JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Gifts for the Christ-Child

IQ3. (Matthew 2:11b) Why was it appropriate for the Magi bring gifts to the Christ-child? How does the extravagance of their gifts reflect their heart attitude? What kinds of gifts are appropriate for us to bring?

The wise men gave expensive gifts as worthy acknowledgement for the future King. The gift symbols of Christ

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Matthew 2:11b) Why was it appropriate for the Magi bring gifts to the Christ-child? How does the extravagance of their gifts reflect their heart attitude? What kinds of gifts are appropriate for us to bring?

They were coming to pay homiage to a King, who would also give an even greater gift to them their own salvation. Their extravagance shows thay were in awe of Him and they truly believed that He was the real King of the Jews as the word of God had promised.

We can't bring a gift worthy of what Christ has done for us the only thing we can bring is a repentant heart and a desire to live holy lives as His servants and His flock.

Q3. (Matthew 2:11b) Why was it appropriate for the Magi bring gifts to the Christ-child? How does the extravagance of their gifts reflect their heart attitude? What kinds of gifts are appropriate for us to bring?

They were coming to pay homiage to a King, who would also give an even greater gift to them their own salvation. Their extravagance shows thay were in awe of Him and they truly believed that He was the real King of the Jews as the word of God had promised.

We can't bring a gift worthy of what Christ has done for us the only thing we can bring is a repentant heart and a desire to live holy lives as His servants and His flock.

• 1 month later...

1. Why was it appropriate for the Magi bring gifts to the Christ-child?

The Magi recognized and honored the child, Jesus, as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. The Messiah.

2. How does the extravagance of their gifts reflect their heart attitude?

They were standing before their Creator! The Lord God to whom they owed their existence, gifts, skills, everything! Humbly, the Magi realized that they could NEVER bring enough gifts, of any price or value, that was good enough for GOD! None the less, their hearts overflowed with reverence, joy, wonder, humility, a multitude of feelings for the privilege and honor of coming before the Christ-child.

3. What kinds of gifts are appropriate for us to bring?

We bring Jesus the best of ourselves: our talents, spiritual gifts and fruits of the spirit, our resources, EVERYTHING. Presenting ourselves as living sacrifices before the throne of grace is a powerful acknowledgement of all the Lord is. Present yourself as a living sacrifice and Abba, the Father, will scoop you up in His arms. 

• 9 months later...

Q3. (Matthew 2:11b) Why was it appropriate for the Magi bring gifts to the Christ-child? :P

Whenever foreign dignitaries would appear before a great king they

would bring gifts as a sign of obeisance and honor. The Magi are aware that this newborn baby is King of the Jews.

How does the extravagance of their gifts reflect their heart attitude? :rolleyes:

They want to give their King the very best they have to give.

What kinds of gifts are appropriate for us to bring? :huh:

It is appropriate for us to bring our very best to Jesus. Whatever we give or do to His glory should be the very best we have to offer.

It was appropriate for the Magi to bring gifts to the CHrist child because gifting shows love and appreciation. Their extravagant gifts show how valuable the humble babe is to them. We can bring to Christ everything we have. We can hold nothing back.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Matthew 2:11b) Why was it appropriate for the Magi bring gifts to the Christ-child?

It was customary to bring gifts to royalty...they recognized Jesus as the Messiah King of the Jews.

How does the extravagance of their gifts reflect their heart attitude?

They offered the best they could bring as a reflection of their gratitude in finding the One they had been searching for. It's such a God thing to provide this wealth and provision for Mary, Joseph and Jesus, prior to sending them into exile in Egypt to escape Herod's sword,in order to care for them there.

What kinds of gifts are appropriate for us to bring?

All that we are and have...body as living sacrifice, will and spirit in total surrender to Him. Anything less is wood, hay and stubble.

Q3. (Matthew 2:11b) Why was it appropriate for the Magi bring gifts to the Christ-child? It was the custom.

How does the extravagance of their gifts reflect their heart attitude? They brought their best.

What kinds of gifts are appropriate for us to bring? We are to present our bodies as living sacrifices...there isn't anything better ... He desires our very lives.

• 5 weeks later...

It showed their obedience and honor because they knew He was the King of Kings. Their heart attitude- they gave him the best they had. For us- we are to bring our best before the Lord, which is ourselves. It does not manner how great or small, all God wants is to worship Him from our heart, our whole heart.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

It was the custom to honor kings with gifts.

We are to give our best to our King and these gifts represented the best. I believe God choose the Magi for a reason, I believe that God had prepared them for years for this, I believe they knew in their heart of hearts that this was the Christ-child and while maybe they did not comprehend everything at the time they knew what they were to do.

Gold for Christ's royalty

Frankincense for His deity

Myrrh for His humanity and death

Everything we have is His and He wants our hearts. If our heart is in the right place the rest will fall into line.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Maybe one of your gifts is seeing the good in others, encouraging others in their gifts. Seems to me sometimes, that the areas we are the most frustrated about in ourselves are actually aspects of abiliiesy or gifts that are blocked. I have been rather introverted all my life, still not good at conversation. But I'm finding, growing out of my frustration over that, a growing care for others and a wish to pray for them. Also, a desire to communicate which is being met by writing....mostly journaling, but it's a start! I believe you will use your strengths (gifts)....maybe already are and don't know it!

have absolutely suffered from "gift envy." It seems like I can see everyone else's gift but my own. I've even accused God of skipping me. Maybe it's because of that envy again. I hear one friend singing like an angel, I see another friend who has so much compassion for the sick...the list goes on and on.

