JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Sharing Our Weakness and Temptations

Q2. (Hebrews 4:15) In what ways did Jesus share our weaknesses? In what ways was Jesus' tempted? Because we know he didn't sin, were his temptations easier or more difficult than ours? Do we have any temptations he didn't have? Why does it comfort us that he can sympathize with our temptations and weaknesses?

1-Jesus share our weaknesses in the way of sympathy , I sympathies with as

2-He was tempted "just as we are"

3- The point is that Jesus' experience was both like ours and unlike our own

4-there is not any temptations he didn

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Hebrews 4:15) In what ways did Jesus share our weaknesses? In what ways was Jesus' tempted? Because we know he didn't sin, were his temptations easier or more difficult than ours? Do we have any temptations he didn't have? Why does it comfort us that he can sympathize with our temptations and weaknesses?

1-Jesus share our weaknesses in the way of sympathy , I sympathies with as

1-Jesus share our weaknesses in the way of sympathy , he sympathies with as

• 9 months later...

Jesus shared in our weakness by first giving up His glory and becoming human to living among humanity. I think it’s hard to say how easy or hard His temptations were because of who He is. He was tempted during a weak point in His life after fasting 40 days while in the wilderness. Though He had not eaten anything, it was still easy for Him to say no to Satan. I say this because Jesus knew who He was -- and Satan knew who He was too. In the wilderness, everything that Satan threw at Jesus already belonged to Jesus and they both knew it. So, to me Satan really wasn’t offering Him anything; like He really doesn’t offer believers anything either.

Now, Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane might be a little different. The Father turning away from Him, His being arrested, and the thought of what He was about to go through for a moment He became distressed or even fearful (His humanness surfaced). But, He realized His purpose for being on earth and overcame the stress of what was about to happen to Him. Like He said, He could call on His Father and get twelve legions of angels if He wanted too. But, He carried out the Father’s will by overcoming the world, death, and the grave; saving humanity which pleased the Father.

Yes, we experience the same temptations that Jesus did because Satan has not changed with His methods. This is why we can take comfort in the fact that our High Priest sympathizes with us and our struggles. He is our example on how to overcome temptation; He is our strength when we are weak, He is our Advocate with the Father.

• 5 months later...

Q2.Jesus share in our weakness in every way we as humans are, because he was man too.

Jesus was tempted in varios ways:

In power he was tempted to call a legion of Angels to fight for him

In wealth he was tempted when offered with all kingdoms of this earth

he was tempeted to show up his divinity in come out of the cross

I cant say if he did have the same temptations as we have but I believe that in all we are tempted he knows and is he who provides a way out for us, because we faced and overcame all temptation without yelding to any of them.

He knows, went through all temptations.

• 1 year later...

Jesus shares in our weaknesses because he was here in the person to have to go through the temptations that we have to go through. The difference is that he didn’t give into toughs temptations. I think that his temptations are the same as ours. I doubt that we have any more temptations then Jesus had. We know that Jesus knows exactly what we are going through.

• 2 years later...

Jesus being human experienced temptations just as we do. By being human he now knows what many of us go through, the desires of the flesh and that of course those that Satan proposed.

Jesus was tempted in all ways that man is tempted by. Being the Son of God and part God Himself, he now knows that man is weak, only by Jesus help are we able to over come trails just as he did. He was also tempted directly by Satan as in the wilderness, in the Garden of Gethsemane before going to the cross.

Because Jesus was sinless we can only imagine that Satan must have tried with all his cunning to get Jesus to sin. If Jesus would have give in to these temptations, then God's plan for our salvation would have failed and this is just what Satan hoped for, but failed. Praise God.

There are temptations in this day and age that Jesus could not have had, being our society has changed. However, he still knows what temptations are, they maybe be different but the trail is the same. Satan try's to get us to fail, to try and get us to lose faith, to make us feel unworthy of Christ, is his ultimate goal.

Knowing that Jesus, the Son of God, has been tempted and tested as a human, we feel the comfort he gives us and the assurance that he has overcome the world and we will too with His Holy Spirit living in us.        

• 2 years later...

Jesus shared our weakness by becoming human.  Man is weak!! that is why there is sin!!!  Jesus was able to feel emotions and physical pain as we do.  He was tempted by Satan and by his own disciples I am sure at some point or other during his teaching them. Also by his followers and those who opposed him, is accusers and many more no doubt.  there are a lot of stories and things that Jesus did that were not written in the bible, not that he sinned, but that he was tempted to.   To be sure there is no way he could have walked this earth for 33 years in human form and not be tempted!!  the difference between him and us is the fact that he yielded not to temptation!!!!!  I think that it was easier for him not to sin, even in his human form because he is God and there is no sin in him!!  He wanted to show us that through our faith, we could obtain the same thing. The flogging he withstood during his trial was a method that was used to make prisoners confess to their sins or crimes. They beat him so badly that he was unable to carry his cross all the way to the hill. I don't even want to imagine the pain of that, but at some point during that flogging, in his weaken condition I think he may have been tempted to confess to anything just to stop the beating.  I can understand it if he had.  that is where understanding our weakness would come from!

• 2 years later...

He shared them in all ways through becoming a man of sorrows, becoming like us,  he suffered hunger, he dealt with being tired, betrayal, and desertion, his own's disciple's denial of knowing Him, he dealt with pain and thirst and in the end he was tempted just like us but did not sin. I would say that they were harder. No. Because we can cry out to Him and He will hear us. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/14/2007 at 5:13 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

He was able to be tempted, limited by human intellect, body, and emotions.

Tempted in every way as we are.

Much more difficult. The pressure to sin must have been incomprehensible to us, as year after year  He did not sin.

No.

Because we still sin, requiring God's mercy to move forward in faith. Otherwise we are stuck, unable to grow.

Or even be saved in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

He shared in them through being like us as a human being. He grieved as we did, he cried, he hungered, he grew tired, he got angry as well, he got thirsty as well, He was tempted both in the wilderness and in the Garden of Gethsemane. I believe they would have been harder since they were different for him than us in a way. Since one dealt with ruling the world. I know however that He is able to defeat the devil as well. No our temptations are the same. Because we have a High Priest who can sympathize with us when we are tempted to sin.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q2. Sharing Our Weakness and Temptations