JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. God's Protection

Q4. Since Christians don't seem immune to accident, persecution, and death, how are we to understand these psalms of protection? Why don't some believers seem to be protected? Does God really protect us? How?

Let me be awake, and aware of what is happening. So when He calls upon me, and I will hear him and do His will. My 'trouble" is lack of 100% focus on hearing the Lord at all times. We have the word to tell us we are protected.

Psalm 91 [makes this very clear:] 2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence. 4 He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

Christ dwells in me by faith, when we are worried of anything, we can call on Christ sleeping in us to awake, to rouse up our faith, and be assured that He is here

Lord, let me be aware and aware of all that happens here on earth, let me also remain awake and aware of your love and protection. Let me remain prayerfully happy, for all that happens here is for your good, for your kingdom. Praise your holy name Jesus for all you have done in me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am reflecting on the life of the early Christians, those martyred for their faith. Especially Stephen. Look at his death and see a man who demonstrated shalom under unbelievably stressful conditions. He knew in his heart, in his soul, in his spirit, that God's watchful eye was on him and that he could not be separated from the greatest love that exists. This is peace, the peace that is shalom. Not a quiet peace, not a painless peace, but a peace that is in the very core of his existence, the place of ultimate intimacy with Our Creator.

Even in these times, there are martyrs suffering while remaining faithful. Their names we will never know yet they have a shalom in the midst of great suffering that witnesses of God's care.

In the times of my own suffering, I pray to retreat into the deep knowledge of this great love and thank God for the opportunity to witness to his care.

• 3 months later...

Q4. Since Christians don't seem immune to accident, persecution, and death, how are we to understand these psalms of protection? Why don't some believers seem to be protected? Does God really protect us? How?

We need to first understand that just because we are christian, doesn't mean we escape from things such as sickness or misfortune. God uses all situations for the benefits of ourselves, but it is up to how we decide how to deal with the situation as to which is 'easier' for us. These Psalms of protection are for our souls, and in some cases our bodies and minds. At the end of the day it is up to us to make sure we have such a relationship with God where He can step in and protect us in different ways. In a couple of parables in the gospels, I recall Jesus saying 'your faith has made you well.' Sometimes it is up to the amount of faith we have, and sometimes God needs the person to learn something ('character building'). God protects us, I find it hard to describe how he does it because I will never know what things he has protected me from in most cases. But I am oh so sure that God holds me and each one of His children in his hands, so we should only fear God himself. Going back to the how, I will try to share some examples. Things like travel as I have family that live elsewhere, on a few occasions I have meant to leave by a certain time but have been delayed and then when somewhere through the journey I have passed an accident. He has protected me from the destruction of parties as He has given me the wisdom to know that no good ever comes of them. He has given me a Mother who knows how to take care of me when I don't. He has protected me from the addiction of self harm, by giving me the friends and family to inform me of its destruction. And the list could go on. Thank You Jesus for knowing what is best for me when I do not. Thank you for protecting me 24/7 even when do not realize I need it. Thank you for holding me in your arms, and for never letting me go. Pull me closer to you each day Lord.

• 2 months later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=676

Maybe some Christians time is up here on Earth, God is calling them home. I take these psalms as comforting Psalms, whilst I am here on Earth.

I think all believers are protected at all times by Almighty God. God does protect us in our hearts and minds, with His word and with the Holy Spirit. ALWAYS.

We are to unstand these psalms of protection we are to go throught some thing because it to make us strong and to be our witness tool. We are goin to have accident, sometime it the enemy and sometime we do it to our self by not knowing the psalms of protection and what they mean to the christain.God cares because he gave us his son. To go on the cross for us and then he gave us his word to reaf every day.

• 4 weeks later...

By having a personal relationship with my Father, and knowing His word. We go by what we know not how we feel (flesh) . It depends on protection from what? God has a plan an purpose for my life and as long as I am obedient to His will His plan will not be hindered. Yes. He gives me strength and courage an most of all hope. It doesn't matter here on earth or when I go to glory I have that hope is Christ which sustains me. I don't have to understand everything I just have to trust that my Savior does.

• 4 weeks later...

None of it makes sense without "faith". Somtimes we take our thoughts and eyes off God and we are caught unaware

and other times situations occur and our faith is really activated and tested But the Psalm says that he will save us from a trap and even if you are going through through troubling situations, God can protect and sustain us as we go through. Sometimes we forget that Christians have troubling times so it may seem like some believers are not protected. But, all things work together for those who love the Lord and are called according to his purposes. We don't even realize how many things could have come upon us and that we are constantly protected from. God gives a reassurance and a peace that no matter what he will always have a way of escape for the believer.

