JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalms 42-43

Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle? How does he combat his spiritual depression? Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

The Psalmist feels without God. He feels alone. He combats his depression by "yet"(key word in both psalms) singing God's praises, remembering times when he knew God to be with him, and by formulaically questioning and encouraging his soul as if it were apart from him, rather than questioning God. He retains faith in what he cannot see at this dark time of his soul, believing despite the darkness that "Yet the Lord will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life." (Ps 42:8)

I have felt this way many times. When I do, I turn my burdens over to God, for it is my own finite mind that longs for control that creates such feelings in me. I pray and praise, as David did, and try not to think too much, and rebuke questions of doubt recognising as David did that they are from "the enemy" and that my soul is made to trust in God's presence and help.

Sarah

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle? How does he combat his spiritual depression? Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

THE PSALMIST IS IN A STATE OF DEPRESSION. HE TALKS OF HOPE THAT HE WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE AND REJOICING IN GOD AGAIN. HE CALLS GOD TO MIND. HE STARTS TO SING AND TO PRAY TO GOD AT NIGHT AND DAY. YES, I AM AT A STATE WHERE I WANT MORE AND MORE TO KNOW AND SEEK GOD IN PRAYER FOR ALL SITUATIONS IN MY LIFE. I STARTED TO DELVE DEEP IN THE STUDIES OF THE BIBLE, PRAYING FOR THE UNDERSTANDING OF HIS WORD, ALSO TO WANT A STRONGER PRAYER LIFE. THAT IS WHY IS DECIDED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE STUDY OF GODS WORD IN THIS BIBLE STUDY OF PSALMS IN HOPE THAT I HELPS ME .

Lesson 2, Q2 (Psalms 42-43)

David is experiencing pain, anguish, and misery, which has taken a toll on his spirit. He is feeling spiritually dry and thirsty; needs deliverance from his oppressors; he is plagued by doubt; and feels forgotten, rejected, and dejected. But most of all, he wants to be in God

• 5 weeks later...

1) The psalmist is feeling a spirtual thirst for God, he has been cut off from worshiping.

2) He combats his spiritual depression by reminding himself of the worship he had experienced and of Gods goodness, he remembers God is his rock, his hope, his place of refuge. In Psalms 43 the psalmist prays to God, asking for deliverance. When doubt or stress is present he speaks to his inner man, so that he can keep believing and prasing God.

3.) Many times, I cry out to God, sometimes in frustration, sometimes questioning him, sometimes angry, and sometimes needing help. Through these times of doubt, struggles and stress, I draw closer to God and in my longing to be near HIM I find hope, peace, shelter and realize He is my rock, my hope my strength, and I begin to praise HIM, love HIM and tell HIM how much I need HIM.

that he wants to go and be with god as it says in the bible as the deer pants for streams of water so my soul pants for you 0 god he puts all his hope in god thats how he got over his depression for i will yet praise him my savior and my god yes i couldnt reach out to god i wish i could have but my dad died and i was so upset and hurt that at the time i was so angry at god because i felt he took the person i loved the most away and im still living in pain but i know now that god didnt do this it was his time to go so god took him to heaven hisname is arthur raymond tibbetts and he was tthe best father a person could ever have god is number 1 now but ill never stop loving my dad ever

a very deep depression he conquers his depression by puting all his hope in god and praiseing god he says for i willyet praise him my savior and my god yes many times i couldnt i was very mad at god but i know now to always pray to god about everything he loves me and i love him

• 3 weeks later...

He is feeling a thirst for the living God, and wants a meeting with Him. As he pours out his soul or maybe cry out to God, he remembers the days he would go to the house of God leading the peoples in procession with shouts of gladness. Then in Psalm 43 he asks God to exonerate him, and plead his cause against an ungodly nation to rescue him from evil men.

He combats his spiritual depression by talking to himself. He asks himself why so sad, and tells himself to put his trust in God. He tells himself that he will forever praise God. In Psalm 43 He tells God that He is his stronghold. But asks God why has He rejected him. He tells God to send His light and truth to guide him, so that the light and truth will take him to the holy mountain where God lives. He will go to the altar of God his joy and delight where he will praise him with the harp. Yet again as in Psalm 42 he asks himself why sad and so disturbed. Then proceeds to tell himself put your trust in God and that he will forever praise Him, His savior and his God.

