JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Psalm 31

Q3. (Psalm 31) What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:5)? How does that statement bring peace to a person? How does the statement, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul?

1. It means the total readiness of entering into the eternal presence of God. Complete surrender.

2.This faith & great hope in Jesus enables us to rest in God & fills our heart with peace & joy.

3.When we say & believe that our time is in God's hand,we express our trust in the Eternal God.We learn not to dread the future but rather learn to await eternity based on the promises of God's Word!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By committing your spirit into the Lord's hands you are expressing a complete dependence on God. Your life is in God's hands to do with as He pleases. It is the climactic expression of trust in the Lord. This is a hard thing to say to the Lord and truely mean it as we are naturally controlling people who like to do things in our own strength. HOwever, if and when we do pray this prayer a sense of peace and joy can fill us, in the knowledge that the one true God, who created heaven and earth, is in control of our life. we can rest in the faith of the promises of God. All the events and circumstances of life are in the hands of the Lord. If we have a true heart knowledge of this (not just a head knowledge) then we can rest in the presence of our Father. We can have peace in the knowledge of His control over our lives.

Q3. (Psalm 31) What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:5)? How does that statement bring peace to a person? How does the statement, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul?

To say to the Lord, "Into your hand I commit my spirit" means giving to the Lord myself, my person, and my life both in this life and beyond. This brings great peace to me because I know I have given myself to God. I know He loves me and will provide the best for me both now and in eternity.

"My times are in your hands" brings peace to me in that I know that God is ultimately in control.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It means you are giving your spirit to the Lord, it gives you peace because you know where you are going when you die. You are saying my future is in your hands Lord. It brings peace because you know that where you are heading in life, God is with you to keep you on the right path.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as the Lord Jesus said these words when He was dying on the cross at Calvary, so we who are born-again Christians in Him say the same thing as we commit our lives unto the love and care of our heavenly Father in this life as well as in the next heavenly existence. Knowing that our heavenly Father loves and cares about us so much more then we could ever imagine, brings peace and joy to my troubled soul when I

• 2 weeks later...

Simply put it means I trust you. I know that you love me and that you want what is good and right for my life. I know that you are able to bring to completion that good work that you have begun in me. When we fully trust God we can't help but have peace. My times are in your hands. You are the one in control here not me. All I have to do is trust you. I've been through enough to know you will be enough for me.

"Into your hands I commit my spirit" (Psalm 31:5) means complete trust in God. Everything that we own even our very lives should be surrendered to Him. Knowing that God will protect us and keep us, knowing that His plan for our lives is far greater than we could ever image brings about precious peace. In hope, we rest in the assurance that God is faithful and He will do exactly what He said He would do. He is always looking out for our best interest. Likewise, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), brings about peace because I know that in God's time, His appointed time, He will straighten my crooked places and cause me to walk by the still waters. He will deliver us from our enemies and cause us to triumph in victory. He will deliver and restore. Our future is in His hands. I wouldn't want it any other way.

• 2 months later...

What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:5)?

These were the dying words of our Savior, but they are living words for David. For the plasmist and for us it means to declare our faith in God, that we depend on him for protection and care for us at all times.

How does that statement bring peace to a person?

When we commit ourselves to God's hand and guardianship, we acknowledge that he is the giver or taker of life, therefore we trust Him and calmly depend on Him for protection against harm and danger in our lives.

How does the statement, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul?

Because God has the ultimate authority and power over life and death for us. His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts , therefore he is not concerned nor does he trouble himself over casual or unforseen things that we dread and fear. So he leads us through traps set for us, and preserves the faithful. So we should be strong and take heart and place all our hope in the Lord.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Psalm 31) What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:5)?

It means that we give all to God. We put our complete trust in Him.

How does that statement bring peace to a person?

To have God with us and in control is all we need.

How does the statement, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul?

God will be with us through all our trials and will be there with us if we will only let Him. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

IT MEANS THAT GOD IS IN CONTROL WHEN WE COMMIT OUR SPIRITS INTO HIS HANDS.IT'S SAYING LORD, I TOTALLY SURRENDER MY LIFE TO YOU AND TRUST YOU TO HELP ME IN EVERY AREA OF MY LIFE.THAT BRINGS AN INCREDIBLE PEACE WHEN WE ARE NO LONGER IN CONTROL AND HE IS THE CAPTAIN OF OUR LIVES.HE STEERS THE WHEEL OF LIFE AND WE HUMBLY FOLLOW HIM BECAUSE HE'S PROVEN TO BE FAITHFUL AND TRUE TO HIS WORD.KNOWING THAT MY TIMES ARE IN HIS HANDS ALMOST MAKE ME FEEL LIKE CRYING BECAUSE FOR SO MANY YEARS I THOUGHT NO ONE CARED UNTIL I MET JESUS.THOSE WORDS GIVE ME PEACE AND MAKES ME FEEL SECURE. IT CALMS THE TROUBLED SOUL FOR SURE...GLORY.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

To say to the Lord "Into your hands I commit my spirit," is an act of trust and a blessing. Such an act is saying, as David does constantly, "I trust you Lord, Here I am, all for you. Do your will, and help me to do your will also."

David describes in the psalm the trouble he has wrought for himself and that which others have wrought for him and around him. In his giving himself and such trouble over to God, he is finding peace, and is grateful to be able to secretly know God privately, away from the trouble of humans "...in a pavilion from the strife of tongues." Ps 31:20 Here David is comparing the Word to the word, and he is thankful for the Word.