It appropriate for the Magi bring gifts to the Christ-child because as munificent gifts as distinguished personages appearing before a king, they would be considered quite appropriate, perhaps as specimens of the products of their country. The extravagance of their gifts reflect their heart attitude because they brought the very best. The kinds of gifts that are appropriate for us to bring is that which cost us "death to the flesh," being alive in Him.

That is what people did back then for their Kings,so it would only be correct to give gifts to Jesus, their new King. When you give with your heart you give the best you have, whether it is time, or what ever is valuable at that time.It is your heart that God desires so let us give that to Him. :rolleyes:

Q3 In ancient days, for any country, custom and protocol played a vital role. For head

of state to visit a foreign country empty handed was considered rude and an insult.

Therefore, it was appropriate and courteous for the Magi to bring gifts to the

Christ-child because they (Magi) themselves were kings of the East and as head of a

country, it was the right attitude, good gesture and hospitality on their part.

Especially, coming to the King of kings and Lord of lords and in a way proud to

display the produce of their own country.

The Magi truly gave the best of the best befitting someone higher than a

sovereignty. The highest obeisance and honor expressing their greatest pleasure

from their hearts.

For us to bring, is ourselves with no conditions attached. Prostrating and giving

of our all to Him according to His will for us. We need to remind ourselves that

God created us and our lives belong to Him.

• 2 weeks later...

Why was it appropriate for the Magi bring gifts to the Christ-child?

Because they understood the child was a King. When visiting a King, one would bring gifts to show honor and submission.

The extravagant gifts were an outward example of their belief and their faith in the King of Kings, in this Christ-child.

Our gifts should be expressed in doing our very best for God. We can do this 'best' in praise and worship. And we can also do this 'best' towards others, especially our brothers and sisters in Christ.

Matthew 2:11b-Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh.

As noted in Pastor Ralph's commentary, it was common to bring gifts to a king and this King was King of all Kings.

I believe that the extravagance represents both the importance of the King and secondly the significance of the meaning of each gift - significance in gold for Christ's royalty, frankincense for his deity, and myrrh for his humanity, ultimately his burial (again noted in Pastor Ralph's commentary). The Magi heart attitude reflected their belief that they had found God's Son.

Our heart and obedience are the gifts that we should bring to Jesus. Secondly, it is our talent, time and tithes.

Q3. (Matthew 2:11b) Why was it appropriate for the Magi bring gifts to the Christ-child? How does the extravagance of their gifts reflect their heart attitude? They were coming to pay homage to the King of Kings, the Messiah. It would have been, and indeed still is traditional to bring gifts when visiting royalty, so how much more so when coming to pay homage to the King of Kings. The nature of the gifts clearly reflects their heart felt belief that here was the Messiah.

What kinds of gifts are appropriate for us to bring? The best we have of everything.

Q3. (Matthew 2:11b)

It would have been appropriate for the Magi to bring gifts to Jesus; they were honouring the newborn King. Besides worshipping our Lord, these gifts were probably the means by which Joseph took his family to Egypt. It could have been enough to sustain them for the duration of their stay until Herod died. It is not the value of our gifts but rather the heart with which they are given. Each one of us gives according to our ability, thereby also honouring and worshipping our Lord and Saviour.

We need to search within ourselves and ask "how can I best use my skills, abilities, and LIFE as an offering to Christ?". I think prayerful reflection will help me answer the question of what I can give to Jesus.

The magi had come to worship the King. They fell down in worship...placing themselves in the lower position. They then broke open their treasures...this is defined as "the place in which good and precious things are collected and laid up. They bowed low and brought to the Child King Jesus gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. Gold is a precious metal. Although they may have had riches, gold is offered as the best of the best of their treasures that measure wealth. They were giving gold and not storing it up. I think gold would have represented their worldly riches. They brought frankincense. This is a sweet perfume that was one of the ingredients in the perfume of the sanctuary. It was also used as an accompaniment of the meat offering. When burnt, it emitted a fragrant odor and hence the incense became of symbol of the Divine name. and an emblem of prayer. (Easton' Bible Dictionary.) They offered myrrh which is a bitter and costly perfume that was used as an antiseptic and for embalming. It is first mentioned as a principal ingredient in the holy anointing oil. ( Easton's Bible Dictionary).

What gifts should I bring? Gold can refer to works that withstand judgement...so the work I bring to Jesus, must be work that He alone accomplishes...and I am used as His hands...Frankincense is sweet perfume that could represent my prayers in the name of Jesus, and myrrh, could be the sweet perfume created when I willing submit to die to myself daily and follow Jesus.

They recognized the baby Jesus as a king or the King of Kings. It was an accepted practice in that day for visiting dignitaries to bring kings extravagant gifts, so that is what they did.

They brought expensivw and rare gifts that were representative of the most precious things available in their home countries. This showed how highly they esteemed Jesus. That, and the way they humbled themselves before Him, may show that they were placing themselves, giving their lives, in service to Him.

First and foremost, we should give our lives to Him completely. We should give Him the very best we have to give. We should use all the gifts He has given us, and everything in our power, to His glory, in His service.