JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (Psalm 118) What does "the stone the builders rejected" (verses 22-23) have to do with the Messiah? What do verses 25-27 have to do with the Messiah?

What does "the stone the builders rejected" (verses 22-23) have to do with the Messiah?

Jesus is the stone and the Jewish leaders, the builders have rejected Him. But God made Him the Capstone.

What do verses 25-27 have to do with the Messiah?

"Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord" was proclaimed during Jesus's Triumphal Entry into Jesursalem. Matt.21:9 The people believed that Jesus was the Coming Savior. Jesus was the Stone who would bring salvation to those who prayed to Him "Save us."

• 4 months later...

Q2. (Psalm 118) What does "the stone the builders rejected" (verses 22-23) have to do with the Messiah? What do verses 25-27 have to do with the Messiah?

The Christ is the stone that the world rejects, over and over again. Verse 22 refers to he Christ as the head of the living church., the foundation of faith in Him.

In verses 25-27, the psalmist is crying out for the coming of Christ, praying for the salvation that Christ brings, blessing Him as Messiah, and prophesying His sacrifice for us.

• 9 months later...

Jesus Christ is the Messiah-King and is throughout the Scriptures called The Rock or Chief Cornerstone of the building, His Body. We have a choice (as did the Jewish people throughout the ages) of either running to Him to be saved forever and protected by Him (or being secure for eternity in His salvation for us); or as the Jewish leaders and most of the Jews and Gentiles in the world, of completely rejecting Him as their Messiah. When Jesus Christ, the Anointed One or Messiah, is rejected by men and women, then He is described as the Rock by which they stumble or fall, or the Rock that falls upon them and crushes them to death. Those of us who are led by the Holy Spirit to let His light shine upon us, to come and know our Lord Jesus Christ as our Messiah-King, are a part of His Body, the Church, and He is the Chief Cornerstone of the Church. To Him we bless who

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Q2. (Psalm 118) What does "the stone the builders rejected" (verses 22-23) have to do with the Messiah? What do verses 25-27 have to do with the Messiah? The Messiah is our corner stone. He is what we need to make our life strong, perfect, and solid. He makes our house solid. When we reject the most important part of our house we are not complete and that will allow our house to not only fall but it will crumble into total divistation. We will alway need the Corner stone in our life. Verse 25-27 is when Jesus was before the triump of Jesus. He was talking to the people before that day come when he was to be cruified. Jesus was telling them that they needed to just except that He was the one and true Messiah and until they except that He was they will not ever see Him again. They will die and go to hell. He was giving them the opportunity to make it right but many did not take his word as the truth and that is why so many are falling today. He is the one and ONLY TRUE MESSIAH. HE IS OUR CORNER STONE. So now we can have our house build on Solid not sinking in the pit of darkness. Thank you Lord for coming to save me and being my Corner Stone and my family Corner Stone.

• 2 months later...

Jesus was rejected by the jews but He became the cornerstone of life.

The people sang it when Jesus came riding into Jerusalem for the last time.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Psalm 118) What does "the stone the builders rejected" (verses 22-23) have to do with the Messiah?

ANS - He is the cornerstone, spoken of in Isaiah 28:16, of whom the leaders of Israel rejected. I like how the on-line study describes him - the Capstone, the Keystone, the Cornerstone - it is the stone that crowns the building, the most prominent and important stone of the entire structure. Thank the Lord, that is my Jesus!

ANS - This passage is a prophetic description of Jesus triumphal entry into Jerusalem sitting on a donkey, as the people shouted "Hosanna". But yet the leaders of Israel rejected him.

• 1 month later...

We can see from New Testament scripture that the religious leaders of Jesus' time tried to discredit Him time and time again as they built up their self importance in the religious community of the day. In my own life it is easy to fall into the trap of pointing fingers to those in positions of religious authority, while forgetting to examine the temple God is intent on building within me. It is of eternal importance that I personally do not reject the perfect cornerstone He has provided.

The image of boughs in hand as we parade to the altar of sacrifice is one easily related to the triumphant Passover entry of Jesus into Jerusalem on what we as Christians have come to call Palm Sunday.

22 The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone;23 the LORD has done this,and it is marvelous in our eyes.

Jesus is the capstone of our church; he is our foundation, our salvation. The Lord, Father-God, raised him from the dead, what a miracle. This is the marvbelous sight for our eyses, those of us who have not seen yet we believe.

25 O LORD, save us;O LORD, grant us success. 26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD. From the house of the LORD we bless you. [a] 27 The LORD is God,

and he has made his light shine upon us. With boughs in hand, join in the festal procession up to the horns of the altar.

All our hope is upon Jesus; ther is no other hope. He said it, the bible says it across the new testament as well.

