JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Yesterday, Today, Forever

Q3. (Hebrews 13:8) What is the significance of this verse for the original readers? For you? For understanding just who Jesus is? For believing in the power of God for today?

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and for ever."

For the original readers this would have had two different responses:

1. Unbelievers this is heresy because only God can make this claim.

2. Followers of Jesus Christ - this is an amazing and encouraging, faith building promise from the Lord. the same Jesus they talked with and knew on earth so recently will remain unchangingly faithful to his promises and his mercy, as they knew him to be when he walked amongst them.

For me today it is the same as number 2. Knowing that Jesus Christ is to he claims to be - and he is unchanging - I know I can trust when I don't always understand what's happening because he is always the same - because he is God. he is faithful, trustworthy and always with me and watching over me through the power of his Holy Spirit. therefore I do not fear whatever is happening now or in the future. I also know that my future after death is secure... my name is already in the 'Lambs book of life' and I look forward to (and some days I long for) the joys of heaven... blessings - Kiwidenis

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Hebrews 13:8) What is the significance of this verse for the original readers? For you? For understanding just who Jesus is? For believing in the power of God for today?

I would say that it is the same to me as it was to them, that Jesus is the same always, unchanging.Jesus is God, three in one, Father Son Holy Ghost all working together.They got to see Him in human form and go thru all that God wanted Him to do, and thru their faith and works I also get to see the Lord at work thru others that follow Him. As the verse says: Jesus Christ is the same yesterday today and forever. For us who believe that has unending power. :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking at verses 4 and 5, it struck me that the author emphasizes sexual purity and being careful not to love money. There are other societal ills that plague us today, but these two issues are prominent destroyers of relationships. They change people into something they never thought they would be, and cause them to do things they never thought they would do.

But inspite of all of our inconsistencies, Jesus never changes. What's significant is that God knows there will be times when we don't choose to honor Him. He understands our plight as weak human beings, thus the reason Jesus died on the cross. God is not a man that He should lie; He will perfect the work He began in us; while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us; do not be deceived, God will not be mocked. When we are unfaithful, He is faithful. Though we may mess stuff up, God will still carry out His plan, as He will not allow someone or something else to get the glory only He deserves. ;)

• 3 months later...

Answer:

Hebrews 13:8-Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

1. What is the significance of this verse for the original readers?

The writer is giving assurance to the original readers to hold on to Jesus,as what the previous Heroes of Faith Does..(Hebrews 13:7-Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.).

That the power of Jesus did not diminish,nor change..if He does it before,He will do it again today,and forever more..

2 For you?

I am always assured that there is a power9In Jesus) out there always,looking after His people,whom the Father chooses(John 6:44- No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.).

I am always at peace knowing that all things will turn together for Good,wheter my circumstances are not good,or bad(Romans 8:28).I know that I have My Jesus who said that HE WILL NEVER LEAVE ME NOR FORSAKE ME,because HE doesn

Answer:

Hebrews 13:8-Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

1. What is the significance of this verse for the original readers?

The writer is giving assurance to the original readers to hold on to Jesus,as what the previous Heroes of Faith Does..(Hebrews 13:7-Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.).

That the power of Jesus did not diminish,nor change..if He does it before,He will do it again today,and forever more..

2 For you?

I am always assured that there is a power9In Jesus) out there always,looking after His people,whom the Father chooses(John 6:44- No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.).

I am always at peace knowing that all things will turn together for Good,wheter my circumstances are not good,or bad(Romans 8:28).I know that I have My Jesus who said that HE WILL NEVER LEAVE ME NOR FORSAKE ME,because HE doesn

• 2 months later...

This verse speaks to me about Jesus being the same today as He was back when He walked the earth! He never changes, and what He did back then, He will do now! That is so wonderful to know! God's power is just as real today as it was back when the Israelites were wandering through the dessert! Glory to God!

• 3 months later...

The truth that Jesus Christ does not change provides a sure anchor for our faith. It means that present day believers must not be content until they experience the same salvation, communion with God, baptism in the Holy Spirit, and kingdom power that the New Testament believers experienced in their service to God thrugh Christ Jesus. God's Word stands true today. He works today as He did thousands of years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

The significance of verse 13:8 for the orginal leaders is that Jesus will never change. He will not forsake us. The other leaders died in the faith, Jesus will live forever. For me it means that nothing changes when it comes to Jesus. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Jesus continues eternity. The promises He made are eternal. Things that He did in the past, He still does today.

• 7 months later...

The significance of this verse is Jesus is unchanging. He is eternal – past, present, and future. Things He did when He walked this earth thousands of years ago, He can and will do today in this time. Jesus is the beginning and the end of everything and was around before the creation of this earth and humanity. He is alive forever, can and will save whoever comes to Him, and will always be there to intercede for His sheep.

• 1 year later...

It gave them the assurance that they could always count of God being there. He always has been and He will always be there. This is the same for me that it assures me that He will always be there.

We know what Jesus did while he was here on earth and everything he did then we can count on it still happening today.

• 2 years later...

Hebrews 13:8, this verse to the original readers and it's significance of it was that the believers of the early church were in the verge of falling back into Judaism and the old covenant laws, that Christ was the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Christ was the permanent priesthood, able to save completely those who come to God through Christ.

This tells me that even though centuries have passed Jesus continues to be who he was and is. He promises then are good for believers today.

This verse tells me that even though times and cultures have changed, Jesus made his promise he would never leave us or forsake us, he is the same today as he was then.

Believers in the power of God know with out a doubt, that Jesus still heals, his miracles are the same today as when he was on earth, even greater things will we do, if we have faith in him.  

• 2 years later...

This verse states that God never changes.  His word is true and He is the same God from the beginning.  Man and earth may change but God never will.  The same promises He made to his faithful people  in the past are good for His people today. We try to change the way we worship and praise from generation to generation.  But God's word is the same until all eternity.  I love reading the New Testament when Jesus was teaching his disciples and the religious leaders in the temples . He always quoted the Old Testament prophets.  Even after He came and  fulfilled them, the prophecies were still the same.  He spoke of them as if He lived them in that time.  His word never changes. Why do we try to change it to suit our needs???  We can't.  We can't make it different or jazz it up to fit the modern day.  Even over the centuries in the different translations of the bible,  He is the same, the word never changes.  The Holy Spirit translated the same truth in all of them.  He is the same !  You may believe  or not believe but that doesn't change it.  You can't add to it, or take anything from it.  He is!  AMEN!

• 2 years later...

It means that Jesus is unchanging to them, completely consistent and He will not change. For He is the eternal God whose ways are everlasting. What He says He means. It means for me I can completely trust Him and His word. It proves that the Lord is the eternal God who will return again soon. It means that His power is immutable and won't change. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2007 at 5:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Jesus offered the same power for abundant & eternal life and power to save for the Hebrews as for their leaders.

For me He still has the power to save me and cause me to live a fruitful life for Him.

He is Lord, Saviour, compassionate priest and guide.

He is active in my life, providing, saving, healing teaching me from His word and by the power of His Holy Spirit.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q3. Yesterday, Today, Forever