JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Resting in the Lord

Q5. After you've studied the psalms in this chapter, what do you think it means to "rest" in God? How do you seek God's peace when you have a dozen things coming against you?

To rest in God means that when you are praying instead of doing all the talking sometimes you have to just sit there and wait and listen for what he is trying to say or just sit and feel him near you. I find it hard, I know I should wait more but I don't. I need to take some of my own advise by what I have answered in the first part of this question lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. After you've studied the psalms in this chapter, what do you think it means to "rest" in God? How do you seek God's peace when you have a dozen things coming against you?

For me to rest in God means to trust God. When life becomes overwhelming I go to the Rock that is higher than I. I run to Him and read HIS word. I pray and trust HIM to take care of the situation that is bringing me turmoil. Often times HE doesn't change the situation - but changes me.

• 2 months later...

After you've studied the psalms in this chapter, what do you think it means to "rest" in God?

To rest in God is to is to have absolute faith and trust in God. To lean not into our own understanding, but like the Apostle Paul being content in all our circumstances, because we can do all things through Christ who strenghtens us.

How do you seek God's peace when you have a dozen things coming against you?

In Exodus 33: 13-17, Moses ask for God's presence to lead his people to Cannan.The Lord graciously promised that His Presence would go with them. The Lord said " My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest. Because I am pleased with you and I know you by name."

Because we have God's favor and He knows us by name, there is nothing we can't ask of God that He will not be merciful and just to grant us according to His good will. Safety and rest does not consist in the absence of danger, but in the presence of God. He is ever our haven, our refuge in the times of trouble. Lo I am with you always does not mean just in the good times, but in the times of storms as well. So I seek His peace by talking to God and reminding Him of His promises for my life and reflecting on the past and the times of deliverance from past storms knowing my help only comes from God.

• 2 months later...

I HAVE HAD TO LITERALLY PUT THIS INTO PRACTICE THESE LAST FEW WEEKS REGARDING SOME FAMILY SITUATIONS THAT WERE VERY UNEXPECTED AND DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH. I AGREE WITH SHAZ6 RESPONSE TO JUST STAY IN HIS PRESENCE AND LISTEN FOR WHAT HE HAS TO SAY, OR JUST SIT THERE AND FEEL HIM NEAR YOU, AND STILL YOUR SOUL BEFORE HIM. THAT'S HARD FOR ME TO DO SINCE I TEND TO TALK MORE THAN I LISTEN, BUT IT'S WORTH EVERY EFFORT BECAUSE I ENJOY HEARING THE STILL, SMALL VOICE OF GOD SPEAKING DIRECTLY TO ME AND GUIDING ME ON MY JOURNEY.WHEN I AM BOMBARDED BY MANY ADVERSITIES AND MY MIND GETS WEARY AND NEGATIVE, I SEEK HIS PEACE BY GOING TO THE WORD AND SPENDING TIME WITH HIM AND THE PEACE HE GIVES ME IS A PEACE THAT CAN ONLY COME FROM HIM. HIS PEACE KEEPS MY HEART AND MIND STABLE BECAUSE MY FOCUS IS ON HIM..GLORY.

• 2 months later...

Resting in God means to trust in God. I try to remember (and it gets easier) that I don't have to have all the answers, or sometimes any of them. I try to remember (and it gets easier) that he is my Loving Shepherd and will guide me in all things. I give my life over to Him. I rejoice now, where I used to scoff, that I am a sheep, one of his flock. I am glad beyond all things that He left the 99 to find the 1.

I seek God's peace by committing myself to studying the Word for as much time as possible every day, by talking to others who speak the language of the Word when I have problems, and when I don't, and by praying, aloud or silently. Listening to music inspired by the Word, music that praises God, helps too.

Seeking to know God means everything to me, and my whole life is transformed because of the seeking.

• 1 year later...

To me, to rest in God means giving Him all of my worries and frets of this world. Knowing that He is God Almighty, the Great I Am, that there is nothing impossible for Him. Knowing that I can put my complete trust in Him and evrything is going to work out. I can keep my heart and mind on Christ, and worship and praise Him joyfully. When I have things coming at me. I worship and praise God. I thank Him for what He has done, what He is doing, and what He is going to do.

