JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Character of Joseph

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Husband. Her betrothed husband would reject her. Her pregnancy would embarrass him and reflect on his character. She couldn't expect him to understand or accept her condition.

2. Penalty. At worst she could be stoned. The law provided in cases like this for possible stoning (Deuteronomy 22:13-30), especially if the man and married woman are caught in the act of adultery. Stoning for adultery still took place in first century Palestine.

3. Shunning. At best, her family would allow her to live at home, though her supposed adultery would hurt their standing in the community. She and her ******* child would be shunned.

4. Remarriage. No upstanding man would ever marry her, since the stigma of her supposed adultery would remain with her and taint the reputation of any husband.

5. No where to go. She couldn't go to the city and be lost in its anonymity. Single women just didn't live alone. This was a family-centered culture where a woman's work centered around home and family. There was no work for single women, except perhaps as a housekeeper in a wealthy home -- or prostitution.

And so Joseph decided to divorce Mary, but to do it in such a way as to protect her as much as he could, given the situation. We see in Joseph a gentleness and maturity. A righteous man, but not a man full of himself. Joseph was a man seeking to do the right thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Matthew 1:19)

What were Mary's options being pregnant and carrying a baby not her husband's?

Joseph could reject her by divorcing her

Mary could be stoned

She and her family and child could be shunned by the community

No man would ever mary her

If her family did not take her back she would have no where to go. Women at this time just did not live by themselves. The most work she could hope for would be a housekeeper or as a prostitute.

What kind of character did Joseph exhibit by deciding to divorce Mary quietly and leniently?

Joseph was a righteous man – he observed the Jewish law and valued his reputation. But, he was also honorable and not revengeful or spiteful. He decided to divorce Mary in the least grounds possible so as to avoid accusations of adultry.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Matthew 1:19) What were Mary's options being pregnant and carrying a baby not her husband's?

A woman carrying a child not fathered by her husband had very little in the way of options. Her betrothed husband wouldn't marry her because the baby wasn't his.

Staying home and out of public sight along with her child was probably her best option, if they even let her keep living there. She'd be forever shunned by the community and most likely her family as well. There was also the possibility of a public stoning if enough people made a big deal of it.

What kind of character did Joseph exhibit by deciding to divorce Mary quietly and leniently?

Joseph wanted to do the right thing. He wanted to obey the law of Moses. But he also didn't want to insist on the full penalty which by rights he could have. He was going to divorce Mary on the quiet and not make a fuss. Less embarassment for her that way. His decision was the most lenient way to go about it. That way of thinking shows a maturity of character and a man slow to anger and concerned for the well-being of others.

Actually this is the first Bible study I've done in which this issue was discussed. Mostly it's glossed over once you get to the next verse where the angel of The Lord appears to Joseph and tells him to go ahead and marry Mary.

Looking at things chronologically, Mary would have returned from Elizabeth and Zachariah's home after John the Baptist's birth, three months pregnant. In Luke we read that she immediately went to Elizabeth and I'm betting she didn't tell Joseph the reason why. So when she returned, obviously pregnant, he could have really lost his rag but he didn't.

I thought I had already replied to this topic. has there been a computer glitch or is there a censorship?

Mary was truly in a pickle. She could not claim 'virgin birth' as she would just be laughed at. Joseph was unlikely to go through with the marriage. She had no chance of a future husband so she would have to rely on her family to cover her and carry the shame.

To a 21st century man Joseph might look a bit wanting. Did he not talk it through with Mary. Was he not prepared to believe her incredible story (stand up if you think you would!). His quoted 'lenient action' toward Mary because he loved her nicely got him of the hook but still left her to cope with it all on her own.

However Joseph was a 1st century Palestinian and as such he showed great character in going against the religeous law and avoiding further difficulties for Mary.

(Matthew 1:19) What were Mary's options being pregnant and carrying a baby not her husband's? What kind of character did Joseph exhibit by deciding to divorce Mary quietly and leniently?

Mary didn't really have many options. Joseph had some options. He could have married her, quietly divorced her, or publicly disgraced her (which would have led to her death by stoning).