• 2 months later...

A4. Lesson 6

Yes God really protects us. Maybe after refining us, God tests us. The mind of God has loving and good reasons, what ever they are.

God protects us in every single way.

Q4.

Since Christians don't seem immune to accident, persecution, and death, how are we to understand these psalms of protection?

All I know is that our Lord is in control and He can and will protect all true believers who call on Him. I have personally experienced His loving embrace when I walked into an armed robbery and had a gun pointed to my head, as well as being manhandled. An absolute calm and peace came over me and I knew my Heavenly Father would bring me through.

Why don't some believers seem to be protected?

They have not fully put their faith in our Lord, and have not trusted Him whatever happens. Their souls will however be protected for eternity.

Does God really protect us?

Yes!

How?

He will never forsake us! We do not know what might have happened to us earlier if we did not have His protection.

• 2 weeks later...

We are not immune to accident, persecution, and death because we live in a fallen world where bad things happen. While God does not protect us from these things, he does protect us from the enemy who seeks to destroy our innermost beings. Also, as Psalm 61, God desires to be the refuge that we can run into when we are in the midst of difficult times. He will always be there to protect us from further harm. In His presence, we find safety and peace. I don't know why some believers don't seem to be protected unless God wants to use others to come alongside to bring His protection, love, and peace to those people. I do know that when I have been attacked I have run into His loving arms again and experienced His protection and peace like never before.

• 6 months later...

Q4. Since Christians don't seem immune to accident, persecution, and death, how are we to understand these psalms of protection?

Paul came to mind when I read this question. He suffered greatly in every area and was martyred, in the end. But only the Lord knows the things Paul was spared from that would have been more than he could bear. (He promises to not allow more than we can bear! 1 Cor 10:13) And Paul (2 Cor 7:6 ) speaks about God's comfort and encouragement during those trials. God is in control, and only He can take a life! Ultimately though we may suffer pain, or illness, or accident, or persecution, anything that touches us must pass through God's "O.K" first. I believe He allows whatever will make us strong and our roots to grow deeply. Satan has some access, as we read about in Job, and as we have all experienced. But Satan cannot take a life. He cannot destroy our spirit! though he may buffet us in every area, he is on God's short "leash"

I believe this is Romans 8:28 and 29 being lived out differently in the lives of believers. "We know that God causes all things to work together to and for the good of those who are called according to His purpose....v29 THAT WE MAY BE CONFORMED TO THE IMAGE OF HIS SON." That is God's destiny for each of us..."that at that day we will be like Him." (Phil 1:6) Some trouble may come as "correction" to rebellion or disobedience. Some for His glory (Joni Erickson Tada comes to mind...she was a believer who broke her neck in a dive into a shallow lake and has been a quadriplegic since high school. She brings great honor and glory to God from her wheelchair! She has prayed for healing, but is still paralyzed, yet lives a joyful life in His grace.) At times, a believer will take his own life. I've known several who chose to end their lives rather than endure any more of the torment they were in. I believe they fell into "the everlasting arms" which the Bible declares "are beneath us." In that sense, though their lives were cut short by choice, perhaps to continue on would have been too much to bear and they may have committed unspeakable acts which would have been too much to bear for their loved ones to live with.

Does God really protect us? How?

My two children and I were protected from death in a major rollover car accident, and suffered extremely minor injuries. Mine was a back injury, which the Lord healed miraculously several months later through a Word of knowledge on a Christian T.V. program, which demonstrated to me, a new believer, the reality of God and His love for me, and brought glory to Him. So we went through the accident but were not destroyed. David Wilkerson, the 85 year old Saint (The Cross and the Switchblade) just died in a car accident in Texas, but his wife was spared. God called him home when his destiny was completed. Taking his wife at the same time may have been too much for their children to bear! And He left me here to fulfill my destiny.

What I do know is that God is faithful! He hears and answers prayers. He hears and delivers us when we cry to Him. His wisdom and mind are far beyond my understanding. I have to leave it there.....He is God and I am not, but He is a Holy, Righteous, Loving, merciful, all knowing, all wise Father. When we are there, I believe we will thank Him for doing just as He has done with us and in the lives of our loved ones. In the meantime, I cry to Him whenever I'm in trouble, or ill, or afraid....and He comes "running". He is trustworthy in all His ways.

