JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Psalm 22. Comparisons

Q4. (Psalm 22) What similarities do you see between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus' crucifixion? Do you think Jesus understood Psalm 22 as referring to himself? Why do you think the Spirit inspired David to pen these words?

What similarities do you see between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus' crucifixion?

He was forsaken by God. He was mocked and despised by those he had come to save. His hands and feet were pierced. His garment were divided among the soldiers and lots were cast. Psalm 22 is an actual depiction of the events surrounding the cruxificion of Christ.

Do you think Jesus understood Psalm 22 as referring to himself? Yes, Jesus knew His purpose for coming. He was born with all knowledge and power and may well have called for David to pen this psalm through the uction of the Holy Spirit.

Why do you think the Spirit inspired David to pen these words?

So that when the events prophesied in this psalm came to fruition, people would know that Christ was the Messiah. The psalm should be taken literally in its entirety as it not only foretold of Christ's suffering and death to redeem us from our sins, but of His steadfast love for us who seek the Lord with all of our hearts. The poor will eat and be satisfied, your hearts will live forever.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Psalm 22) What similarities do you see between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus' crucifixion? Do you think Jesus understood Psalm 22 as referring to himself? Why do you think the Spirit inspired David to pen these words?

Psalm 22 tells of the events of Jesus' crucifixion in the following ways:

--Eloi, Eloi, lama sabach thani

--the seizure of Christ by enemies (dogs, bulls, lions, in short, beasts)

--the rabble's mocking of Jesus, including spitting on him

--th soldier's casting lots for Christ's clothing

--the physical torture and death of Jesus, including nailing him to the cross

--the body of Christ as the church following the crucifixion and death of Christ's physical body

Jesus understood Psalm 22 as referring to himself. He constantly assures his disciples"....as it is written...". I believe the Spirit inspired David to pen these words as one of the promises of salvation, to spread the Word and allow men to see and know God in yet anoher way.

Christ is risen, Praise God.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Psalm 22 is speaking of Jesus crucifixion. It describes his suffering, his feelings, his pain. I think Jesus understood it as referring to himself. I think the Holy Spirit had David to writ this to help people understand the crucifixion, that is was our sins Jesus was carrying and dying for, and gave David comfort.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (Psalm 22) What similarities do you see between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus' crucifixion? Do you think Jesus understood Psalm 22 as referring to himself? Why do you think the Spirit inspired David to pen these words? This Psalm was to me about what was going to be going on at the crucifixion. It explain the pain, and surfering that our Lord bear for us and all that He had to go through for our sin. He was Lord but He was also in this world as a human feeling all that was put on Him for our sins, that we will have another chance to choose who we will serve and dedicate our life to, our Heavenly Father. Yes He did, this was part of God plan and it was something that needed to be written prior to the crucifixion to in a sense tell how and what our Lord will and had to go through for us. The Spirit was not only telling the story of what was to come but also showing that even when the pain and hurt come that God always have a plan in it and He have not forgoten nor was He not listening. God know and feel our pain and He is always with us and all we have to do is continue to trust and know that He will win the victory and He already did. He is the almighty and have control of All things.

• 2 months later...

vs. 2 Jesus felt abandoned by God so He quoted this Psalm.

vs. 8 The people mocked Jesus and David.

vs. 9 He surrendered Himself to God, just like David.

vs. 10 The Spirit made Mary pregnant, but a little different then with David's mother.

vs. 13 + 14 Both had enemies wanting to kill them.

vs. 16 David was thirsty in the desert, Jesus on the cross.

Until this far, it is true for both David and Jesus.

Then there are verses that can't be true for David.

vs. 19 When Jesus died, the soldiers did this.

vs. 27 see Sermon on the Mount

vs. 28 This still has to come.

David knows that something great will happen.

Q4. (Psalm 22) What similarities do you see between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus' crucifixion?

ANS - The on-line study did an outstanding pointing out the amazing exact similarities in all respects.

Do you think Jesus understood Psalm 22 as referring to himself?

ANS - Absolutely!

ANS - To speak prophetically for generations to come, so that people for centuries to come, would understand that the scriptures spoke of Christ, and that He was in fact the Son of God, to bring salvation to mankind.

• 1 month later...

Pretty much everything that Dr. Ralph Wilson pointed out in the study was accurate and really good.

Jesus did know that the Psalm 22 was referring to him

The Holy spirit makes us do things that we don't understand but as long as we obey and do what the spirit is saying , it will make sense to some one else. Lean not on our own understanding but that of Gods.

Psalm 22 starts with Jesus on the cross, "abandoned by God," but this was God's plan.

1 "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning?"

God used David as a profit to write these words, though it was when David was under attack, greatly stressed. His life paralleled what would happen with Jesus. Both were "saved." David from his enemies, as he sought God and later praised the Lord God his savior in Psalm 22.

