JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Psalm 31

Q3. (Psalm 31) What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:5)? How does that statement bring peace to a person? How does the statement, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul?

Though facing death we can rest in knowing that the one we love the most will guide into an eternal rest. That we will now be with the one who loves us the best.

We are assured that there is never a season in our lives where God is not in complete control.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Psalm 31) What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:5)? How does that statement bring peace to a person? How does the statement, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul?

A3. (Psalm 31)

It means that the spirit is about to leave the body and that the person is sending it into the care of the Lord. It helps a person feel like they will be safe even after death and shows their faith.

God who means us good has our day to day life's in his care. Everything that takes place is for some good purpose or at least for moral growth.

Q3. (Psalm 31)

What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:5)?

It means we put our complete trust in Him, the living, sovereign, and personal God. Our absolute reliance on Him in this world and into eternity.

How does that statement bring peace to a person?

Knowing that God is in control and that He looks after His children gives me complete peace and confidence for the future.

How does the statement, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul?

We know God loves and cares for us and this enables us to surrender all to Him. We pray for guidance and help in decision making and then trust Him to provide an answer that will be best for us.

• 2 weeks later...

When I say, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" I believe it means that I can trust God to do what is best for me in this situation. It gives me peace, because I don't feel the pressure to force things to happen. Likewise, "my times are in your hands", brings peace that my Father has a perfect plan for me. In addition, placing myself in His hands can protect me from myself just as Jesus sent the disciples away into the storm to keep them from establishing an earthly kingdom with Jesus as the king (Matt. 14:22, 24)

• 6 months later...

Q3. (Psalm 31) What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:5)?

It seems to mean "I surrender all that I am to your care, Father. I no longer live for my purposes but relinquish all that I am into your care! I give you total control of my life!"

How does that statement bring peace to a person?

When I did that in my early walk with the Lord, it felt like a "death"....and was. My flesh was "dying" to self in preference to living for the Lord. At the same time it was like transferring a heavy load...one to heavy for me to carry, onto His shoulders. I felt relieved of the burden of trying to figure everything out, and worrying about outcomes.

In later times, not so much a "death" and more like taking a dip in a refreshing pool. Once again I've put the Lord in complete charge of all that I am, have, and desire, and there is great peace in being reminded that He is the Universe maker, planet breather, all Powerful, and Loving Father, and I'm His needy child who just remembered that I'm not designed to carry burdens...He's the burden bearer.

How does the statement, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul?

I don't know about others, but for me it's like when a child has walked too far with no strength left, and a loving parent picks her up in His strong arms and carries her home. (I never had that kind of parenting, but I can easily imagine my Heavenly Father carrying me!) That is pure peace~!

• 4 months later...

By saying "Into your hands I commit my spirit" we completely entrust ourselves in the hands of God. Its a prayer of total surrender to the will if God. It is asking God to take charge of my mind body and soul. Once we have a profound relationship with the Lord, I commit my life into His hands. There is nothing that I can do in my strength but I can do all things when Christ is in me. This is a prayer of deep faith and trust in God Almighty to lead my life. Its the same prayer that Jesus made while he died on the cross. He gave up himself into the hands of his Father. This prayer certainly brings a deep peace within to know that we have a mighty God whom we can run to at all times and cast our cares upon Him. When faced with day to day trials and I can do nothing in my strength, this prayer brings confidence that God will take care of me and see me through every difficulty. When i commit into his hands He will make the impossible possible.

My times are in your hands Ps 31:15 God has ordained all the days of my life. He is my maker and creator and He knows all. Whatever times I am facing both good and bad I surrender in the hands of God knowing well that He is in perfect control. By saying this verse ,my heart is a t peace to know that God is my deliverer and he alone can rescue me at all times. It s again putting myself in the hands of God and waiting on Him in prayer.

These two verses are prayers of trust in God .

Into Your Hands i commit my spirit--It means we surrender ourselves completely in the Lord's hands and allow Him to lead us, guide us and we allow His Holy Spirit to reign in our soul and spirit. we come into God's presence with a thanksgiving heart and ask surrender our cares and worries, our needs and all our circumstances to Him and ask Him to take control of us and all our circumstances.