• 4 months later...

Troubles come both to the righteous and the wicked. But the good Lord delivers the righteous from them all.

Yes as believers we may not have a trouble free life in this world. But we will be delivered and rescued from them in a different way than if the others would have to face the same trial. God is a good God and watches over all our ways. He is not a man that he should lie. Heaven and earth shall pass away but his words shall never fail. God has given us great promises of safety and deliverance in His word and we specially see that in Psalm 91. When i am faced with dangers, I can confidently run to Him and place my trust in Him and He will deliver me out of the trouble. I may walk through the valley of dangers,but I shall not fear because He is with me. He will supply us enough grace to walk through any danger and He will see us through . This is my faith and trust in God. No matter what i may have to face,He shall never leave me or forsake me.

Some believers dont seem to be protected simply because they fail to trust God when trouble comes. It is a natural tendency to blame God .. Most of the time we may face dangers because of our own plans. If i am firmly rooted in the love of God I can just assure myself of his protection and love. Instead of running away from God , we must read his word of promise in times of trouble ,Hold on to Him and I am sure he will deliver us all!

Yes God really protects us from every trouble. I know this because I have experienced his protection over me and my family many many times.

We have walked through difficlties and dangers but as we have held him close in those moments ,He has miraculously delivered us

Praise God!

According to the Word of God in Psalm 91- i am truly confident that as we dwell in God's presence and we love Him and acknowledge He is our God and Lord- the Almighty God protects us from all harm and danger. God will protect us from all kind of evil and rescue us and keep us safe and protected. Surely , God is our protector and our defender.

when believers do not dwell in the presence of the Most High God , disobey His Will and plans, do not listen to the Voice of His Holy Spirit and disobey the Word of God- the protection of Almighty God is lost and these things open ways for all harm and danger.

Our strong belief is God is our Protector and defender as we truly love Him and walk in His ways.

• 2 years later...

I think that the one thing that God really protects is our soul. Nobody can put that to death except for us. We have to suffer the consequences of our decisions and the consequences of other people decisions. I know that God has really protected me is some of the things that I have done in life. I think this is done by his angels.

• 11 months later...

I do struggle with this. So the psalms we have been studying contain generalisations, from a physical point of view. For example, Psalm 91:16 promises that he will satisfy those who call on him, with a long life. Not everyone who believes in God and trusts in him is blessed with a long life, obviously.

There was a christian family I knew who had one son. He was about 12 years old when one day he was accidentally shot dead. I do not know the exact circumstances, apparently he was handling the firearm himself, when it happened.

When I visited the couple sometime after the accident, they questioned how this could happen when God in his word says that he will protect those who love him. I was young then. The question threw me a bit so I did not really have an answer.

I like the notes, that say "the promises (in the bible) are activated by faith".

My wife and I were travelling in our car down a long straight country road when a large truck with a trailer failed to give way to us. We thought it was all over, however the truck kept going, I braked hard and we managed to miss the trailer by about one meter, as it passed through the intersection. We believe that God was protecting us in that situation.

7The LORD will keep you from all harm --
he will watch over your life;
8the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore." (Psalm 121:7,8)

• 5 months later...

Does God protect his people? Yes! Remember that because of sin we live in a broken world and are subject to its imperfections. Can we suffer from cancer because of all the chemicals we ingest? Yes!   Is God the cause ? No!   God still cares for us and watches over us and good can come from the bad. God has watched over and cared for Israel for over 2,000 years yet there were times when Israel decided to follow over gods and suffering resulted. Through all of these times God was there and his plan was still moving forward. When God's people repented then his favor delivered them. Faith and following God's word is very important to seeing the full favor of God's protection. God has a plan for our lives and that plan may include suffering and death to be a witness to the salvation power through Jesus Christ. God's protection is eternal and we need to see it in that light. God's ultimate protection is eternal salvation. Amen

• 1 year later...
On August 18, 2007 at 2:46 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

These Psalms serves to reassure us that we will have God's protection in all ci cumstances.  They also serve to remind us that if smithing g happens God will make it good.  Which may mean we might be going to h acne sooner than we expect.  It is our fifth that will help us to laser focus on God in times of  deep distress.  I think that believers are protected, it is whether we are focused onGod and whether we recognize if we are protected by him.