Joseph must have been a gentle and loving man. He was not a legalist or a hot head.

Q2. (Matthew 1:19) What were Mary's options being pregnant and carrying a baby not her husband's? What kind of character did Joseph exhibit by deciding to divorce Mary quietly and leniently?

Her options were to be rejected by her husband, to be stoned, to be shunned, to be given to another for marriage, or to be lost in society, shut away and forgotten. Joseph exhibited the character of a just and gentle man seeking to do the right thing not to embarrass Mary.

Quite simply, Mary's life would have been long and hard. Shunned by family and community, no where to go, no place to stay, no chance of a future husband. Joseph shows incredible character by considering Mary's welfare (as best he could anyway) in his decision to divorce her leniently. Even though he assumes she was unfaithful, he tries to give her the best possible outcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Mary found herself in a shamed and unwanted position for a single woman. Her future would be of banishment from her family and social community.

However, Joseph demonstrates a righteous character with concerns for Mary's situation. He shows much compassion and heart for his wife-to-be, not in exposing her, but in keeping it all quiet. He therefore "cover" her as God does when we sin.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Matthew 1:19)

What were Mary's options being pregnant and carrying a baby not her husband's?

a) Mary's options were grim. She could be divorced, stoned for adultry,

she and her child could be shunned. Also no respectable man would mary her.

Mary's only prospect to support herself and Jesus would be maybe a housekeeper

in a wealty house, or prostitution.

B) When Joseph decided to divorce Mary he wanted to protect Mary as much as

he could. He chose to avoid the accusation of adultry. Joseph was a mature gentle

righteous man, not full of himself and he carefully observed the Jewish law. He was

a man of high character and Joseph was seeking to do the right thing.

• 9 months later...

Mary, being unmarried and pregnant had few options.  According to the custom committing adultery made her unlikely to be married to either Joseph or another man.  Mary could have been stoned.  She also could be shunned by the community and when the child was born he too would be shunned.  She would be at the mercy of her parents if if they would have her.  Joseph had choices to make.  He could have her stoned.  But, he couldn't do it to her.  He was a man who obeyed the law and had a good reputation.  But he could not marry a woman who was with child of another man.  There could be a trial and a very messy public divorce.  Joseph  wanted to avoid the accusation of adultery as the reason for the divorce.  To divorce her quietly meant leniently.  Joseph was a thoughtful caring man and he was considerate of Mary.

• 2 weeks later...

Mary could have been falsely accused and also stoned because of her pregnancy. she would not be understood by anybody even if she had discuss and tell her family that what is in her womb was of the Holy Spirit. she would have been treated badly by her community and made her live in isolation .

Joseph on the other hand was an upright and righteous man and he did not mary to be publicly exposed. He was a peaceful and loving man and did not want to accuse or harm mary in anyway except made a quiet plan to divorce her. Joseph observed the traditions and laws of the Jewish culture and since he was a man of honesty and integrity he niether broke the law or accused mary but sought to divorce her quietly.

First he thought of HER.

Joseph was not self-righteous. His initial instinct was not "She did this to ME!"

The sinful nature is to be selfish and  ego-centered.

God's grace is reflected in Joseph's initial response to protect Mary.

God may even have controlled the heart strings of both Mary and Joseph in this extremely unusual situation.

• 3 weeks later...

Marys' options were few . First , she could be stoned , second , she could be shunned by friend & family alike.  GOD knew that Josephs' character was such that he would protect Mary & except JESUS as his own son . I believe this is why he was chosen to be the father of our LORD , also because he was of the line of David .

Q2. (Matthew 1:19) What were Mary's options being pregnant and carrying a baby not her husband's? What kind of character did Joseph exhibit by deciding to divorce Mary quietly and leniently?

I think Mary had the option to terminate the pregnancy when the chips were down but God's grace was available for and she could remember her pledge to God through the angel that she was the Lord's maid willing to do as He wanted. So she kept the baby.

Joseph wanted to quietly divorce Mary because he was such a considerate and righteous man who though wanted to show his righteousness to prove he was not the father of the child, yet was willing to protect her from public ridicule.

