JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Idea of "Son"

The word "Son" in this passage is used literally. We are told in Luke's gospel that Jesus conceived by the Holy Spirit so Jesus is biologically the son of God. The Son is the exact representation of the Father. The Message says that "the Son perfectly mirrors God, and is stamped with God's nature"

God did speak through the prophets at different times and in different ways, but through the Son, (who is the exact image of the Father) He speaks to us directly and personally.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Hebrews 1:2) In what way do you think the author of Hebrews is using the word "Son"? As a metaphor? As a biological relationship? How would a Son's words have more weight than a prophet's?

I think the word is being used as a biologial relationship because the term heir is used, which usually indicates that there is a blood relationship. He has appointed all things to his Son, if God cared more for anyone else wouldn't he divide the inheritance? Instead that is left to his Son. A Son's words would weigh more because the Son would know his father's will from observation and teaching.

Q1. (Hebrews 1:2) In what way do you think the author of Hebrews is using the word "Son"? As a metaphor? As a biological relationship? How would a Son's words have more weight than a prophet's?

The author is stating that Jesus Christ is the physical, flesh and bone Son of the One True God, this is not a metaphor, it is a statement biological fact. A son delivering a message from his father would always have much more weight that any other representative sent with a message.

• 4 weeks later...

Mainly I think it was said like that because it was a more personal response than using the word prophet because the Lord wants us to remind us what he did to cleasnse our sins. There were many prophets in the bible but their was only one son of God.

Sharon

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that Jesus is biological son of God because He was born of the Holy Spirit in a human body and is the exact representation of God. Jesus is the Spiritual Son of God because He was born of the Spirit who come from God. It would not be out of context to consider Jesus as being metaphorically the Son of God because Jesus and the Father are one and took the human body to reveal the Father to us and to do what the Father has commanded. My thoughts are Jesus is the Son because of what God has in mind for us - God wants us to know Him and to obey Him. Jesus not only represents the Father but He also represents what the Father wants us to be. Jesus is the Son because He is sent to those who are to become the sons of God. Jesus came from the Father, to reveal the Father to those who are not only to know Him but also to become like Him in order to satisfy the will of the Father. These people are in their turn, to become the sons of God. Glory to Our Father for His managing skills!

As a spirtiual conotation, Jesus is truly the SON OF GOD. Many different words were used to descibe the LORD, the light of the world, the bread of life the Word. The SON words would mean more than the prophets because 100% of the time He was in consant contact wiTh the Father. This is not to under estimate what the prophets said but as Jesus said noone knows the Father as The one who He has sent.

• 2 weeks later...

In the verse of Hebrews 1:2 I feel that they are using the word "Son" as a biological relationship because between a father and son it seemed a bit more personal as with any other bond between a parent and child. Jesus who is classified as the "SON OF GOD" was given much more up close and personal information from the Father. A Son's words would have more weight that any other prophet in this case referring to Jesus the Son of God he was from God.

• 1 month later...

Q1 I believe the Son is used litteratly as the biological "Son of God" Son of the father. God wanted to make a personal represntation of himself in the flesh as Jesus our Lord, by doing so Jesus was a more direct and personal messenger.

A sons word would have more weight as there would be more trust and honor in it.

• 3 weeks later...

The Lord Jesus Christ is the exact image of God's essential being. This cannot,of course,refer to physical likeness because God is in essence,a spirit. It means that in every conceivable way Christ exactly represents the father. No closer resemblance could be possible.The Son being God, reveals to man by his words and ways exactly what God is like

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is my belief that Jesus is the true one and only Son of God, I also believe in the trinity The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. God sent his Son in physical form to the earth to save us from sin. He is by far More than a prophet. He came here with the truth so we may know His Father God through him. He provides our way to his Father. That to me is no metaphor.

• 1 month later...

I agree that the author is making a literal as well as a spiritual correlation when he references Jesus as 'Son'. Jesus is the first of many heirs born according to scripture. He is the exact image and likeness of God therefore, He is a perfect representation of Him in the flesh. As one comment stated and I am in agreement that Jesus stated - "He who has seen me has seen the father." In the biological sense children often have traits of their parents both mother and father. The author is showing that Jesus has traits and characteristics of his father biologically. This statement really can be taken literally or metaphorically depending if we are looking from the spiritual realm.

