JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Spirit-filled Christian

Q2. (Hebrews 6:4-5) What difference, if any, would you find between the description in verses 4-5 and a Spirit-filled Christian today?

I guess I would have to describe it this way. When I first came to know Jesus Christ, I was 6 years old and seven months. While I was a child and growing up through my teen years and just moving forward in age, I never really spent time with Jesus, only going to church because it was the thing to do. Many people in this day and age, even elderly folks, do this. yet their lives and their life styles do not reflect Christ Jesus living in them. Nor did mine. When I met Christ Jesus in 2005, I really met Him for the first time. Before I knew OF Him. This new creature, fell in love with the man who saved my very life from attempted suicide, which I later of course had to repent of. Because I fell in love, I wanted to know more of Him and more about Him. The only way I even had a clue about how to do this was to read the only record we have of Him. The Words of scripture, the Living Bible tells us all about the Living God, through Christ Jesus. Now that I know Him in this way, I can not believe that I would ever turn my back on Him, yet once in awhile, I fall into temptation. The thing is, now I recognize through the examples of Jesus that He reminded His disciples over and over to watch and pray lest they fall into temptation. I recognized that I had gotten all tied up in something else that had taken my focus off of Him and on to something else. I had forgotten that I needed His Words to keep me lit up. The beacon of light that we are to be, in me had grown dim because I had not been filling myself with the oil of His word. Now I know that the falling away can happen, but yet I also learned something else. Not necessarily was this a bad thing because I learned a lesson from it. When Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert, it wasn

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Hebrews 6:4-5) What difference, if any, would you find between the description in verses 4-5 and a Spirit-filled Christian today? What is the writer's point in forming this description? Note: We agree to disagree, but we will disagree with love and humility toward one another in our words, as befitting genuine Christians! To keep us on track, let's limit our discussion to passages in Hebrews only, not the entire New Testament. Immoderate tirades will be removed from the Forum and poison tongues will lose their privileges to participate.

I see no difference between the Christians back then and the Christians today. We are all born through the blood that Jesus shed on the cross. What they had, we have today. Taking just these two verses into consideration, I see the writer asking what are you going back to? What we left was something that didn

• 2 months later...
Q2. (Hebrews 6:4-5) What difference, if any, would you find between the description in verses 4-5 and a Spirit-filled Christian today? What is the writer's point in forming this description? Note: We agree to disagree, but we will disagree with love and humility toward one another in our words, as befitting genuine Christians! To keep us on track, let's limit our discussion to passages in Hebrews only, not the entire New Testament. Immoderate tirades will be removed from the Forum and poison tongues will lose their privileges to participate.

I don't see any difference in these 2 verses. I refers to Christians who actually lose their salvation (turn away from God).

• 1 month later...

A spirit-filled Christian today recieves all that is in verse 4-5; enlightenment, sharing in the Holy Spirit, goodness of God and powers of the coming age. I beleive the writer describes it this way in order to show us what we can choose to have or to show us what we can loose out on. It is either a closeness with God or else a distant relationship with Him. Being spirit-filled resembles what a pillow is to a mattress. It assists with its covering.

For heavens sake, just sharing in the Holy Spirit alone is miraculous, and incredibly a gift that isn't wrapped in a box or with a bow!

• 3 weeks later...

I think that

• 4 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 6:4-5) What difference, if any, would you find between the description in verses 4-5 and a Spirit-filled Christian today?

It seems to me this passage is describing those who have more than a nominal experience with the LORD. These persons would be akin to the apostles who walked so closely with Jesus they not only witnessed His miracles but partook of their power also (as at the gate Beautiful where Peter imparts healing to a man lame from birth). How many Christians do you know in this day and age walking in such power? It would indeed be impossible for someone with that deep an experience to make a complete break away and then deny the power of God to be restored. That would be tantamount to blaspheming the Holy Spirit, which is the only unforgivable sin.

What is the writer's point in forming this description?

He was stressing the danger, brevity and consequence of those ministering and participating so closely and deeply in the full ministry of the gospel, and then doing a 180, completely denying it's truth and power as though it were mere sport or fabrication. There could be no greater transgression against Father, Son and Holy Spirit than that.

Today the indwelling of the Holy Ghost is what keeps a Christian today to fulfill their walk in Christ, in which Jesus stated or prophesied that the Holy Ghost will come. Jesus stated in John 14:26 "But the Comforter whom the Holy Ghost, when the Father will send in my name he shall teach you all things and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. So the Holy Ghost keeps a Christian faithful to God's word because it gives you the power to walk faithfully.