This brings peace to us because we Know we have a mighty God who is there with us to lead us and guide us, to comfort and strengthen us and also we know when we cast all our cares and anxieties to Him , He will fight all our battles. When we commit our ways, our needs , our hopes and plans all to our God and allow Him to be the Lord and Master of our lives we are assured that God will do exceedingly abundantly much more than we can ask and imagine and this fills our soul with great peace.

• 2 years later...

I think that when we say “Into your hands I commit my spirit” that we are letting God have all that we can be. It means that we are trusting him to take us to be with him. This can especially bring peace to us when everything else in the world seems to be turning against us. We can know that God is going to be taking care our soul.

• 11 months later...

Jesus had absolute confidence and trust God. All the above statements imply confidence in God, the essence of faith (Heb 11:1).

• 1 month later...

Committing your spirit into the hands of the Lord is a statement of faith and trust that you accept his will in whatever happens. Peace comes knowing That death is being born into eternal life to be forever with our Lord. The statement "our times are in your hands" is also realizing that God has everything under control and no matter what happens we can rest that He will do what is best for us.

• 4 months later...

If we say to God into your hands I commit my spirit we are confirming our belief in the promises of God as stated in his word. We are also affirming our salvation.

This statement bring peace because we have the assurance that we will send eternity in God's presence.

The statement "My times are in your hands" brings peace if we are truly following Christ because we know that God wants the best for us and will always watch over us. We can turn over all the cares of life to him. 

• 11 months later...

To say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" implies that we are putting our faith and our hope securely in the hands of the Lord. For when we rest in the Lord we can feel completely safe and secure.

My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul because, again we are putting our faith and trust in the Lord. Time is something that we cannot control but if we leave it it's a little word the time Factor will work out. We do not always get the resolution for our prayers that which we are wishing but they are what God provides and we must be really into except what God delivers to us and to be happy in the Lord.

• 4 months later...
On August 18, 2007 at 2:51 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Into your hands I commit my spirit.  Wpild bring peace to someone by letting them know that if they trust in God and leave things up to him, that He will bring peace that is sustainable.  My times are in your hands....." Let's me know that everything I do, or experience is God driven and directed.  He will be with me every step , every minute, every hour, every day.  Nothing goes unnoticed by my God.

• 9 months later...

Q3. (Psalm 31) What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands, I commit my spirit" (31:5)? How does that statement bring peace to a person? How does the statement, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul?

I believe that it means that a Christian can put his or her trust in God because he or she knows where they will be going when they die. They know that they will be met by Him or the angels. They will not leave this world alone and they will be going to a much better place. A place where there is no pain or suffering or trouble anymore. and they will see their Savior. This gives them peace even when they are dying.

When we say my times are in your hands we are showing that we trust God with our future and what happens. We know that He has specific things planned for us. That what He has planned for us is for His glory and our good. We can let go of our fears and rest confidently in Him. When we let go of our fears we can have peace again.

I confess I am having a hard time right now letting go and trusting Him.

According to my commentary from Adam Clarke, they were used in all dangers, difficulties, and in the article of death. The latin form of it which Domine, commendo, spiritum meum, was used by the sick when about to expire, if they were sensible; and if not, the priest said it in their behalf. In forms of prayer for sick and dying persons, these words were frequently inserted in Latin, though all the rest of the prayer was English; for it was supposed there was something sovereign in the language itself. (Clarke, A. 2015) it brings peace to a person in the fact that they know who will redeem their spirit and save them in the end from certain death and keep them as well. It brings them peace because they know who their God is and what He can do for them. They can trust Him with their entire lives knowing He is control and He knows everything that will happen in the future to them.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It means total surrender to the plans and purposes of God. It means complete trust on His higher ways and higher thoughts over our lives which is for our good and to bring us to an expected end. It is handing over the reins of our life back to Him and allow Him to be in control of it rather than manipulating it through our strength and our limited experience. He is the source of all wisdom and His ways are always right and for my good. It is faith in action, partnering with God and aligning our will to the will of the Father over our lives. This brings peace knowing that He is in control over our situations and He is the one who brings all things to work together for our good.