Q5. After you've studied the psalms in this chapter, what do you think it means to "rest" in God? How do you seek God's peace when you have a dozen things coming against you? To rest is not to worry about nothing. I seek God peace when dozen things come against me by going into pray, waiting on guidence from God and trusting that it will come no matter how long it will take. I hold on to all that I know him to be and All that I know that He is. With all that my life have I can only trust God. You see people fail people but God never fails. He is my Love, my Peace, my everything, He is my Father. As my Father I know that they is no need to worry, yes we will go through difficult times and yes some will hurt but no matter what we can't turn away from our God, not even when the evil one tells us that our Father have left us and allow those things to happen. We must hold on and know that God is God noone and nothing is greater that is a great knowledge to know. Thanks to Jesus Christ we are protected and I love Him with ALL my heart.

• 1 month later...

Q5. After you've studied the psalms in this chapter, what do you think it means to "rest" in God?

ANS - It means to rest secure in Him, putting my total confidence in Him. It means to be filled with and surrounded with His presence.....to quiet myself and allow Him to refresh me and renew me. It means to be reminded of how great He is, and how much He has done for me, and will continue to do for me.

ANS - I get alone with God in my quiet place, listen to the Word as I read it, mediate and journal, and then spend time in prayer.

• 1 month later...

Depending on what you are coming up against, sometimes it can be really hard to see peace and trust for God. We just have to know his word and keep our minds refreshed everyday with it. Soaking in his presence and allowing the holy spirit to overwhelm us, is assurance of his peace, and presence with us. As hard as it is, I know there will be places that I will have to go to by using a plane. And I know that I will simply trust in God that I will reach my destination, cause I know that I AM suppose to be there for the purpose of his kingdom.

• 4 weeks later...

To rest in God's care and provision is to fully rely on him; to know that when I align my will with His (not an easy thing to do, certainly) in essence to hand him the remote control, then and only then will I experience the joyful existence that He intends for me. As to how I seek to be in this state, well the answer is prayer. Whether it is to pray in my own words or now in the words of the ancient psalmists who I am just becoming familiar with through the blessing of this study ministry. God is my strength and my refuge. Amen.

• 6 months later...

It means to rest in his arm to know that he is always there that he will never leave me when I have something to do or a choose to make that I am not sure of I just rest in God I wait and I pray for him to help me and I just wait and you know most and all of the time when he give us the answer it when we need it. We are the ones thst is always in a hurry. we need to wait and know the salvation Of God.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Q5.

After you've studied the psalms in this chapter, what do you think it means to "rest" in God?

It is the means by which believers can have joy and happiness in this life, independently of circumstances. We rest on the promises of God and have the peace and joy of God in our hearts.

We live in a fallen world where people are directed by Satan and their own sin natures. Although God is our refuge and strength does not mean we will not experience troubles and problems as many false teachers will have us believe. Lack of material prosperity and physical health is not caused by lack of faith. We will find peace in the fact that we can always depend upon God

• 2 weeks later...

I think "resting" in God means allowing God to refresh you and renew your spirit through His word and meditation. Just now, I sought God's peace by reminding myself to "be still" and remember all the good things He has done for me. I can be at peace when I allow myself time to let His Spirit refresh and renew and remember that He has many great plans in store for me yet.

• 6 months later...

Q5. After you've studied the psalms in this chapter, what do you think it means to "rest" in God?

I think it means to cease striving, and to surrender to His superior wisdom, control, and power, and to rest in His love. "Let go and let God".

I get quiet with my journal and my Bible...writing down on paper what is coming against me, helps me. It gathers up all of those fleeting thoughts, fears, etc, like corralling dust motes! When I've got it written down, I go through each one and surrender it to the Lord. I pray promises out loud so that I can "hear" what His Word says about it. If I'm still troubled, I ask Him to quiet my mind so that I can hear His voice. I read Psalms. I put praise music on. I sing praise and worship. If I'm REALLY troubled after all of that, I'll call a Christian friend to agree with me in prayer. Then when darts of anxiety "hit", I take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.