I believe the writer point is that every believer can't fulfill their Christian walk without being filled with the Holy Ghost which is our comforter and keeper.

• 2 weeks later...

If there is a difference between Spirit-filled Believers and the attributes described in verses 4 and 5, it could only be in degrees of how often and how long has one tasted the goodness of the word and the powers of the coming age. This is true because all Spirit-filled believers have experienced the goodness of the word, which is the gospel. For Paul writes in Ephesians, "you too were included in Christ when you heard the GOSPEL of your salvation, having believed, you were marked in Him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, which is a deposit guaranteeing your inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession - to the praise of His glory." It should also be clear, then, that believers have tasted the powers of the age to come, for the Holy Spirit Herself has come from that age with power from God.

The writer's point in forming this description for the reader is to cause the reader to identify himself with the description. For all of the scriptures are written for the profit of believers, and not apostates.

I believe readers and writers in this forum should work diligently to understand the purpose of these warnings which are very threatening to believers in disobedience against the backdrop of the assurance that they are for our profit and within the context of the whole letter, remembering that God disciplines those He loves on this side of eternity and that He doesn't discipline us until we become fully obedient; while we are in disobedience, He is kind to us with the intention that we would repent and come under obedience. Remember, if we repent, we will be punished for our past disobedience by Him who loves us and has mercy and remembers that we are but dust. Therefore, these readings should cause us to repent and not fall utterly away, because we much prefer to be disciplined in love on this side of eternity than in wrath for eternity. Why does God discipline us? To help us not sin, which is what we want and why He sent His Son - to save us from our sin!

• 3 weeks later...

1) It certainly sounds like there is very little difference. But I notice there is no mention of being Born again, or rebirth from above...specifically. These folks knew and worshipped Yahweh prior to this warning.

2) The writer was speaking to discouraged Jewish believers who were under persecution and were wanting to go back to their roots of Judaism to escape from the crosshairs of scrutiny...I think the writer, who had just chastised them for their immaturity, was warning them that now that they had met the true High Priest, it was foolishness to want to go back to the blood sacrifices of animals and temple worship. He is warning them that they couldn't go back there without consequence when they've experienced the fulfillment of what all of those things pointed to in Jesus Christ. Personally, I believe he was warning about fruitfullness, rather than salvation, as I read ahead to verse 9, and remember the chapters we've been studying. There is a definite warning here.

It seems that this must be one of Satan's favorite passages, because of the discord it stirs up among believers. I wonder if the Lord left it intentionally ambiguous, so that we will keep searching the scriptures and seeking Him for discernment.....to keep us on our toes, and from apathetic backsliding.If I were to believe it's about losing salvation, I would have to cancel out Jesus' story of the prodigal son who was dead to his father, yet repented and came home, and to stop praying for my own prodigal son, because it would be pointless if repentence is impossible once one has turned away. Jesus tells me He rejoices when one of His returns....the lost coin belonged to the woman who lost it and then found it again, and the lost sheep was one of the flock but the shepherd left the 99 which also belonged to Him to go searching for the one which had wandered off, and then rejoiced at the return. As for me, I'm going to keep watching and praying for him to repent and return..to stand in the gap for him until God's goodness leads him to repentance and to return to His Lord and Savior whom he met in childhood.....

• 1 month later...

It is true that the warning against apostasy is given to the whole visible church. It is real and has motivational currency for the truly regenerate. The warning is so powerful that it is effectual and none of those the Father has given the Son will perish. They heed the warning and flee to the grace of God which enables His people to live an overcoming life. They know that if they did blaspheme the Holy Spirit by insulting Him and recrucifying Christ, putting Him to open shame, they would be irredeemably damned. This fearful, sobering reality drives God's people back into His loving arms. This, I believe, was why the writer of Hebrews was convinced that his readers had "faith to the preserving of the soul" (Hebrews 10:39).

• 6 months later...

No difference. A Christian who is truly filled with the Spirit of God is just that regardless if he lived then or now. God does not change. Of course there are people who say they are filled with the Spirit of God but sometimes you may wonder by how they live, speak, or treat people, but God and only God knows what is inside of them. it is not my call but is God's. My call is to make sure I stay connected to God and leave the rest to Him. I think that is the writer's point, to warn you as an individual to take heed lest you fall.

• 3 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 6:4-5)

What difference, if any, would you find between the description in verses 4-5 and a Spirit-filled Christian today?

What is the writer's point in forming this description?

Note: We agree to disagree, but we will disagree with love and humility toward one another in our words, as befitting genuine Christians!

