JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Welcome

Pastor Ralph

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I'm Kaitlin from Minnesota. I just finished the Names of God study several weeks ago, so this will be my second one. I'm really looking forward to doing this study, because lately, I've been thinking about the point of everything a lot, including the real meaning of Christmas. I know we always say "Jesus is the reason for the season," but are we really acting like that's what we believe? Since when did we ever get presents on other people's birthdays? Christmas is first and foremost Jesus' birthday, so shouldn't we be thinking about what we could give to Him, thinking about what He has asked of us in His word? This is what I feel like I need to be working this Christmas.

I'm in choir at the college I go to, and we've been working on Part One of Handel's Messiah for our Christmas concert. This has also caused me to consider the deeper implications of Christmas. I wasn't aware of it before, but the Messiah is pretty much 100% inspired by scripture, if not direct quotes, and it has been great to be able to meditate on these verses much more than I would have had the chance to otherwise. I miss hearing the solos in our rehersals, since I am only part of the choir, yet even the chorus parts that I sing on are some aspects of Christmas that I think we tend to forget. Take the words from the first chorus--"And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed. And all flesh will see it together." Isn't that ultimately what God's plan has always be aiming towards? Everything God does brings Him glory. Here's another..."And He shall purify the sons of Levi, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness." This purification, this redemption, is what Christmas started. We tend to compartmentalize Christmas and Easter, yet they are each pointless without the other. This is where it starts. Sure, we all know that we give gifts supposedly because God gave the best gift of all, in His Son, yet I think we often forget the implications of this gift. This gift was pure sacrifice. Pure humility. Pure love. This Christmas, I hope we are all challanged to more fully consider the gift of salvation we have been given, and that, in light of this gift, set into motion at Christmas, we will pursue of life of great joy and sacrifice.

Hi,I'm Tammy and I live in West Virginia. I am married to an amazing man for 17 years. We have no children, but are really close with our niece and nephew. God has worked in amazing ways in our lives. We are truly blessed. I have done several studies, but have not participated in the online forums. I am looking forward to this! :D

I live in northwest Virginia near Winchester. I am 42, married with two teenage boys. This is the first time I have participated in an online bible study.

I struggle each year with Christmas. Observing Advent always helps me through, but I usually have more questions than answer come new year.

Hello, I'm Cathy from Arkansas. I've done several of the studies, but not been active in the forums.

I am married to my soul mate and have 3 beautiful boys. The oldest is about to be 15 and has been saved since he was 6. The middle son is 7 and was saved the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Praise the Lord! The youngest is 6 and is getting close. He's asking questions.

I've been saved since I was 7 also. I teach a Sunday school class of 6 & 7th grade girls. I plan to use this lesson as a basis for my Christmas lessons in December. I am also a youth group leader and have a small group of 11th grade girls.

I am a Christmas nut and I'm trying to put more spiritual aspects in our celebrations. This study will give me motivation to do that. Thanks for offering it!!

Hello, all! My name is Christi, and I'm 34. This is my first online Bible study and I am very much looking forward to it! I live in a little town in Southwestern Virginia with my husband of 9 years and my sons, 6 and 4. I teach first grade and LOVE my job! Can't wait to get to know ya'll better!

Hi, I am El (short for Ellen) in the Central United States. God has blessed me with the family I never thought I could possibly have--a good & kind husband of 21 years, and 2 wonderful children, 2 mis-matched dogs, and a lazy brown tabby cat. I am in ministry as a children's Christian Education director at our church of membership...(and the regular-attending children may be more advanced theologically than most of our adults--who are sadly barely beyond kindergarten to echo some other comments!!!!)

I have taken several classes on-line, which included discussion forums, and have missed the sense of community that developed in that setting. It has been several years since the last one, and our church only occasionally has Bible study, so I have been longing for in-depth Bible study with others. Personal Bible study has its place, but Bible study takes on so much more dimension when undertaken as a group. I hope to find depth and challenge here.

Grace and Peace to all fellow sojourners!

Hi Rosemary,

I was kind of inspired by your comments about visiting local churches and finding one that fits for you and your family. I am kind of new to my area and get flustered in finding the perfect church. You have opened my eyes to the fact that it's a spiritual journey to find the best place to worship.

I have moved several times in my adult life & also find the church search a little daunting. The last time we moved, we sought God's direction for a good place to serve, as well as to worship--kind of an "ask not what the church can do for you; ask what you can do for the church" approach. We ended up in a denomination we would not have expected, and we have had some rough times, and have questioned our purpose there, but after 6 years, we have seen some of the fruits of our labors, and that has been encouraging. God has certainly used us where we are.

Prayers for all who are looking to find a "good fit."

Hello - My name is Janice and I am from South Dakota. I've have done an online Bible study before but not with Joyful Heart and am looking forward to hearing what everyone here has to say. I have a lonnnnngggggg ways to go in my Christian walk - it is to easy to be neglectful of the thing that is the most important thing - the walk with Jesus. So just know I am listening even if I don't write my thoughts. :lol:

Dear Friend,

Welcome to the online Bible study forum for Christmas Incarnation.

It's exciting to meet other people who are involved in this Bible study. Why don't you check in and share a bit about yourself, and what state and country you are from. Please do NOT include your e-mail address. Be discrete about sharing private things about yourself.

Yours in Christ,

Pastor Ralph

Hello All,

My name is Mike and this is my first online forum and I am looking forward to learning more about how it works, and discussing important issues about what we believe as Christians. I am a born-again believer since 1972 and have read and studied the Bible continuously for all these years. Despite my familiarity with the Bible, I continue to be amazed at how rich and deep His word is, and how much I have yet to learn about God's word. I will pray that this forum will help all of us to grow to be more and more like Jesus.

Right now, I am using the Christmas Incarnation study in my Small Group Meeting at Christ Church in East Greenwich, RI, and tomorrow is our first lesson on this topic. Please pray for us.

• 11 months later...
Dear Friend,

It's exciting to meet other people who are involved in this Bible study. Why don't you check in and share a bit about yourself, and what state and country you are from. Please do NOT include your e-mail address. Be discrete about sharing private things about yourself.

Yours in Christ,

Pastor Ralph

Hello there...My name is Geri...I've done several of Pastor Ralph's studies and consider this opportunity a real blessing. Been married 27 years...two grown children...and God's got me right where He wants me...steeped in His Word like a good pot of tea....Looking forward to studying with all of you...

Dear Friend,

Yours in Christ,

Pastor Ralph

Hi All,

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm so excited to do this Christmas study with you! I was born on Christmas day, and my middle name is Mary, after Jesus' Mother and my Dad's Mother. It's such a beautiful and holy season...my favorite, because of the gift we were given in Jesus.

I believe this will be my 6th study with Pastor Ralph, and each one has been wonderful! I've been married for 42 years, have 2 grown children and we all live in the San Francisco Bay Area of Northern California.

Christmas joy to each of you!

JanMary

Hi! I am in North Carolina. Married for 27 years and have 2 boys that are currently enrolled in college. I travel alot with my job, so attending Bible Studies at my church are out of the question. I do many on my own on the road, but have never participated in an online study. I am looking forward to this study. I am glad to have found a study that specifically relates to this holy season. I need something to keep me focused on the reason for the season.