JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Spirit-filled Christian

I don’t think that there is any difference between the verses 4-5 and the Spirit-filled Christian today. I think that the writer’s point in forming this description is to point out the most positive things about the Christian life. We have been given these fantastic gifts and why would we want to throw them away.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Hebrews 6:4-5) What difference, if any, would you find between the description in verses 4-5 and a Spirit-filled Christian today? What is the writer's point in forming this description? Note: We agree to disagree, but we will disagree with love and humility toward one another in our words, as befitting genuine Christians! To keep us on track, let's limit our discussion to passages in Hebrews only, not the entire New Testament. Immoderate tirades will be removed from the Forum and poison tongues will lose their privileges to participate.

In Hebrews 6:4-5, as describing a person who has tasted the word and the Holy Spirit filled life would most likely not turn from God.Even if he quit going to church and had no fellowship with other Christians, I believe the Holy Spirit would continually remind him that he was a child of God and had attained salvation through Christ. He would be a lost sheep whom the Lord would seek to find and bring back. Perhaps in this day and age a person could fall into a drug addiction that would steal or replace his spirit filled life with a false belief in the drug and he would be drawn away Christ. Jesus stated in John 10:28b-29, concerning his sheep " and no one is able to snatch them out of My hand. My Father, Who has given them to Me, is greater and mightier than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand". We would end up being the Prodigal son or daughter.

Perhaps the author of Hebrews 6:4-5, writes to point out in these two verses, that one that who has tasted the goodness of the Lord and falls away, would be crucifying the Lord again and making a public disgrace of Him, if they wanted to come back into the fellowship of the Lord. If a person totally turned his back on the Lord he would be an apostate, the Holy Spirit would no longer convict him of sin, for this person's heart has become stone to the Lord. Perhaps this person was not totally convinced of his salvation, never a true believer.         

• 2 years later...

there are those of us who were raised in the faith of the New Testament in that we believe in the resurrection of Christ and the life in heaven which is promised through salvation. At some point, for some, during growth and living in this vast world with many voices and opinions and interpretations, and because of lack of conviction or just plain weak and easily influenced, have  changed our minds and turn to another belief that is not what we have been taught.  And I am using the word "us" because it is easier for me to explain or express what I am saying,  not that I have fallen away, or any of you,  but there are some who have.( And I am trying to make my grammar agree!!) (lololo). These are the ones who are different from the Spirit filled Christians of today.  Once a person has denounced Jesus Christ and no longer believe he is risen from the dead , it is impossible to repent.  that is what is meant here. not for those who still believe in the resurrection,  but for those who don't believe.  There is a difference in sinning unaware and repenting when you learn of it or being weak in a moment and turning from your sin asking for forgiveness and being sincere about not repeating those sins and asking for strength and guidance not to sin again.  God knows the heart of every man, and for those who reject him, there is no forgiveness. The Jews who continued to follow the law of Moses and did not accept Jesus as the promised savior in the New Testament were lost and did not receive the promise. Those Jews and  later Gentiles who were taught the gospel of Jesus and believed in the resurrection of Christ and that he was , is the promised savior of the old testament, and trusted and walked in his word and did the will of God, entered his rest,  they were, are saved.  Paul was a sinner, one of those Jews who did not believe, who was brought up in the law and was a devout believer in the law to the point of persecuting Christians and the church.  But when God chose him and opened his eye and he believed, repented, confessed and was baptized, he continued in this faith and belief and did all he could to bring people to believe has he did.  He truly believed before his conversion that what he was doing was right.  And once he realized that he was wrong, and repented, he was just as committed in his new belief as he was in his old, never reverting back to it. This is the difference between  verses 4 and 5 and the spirited Christian of today.

• 2 years later...

Q2. (Hebrews 6:4-5) What difference, if any, would you find between the description in verses 4-5 and a Spirit-filled Christian today? What is the writer's point in forming this description? Note: We agree to disagree, but we will disagree with love and humility toward one another in our words, as befitting genuine Christians! To keep us on track, let's limit our discussion to passages in Hebrews only, not the entire New Testament. Immoderate tirades will be removed from the Forum and poison tongues will lose their privileges to participate.

I believe there is actually no difference between two since both of them have been touched by the Lord's word and His blood and sacrifice as well. The point of the passage is this both of them can turn away however one can turn back and be received back by the Lord while the other can not. It is a warning to all of us that we need to be on our guard and keep the armor of God on at all times. 

• 2 years later...

(Hebrews 6:4-5) What difference, if any, would you find between the description in verses 4-5 and a Spirit-filled Christian today? What is the writer's point in forming this description? 

All rebuking is good if it is reasonable. If someone falls "far away" and stops going to church, stops communicating, we can only pray for that person, and they will eventually return to Christ. We must believe this. But we must not adopt any sinful activities they have begun to practice, like strong drinking, anger about anything, or out of the lines of the fruit of the Spirit.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q2. Spirit-filled Christian