JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Psalm 131

Q1. According to Psalm 131, just how does David quiet his inner person before the Lord? What are the elements mentioned in this psalm?

David quiets his inner person by resting in the Lord. I think the elements are hope, trust, rest, and humility. David trusted God to bring him out of his misery and torment and bring him back into fellowship with God.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q1. According to Psalm 131, just <i>how</i> does David quiet his inner person before the Lord? What are the elements mentioned in this psalm?

Psalm 131 showed me that my heart is still too proud, and I need to ask our Father to help me find humility in my mind to be weaned from ways of the world, and to be satisfied with what God gives me today.

This psalm encourages us believers to put greater trust in God; not to aim for great things in our life, but to be content in every condition God gives us. In humility can we think well of ourselves as others might think of us? No we need to think of our selves like Paul quote, that we are His slaves but alos the worst of sinners.

How can the love of God reigning in my heart, subdue my self-loving ego that feels it can "fix others" in ways obvious to me but not obvious to them? My proud heart 'knows too much, is too wise; to know God and my duty and honor ot Him, this learning is "high" for me, I seek it without full success at this moment. Is it in wisdom we'd/I'd meddle with that which does not belong to us.

Make me humble as a little child in weaning, and as far from aiming at high things I hope to be ready soon. But for now simple obedience and patience are my skills to hone. We must become as little children, Matthew 18:3. Our hearts are desirous of worldly things, cry for them, and are fond of them; but, by the grace of God, as my soul that is made more holy, I hope to be weaned from these things. As a child, I can be cross and fretful, e.g. as while in weaning. Soon I pray to be beyond longing just for milk, to be ready for my holy stronger food from the Father, Son and

Spirit. May my converted soul become quiet under the loss of loved earthly things; ignore disappointments of what I'd hoped for, and be patient easy about what happens.

When our condition is not to our mind, can we bring our mind to our condition? Then we'll be easy to ourselves and all about us; then our souls well be as a weaned evolving child. The psalmist recommends confidence in God. It is good to hope, and quietly to wait for the salvation of the Lord under every trial and life situation.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Q1. According to Psalm 131, just how does David quiet his inner person before the Lord? What are the elements mentioned in this psalm?

David quietens his inner person by forgetting his pride. He needs to find peace within himself that will allow him to communicate with the Lord better. He may have also meditated on God's word and promises that God 'shall never leave you, nor forsake you.'

He compares himself to a weaned child as He knows it is time to stand up now and begin to take on the next part of his life that God has planned for him.

• 2 months later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=678

Psa 131:1 A Song of degrees; of David. O Jehovah, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes lofty; nor have I walked in great things, nor in things too wondrous for me.

Psa 131:2 Surely I have behaved and have quieted my soul, as one weaned by its mother; my soul on me is like one weaned.

Psa 131:3 Let Israel hope in Jehovah from this moment and forever.

He does this by resting and trusting in God.

The elements are for us to be weaned and to grow spiritually.

:)

Q1. According to Psalm 131, just <i>how</i> does David quiet his inner person before the Lord? What are the elements mentioned in this psalm?

David quiet his spirit before the lord by having humility and trusting in the lord He also had hope. David was content in whatever his circumstance was.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

David says that he does not become enthralled with lofty matters of the world or concern himself with things that are beyond him. The elements mentioned are he did not have a haughty spirit, stilled and quieted his soul. He placed his trust in the Lord.

• 2 months later...

A1. Psalm 131

David describes quieting his mind by keeping his heart from pride, and from keeping himself from having a condescending outlook towards other people. He stays out of things that are beyond him and to difficult for him. Then he thinks of his soul, within himself, as being like a weaned child resting against his mother.

Q1.

According to Psalm 131, just how does David quiet his inner person before the Lord?

David fully trusts the wisdom, love, and power of God; bringing an inner peace and tranquillity to his soul.

What are the elements mentioned in this psalm?

Humility / trust / peace / quietness / love / hope.

• 2 weeks later...

He calms himself as a small child is quieted and at peace with his mother. He sets his hope on the Lord. He is not proud or haughty nor does he try to do anything beyond his abilities. Instead, he looks to the Lord for future consolation. "Oh my soul, set your hope in God. I shall find my peace and rest in Him who can do greater things than I could ever imagine."

• 6 months later...

Q1. According to Psalm 131, just how does David quiet his inner person before the Lord?

David remembers who he is...though he may be King, he's not God! He's God's creature, and comes in humility and utter dependence upon the Lord. He's laying aside intellectual pursuits and questions in order to praise and worship and acknowledge His dependence upon God and His solution to whatever was causing David's unrest. (As he elevates God in his thinking and speaking, his problem shrinks and enables him to leave it in the Lord's capable Hands.)