Have I ever felt this way? I realize that we have all felt this way at least once or twice in our lives. I felt such a terrible sadness and despair last year when I lost my job due to illness. How I felt so lost at the time, because I was somewhat distant to my God because of that job. I spent two weeks crying and asking God what was wrong.

How did I reach out to God at that time? I began picking up the bible, the honest and true word of the living God. I had wise women of God talking to me, and inparting the word of God into my soul. I had the support and love of my husband, and my children. Today, even though I still have trials, I take it one step at a time. Still the word of God is all around me, still my husband and family, and yes still those two women. Praise God almighty.

• 2 months later...

He was thirsting for God, and plagued with doubt, depression and people taunting him. Yes, I spent most of my life in such a state. About 40 years before I got saved, and then a period of time after I got saved. I have to tell you that having God in my life helped the healing to go far more quickly. But before I could find solace from God I had to change my way of thinking about God - I had viewed Him as an abusive father, and had to learn that He was nothing like my earthly father. The way I began to heal from this was to spend time in the Word of God (God gave me a hunger for His Word), spending time in Church hearing teachings and Bible studies, and spending time with God. I also learned, that just like these Psalms portray, God is not afraid of our strong feelings. In fact, the best thing we can do is bring them to God - He keeps secrets, doesn't spread Gossip, and gives us a safe way to vent.

It took me a long time to begin to transfer blame for what happened to me from God to satan, and then to begin to realize that I did not have to be a victim, but was a victor in Christ. And over time, bit by bit, grain of sand by grain of sand, my healing happened and my relationship with God grew.

At some point I apologized to God for my years of not liking Him very much and He said in my spirit, "That's ok Heather, at least you were talking to me." I would not think to say the same things to God now that I did then, but I have to tell you that I am so eternally grateful that God understands, takes our pasts and heals them, and is willing to listen in a loving fashion until we finally have our eyes open to the truth.

Heather

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle? He is feeling like

God does not hear him while his enemies draw near.

How does he combat his spiritual depression? He continues to hope in God and to call out to him. He continues to praise God even when he feels this spiritual depression trying to overcome him.

Have you ever felt this way? Yes, very recently in fact. my husband walked out on our marriage because he believed that I was not spiritual enough for him and accused me of being a Satan worshipper. He also stole a lot of money from me and my son's car telling me the entire time that he was doing these things in Jesus' name.

How did you reach out to God at this time? I called several of my friends that were in the church and we had several sessions of prayer for myself and my husband. I also told my husband that I forgive him for what he has done and I asked for his forgiveness for anything that I may have done to make him feel this way. He refused to forgive me, so I just put everything in God's hands and asked for God's forgiveness and peace. God has given me both and I continue to praise him and to seek Him daily.

Thank you,

Love Jesus

• 1 month later...

To be is such erenest pain either spiritually or even physical you only need to call out His name and He is there. When all other hope is gone Jesus is there. Yes we should seek Him first but we usually don't. We look for our Lord as a last resort. Oh how foolish we are. The scripture speaks of us not praying because we don't know how but to be in such agony that one can't even formulate the spoken words and God is still there. The Holy Spirit will pray with groanings that we don't understand on our behalf. Is this the only way we learn to praise and worship the Lord? So sad, to bad but now I'm glad.

To be in such erenest pain either spiritually or even physical you only need to call out His name and He is there. When all other hope is gone Jesus is there. Yes we should seek Him first but we usually don't. We look for our Lord only as a last resort. Oh how foolish we are. The scripture speaks of us not praying because we don't know how but to be in such agony that one can't even formulate the spoken words and God is still there. The Holy Spirit will pray with groanings that we don't understand on our behalf. Is this the only way we learn to praise and worship the Lord? So sad, to bad but now I'm glad. Jesus is Lord!!

• 3 weeks later...

