JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Blessed Are the Meek

Q3. (Matthew 5:5) How does this sort of gentleness contrast with the world's ideal? How is humility important to Christlikeness?

The Gentleness expressed in Matthew 5:5 suggests humility and patience without regret or resentment. Simply put, one can see the stark contrast between that very statement and what the world's ideal is. The world suggests a terribly aggressive approach to life, where it's "dog eat dog", "kill or be killed", "every man for himself". Where as Jesus' Gentleness suggest "Let me help you with that, I would be happy to be of whatever service I can to you". Humility such as this is important because I believe it expresses the message Jesus was explaining to us in the Greatest Commandment"...Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and there is a second, a kin to this...love your neighbour as yourself."

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Matthew 5:5) How does this sort of gentleness contrast with the world's ideal? How is humility important to Christlikeness?

The world is a me first kind of place, with no compassion or caring for the welfare of others. The Christian is to be like Christ. We hold compassion for our brothers and sisters and when anyone in the body of Christ suffers so do all.

In the world people get puffed up and full of themselves. They think that it is they that do all things. There is no credit given to God. It is important for the Christian to be humble to keep in rememberance that it is the Most High God who does all things. We are not to get puffed up. All things belong to God and are from God. It is the humbleness that keeps us growing and learning, it keeps us dependent on God.

Q3. (Matthew 5:5) How does this sort of gentleness contrast with the world's ideal?

the world generally operates with a get all you can get, fill your own belly first, fend for yourself attitudes and all this

getting it doesn't matter who is in the way. The Christian is shown by the Savior that we are responsible for our

neighbor. To Christ each one of us was the weaker "other" the "friend" who had a problem. ..He laid down his life for us.

How is humility important to Christlikeness?

Though he was God's son he took on himself the mind of a servant to rescue us from sin and death. He had all the power in the universe in his hands and yet was harmless even to those who persecuted and killed him. To those who have been given much, much is expected of them Luke 12:48.

In response to this question I am reminded of Philippians 2:1-18...(lots on humility in there)...in essence, let the attitude of Christ be in you...although He was God, He did not consider Himself equal with God, but considered Himself a servant. The rest of the passage goes on to describe the attitude of humility as described by submissive servanthood and obedience to God.

In a world that promotes "me...me...me... -- to understand the essence of humility, I would offer the concept in their own language: "It's not about you. It's about Jesus Christ."

Words like humility, submission, obedience, meekness, gentleness are words that describe a "lack of strength" in the world...however, in the Kingdom of God, those very words bring courage, strength, confidence, and inheritance. The meek shall inherit the earth. Jesus said it. He meant it. We're here to represent it.

P.S. The stallion analogy painted a powerful picture...

True meekness, gentleness and humility belong to those who love God, and endure injury with patience and without resentment, because they wait on their Lord. This is in contract with a world that is out of patience and pushes to take over themselves to make their own way evolve. No one was more humble than Christ, who, as God's true Son, humbled Himself on the cross and died for our sins, when we deserved death. He did this, being perfect and Holy, so that we, His loved ones, could be saved as He buried our sins for us and freely gives us eternal life with Him. What humility! What Love! Thank you Lord. As Christians therefore, we need to always be in "forgiveness mode", even when we are accused unjustly, if we truly want to live in a Christlike manner.

True meekness, gentleness and humility belong to those who love God, and endure injury with patience and without resentment, because they wait on their Lord. This is in contract with a world that is out of patience and pushes to take over themselves to make their own way evolve. No one was more humble than Christ, who, as God's true Son, humbled Himself on the cross and died for our sins, when we deserved death. He did this, being perfect and Holy, so that we, His loved ones, could be saved as He buried our sins for us and freely gives us eternal life with Him. What humility! What Love! Thank you Lord. As Christians therefore, we need to always be in "forgiveness mode", even when we are accused unjustly, if we truly want to live in a Christlike manner.

Everything about a Jesus contrasted against the world...those who follow him should also contrast against the world.

The teachings of the world is to place ourselves first...the teaches of the Lord is to place him first. To place the Lord first requires us to be humble...someone who focuses on his or her own glory can not be humble as well.