19 But you, O LORD, be not far off; O my Strength, come quickly to help me.

20 Deliver my life from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dogs.

21 Rescue me from the mouth of the lions;save [d] me from the horns of the wild oxen.

22 I will declare your name to my brothers; in the congregation I will praise you.

23 You who fear the LORD, praise him! All you descendants of Jacob, honor him!Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!

David's mind and heart are transformed from fear and despair to hope and trust; we know from history he was saved to die in peace, despite all his sins. This is of great comfort for a person like me a wretched sinner in the mind and a 'good-doer' on the surface, God transforms me to trust Him.

Romans 5:1-5 (NLT) 1 Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. 2 Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God’s glory.3 We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. 4 And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. 5 And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

So we can seek to be more like Christ when difficulties come, and call faithfully to God to deliver us, and to never forget to praise God, our creator. Sometimes this is quite hard, and is for me right now. That is why God led me to this study question today, to remind me to persevere until He delivers me.

Jesus of course architected the situation and He positioned David to feel what he did and write these words given by the Holy Spirit. Jesus was an author of this plan ot use David as a profit and humble servant of our God. He give us example to proceed in life in the same manner, with perseverance, and faithful hope. Of course it is true that those who listen to God's call will seek to server others, and not react in fear.

Thank you oh mighty God for humbling me, for testing my faith, for giving me confidence you will deliver me according to your perfect plan. Amen.

There are many parallels between this prophetic psalm and the accounts of the crucifixion of the Christ which have already been outlined by prior respondents but what strikes me most poignantly from this prose is vs. 24. Clearly, my sins were laid upon Jesus and caused His suffering and sacrifice yet at no time has Jesus ever despised me, never has He hidden His face from me. While I may at times turn my back to His graces and mercies, He never denies them to me. I have been, am, and currently live in a blessed state of forgiveness. For this I offer my praises to the Lord enthroned in my heart.

As to why David may have been inspired to write this psalm, I believe God did this to reassure me (and all of us) that He has charted our lives, that He is in control, and that for Him there are no surprises. I'm sure that God experiences delights in us, but not surprises. In the midst of the trials of life, when things are looking hopelessly lost and tough; we, like Jesus, are a part of a BIG plan. God will triumph, of this we can be sure. We should all be encouraged to press on because of this prophetic scripture.

• 3 months later...

"My God, My God, why have you forsaken me" "In the night season I am not quiet (Jesus sought God in the night). "ridicule me" Jesus was before he was hung on the cross. "poured out like water" Jesus was thirsty. "they divide my garments among them and for my clothing they cast lots"

Jesus understands all things. I think so, but am not completely certain on this.

We do not always know the reasons for things Holy Spirit 'makes' us do, we are told simply to put our faith in Him and if we need to God will make sense of things for us.

God may have used this Psalm for the first preparations of mans' heart for Jesus' death. Who really knows!

"For my ways are not your ways"

• 2 months later...

The similarities between the words are very much alike they are talking about the same thing and that is the crucifixion of Jesus.Yes I think that Jesus understood that the psalms was talking about him. Because Jesus being born was also told before he can and his crucufixion was to be told the same way.

• 3 weeks later...

They are discussing the same subjects, it was true for David's times an also talking of the future of Jesus Christ.

Isn't it neat how God does that. His word meant something in the past to a particular subject, and it touches my heart today just where I need to be touched. My mind can't even fully comprehend His glory.

Jesus knows everything, In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God.

The Creator wants us to know Him by His word, and He uses all things to convey His truths to us.

• 3 weeks later...

The similarities of the words of the Psalm and Christ's cruicifixion are almost identical so that they fulfill prophecy. Yes, I'm Jsure esus knew that Psalm 22 was referring to him. David penned this psalm in order to show fulfillment of prophecy.

• 3 months later...

Q4. (Psalm 22)

What similarities do you see between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus' crucifixion?

There are many similarities; we read about our Lord being rejected, scorned, mocked, insulted, conspired against, His thirst, crucified, pierced, His garments divided and lots cast for them. Almost a parallel account of His crucifixion.

Yes.

To tell and explain to the people of the OT about the coming Messiah, and for us, today, as well as future generations, to have a better understanding of what Jesus endured on our behalf.

• 2 weeks later...

He was mocked, conspired against, and in thirst. Like the words of Psalm 22, Jesus sweat drops of blood and his garments were divided by gamblers. And yes, I do believe Jesus understood that these verses referred to himself. He was well-versed in the Torah and understood the prophecies about Him. I believe the Spirit inspired David to write these words to prepare God's people for the coming Messiah and to show God's desire to rescue them from their sins. Because God delivers His people, they should turn to Him and praise His name forever.

• 6 months later...

Q4. (Psalm 22) What similarities do you see between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus' crucifixion?

