JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Holding On to Faith

We are reminded of the admonition to be aware of and guard against our tendancy to "drifting away"

Everything that the writer has said up to this point is encouraging us to "hold on" to what we know through Christ-to stay close to Him-to maintain our relationship with Him-to trust Him even when we are tempted by distractions and discouragement

We are the ones He has redeemed; we are "holy brethren"; we are participants with Christ in a "heavenly calling"; we are the house He is building - because He has fully and completely participated in physical life and death and accomplished His task, He is fully and completely able to help us "hold on" and remain confident until our task is finished

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Hebrews 3:6b) Why is the writer exhorting his readers to "hold on" to Christ? Why must we continue in our faith? According the writer of Hebrews, what happens if we don't?

We must hold onto Christ so that we would not go back to our old ways

We must continue in our faith so that we wont be rebellious but obedient and faithful to him

If we dont continue in faith we will waiver

The writer says to us that every house is built by someone but that God builds everything. He reminds me that man can build a house but it doesn't belong to man. It belongs to God. He says we are His house, If we hold on. If is a probability that some won't. (Righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe (Romans 3:22) and sad to say, not all believe.) But as Pastor outlined, believers can let go of our grip and loose courage, get distracted and get lost in doctrine. It was my experience when I lost courage, I lost my boldness. I believe I lost my boldness because I lost my will to boast (about Christ). I'm more then certain I lost my will to boast (about Christ) because I lost my Faithfulness.

With the writer reminding me that Christ is the son over Gods house and encouraging me to hold on, I picture how Christ held on by the skin of His flesh. This verse is very uplifting and exhilarating to me. It is the very boost I need to keep on keeping on, no matter what. It is the very Word that keeps under my skin when I am tired. A pressing on verse! For I am only His house if I hold on and keep the courage. Then I 'share in the heavenly calling', as he puts it in verse one.

Q1. (Hebrews 3:6b) Why is the writer exhorting his readers to "hold on" to Christ? Why must we continue in our faith? According the writer of Hebrews, what happens if we don't?

We must hold on to Jesus Christ because He is our only hope, our hope of salvation. We must hold firm to our faith.

We continue in our faith because we are His house, Jesus lives in us, Jesus is the Sent One from God. He is our High Priest, Jesus is over us (His house).

If we do not hold on to our faith, courage and hope we will lose it and become faithless.

To

Q1. (Hebrews 3:6b) Why is the writer exhorting his readers to "hold on" to Christ?

These Jewish believers are beginning to see tribulation coming for their way because of their stand for Christ. These Jewish believers are those who did not have their eyes blinded by God, they did believe that Jesus was sent from God to redeem mankind from sin, and is at the right hand of the Father who holds an everlasting covenant with Israel. Seeing they know the truth and the truth is living in them, they, and we, must never falter, no matter what tribulations come our way.

Why must we continue in our faith?

God has given to each of us a measure of faith to believer, once we see the truth, we must stand firm on the truth. God did not send Jesus to give us life, for us to trample on such an awesome gift, a gift we did not deserve, a gift given to us because of "Love." Stand firm on the truth, on this gift of love!

According the writer of Hebrews, what happens if we don't?

If we don't, there is no guarantee. Our guarantee is found in Jesus, He chose to live in us, He would not want to stay if we have lost our confidence, lost our hope, for it is this "Hope" that we can rejoice all the way to the end. It is the hope we have that keeps us strong, and our faith gets stronger and stronger each day we walk in the "Hope" we have living in us.

It is in our nature to change our minds, to revert to the way we have done thing in the past.

We must continue in our faith if we want to receive the eternal rest of God in his resting place.

Hebrews says if we stop holding to Christ, we will die in desert just as the Israelites who Moses lead out of Egypt died.

We are to "hold on" to Christ because it is so easy for us to lose our focus. We can easily be distracted so we need to fixate on Jesus.

We must continue in our faith because Jesus is worthy of our devotion.

If we don't continue in our faith, we will waiver and find ourselves prone to sin.

• 4 weeks later...

The readers of this Book of Hebrews were tempted to return to their Old Testament practices, including the animal sacrifices, instead of totally believing and giving of themselves to Christ Jesus, and believing in Him that He was indeed the final, last sacrifice they would ever need to return to a relationship with God and to have all of their sins forgiven by Him so they needed to believe, trust and to

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that we can turn away rather than go toward the rest that God has for his children. We must continue in our faith otherwise we can risk (not losing our faith as if we have to find where it went or where we placed it), giving it up and turning back to our former lives which Jesus has saved us from.

Forsake your faith; forsake heaven, our place of rest.

• 2 months later...