What are the elements mentioned in this psalm?

Humility, purposeful rest of mind and spirit, self talk to refocus on God and to stop fretting, shifting his burden to the Lord in confident expectation and hope/faith that the Lord will rescue him now and forever. Surrender. (I love that David doesn't try to advise God, counsel God on how to fix things, or to try to bluff God that he's really on top of things but is just checking in, as I used to do in the very early days when shame induced pride and fear kept me from being honest with God about how desperately I needed Him)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Psalm 131 is a short psalm but has a great lesson it . David comes before the Lord with simple faith, trst and humility. He humbles before his Yahweh God completely . He comes with a attitude of total surrender of his life to God. David says he is not proud,nor has a haughty look,but comes himself totally empty before his God. He allows God to take complete control as he does not worry himself about the matters he cannot handle. Instead he casts his cares on the Lord and keeps his inner self calm and quiets his soul in the presence of God.

He rests in the arms of God like a weaned child. A weaned child is hurt and goes through pain when it is weaned off from his mother,yet slowly it gets used to and takes solid food in the days to come. The weaned child yet finds great comfort in the mother's arms. The weaned child does cry a lot when weaned but then still holds on to the mother and finds his strength at this time in his mother. Trusting his mother the baby moves on and grows on solid food.

Similarly David feels the same like a weaned child. God has weaned him from all things not needed and he feels the pain of weaning. Yet with a humble heart he rests in the arms of his God and stills his soul from all anxieities.

Its such a inspiration to know that David calms himself and calls upon the people of Israel to put thier hope in the Lord. His humility gives him peace and hope in the Lord ..He finds delight in his Yahweh God and simply entrusts everything to Him

The elements of child like faith,humility,trust seeking God at all times is containedin the Psalm. David shows us when we go to God we decrease and He increases. We must lean on God like a weaned child.. and He will give us strength to go through thre process of pain for a higher calling of our lives...

Praise God! I am nothing in front of God but he does make something beautiful out of me!

Psalm 131 is a psalm of total surrender of the inner most being to the Lord Almighty and total dependence on God by us. David comes before his God like a innocent child that depends on the mother for all its provisions.

David compares his inner most being to that of weaned child with its mother. David now detaches himself from pride, hatred, things of the world and comes before the Lord with a heart of total surrender. As he surrenders his soul ( his will, his emotions, and his intellect) to the Lord, his soul is quietened by God's presence. As he surrenders his inmost being to the Lord Almighty detaching himself from sin and self he is filled with confidence and hope in His God. Now his soul gets nourished in the presence of Yahweh God and he confidently says- O Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forevermore.

Total surrender, humility, detachment from earthly things, and total dependence on the Lord are the elements mentioned in this psalm.

• 2 years later...

David quieted the inner person by not wanting to know the reason why everything is the way that it is. He has turned it all over to God for his understanding.

The psalm talks about the closeness that the mother has with her baby when she is feeding them. He also says that he has put his hope in the Lord.

David quieted the inner person by not wanting to know the reason why everything is the way that it is. He has turned it all over to God for his understanding.

The psalm talks about the closeness that the mother has with her baby when she is feeding them. He also says that he has put his hope in the Lord.

• 11 months later...

David humbles himself before God (v1). He sees himself (in his minds eye) as he really is, before God. The psalmist is then quiet and satisfied to be with God: Enjoying the company of God without demanding anything of him. Like a weaned child spending time with mother, enjoying her company, spending time with her, contented and in fulfilled serenity (v2).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

David had quietness in his inner person because he knew in his heart that he was walking humbly with God. David was at peace with what God had in store for him, either as king or as shepherd. David was reconciled to whatever condition God would place him.

The elements mentioned in this psalm are that Davis was not proud, he was not haughty, he did not worry about things beyond his control.and he fully relied on the Lord.,

• 11 months later...

Q1. According to Psalm 131, just how does David quiet his inner person before the Lord? What are the elements mentioned in this psalm?

David quiets himself before the Lord by being humble before the Lord, and he does not concern himself with matters that are too wonderful for him.

• 4 months later...
On August 18, 2007 at 2:50 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

David quiets himself by humbly and humility goes to God.  He acknowledges that he is but a humble person only worthy to come before the Lord with faith that he will be listened to.  However he does not go to him in begging mode but in faith mode.  Humility, humbleness, we do not have to understand all.  We must acknowledge that God will provide for us even though we do not understand all.  Trust and confident expectations that God will provide for us.