My times are in His hands declares that all events happening in my life are chartered out by Him. It speaks of His providence over my life. Providence can be defined as God supernaturally orchestrating natural events of my life to bring about His desired purpose. So all things that happen in my life are divinely orchestrated and He is in control. I don’t have to try to figure out the outcomes of events of my life but trust in Him knowing everything is under His control. So rather than lean on my understanding, I tend to lean on Him and be under the shadow of His wings. This brings peace to me.

• 4 years later...

Right now, I am sitting in a small home with my elderly father, an atheist. He knows his end will come and that he has lived more years than expected. He looks not forward to heaven and is angered when I talk about Jesus, so I am mostly silent. I have this sense, however, that he will accept the Lord before he dies. Little things he does and says confirm this.

The statement, "Into your hands I commit my Spirit," is a statement of submission. It's what one says when the end is near, when death seems closer and very real. I cannot commit my father's spirit to God -- he has to commit himself to God. Yet, I can pray for his salvation ... I can beg God to add my father to the list of those who slip into heaven at the last moment.

This experience has made me think of mortality far more than I would have in more normal circumstances. I am not afraid of dying, now, because my spirit is committed to Jesus. I look forward to death. Anticipate it eagerly. This has been one of the most difficult times of my life -- total solitude and isolation with a man I didn't know as a child, but have come to know and love -- and, frankly, I'm ready to go home. That is acquiescence ... submission ... giving up yet wanting more ... silent and unnoticed service, even servitude -- this is committing my spirit to the Lord. It's an emptied form of peace.

--

Yes, my times are in His hands. My life ... the days of my life, are my times. But read on. David wants to be delivered from his enemies. Unfortunately, I need to be delivered, too. He needs to be protected from those who pursue him -- so do I. So as I read this, I see that God's unfailing love protected David from the evil men who were pursuing him, and I pray that I, too, will be protected from the evil people pursuing me. Deliver me, Lord. Protect me. Get me through this. Shine your face on me as I am innocent and am your servant. I await your peace, Lord. Your supernatural, inexplicable peace.  Amen.

I've lived near oceans, rivers and streams and have found streams to be most peaceful and comforting. The constant, gentle babble of water over rocks ... quite lovely, really. I think of Elijah sitting by Cherith, a small brook that sustained him for years as he waited for God's next directive. He listened to that babbling brook night and day. That must have been a comfort.

Peace isn't easy in times of great suffering, pain and mental turbulence. When life is horrible, being still is 'nigh impossible. Yet God commands the impossible. He demands inner peace. There is a point, however, where God Himself has to intervene. He has to bring the peace that the sufferer cannot grasp. He has to supernaturally intervene. 

Though there are rough times of life when circumstances are painful and disappointing, there are also crisis times when everything collapses within and peace is illusory, when one's stomach tightens into a knot and jaw clenches with fear. And yet, God commands us to be still at just these times because we should be seeing Him as the little gurgling stream, not the devastating earthquake near the sea. 

The self is bifurcated. Within oneself there should be peace while outside the self is turmoil and danger. This is because the Spirit is within us. He resides in us. The problem is this: in times of great suffering and fear, it's almost impossible to locate that peace inside of us. It feels as if God is commanding us to do the impossible, to make ourselves peaceful and faith-filled in a crisis. 

When we're beyond the point where we can rest in Him and find peace, God must take the initiative. He as to bring us to a point where He can give us peace. This isn't a mind-game in which we control our thoughts, but His supernatural gifting of peace. Peace could come no other way.

After commanding us to be peaceful, God then commands us to know Him as God.  This is the problem and crux of the matter. As we get to know Him, our trials increase.  His way of sanctification and knowledge is suffering in trials. Our suffering intensifies as we age in Him. Yet His Peace often comes after the suffering, less during it. When we survive another bout of the crucible, we learn peace in retrospect. We learn to claim peace in the earlier, less intense stages but in the stage of suffering we're currently in, peace is caught up in the painful struggle to believe in His character and purposes, to know Him still deeper. Thus peace is always just out of our grasp. Unless He intervenes directly, peace is impossible. 

I pray for such comfort now, for His direct intervention, for peace.