Holding on to faith is found in Hebrews 3:14, We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly til the end the condence we had at first. Salvation is evidenced by continuing in faith to the end. Such presernence reveals those who share in Christ found in the scripture in Hebrews 3:6.

• 2 months later...

Living in this world and life in general is hard...society grows further from God, it seems everyday. Holding on to our courage in the Lord...holding on to His truth about who He is, who we are and what His plan for us is, can be, at times easy to be distracted. I think the writer here is saying....stay focused on the prize, Jesus. Don't be discouraged by life in this world, maintain your hope in Him to be assured our habitation of Him.

• 2 months later...

We must hold on to our faith in Christ because that is when we will realize we are an active part of God's rest. If we don't hold fast to our faith, we will never enter this peaceful Rest. I believe we may begin to wander in darkness and labor, and toil in it while here on earth as well if we lose faith.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Hebrews 3:6b) Why is the writer exhorting his readers to "hold on" to Christ?

Hebrews 3:6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

The implication is clearly that we must make a conscious effort to hang on, to not let go, of our confidence and hope in Christ to the very end if we are to remain in the household of God. We must not be foolish enough to ignore that little 'IF' word.

To guard against having our hearts tricked by sin and falling away from God.

Hebrews 3:18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?

If we do not hold fast (firmly) to our faith to the very end, we will not be among those entering into the rest of God.

The writer of Hebrews exhorts us to "hold on" to Christ because the writer is aware that there is someone or something that is trying to pull us away from Christ. We must continue in our faith for two reasons: 1) our faith acceses the grace we need to be obedient, which is the joy of our salvation; and 2) if we lose faith in Jesus and leave the house over which He is a faithful son to God, we no longer have his covering for our sins, nor the grace by which we are made holy and since there is no other name under heaven by which man can be saved, we would be returning to a condemned house - and all condemned houses are destined to be burned.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been given free will, they could choose to stay or to go back to the Jewish religion. The exhortation was for them and is to believers through the ages, to choose to persevere...to cling to the faith we embraced at conversion, and to resist the strong pull of satan to abandon our faith in the throes of the spiritual, daily battle. He used the "house" as a metaphor for the struggle they were in, to return to The Law...of Moses, whom he said was a faithful ministering servant in the house, while Jesus, the Messiah and the Son, is faithful Master over His Father's house (of which we are members), and Who set believers free from the law. Our flesh always wants to quit when the going gets tough and to go back to the familiar, the known.

Q2.Why must we continue in our faith?

We must contend for the faith, nurture it, feed on Him and His Word, lest we wander away in rebellion in the day of testing, as the Israelites did in the wilderness, dying there, and failed to enter the promised land. There is a finish line to this "race", and continuing in faith brings a joyful and exultant confidence and sense of triumph in our hope in Christ (3:6)

Q3.According the writer of Hebrews, what happens if we don't?

We fail to enter into His rest (v11). "We have become fellows with Christ and share in all He has for us IF ONLY we hold our first newborn confidence and original assured expectation firm and unshaken to the end." (v.14) Unbelief feeds disobedience, and we act on what we believe...their unbelief shut them out (v19). and disobedient, hardened hearts could shut us out of His rest....out of His blessing, hold us back from our destiny...living a carnal life of fruitlessness, and for some, premature death (1Corin.11:30)

• 1 month later...

The write tells these Jewish Christians that they are part of the Messiah's household only if they remain firm in their faith. The same is true for us. By saying only, the writer indicates they will not be part of the Messiah's household if they do not remain firm in their faith.

Galatians 2:20 "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me,

and gave himself for me." This leaves no doubt that we Christians are Christ's abode here on the earth. Realizing this, how could we continue in sin? :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

- We are exhorted to focus our thoughts on Jesus because he is our High Priest who appeals to God on our behalf.

- We must hold on to our faith because we are only part of God's house if we continue firmly in our faith.

- If we are allowed to be shaken in our faith, we lose our focus on Jesus and we loseour courage and confidence in what we hope for.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The writer of Hebrews in 3:6b is advising readers of the passage to hold on to faith in Christ because that is the only way we can remain in the family of God.

We must continue in our faith in order not to drift away from the teachings of The Word so we will not be carried away by false doctrines and mislead by false teachers.

As a result of not continuing in our faith, we no longer can be partakers in the household or family of God.

• 3 months later...

Q1. (Hebrews 3:6b)

Why is the writer exhorting his readers to "hold on" to Christ?

We are to hold on to our Lord Jesus, thereby protecting us against the danger of apostasy. Also by persevering right until the end, we prove that we are His. At no time must we lose confidence in Jesus and in His promises; our endurance is proof that we are truly born again. We have everything to gain by