• 3 months later...

I guess you can class Pharisees etc as 'builders' of the church and God's kingdom, they did try. Jesus is the main component to the church, the cornerstone and the builders rejected Him.

The words "blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord" were used as on Palm sunday when Jesus rode in on a Donkey. "Bind the sacrifice with cords to the horn of the alter" is very similar to what happened to Jesus, he was the sacrifice for us on an alter, some images of Him on the cross show rope around his arms. But he was fastened to the cross so that he couldn't move easily.

• 2 months later...

The chief priests, scides and pharsees they rejected the messiah. While yahweh has designate him as the capstone, keystone and cornerstone. This verses the people was ask him to save them.

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus is the living stone, sent by the Father so we could have a relationship with Him. His own people rejected Him,they didn't believe He was the Messiah.

The people were asking for salvation(deliverance), the Father sent His Son and verse 27 represents Jesus sacrifice on the cross for the forgiveness of sins. His shed blood was the ultimate (final) sacrificial offering on the mercy seat.

• 2 weeks later...

The stone the builders rejected relates to the significance of the key capstone in the construction of a building. It's considered the crown of the building being the most important stone because it sets the corner

Jesus is the most important feature in our spiritual life. Without him in the most prominent

place of our faith journey our belief system may be weak. Verses 25-27 demonstrates the love of the people for Christ and how they worshipped him with all they had. They accepted and acknowledged thoroughly who Jesus is.

• 3 months later...

Q2. (Psalm 118)

What does "the stone the builders rejected" (verses 22-23) have to do with the Messiah?

Jesus referred to Himself as the stone which the builders rejected, which becomes the chief cornerstone (Matthew 21:42), the foundation stone, the stone that strengthens and holds the structure together

• 2 weeks later...

"The stone the builders rejected" refers to the religious leaders who rejected Jesus' deity. In truth, though, He is the cornerstone of our faith and came to be the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Upon Him, we can build our spiritual houses of hope and abundant life. I believe verses 25-27 talk about Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem. Just as the people of that day shouted "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord," we can join in celebrating that He has come, He is here with us as our intercessor, and He is coming again to take us back to live with Him forever. "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!"

• 6 months later...

Q2. (Psalm 118) What does "the stone the builders rejected" (verses 22-23) have to do with the Messiah?

"COME TO HIM, THEN TO THAT LIVING STONE WHICH MEN TRIED AND THREW AWAY, BUT WHICH IS CHOSEN AND PRECIOUS IN THE LORD'S SIGHT...(I PETER 2:4)

JESUS IS MESSIAH...TO THEM HE WAS JUST A MAN THEY WANTED TO GET RID OF BECAUSE HE CHALLENGED THEIR HYPOCRISY. THROUGH HIS DEATH, BURIAL AND RESURRECTION, HE HAS BECOME THE CHIEF CORNERSTONE OF HIS CHURCH, THE BODY OF CHRIST.

"FOR THUS IT STANDS IN SCRIPTURE: BEHOLD, I AM LAYING IN ZION A CHOSEN, HONORED, PRECIOUS CHIEF CORNERSTONE, AND HE WHO BELIEVES IN HIM SHALL NEVER BE DISAPPOINTED OR PUT TO SHAME. I PETER 1:6; IS.28:16....THE VERY STONE WHICH THE BUILDERS REJECTED HAS BECOME THE MAN CORNERSTONE. I PETER 2:7

THESE VERSES SPEAK ABOUT HIM SAVING US; HE IS THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD; THEY SPEAK OF HIS TRIUMPHAL ENTRANCE AS MESSIAH INTO JERUSALEM RIDING ON A DONKEY WHILE THE ONLOOKERS WAVED PALM BRANCHES. BINDING THE SACRIFICE TO THE HORNS OF THE ALTAR, I BELIEVE IS A FORETELLING OF HIS SACRIFICIAL DEATH ON THE CROSS TO SAVE ALL SINNERS. ALL ARE MESSIANIC PROPHECY WHICH JESUS FULFILLED.

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...

According to the notes, the stone was the chief cornerstone, mentioned in the verses above was the most important stone to the building, structurally. Jesus quotes verse 22 and 23 of this Psalm, he used this imagery- the most important stone of the structure, to apply himself. The verses of the psalm in question are used also by Peter in his epistles, and Paul (in Acts). Verse 25-27 refer to the salvation offered by the Messiah (John 12:13, Matt 21:9-11).

• 1 month later...

Psalm 118) What does "the stone the builders rejected" (verses 22-23) have to do with the Messiah? What do verses 25-27 have to do with the Messiah?