To keep us on track, let's limit our discussion to passages in Hebrews only, not the entire New Testament.

Immoderate tirades will be removed from the Forum and poison tongues will lose their privileges to participate.

I think the description adequately describes the Spirit-filled Christian of today. This is a warning against apostasy and should not be confused with backsliding. As true believers we may wander far away from Christ, but more often than not we will be restored to full fellowship with Jesus. On the other hand, apostates are people, who hear the gospel, profess to being Christians, become identified with a Christian church, and then abandon their faith, decisively disowning Christ, deserting the Christian fellowship, and they then take their place with the enemies of our Lord Jesus Christ. We should not confuse this with the sin of the average unbeliever who hears the gospel but does nothing about it. They may fail to respond to Christ after repeated invitations from the Holy Spirit; they are not apostates, for they can still be saved if only they will commit themselves to our Lord and Saviour.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Hebrews 6:4-5) What difference, if any, would you find between the description in verses 4-5 and a Spirit-filled Christian today? What is the writer's point in forming this description? [color="#FF0000"

I wonder if you intended to include verse 6? The question here is that somebody who has been a sincere and born-again Christian can renounce their faith and walk away from God. This is a question provoking deep disagreements between those who call themselves Calvinist and others who call themselves Armenian.

Calvinists would say once saved always saved ... ie. you can never lose your salvation. Whereas Armenians have a stronger emphasis on our free will that God has given us to choose to love and follow him or to turn our backs on him and walk away - at any stage of our life. This certainly is tragic when this happens and I have several friends who were once very committed Christians but have now no interest or commitment to following our Lord Jesus Christ.

I was at a meeting when a Bible teacher was asked are you Armenian or a Calvinist? He replied YES.

I believe this was a very wise answer. The point being that the truth is found in both camps. We are unwise to be dogmatic on such matters because we know God knows those who are His and God is much bigger then His revelation to us in the Bible... we have so much more to learn when we meet him in heaven.

the answer to the question - I don't believe there is any difference between the spirit filled Christian today and the ones that Apollos(?) was writing to. we all need to stay real close to our Saviour and keep our armour bright - we are at war and our enemy is constantly working to defeat us and have us deny our Faith and commitment to following Jesus.

God bless you you - are precious in his sight... kiwidenis

• 1 month later...

I believe that the words written so long ago have the same meaning today as they did in the past. Some like to think not. I think the author is talking of apostasy of Christ not of a sin, like stealing an apple or candy. According to his writings which come from the spirit of God tells us that once we have accepted Christ and have tasted heaven, if we fall away we can not repent again as we would be crucifying Jesus all over again. I as a modern day spirit filled follower of Christ find those words hard to accept,I do except them, as I believe they are true, just hard to believe as Jesus is so loving and forgiving it is hard to believe that if one who threw God aside then came back whenever and truly tried to repent that God will close His ear to them. I know what the bible says and I ask for understanding and guidence with this. This is a question that has been asked a few times of me and of course they do not like what the word says and then question Gods love. How blessed we are who walk in Christs` Word! I think the writer was trying to teach us not to take Gods` love for granite. God has given us away to salvation, a free gift one we do not deserve, but do not abuse it!

• 1 month later...

There is not much difference in the Christian then and the Christian today. We get caught up in being so religious that we somehow forget the true meaning of what the Gospels has to say about God, and we start to do things our way. I believe the writer

• 6 months later...

According to the discription given to us in verses 4-5, I see NO difference between those he was writing to at the time and the Spirit-filled Christians today. This discription says that as believers we are to be enlightened, knowledgeable of Word of God, filled with the Holy Spirit and have experienced the miracle(s) of God. . . I beleive that as these experiences define us we ought ot want to be more diligent in these experiences and other experience that contribute to our continued growth and maturing in Christ. . .It is when we fail to do the things that contribute to our spiritual progression we find ourselves yielding to the temptations that result in apostasy. . .I.m not saying that our growth has to be leaps-and-bounds kind of growth - but there should be some steady growth - however small and minute it might be - steady growth / constant growth allows us to successfully combat and overcome temptations to become apostate. . .

B)

• 2 months later...

The only explanation I have is that it could be referring to christians that are deeply involved with the things of God but still have areas where they REFUSE to repent. I think of the believer who is habitually disobedient; which is different from the believer who has a genuine struggle with sin (Romans 7). I don't believe that anyone is beyond being saved by God. He will always accept sinful man as long as there is TRUE repentance.

I don't know if this really answers it but I tried my best. :unsure:

• 3 months later...

