JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Psalm 131

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Psalm 131, just how does David quiet his inner person before the Lord? David is humble and he does not seek things of this world - he doesn't seek the Babylon mentality of selfishness and excess so he is not concerned with such matters. He has quieted himself, he has been weaned from demanding and selfish pursuits and places his hope in the Lord.

What are the elements mentioned in this psalm?

• Humility
  • Surrender
  • Peace
  • Trust

Q1. According to Psalm 131, just how does David quiet his inner person before the Lord? What are the elements mentioned in this psalm?

David learnt not to be proud. When we are proud we overvalue ourselves above others. It leads to restlessness because it makes us dissatisfied with what we have and concerned about what everyone else is doing. It keeps us always hungered for more attention and adoration.

The elements mentioned in this Psalm are,

- Heart not proud,

- Eyes are not haughty,

- Contentment,

- Humility,

- Trust

Q1. According to Psalm 131, just how does David quiet his inner person before the Lord? What are the elements mentioned in this psalm?

He shows humility and shows trust in God, and is not dependant on others only God.

The elements shown are himility, trust, rest, and note of hope.

David quietens his inner person before the Lord by his attitude of humility & trust. He takes his hands off in surrender & rests in God's presence by allowing Him to put His mighty hands on him! He has abided in God's tabernacle long enough to be fed & nursed & now as he is being weaned ;he is learning to be still & quiet in His presence!

The elements mentioned in this psalm are:

* humility

* stillness

* rest

* surrender

* quietening our soul

* trust

* confidence

* waiting

* hope

David quiets his inner person by having an attitude of humility.

Elements mentioned are a heart that is not proud and eyes that are not haughty.

• 2 weeks later...

David quiets his inner person before the Lord by humbling and submitting himself to the Lord. By realizing that God Almighty is in control and our hope rests in Him.

The elements of this Psalm are broken down as follows: David is not proud and haughty; he doesn't concern himself with matters that are beyond his control; he stills and quiets his soul -- making no demands upon God; and he puts his hope in God.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You have to learn to be content whatever the circumstance. We have to move to a place of trust with the Lord.

David quieten his inner person by leaning on the Lord; abandoning his wants and problems to God to resolve. He put his trust in the ever able God for the solutions to his problems.

Some expressions used in this Psalm are 'stilled' and 'quietened' my soul. This implies stopping all wories and waiting patiently for God to come to the rescue at His own time.

• 4 weeks later...

By refusing to be overwhelmed by things to great for him. Trusting in God and knowing that God is in control. He realizes that he doesn't have to know everything and accepts the fact that some things are beyond his understanding.

David is not proud or haughty. he has humbles himself before the lord knowing that God is in control

David stilled and quieted his soul like a child that has been weaned from his mother. A weaned child in no longer fussy, insistent and demanding. A wean child has learned how to wait and be content and trust that all situations and circumstances will be worked out by the one who cares for him.

• 2 months later...

According to Psalm 131, just how does David quiet his inner person before the Lord?

David is saying to God that he is submitting himself with a humble and quite spirit to the will of God. He is saying that he is not concerned with any great matters, but is content with what God has planned from him. Matthew 18:3 says, " Unless you become like this little child, you will no wise enter the kingdom of heaven." We sometimes in our quest to be wise over think matters, here David says my soul is quieted, peaceful within me, undisturbed by any personal desires.

What are the elements mentioned in this psalm?

A humble heart- my heart is not proud

Humility- My eyes are not haughty

Duty- Did not employ himself in things to great or too high for him

Restfulness- A still and quiet soul

Reconcilation- Stilled and quieted my soul like a child weaned from its mother

Confidence in God- Put your hope in the Lordboth now and forevermore

• 1 month later...

BY TRUSTING THE LORD TO ACT ON HIS BEHALF, DAVID QUIETED HIS SOUL BEFORE THE LORD.WHEN A CHILD IS WEANED FROM MILK, HE IS MOVING TOWARS MATURITY . HE IS NO LONGER DEMANDING OR FUSSING TO HAVE HIS OWN WAY BUT LEARNING TO BE CONTENT, MOVING TO A PLACE OF TRUST IN GOD..GLORY

• 1 month later...
David quieted himself by not looking for things that would change his attitude about everything being about him, To everything being about the Lord. David use a nursing child growing up and then being weaned from his mother to grow independently.

• 1 month later...

David quiets his inner person by understanding his own limitations. He does not try to understand the mysteries of God, rather has faith, and is quiet enough to listen for God. He compares himself to a weaned child.

• 2 months later...

In Psalm 131 David states that he has "quieted his 'inner person' before the Lord" by resolving to not concern himself with "great matters" or "things too wonderful for me". In Philippians 4:12 Paul states this concept as, "I have learned to secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." In Matthew 18:4, Christ says, ".... whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Accepting God's teaching and will humbly and as child before Him is repeated again and again in various forms throughout the scriptures. I must admit to have some reservations when those scriptures are applied in such a manner as to impede human development and thought, or worse, as a tool to justify oppression or enslavement of others, whether individuals or whole peoples. Applying those statements as one who stands before God is one thing, applying them to one who stands before "his betters" is inexcusable.

The elements mentioned in the Psalm by David compare himself to a "weaned child" who no longer has a constant need to be fed by its mother. I am bothered by that statement in that, while humble contentment in the Lord is one thing; to eschew all desire for understanding and knowledge by abandoning intellectual curiosity or desire for a deeper relationship with God is not acceptable. That is an act of waste and unforgiveable dismissal of God's gifts and capabilities that renders an individual as an incomplete worshiper and follower of God.

I recognize that my response is not in the spirit of the question, but I feel so strongly about those who would use such statements from the scriptures as tools to intimidate, browbeat, threaten, or oppress others that I simply cannot speak otherwise. Ignorance in the Lord is not necessarily bliss.

In Matthew 5:17-18 Christ tells us "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." This is a statement that requires our study, understanding and acceptance not only of the Law and the Prophets but of Christ and His message and mission. That cannot be accomplished by mistaking ignorance for humbleness before the Lord.

• 8 months later...

By giving room/place for God in my life I afford myself the privilege of being able to dwell in the place I desire so greatly "His Temple" forever. Whatever the issue, time or circumstance make time for God, He will calm your troubled soul and sooth a hurting spirit. He IS the balm out of Gilead, my great healer and provider. Praise His Very Name.

• 1 month later...

Q1. According to Psalm 131, just how does David quiet his inner person before the Lord? What are the elements mentioned in this psalm? First by being humble and trusting God. Humility, Trust, Setting down and rest, weaning of , being content and Hoping. This is a short Psalm but it have alot of information in it. It shows some of the requirments in being a Christian. You most of course humble yourself, and trust God. Have the Faith that He is all that He said He is. Than you have to not try to take control of the situation but just rest and be reassured that He already got it and it have already been taken care of. Ok now is the big part being content. Sometime we have a problem of being content with what God knows is best for us. We sometime want things to go the way we image it to go but most of the time it is not the plan for our life . We must learn to become more content with whatever God allow in our life. And our hoping will continue to grow and our worries will not longer become a part of our first response. Thank you in Jesus Christ name for your Love and revelation in my life. Thanks a blessing me with the power of knowing to rest in your peace.