A Son's words would have more weight than a prophet's because he is getting it directly from the source not second hand or guessing. "Jesus is the way. the truth, and the life". What he says is the truth. We either believe it or we don't. Scripture states " God is not a man that He should lie...."

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Hebrews 1:2)

In what way do you think the author of Hebrews is using the word "Son"?

As a metaphor?

As a biological relationship?

How would a Son's words have more weight than a prophet's?

Here we read that the Son is

• 2 weeks later...

I am reminded of the Parable of the tenants in mathew 21.

The landowner sends his servants to collect the fruit but they are beaten, killed, and stoned. I suppose like they mistreated the prophets (Mathew 5:12 "Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you").

But then the parable goes ont o say "Last of all, he sent his son to him. 'They will respect my son', he said."

very much like in hebrews 1:2 "but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son"

And much like Jesus was rejected and nailed to a cross the tenants say to each other "This is the heir. Come, lets kill him and take his inheritance."

The Father meant business when he sent his Son. The Son knows the Father and the Father knows his Son and was sent to speak to His people. As Jesus said in John 12 "I did not speak of my own accord, but the father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it."

We know God must really love us and considers the truth Jesus spoke to be very important to send his son in the knowledge that he would be killed and his message rejected by most.

• 1 month later...

I like to think God realized we could never understand the full implications of the trinity (God, Jesus, and Holy Spirit all in one but separate). I agree with the blogger who said "It is difficult to use human language to describe the relationship between Jesus and God the Father without using metaphor. To describe it as a "biological" relationship seems misleading, since biological relationships are between created beings. If the word is used to convey the idea that the very life of the Father is fully expressed in his Son, it may be helpful."

So my takeaway is God is telling me to think like Jesus is his biological Son. That way I can better relate to the author of Hebrews and to Jesus and God. Pretty smart, that God is!

• 5 weeks later...

I believe that it would be a biological relationship.The Father even spoke this is my son in whom I am welll pleased.He said on the cross Father forgive them for they know what they do.

I think it comes down to where Jsesus is talking I and my Father are 1 if you have seen me you have seen the Father

I believe that it would be a biological relationship.The Father even spoke this is my son in whom I am welll pleased.He said on the cross Father forgive them for they know what they do.

I think it comes down to where Jesus is talking I and my Father are 1 if you have seen me you have seen the Father

I believe that the word Son is being used in a biological sense. In vs 5 God says " You are My Son, Today I have begotten You. The Son is from God, is God, has always been but yet was sent to us, so in that sense it would be a metaphor. The prophets were people chosen by God to speak to us, but they were human and also fell short of the glory of Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the writer of Hebrews is using this word as a 'biological relationship',biological in the sense that they are One, not in the human context, in vs 5 he quotes Psa 2:7 "you are my Son today I have become your father." In Mt 3:17 at Jesus Baptism and again in Mt 17:5 at His transfiguration God Himself spoke and said " This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased". The writer knew the relationship between Jesus and his Father, The triune God. John 17 Jesus prayed to God

in v1 He says "Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you." Jesus Himself said here and a number of times that God was his Father, and in v5 He Prays "Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began."

The Son's words would have more weight than the prophets, because the prophets were men, they were humans just like you and me, interceded between God and man. They still sinned and made mistakes just like another man.

Jesus on the other hand was sent by God not called, he is sinless although he faced every sin, He is the creator of everything (Jn 1:3) Jesus was with God before the beginning of the world. It's not just a son that is the issue, it's God's very own Son.

Jn 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

In a sense if Jesus and God are One in effect, then you could say that Jesus 'The Son' called the prophets, Giving Jesus more weight than the prophets who were his voice

I believe when we think of a "Son". We think of someone who we are very close to, that we have grown up around, that we have given good advice to and that we trust. If I had to choose someone to carryout a task of mine today that was very important to me, it would be my son. I think that a parent and a son are very close in the way they think, act, etc. Most people think of their child as an "extension" of themself. We become "one" with our child. Jesus became One with God. Of course, ours is not a perfect union because we are not without sin......However, God and Jesus have that perfect union.

Many prophets told of the coming of Jesus in the Old Testament, yet it was still astonishing to everyone when they realized that God would speak through His son, Jesus.

But we know without a doubt today that when we speak to Jesus that God will take care of us and that all of our insecurities and hurts are understood and taken care of.