Sometimes it's a messy process! There are sometimes tears, or anger. Sometimes I think to bind Satan and take authority in Christ over the opposition. Sometimes just surrendering to Christ is all I need to do. I try to let the Holy Spirit lead me to His peace and comfort, and follow His lead.

• 4 months later...

To rest in God means seeking God and beleiving Him completely and waiting on Him if faith. It is compelete trust in the Heavenly father which will give me rest. When I know God will act on my behalf I cast all my cares on Him and choose to rest. I rest by taking refuge in His word. I choose to take rest early in the morning by coming into His presence in prayer. I take rest by singing songs of praise and thanks all through the day. I continually pray and seek the face of the Lord. I seek Him and only Him and go no where else. I am calm knowing fully well that God will do exceedingly abundantly more than I have asked or imagined. I serve and awesome God who will never forsake me or fail me. Great promises are made by Him for me in His word. I read those promises and take complete rest.

Every day i begin the day by praising with the Praise Scriptures. As soon as I am awake I say "Give thanks to the Lord .for he is good his love endures for ever! Giving thanks to the Lord as I rise fills me with new strength,grace and peace and hope that I can handle the day well. I seek God in prayer by singing,worshipping and reading his word. This stills my soul and I see the Lord annointing me with this spirit of peace. I have chosen the Bible study as a tool to dwell in the word of God ,rather than give my mind time to be troubled. Reading Psalms has given me great great peace these days.

I speak to my sisters who love the Lord and they offer me a word of peace and inspire me to pray .

I hold on to the Lord ... and ask of His peace to reign in my heart.

Seeking god above all things is the practice I have started in my life and Yes God is good .. He is filling me with peace that know man can give.

John14:27 He says,Peace I leave with you,my peace I give you, I do not give as the world gives.Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

This prayer of peace was given to us in our worship meeting a week ago. I keep reading this word and it God has given me peaceand rest to my soul

Alleluia .Praise God!

• 2 weeks later...

we need to come into the presence of God and when we sit at His feet and begin to worship Him a divine peace begins to settle in our minds and in our hearts. God dwells in the praises of His people. when we shout praises to God and sing praises to His Holy Name we begin to feel the divine presence of God take over our troubled hearts and minds. All our cares and worries, anxieties begin to fade away and the Presence of God calms our inner most being. From an atmosphere of praise we are then able to worship the Lord and His mighty presence removes every type of weariness from us and our souls are quietened in His presence. This enables us to rest in God. Our souls find rest in God alone. This rest comes to our inner most being and also our physical bodies find rest in His Presence. when i come into God's presence everyday through Praising Him, worshiping Him and listening to His Voice my soul finds rest in Him.

i am able to find God's peace amidst various situations as i choose to Praise Him continually. As i shout praises to God and declare His promises i find God's peace reigning in my heart - no matter what circumstances are around me.

• 2 years later...

I think that to “rest” in God is to turn all our troubles over to Him. He is there for us and there is no way that anybody can take that away from us. I seek peace when I have things coming at me by stopping and saying a quick prayer and then doing what needs to be done.

• 11 months later...

As I have alluded to in question 4. Resting in God is having absolute confidence in God-that what he says in his word he will carry out. It is easy to say that we are resting in God, however It is hard to achieve (Hebrews 4:1). From what I have observed of other believers and what I know about myself, It is very very hard not to worry about something or someone close to me.

Jesus put his trust in his father when he went to the cross (Matt 26:42). Paul said that he is content in whatever circumstances (Phil 4:11-13). In addition, Paul in the book of Phillipians exhorts believers to worry about nothing..."but in all your prayers ask God for what you need, always asking him with a thankful heart. And God's peace, which is far beyond human understanding, will keep your hearts and minds safe in union with Christ Jesus" (4:6,7) Good News Translation.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Such an easy word to say, "just rest in the Lord" but oh how difficult to do. My human nature wants to be in charge to control the situation. Learning how to rest in God only comes about through a life that is committed to serving God a life that is anchored in God's word and given to prayer for all situations. Then we can enter the safe place.