An absolute surrender to God brings peace because it quiets the human will and allows the divine will to take over. God knows what He is doing, and it is a relief to acknowledge that He does, while we do not, being what we are.

"My times are in your hands," brings peace to the troubled soul, because, again it is a commitment of one's life to God's will, surrendering our own will to His, trusting God before trusting the sons of men. (Ps 31:19)

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

When we commit our spirit to God. we are resting in faith in the promises of God. We express dependence on God and faith in His goodness to His people. To commit ourselves into God's care is equally appropriate during times of danger and difficulty. It brings peace knowing that we can trust God totally, He will never let us down. To me, my times in your hands is trusting God for the plan He has for our lives. Knowing His love is that great. Knowing that He wants the best for His children.

Q3. (Psalm 31) What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:5)? How does that statement bring peace to a person? How does the statement, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul? I trust you with my life. I have faith to know that you will take care of me. It bring peace know that the God of Heaven and Earth is the one that is overseeing your spirit. He have it all under control. We must understand that even during the times when we are having trouble that peace is also in the mist of the storm. He have even our trouble in His hand, actually He have our entire life in his hand. Wow if we really thank about it all we have to do is really our assignment and understand that if we trust God truly that we just have to go through the assignment He have already worked it out and know the beganning and the end of what will be and what is to come. If only we trust and believe. Thanks you always for your peace, grace, mercy, and Love

• 1 month later...

ANS - I can place my complete and total confidence in the Lord that He will take care of us. That He loves you enough that you can entrust your entire life to Him. This brings a deep inner peace and job to our inner most being.

• 1 month later...

With this verse, you completely submit to God.

Often we know we can't do something on our own but even though we want to keep control.

With this verse, we give Him control and trust He will do right.

This gives inner peace.

If He wants us not to die we don't die + if He wants us to die we die.

We can't live a day longer.

We can live shorter (like Saul and Judas) but that would be a no return sin.

• 3 weeks later...

"Into your hands I commit my spirit" means that there is a commitment to God about our spirit being in his hands. A commitment as strong as a union between 2 people in a relationship. In this case, our spirit is in relationship with God. The purpose and plans he has for our lives is in his hands. and we commit ourselves to those plans. To be honest, sometimes it doesn't bring peace to me when I make a bold statement such as this one. Knowing the call on my life that God has ordained me and my husband, sometimes I just want to not even think of the words. But I would not mature in his dwelling place and would not grow either in the world I live in now. So trust being an issue for me?????? YES I THINK SO. But thank God for the rest that I can recite these trust and rest verses to calm my spirit and know that God says who is really is.

Well it depends on someones priorities in life. I am working on this issue now and its sooo hard. Knowing that everything I have here on earth means nothing compared to heaven and God. Also not loving your husband more than God is hard. But it is a process to work on. God is faithful and patient. It brings peace knowing that eternity is where I am heading, not to the torture some people are heading if they don't get saved and quick. Prophecies in this word are starting to happen now that we are in the end of times. So I d rather be on the calm rested and trusting side anyways....

• 3 weeks later...

In Psalm 31:5 David gave it all to God, acknowledging the root of his problem was himself and his actions. in Psalm 31:15 he accepted the situation and asked for God's mercy in a trusting manner, hoping and praying faithfully for deliverance.So David was delivered by his faith and prayer for deliverance. Such a powerful lesson to understand, the words of a famous King.

This is a great encouragement to believe God will deliver us when we really need him.

For me, 'into your hands I commit my spirit' is my humble and willing offering of my spirit to be yoked with the Holy Spirit, forever to be united with the triune nature of God.

If I truly (when I truly) have faith that God's interests are in my best interest and that my will lines up with His will then there is a resultant peace. No everlasting harm can come to me because of His great love for me.

The seasons of my life and the opportunities that come to me, I have been ordained by God for them. He has prepared me and I only have to willingly follow his lead. (I say I have only to willingly follow, but sometimes in my human condition, I willfully refused to be yoked to God's will. Then there is a problem!)

• 3 months later...

It means fully trusting Him, in all areas of your life. We tend to make 'compartments' in our brain, for work, school family etc. If you look at it as a filing cabinet it is like taking it all, opening the drawers and emptying the contents saying to God, "this is it, everything. I love you and I know that you only want what is best for me so I am letting you run all this."

It brings peace just by knowing that the maker of the universe has everything under control and knows what to do in each situation. SOmetimes it takes a while to remember this, but peace will come! Focus on God's promises.

God has everything at His finger tips. It brings peace to the troubled soul because we know that He knows the time we are going through, whether it be good or bad. He knows how to deal with everything and give you just what you need at each moment. GOd knows when we rise and fall, sleep and wake. He knows our times. This mean all times, so our whole lives and even the life in heaven we will get if we follow Him and our teachings.

• 2 months later...

Psalm 31:5 means that I have faith and trust in God to commit my spirit to him to me when you get saved you are commit your spirit to God.If anything happen to me I know that my spirit will be going with him.

The statement can bring peace because all of my time everything that I do I am give it to my father That means I hsve to every careful of my time and the way that I use my time becaude I am give it to him.

So when trouble rime come and they will come I know that Iam giving all my time to him so he is with me in my bad time.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=680

Our spirit is eternal, so when we commit it to God, we r trusting Him implicitly :)

• 4 weeks later...

That I am surrendered to my Lord and I trust Him completely with this life. If God did it for David, surely He will do it for me. My Father knows everything that concerns me and He has it under control. Order my life according to your plans Lord!