It appears that Mary's fate is in Joseph's hands. Will he divorce her, marry her, or public ally humiliate and forsake her? Eventually, Joseph exhibits compassion and gentle maturity towards Mary--he will quietly divorce her and avoid all the shameful drama.

Even before he was obedient to God's will, Joseph displayed the traits of mercy and grace that will later exemplify his "adopted" son, Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

Mary's only option was to wait upon the Lord for Yahweh says "You are my servant , I have chosen you and not cast you off, do not fear, for I am with you , do not be afraid, for I am your God, I will strengthen you, I will help you  , I will uphold you with my victorious right hand." (Isaiah 42:9b-10. You see  If Joseph did not do the right thing Mary would have no where to go, couldn't remarry (marriage was the only possibility for a young girl in that society), She would be shunned by society and she might even be stoned. Joseph may reject her but God had chosen for Mary a righteous man. Joseph decided to divorce Mary, but to do it in such a way as to protect her as much as he could, given the situation. We see in Joseph a character of gentleness and maturity. A righteous man, but not a man full of himself. Joseph was a man seeking to do the right thing.(notes) But the story continues.

Mary's only option was to wait upon the Lord for Yahweh says "You are my servant , I have chosen you and not cast you off, do not fear, for I am with you , do not be afraid, for I am your God, I will strengthen you, I will help you  , I will uphold you with my victorious right hand." (Isaiah 42:9b-10. You see  If Joseph did not do the right thing Mary would have no where to go, couldn't remarry (marriage was the only possibility for a young girl in that society), She would be shunned by society and she might even be stoned. Joseph may reject her but God had chosen for Mary a righteous man. Joseph decided to divorce Mary, but to do it in such a way as to protect her as much as he could, given the situation. We see in Joseph a character of gentleness and maturity. A righteous man, but not a man full of himself. Joseph was a man seeking to do the right thing.(notes) But the story continues.

• 2 years later...

Except for the grace of God Mary didn’t have any options since she was pregnant and it wasn’t her husband’s baby. Joseph was a kind man and exhibited great compassion with his thoughts of deciding to divorce Mary quietly. He loved her and didn’t want to hurt her.

• 3 years later...

According to Jewish Law she would have been stoned to death for carrying an illegitimate child. Even if she was not stoned and had Joseph not married her, she would have lived a very destitute life as in those days a woman’s husband and sons was her social security. She would have been mocked by her society and she indeed would have been actually mocked and talked back as her Son was indeed accused of being an illegitimate Child, which we read in the gospel of John.

Joseph would have been devastated in knowing that Mary was pregnant, and at this point he would have assumed that she was an adulterer. He was hurt but he was not motivated to hurt her back – an attitude that we need to learn. He didn’t want his hurt to dictate the course of action to be taken for their separation. Bible says that Joseph was a just man and he did not want her to be publicly ridiculed. So he wanted to quietly call off their engagement by going for a divorce. Even for divorce, as it would have required witnesses, Joseph would have been prudent in selecting the witnesses who would be discreet and would keep silence as to the reasons of their divorce. Then when God spoke to him to take her as his wife, he went ahead with obedience, even when his reputation was at stake and there was a probability of being ridiculed that he had been the reason for her pregnancy before their marriage. He was a just man and a man of good reputation. But he was willing to be obedient to God. God indeed, not only chose the right woman to be His Son’s mother, but also the right father figure for Jesus during His childhood days.

• 3 years later...

Q2. Mary had very few options! As an unmarried girl she would be treated badly. The worst would have been thought about her. In the most extreme case she could be stoned to death, she would certainly be shunned by her community and caused shame at home. She could not disappear and travel away as that was unheard of at the time, as a woman’s place was with her family until she got married . Women did not have independent lives. Joseph bead a righteous man and he showed that he was a truely righteous man in the way he handled the situation, until he found out from God about the origin of Mary’s pregnancy he had intended to divorce her quietly. He was going to do this despite thinking that Mary had been unfaithful to him and betrayed him. He did not seek his revenge by dragging her through the courts and telling the world how badly he had been treated. He was only thinking about her and wanted to spare her even more disgrace. God knew the kind of man He wanted to look after Mary and her precious burden.