The psalmist is struggling with the turmoil that is swirling around in his innermost being, and struggling to reach up into the heavens, and see past his dark clouds of doubt, and see God's light. The psalmist is reminding himself of his past experiences with God, his voice of joy, and praise, he has to talk himself through this trial, and be reminded to hope in God.

This psalm reminds me of a situation that I faced where I had these exact feelings. I was going through such a depression, and I really had to talk myself through it, and remind myself of my past experiences with God, my voice of praise, and joy. Just at my darkest hour I began to praise Him, and the storm clouds lifted. Just like David playing his harp, sometimes I would get on the keyboard, and just start singing songs to Him, and I could feel the sun breaking through the clouds.

• 2 weeks later...

The psalmist was experiencing spiritual dryness and he was thirsty for the closeness and the presence of the Lord. The psalmist combats by hanging on to the hope and remembering what God has done and will do. Remembering his dependence on the Lord. That he could not do without the Lord. Yes, I have felt this way and it is a miserable feeling. Praise God that he will bring us through. I reached out to God by praying, seeking his face, believing and trusting in his word, ans speaking his word, and confessing his truth.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle? How does he combat his spiritual depression? Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time? He was feeling that God present was not with him. Thou he prayed day and night, he cry all night long his life was not looking as if God heard his cry. He was very depressed, but he didn't stop he keep praying, and crying out to the Lord but than he began to be still. Sometime when I didn't understand that God wanted me to just be still I continue to pray over and over for the same thing but had to understand that God heard my pray before I asked. He only wanted me to stand still so that I didn't continue to be in the way of my blessing. We must not only stand still but listen for his direction in what we do next. I thank God for allowing his Holy Spirit to teach me to be humble and direct me go in the path that I should go even if it takes a while I'm still going on his direction. Thank you God for your Son Jesus, what greater Love.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle?

ANS - He is feeling deeply discouraged, disturbed, and rejected, so much so that he has been constantly weeping. He is pouring out his soul and earnestly seeking God, as deceitful and wicked men no doubt have been pursuing him.

How does he combat his spiritual depression?

ANS - By earnestly seeking and putting his hope in God, remembering what God has done for him in the past. He prays, sings praises to God, and puts His hope in God. He knows that God directs His love toward him, and that God is sending his light and truth to guide him.

Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

ANS - Each morning I spend time with God in prayer and reading His word, constantly being reminded of God's love for me, and His presence ad direction in my life.

• 2 months later...

David feels lost and forgotten. He is longing for a response from God or even a little touch of his presence. He feels so far away from God and is discouraged. But when he reminds himself through self-talk about the power of God especially in his past experiences, he knows that God will show up. He knows that God hears his cry and will come when he knows is the best time to come. David tells himself to place his hope in God and to praise him.

Have I ever felt the longing for God and his presence? The panting of water for his touch? Everyday I long for him. For him to show his mercy and grace. Yet without me asking all the time he is always there for me. I see it through my husband, my son, my parents and siblings, and the wonderful people God placed in my life at a time like this. I will forever long more of you God, through trials and through joys. And if I do the math, There are actually more Trials in my life, but that means that in the morning, the Joy of the lord comes and bees my strength and overcomes all things through Christ. Thank you God for your constant faith in me and to have never let me go to the dogs.

• 5 weeks later...

The psalmist is in trouble.

He feels like God has abandoned him.

He combat this spiritual depression by praying!

If you think that somebody has left, you try to contact Him - so this seems to be the best thing to do.

Yes, I feel like this so many times.

Then I try to pray but many times, He just doesn't seem to answer.

Then I start thinking that God just isn't real.

For example, last year, when I lost my job, I was so angry that I even throw my Bible away.

That was incredibly stupid.

But I just don't have the psalmist's faith.