Dear God, we are protected by you,whether we rognize it or not.  The lesson we learn is in faith and trust in you whenever we face any kind of adversity/ danger.  Quelll my anxiety, and turn my thoughts to you as I face danger or conflict.

Amen

• 9 months later...

28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

God’s Everlasting Love

31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written:

“For Your sake we are killed all day long;
We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.”

37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NKJV by Nelson, Thomas (1982)

God chooses to protect all Christians but He told His disciples and us as well that we would have trouble in this world and that the world would hate us because we are not of it. The Love of God is one thing that assures us that we are protected but people will be persecuted for their faith because people hate Christ. Pastor Wurmbrand was and thousands more will be until Christ comes again. The above verses state how His love is our protection and how we cannot be separated from it. 

Q4. Since Christians don't seem immune to accident, persecution, and death, how are we to understand these psalms of protection? Why don't some believers seem to be protected? Does God really protect us? How? 

I believe that the main theme of these Psalms is that we are protected from the second death or dying and being away from God. Like the Apostle Paul we can be strong in the Lord and the power of His might. We can go through trials, persecutions, and sicknesses and grow closer to Him. Jesus never said that we would not have trouble in this world. He said that He had overcome the world (John 16:32-33, KJV). At times we are miraculously protected from death like the saints listed in Hebrews Chapter 11 verses 32-35. While others who are unnamed suffered terribly and were persecuted and killed. The Apostle Paul himself was brought back to life after being stoned by the Jews (Acts 14:19, KJV). Even Jesus himself was miraculously delivered from being thrown over a cliff by the Jews (Luke 4:29, KJV). Because it was not His time to die yet and not the way He would die for us either.

Only God knows the time of our death and how we will die. He is in control of what happens to us and He can protect us if He so chooses. Ye tin other circumstances He can choose to let us go through things to prove or test our faith (Deuteronomy 8:2, KJV). Just like He did with the Israelites in the desert. Jesus told us that the world would hate us because we are not like them. This does not mean that He hates us if He does not prevent things from happening to us. He knows what we can handle and what will mold us into being more like Him. That is the whole reason we are here to glorify Him and bring others to Him. Yes, God can protect us from harm and death but only if He believes it is for our betterment or good or that we cannot handle it.

Some believers are not protected because God has a greater purpose for them by allowing their sufferings or persecutions. Using it to bring more people to Him and causing other believers to become stronger. So yes, I believe that God can and does protest us at times by saving us from accidental falls or crashes or even illnesses or saving our loved ones. But I also believe that the ultimate rescue He does is saving us from eternal damnation.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

All our moments are foreordained by our Sovereign God and all things will work together for our good. He is in control of our lives and He is on the throne. Yes, He has promised us protection and we should pray for protection of our lives here on earth. But our focus should be on eternity and He has promised that we will not suffer destruction.  He has given us eternal life. Even satan is an inferior foe to God. He cannot thwart the purposes of God in our lives. God may use accident, persecution and death for His glory. We may not all things now, for we see through a glass darkly. But then face to face. Now I know in part, but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Most believers live for the here and now. They seem to thank God for the protection that’s clearly seen. But what about all those incidents which we may not even be aware of but because of the protection that’s been extended to us by God, we are kept safe. But we should be more thankful to Him for the protection that’s extended to us to keep us safe in His hands. He says that none is able to pluck us out of His hands. That’s protection for which we should be thankful.

Jesus was in the prime of His life when He succumbed to death on the cross. But that death was not the end in itself. He did not remain in the tomb but He was resurrected on the third day. His resurrection became the hinge on which our faith swings. Because of which we can say, even when we breathe our last, we will never die. It is this confidence that enabled Job to say, “Though my flesh be destroyed, yet with my eyes I will see God”.

• 4 years later...

Q. 4. Since Christians don't seem immune to accident, persecution, and death, how are we to understand these psalms of protection?

That God will preserve the soul of His chosen, forevermore. 

Lack of faith. 

Does God really protect us? 

Yes God protects us in the land of the living from human enemies and evil powers seeking to devour us.  

How?

Through the power of the Holy Spirit our comforter and through the power of His word  when we believe and declare it. 

• 1 month later...

From my earthly perspective, God's sovereignty and God's love are in tension. 

In this life, He chooses to put us in the crucible and chooses when to take us out, if at all. Thankfully, there's heaven. Eternal life. There, suffering will be no more.

God is sovereign.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. God's Protection