This reads like a Psalm of the Cross. It tells just how Jesus felt....forsaken by His Father/God, the mocking, torture, the fact that He belonged to God from the womb, the soldiers surrounding Him, being brought to death, the piercing of His hands and feet, all his bones out of joint, gambling for his clothes, the mention of the sword that will pierce his side, the looking toward redemption and the fact that He would eventually praise His Father through the mouths of worshippers in the congregation (expounded upon in Heb. 2:12)...even His final cry "It is finished!", mentioned in v. 31.What an absolutely amazing prophecy of every detail of our Lord's heinous death!

Undoubtedly...He was quoting it on the Cross, fulfilling the prophetic written Word.

As further proof to any doubters that Jesus in Messiah, the Lord and Savior of the world. Only one man has died with all of those facts recorded...there can be no imposter claiming to be He.

• 3 years later...

I think that the similarities between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus’ crucifixion were right on. I know that Jesus knew what Psalm 22 was saying and this is one of the reasons that he quoted verse 1. We will never know why the Spirit inspired David to pen these words but I think it was to warn the people at that time what was to come in the future. It was to know that it was from God.

• 11 months later...

There are many similarities between the words of Psalm 22 and Jesus crucifixion: as the notes state:

"David's lament ( in Psalm 22) seemed to be about his own sorrow, but in reality he was relating the lament of the Son of David, the Messiah himself".

Jesus was well versed in the Psalms, as the Psalms would have been available to him, when he was in the roaming the 'holy land'-as the Psalms were part of the scriptures of his day- he would have known them well.

Jesus not only quoted verse one of Psalm 22 when he was hanging on the cross, he also quoted other Psalms in the course of his ministry on earth (Psalm 78:2 and Psalm 117:26, to name a few). Jesus knew he was the Messiah (Luke 2:49) and therefore would have known that Psalm 22 was referring to himself.

• 1 month later...

Psalm 22) What similarities do you see between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus' crucifixion? Do you think Jesus understood Psalm 22 as referring to himself? Why do you think the Spirit inspired David to pen these words?

There are many similarities between the Psalm and the cross because it is prophetic of Jesus. Jesus was well versed in scripture. He teaches us to pray scripture. Jesus would have know that this psalm is referring to him and maybe gave Him some comfort because He knew the result of the crucifixion. I believe the spirit inspired David to write these words to show us that the Father has everything planned out.

• 1 year later...
On August 18, 2007 at 3:07 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Now that the passages and words were explained to me, my "eyes" have been opened. Jesus was persecuted by many.  The passages pointed out that is what is to,happen in the days leading up to his crucifixion.  As he hung from the cross he felt a deep,seperation from his father.  Vs. 14 talks about his blood draining from his body, he was thirsty, he was nailed to the cross, he can feel the pain through out his body, and people gambled for his clothing.

The Holy Spirit inspired David to write these words to foretell the coming messiah and what would transpire.

• 9 months later...

First of all He was despised and rejected by men and knew grief and understood it. Men chose to hide their faces from Him. He was despised and no one esteemed Him. I see the similarities of how He was handed over to the Gentiles and they mocked Him and ridiculed Him and insulted Him and spat upon Him and even whipped Him with a cat of nine tails and chose to crucify Him. I see how the rulers chose to mock Him on the cross and say that He could save Himself on the cross. I see how the rulers chose to meet with the rest of the rulers to kill my Lord all in the name of money. I see how Jesus is in anguish about the crucifixion and wants the cups passed from Him but only if it is in His Father’s will not His own. I see how he cries drops of blood. I see how He cries out about being thirsty and it is quenched with vinegar. I see also how they use Roman method of death meaning crucifixion to kill people. I see how that the very one they pierced is the one who is my Salvation. I see how in the end the Romans cast lots over his garments to see who will get his clothing as well. Yes I believe He did.  I believe the Spirit inspired David to write or pen it because it dealt with Jesus and how he would die and the Jews needed to know how He would die eventually.

In Psalm 22 and Isaiah 53 they both talk about Jesus being scorned and despised. In Psalm 22 and Luke 18 they both talk about Jesus being mocked and insulted. In Psalm 22 and Acts 4 they both talk about Jesus being surrounded by his clothes being torn in two. In Psalm 22 and Matthew 26, they both talk about Jesus being pored out or overwhelmed. In Psalm 22 and John 19 they both talk about Jesus being dry or thirsty when he was on the cross. In Psalm 22 and Mark 15 and Zechariah 12, they all talk about Jesus's feet and hands being pierced on the cross. In Psalm 22, Luke 23, and John 19 they talk about his garments being divided and lots being cast for them.

I believe that Jesus knew that David had foretold what would happen to him and that is why he referred to it.

I think the Spirit inspired David to write these words so that the Jews and Gentiles would see how God had planned for all this to happen. That God knew it was the only way to save mankind was to sacrifice His only Son. If Jews and others have an open mind they can see how it was planned from the very beginning and God used David to point people to Jesus.

• 2 months later...