Hebrews 6:4-5- For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, Matt 12:31; Heb 10:26; 1John 5:165 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come

Answer:There are indeed a lot of interpretation on this verse.

Once Save always save

1.0 Once save always save.That you cannot lose your salvation through grace by Faith.Because if you are save by Grace,unearned,unmerited favor from God,then you cannot lose it by deeds or action,other than renouncing such Grace and Faith.It is only man,who put a measure until what degree the Grace of God is..that you are ok as long as you do this,but if you do this then you are fallen from grace.

Gods kind of Love and Grace is immesurable,unconditional.Nobody can put a standard on Gods Grace or separate us from the Love of Christ.

Romans 8:35-Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine

Romans 8:39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. ne, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

2.0 It is impossible for a born again believer to be saved again if he renounce his Faith.When we talked born again believer here,it means spirit filled Christians.

However in the Bible we see one of the greatest forgiveness that Jesus exhibits,and extend to one of his disciple who Jesus also know before hand ,that will deny him, not once but three times.Peters denial is found in four Gospel: Matthew 26:69-75; Luke 22:55-62; John 18:15-18, 25-27; Mark 14:66-72:

Peter denial of Jesus,and His faithlessness was emphasized by the progression in book of Mark,1stTo a woman;2ndto a group of people;3rdby swearing

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 6:4-5) What difference, if any, would you find between the description in verses 4-5 and a Spirit-filled Christian today? What is the writer's point in forming this description?

Back when I was just a new believer, I back-slid for a time. I had only been a Christian for a short time, and I just walked away. Now that I have been a Christian for many years, and have studied the Word of God and have grown in my understanding somewhat, the thought of withdrawing like I did before never enters my mind. I have come too far, and learned too much to go back now. I believe if I went back now, then there would be no chance for me to come back to God through Jesus Christ ever again. Also, how can one go away from God when they have been sealed with the Holy Spirit? One can't! The Holy Spirit will be calling us back. I know He dogged me all the time to get back where I belong! I thank God Almighty that I listened! If I offened any one, I am sorry-I just thought it would help if I shared my experience-that's all.

Q2. (Hebrews 6:4-5) What difference, if any, would you find between the description in verses 4-5 and a Spirit-filled Christian today? What is the writer's point in forming this description? <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Note: We agree to disagree, but we will disagree with love and humility toward one another in our words, as befitting genuine Christians! To keep us on track, let's limit our discussion to passages in Hebrews only, not the entire New Testament. Immoderate tirades will be removed from the Forum and poison tongues will lose their privileges to participate.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

No, there is no difference. If apostasy continues on its course unchecked, an individual may eventually reach the point when no second beginning is possible. A person who once had a saving experience with Christ but deliberately and continually hardens his or her heart to the Holy Spirits voice, continues to sin willfully, and refuses to repent and return to God, may reach a point of not return where repentance and salvation is no longer possible. I don't think it can be emphasized enough that while apostasy is a danger for all who drift from the faith and fall away from God, it is not made complete without constant and willful sinning against the voice of the Holy Spirit. I think the point the writer is making that we have to examine ourselves every day, are we sinning in any way, are we in true faith, are we believing God's Word, are we making it our life.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 6:4-5) What difference, if any, would you find between the description in verses 4-5 and a Spirit-filled Christian today? What is the writer's point in forming this description? <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Note: We agree to disagree, but we will disagree with love and humility toward one another in our words, as befitting genuine Christians! To keep us on track, let's limit our discussion to passages in Hebrews only, not the entire New Testament. Immoderate tirades will be removed from the Forum and poison tongues will lose their privileges to participate.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

1) I do not believe that there is a difference between verses 4-5. These verses identifies events of a true believer and what has happpend in their lives. It tells us that true believers do not go back to the old way of life.

2) I think the writer is warning us of the impossibility of repentance for those who have fallen away after receiving the blessings from God.

• 9 months later...

The spiritually immature may not be secure enough in their faith to know NOT to reject God’s offer of salvation. I view this passage similar to the Parable of the Sower (Matthew 13). There are some who are more mature in their faith and for whatever reason may fall and others may not. Either way, God wants to save everyone, including the backslider. Spirit-filled Christians are supposed to be more mature than babies. However, they are human and live in the flesh just like us all. They are not perfect no matter what others may think. That’s why Paul warns us not to think more of ourselves than we ought too.

Therefore, I view this passage to ALL believers not just a specific group. Only the writer of the book knows what he or she meant in this description. My speculation would be that it was more of a warning to the readers not to reject Christ or His offer of salvation and that those who believe in Him will be saved.

• 5 months later...