The stone the builders rejected is the Messiah, verses 25-27 is what the people proclaimed as they were waving palm branches as Jesus entered Jerusalem. These verses foretold Jesus coming to earth to be our sacrifice .

• 1 year later...
On August 18, 2007 at 3:17 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Jesus was the stone that the builders rejected.  Jesus is the stone, the main thing that holds us up.   He was rejected by those in power.  However the common man heard him and understood his promises.

Jesus came to this earth, to represent God.  We are blessed as we are now part of Jesus' family.  He entered Jerusalem with people waving palm branches and celebrating him.  We are to do the same, celebrate Jesus because his truths are how we should live.

• 10 months later...

According to the Complete Matthew Henry Commentary it says this about verses 22 and 23 It deals with His humiliation because He was rejected by the rulers of the Jews and the people as well. It also deals with His exaltation as well. Because God chose Jesus exalt Him when He humbled Himself in what He did. Verses 25-27 are the Hosanna verses of the psalm and they speak praise to the Messiah about His majesty.

In Psalm 118 and in verses in the New Testament, Jesus and Peter talk about a cornerstone. Jesus is the cornerstone that the religious leaders rejected. He is the cornerstone of the Christian faith. He is what we as Christians are to build upon. No one can get to God without accepting Jesus. He is the most important part of Christianity; without Him, no one can be saved. The Jewish leaders or Pharisees refused to believe that He was God's Son and the Messiah. They rejected Him and had Him crucified. But one day He will return and He will crush them.

Verses 25-27 are repeated in the Gospels of Matthew and John when the crowds welcomed Jesus by throwing down palm branches and saying," Blesses is he who comes in the name of the Lord. It directly refers to Jesus triumphal entry into Jerusalem before He was crucified. It is almost like a prophecy foretold ahead of time about the Lord. It proves that the Bible is true because of how the passages correlate to one another. The psalmist was talking about Jesus and Jesus and the apostles reiterated what was said.

• 11 months later...

When Solomon’s temple was being built, massive stones were cut out and chiseled in a quarry away from the temple site, so that no sound would be heard when the stones were assembled in the temple site. The stones were cut to such perfection that not even a knife blade could fit into the joints of these stones. The stones were enormous stones weighing several tons and they were hauled into the temple site. Tradition says that one of the stones that were transported to temple site was the corner stone. Since it was not fitting other stones, they threw it into the Kidron Valley as they couldn’t figure out the purpose of that stone. Over the period of time with all the refuse being dumped into the Kidron Valley, stone was completely forgotten. At the end of the project the corner stone was missing – until someone remembered that it had been rejected and thrown away. Jesus was the Chief Cornerstone and He quotes this passage in Matthew 21:42 as a reference to Himself. It is on Him that we the living stones are being built together to be a holy temple unto the Lord. But just as the Jewish nation rejected the corner stone, but ultimately took it back from the place they that dumped it into, they will ultimately accept Him as their Messiah.

The only event Jesus orchestrated in His life was when He rode on a donkey to Jerusalem and presented Himself as their King. When a king comes into town riding on a donkey, he is coming in peace. Else he would be riding in a horse. When Jesus presented Himself as riding on a donkey, He was presenting Himself as their Messiah, the King. As their King, the people could choose to accept Him or reject Him. Even though they cried out echoing the verses of this psalm – Hosanna, save us now, Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord, within a week the very same people, instigated by their leaders, cried out crucify Him and thus rejected their Messiah and King. Unless we accept Him for who He is, He cannot reign in our hearts as King.

• 4 years later...

Rosesam's description above is fascinating. It makes sense that they chiseled the rocks from a distance so the people wouldn't be disturbed by the constant sound of the hammering as well as have do deal with piles of rock refuse or shards left over.

When the construction of large public buildings begins they often lay one stone on the corner that faces the busiest street. Thus, it is the first stone laid which connects two walls. You can often see the date of the building's construction chiseled into that stone. So, the cornerstone is not a capstone but a foundational stone.

I see trinitarian metaphors here (but am probably just being imaginative.)  Jesus connects two walls (the Spirit and the Father). He's also the foundation of human faith, the essential rock that cannot be pulled. He was rejected by the Jews as Messiah (and still is) which means that only Christians have the Messiah as their foundational rock.

---

In this time of persecution, this verse means much to me:

"The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?
The L
ORD is with me; he is my helper.
I will look in triumph on my enemies." (118:6-7)

With God, I know that the worst thing that can happen to me is that I'm martyred and taken home to heaven. That's the worst my persecutors can do to me. I trust His promises to help me and that I will triumph over my enemies.  I know that death will not be my end.

"What can man do to me?" Well, a lot, actually. We all know the horrors that people inflict on each other. YET, this verse counsels us not to be afraid, that in the end, we triumph.