There is a spiritual joy that I have which is wonderful. Recently in Christian re-birthing I have learned that my attitude if accepting/learning/growing-into a life of "less/repressed feeling, less/repressed emotional expression." I had the habit of expressing myself less/repressed emotionally, e.g. not seeking something I needed emotionally, or unable to recognize what my heart would be asking for it; almost unworthy of joy. I though I was happy this way, but I was emotionally depressed. My ego was such that I'd falsely assume people would understand what I wanted. When I didn't get what I wanted, I'd overreact sometimes even in anger, call it emotional immaturity

God is helping me to reach-out to Him. I'm trying with all that I can to trust Him more, to "let go and and let Him heal me with His love, mercy and wisdom." Now He satisfies more some/the longings that I didn't understand I had; He is showing me gentle deep love, He is removing the insensitivity of my heart/ego and filling in cracks of my heart and soul with His love. He is making me fearless to serve Him and any of His children, with love, in spirit and in truth. Praise our almighty God, praise Jesus who dies for our sins, praise him from whom all good things flow. We cna't praise Him enough.

• 2 weeks later...

The psalmist apparently feels depressed, defeated, maybe abandoned, physical hunger, thirst and pain, and spiritual hunger, thirst and pain. (Haven't we all?)

The writer combats these feelings of despair with recollections, longing for communion with God, emptying his soul in prayer, engaging in self affirming words of encouragement, and pleading with God while being honest with his feelings.

In my most desperate time of late, I got down on my knees numerous days and prayed in front of an icon of Jesus with the lost lamb on his shoulders. In those times, I felt myself being carried by and cared for by Him. He alone provided the comfort I needed to get through one day at a time after the loss of my job.

Ten years ago when my father was ill and dying of stomach cancer, I was worn out and found myself unable to concentrate enough to converse much with God. During that time, I often awaken in the night and began prayers only to fall asleep after a few minutes. When I told my husband that I was upset about falling asleep during prayers, he pointed out to me that Jesus awakened me to give me enough comfort and then give me rest. After that, I saw those middle of the night prayers in a special light - they were gifts of just the right size for me. God is soooo good! All the time!

• 2 months later...

In both Psalms the psalmist describes him self as broken hearted, discouraged, sad, longing for God, feeling oppressed by his enemies, and wandering around in grief.

Throughout both Psalms he remembers what it felt like to sing for joy, giving God thanks for all he has been blessed with, put his trust and hope in the Lord, and realize that God pours His unfailing love upon him. He wants to go to the house of the Lord and sing songs with his harp and he asks God to send out His light and truth and lead him to His holy mountain.

When I feel depressed, I feel alone and abandoned by not only God but my friends and family. It helps me when I read the Bible, or go to Mass and listen to the word of God and receive communion. One of the reasons I feel blessed is that the Catholic Church celebrates Mass 7 days a week so I can always turn to God when I need him. I remember that Jesus loves me so much that he was willing to suffer a death on the Cross as well as the humiliation of being treated like a criminal. Jesus spent his time here on earth teaching us that God loves us and cares for us like a shepherd looks after his sheep. I love the parable of the shepherd who had 100 sheep, and one of them went astray. The shepherd searched night and day until he found his lost sheep and celebrated the lost sheep's return to the fold. I also remember the parable of the prodigal son and how happy his father was when he finally came home.

• 1 month later...

The psalmist is experiencing feelings of sadness and confusion ("why are you downcast O my soul") as he knows that even though he is sad, he should have the joy of Christ. He is craving the glory of God and appears frustrated at the mixture of his emotions.

His spiritual depression is combatted by asking himself first why his soul is down cast, then he tells himself to hope in God and to praise him. Finally he remembers what good things God has done in his life already and focuses on those.

Yes I have felt down before, wondering where God is in all my plight. I was angry because I knew I should have His joy in my heart, but I failed to remember the things he has done for me so the situation required a friend's intervention. This was an answer to prayer! Praise be to God.

• 2 months later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=656

I think he is feeling alone, doubtful, depressed, vulnerable, desperate is probably the best description. He is parched and longs for and thirsts for God. Wow how many of us actually thirst for God. I am sure that many of us have been thirsty at some stage in our lives but have we ever thirsted for God like we do for water.

He combats his depression by using i) self talk, addressing himself with words of hope, ii) rememberance- bringing God to mind and iii) singing and praying to God. I often find that I just start singing a praise or worship song when I am feeling down.

Yes I have felt this way, sometimes I reach to God through prayer and sometimes through singing and other times just by reading Gods Word. :)