on in life .

Ans: Job sees the resurrection as hope for the righteous man to be redeemed to His savior where as the Jews sees no hope and only darkness. Progressive revelation is knowing that as you continue to seek knowledge and understanding God continue to reveal His promise to you more and more.

• 4 weeks later...

Job believed that he would see his redeemer face to face in his physical bodily state thus differing the Jews before him who believed that one went into a dark place called sheol.

Progessive revelation is a term used by theologeans to refer to God's continuous illunination of a truth thus making the subject clearer

• 3 weeks later...

Early Jews believed that following death, Sheol (the grave) was the end - it held only darkness.

God revealed to Job that death was not the end, there would be ressurection for the righteous.

Job 19:25 - 27.

"Progressive Revelation" is a term that is used to describe the fact that more truth will be revealed as time goes on.

• 4 months later...

Job believes that His Redeemer lives. Meaning Christ rose from the dead for us all. Believers will be with Christ forever after physical death. Old Testament Jews didn't talk about the resurrection. They believe dead is dead. Progressive revelation is revealing something a little at a time.

• 5 months later...

Job is saying he knows his redeemer lives and he will stand with him on earth.  He will rise up after being in the grave and he will see Jesus with his own eyes.  The Old Testament early days there was not a belief in resurrection.  Shoel was a place of the dead both good and bad.  Shoel was a place where one no longer enjoys live and lives in separation for God.  The progressive revelation is the God begins to reveal there is something more that darkness in death.  This evolved slowly.

• 2 months later...

The Jews thought of death as a deep sleep, where one would not be able to see or hear anything.  Job's vision of resurrection was that we would be able to interact with our God after we die.  Progressive revelation means revealing just a little bit of something more and more as time goes by.

• 10 months later...

I believe that Job is starting ot see the concept of life after death. He is starting to maybe see the concept of heaven and hell. He might be coming to the realization that there is more than just this life on earth.

Progressive revelation is when ideas or concepts are given to start with. And then more ideas or concepts are given after a period of time or after the origional ideas and concepts are understood.

• 1 month later...

How does Job's vision of resurrection (Job 19:25-27) differ from the Jews' former understanding of death as Sheol? As our text says, the Jews didn’t belief in resurrection. When Abraham died, he was "gathered to his fathers”, meaning his bones would be stored with theirs referring to the collecting and storing the bones after the flesh has decomposed. Job however has visions and confidence beyond the grave evidenced by several statements i.e. “I will wait for my renewal to come"; “And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God”; "I know that my Redeemer lives” and “I myself will see Him with my own eyes”.

What is progressive revelation? It is the teaching that God has revealed Himself and His Will through the Scriptures with an increasing clarity as more and more of the Scriptures were written. God reveals knowledge in a progressive and increasing manner throughout the Bible.

• 11 months later...

How does Job's vision of resurrection (Job 19:25-27) differ from the Jews' former understanding of death as Sheol?

Death was final to the Jews, that great terribleness that awaits you after dying whereas Job had hope of more, of being resurrected.

What is progressive revelation?

It is revelealing the future in little manageable bits

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The Jews did not believe the dead would raise again.They believed when you die you go to Sheol. Job belived firmly in spite of what he was enduring that he would be raised up again.

Progressive revelation is that more will be revealed to us as we go deeper into God's word.

• 1 year later...

Q1. How does Job's vision of resurrection differ from the Jews?

Greetings,

Job's vision sounds more like the teachings of today, that the dead in Christ will rise. This body we will lose and all goes back to our spirit.  Our body was a shell, but our souls?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

We start to get an idea that there is a real life after death that includes seeing God. That life just won't end in darkness away from God. Progressive revelation is more truth coming out as time goes on. But we actually can see this in our own personal lives when we are following God's will for our life (what we are called to do). God doesn't usually reveal everything all at once but as time goes on he reveals more and more about the calling on your life. Sometimes we want everything all at once and it just doesn't always happen that way and sometimes it's for the best.

• 5 weeks later...