A.) The gentleness that we as Christians are called to have is the total opposite to what the world prescribes for getting ahead. In Christ we learn that strength under-control is the mark of power. The world teaches that us that we must be assertive and aggressive to get ahead and we should get ahead "By any means possible." While Jesus lets us know that He is the only way to true moving forward and upward.

B.) Luke 9:23 says "If anyman would come after Me, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily and follow Me. If we wnat to be Christlike we must follow Jesus' example and that includes a characteristic of humility, gentleness, meekness, bearing the cross by denying the self-centerness of our flesh (my way, my wants, my likes, etc., etc., etc.

If the gentleness does not spring from union with Christ it is more like worldly condescending arrogance.

I also like the scripture in Matthew 11:29 "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls." The world is not like this. It gives no rest and a Christless society is a merciless society. The humbleness and gentleness of Christ is where we find our rest and our fellowship with Him and its where the world will find it in us.

As always I have a lot of work to do in these areas.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

The world thinks if you are meek you are weak. Jesus was meek but He certainly wasn't weak. He spoke out against injustice. Jesus wants us to be like Him, with a gentle spirit in how we deal with others but also strong enough to be able to speak out against wrong. If we think we are humble then in fact we are not. The Bible says He must increase and we must decrease. Its only when we have this relationship with Jesus that we show humility. Thank you all for your comments so far, they are very helpful.

[font=Georgia]Q3. (Matthew 5:5) How does this sort of gentleness contrast with the world's ideal? How is humility important to Christlikeness?

The world does not value those that are gentle in it, instead they believe that you have to be on top of the game, everything is about getting yours, win at all cost, no matter what and we know these are not qualities of those that show gentleness and kindness because you have to be shrewd, smart, and cunning to play in the big leagues, forsaking everything just to get that edge. Putting your family, your health, and the most precious things in life in a backseat so that you can be one of the players. We must remember that it is the "meek" not the "proud" that will inherit this earth. Those are the qualities that Christ brought forth to us, to be kind, loving, caring, gentle, patient, courageous, gentle in heart, and considerate to others. We must humble ourselves in all we do, this is the requirement of a Chrisitan because in Christ is where you find your strength.[/font]

It comes into conflict with what Christ wants us to do and what the world expects us to do. Humility is very important. Christ set the picture into motion, now it is up to us to follow. Those who trust in themselves rather than God will be left with nothing, blessing-less, while the meek, the humble, the trusters-in-God, will inherit the earth and God's blessing.

Q3. (Matthew 5:5) How does this sort of gentleness contrast with the world's ideal?

The world looks at gentleness as a form of "weakness" - "Meekness" in its truest sense is seen in a Christian as STRENGTH! Without the help of the Holy Spirit, the Christian could find themselves "weak" in character, not strong.

How is humility important to Christlikeness?

Humility is a reflection of meekness, a gentle spirit the heart is developing in a new born babe in Christ.

It is a process of growth seen - as we follow the example of our Savior. Meekness, humility, becomes obvious when we become "submissive" to the leading of the Holy Spirit. Important indeed!

Q3. (Matthew 5:5)

How does this sort of gentleness contrast with the world's ideal?

The word translated "meek" is Greek pra

Meekness is mild, unassuming and modest. To me it doesn't have anything to do with weakness, it just has to do with how humble you are in your strengths and gifts. The world wants us to shout about the success and the quantities and victories, but the modest person, the mild person is comfortable with using all the good qualities and talents that God gives and sees them as a service for God and for the Kingdom. I believe the truly meek and humble person has those goals in their hearts before they do most anything. They are Kingdom minded. Meek people are comfortable with quiet praise if offered, yet don't really need any if it is not. They are content that the Godly purpose of whatever they are called to do is accomplished. They can be gentle because they learn to trust God. They can see God accomplishing His purpose in all things, even if it may not look very promising or seem to be running very smoothly. They aren't shaken easily. That is huge amounts of strength! I'm very weak in this. I come unraveled so easily, but I'm learning to trust and though I do have good motives, I desire to see them through with more trust in God. I have good leadership that shows me it is possible to improve in this, yet are ready to admit imperfection in themselves also. What an encouragement to continue to try! I liked the comparison of what people were expecting out of the Messiah when He came and how different Jesus showed the Kingdom to be. The world is still the same seeing weak as strong and the strong as weak. We want outward shows of strength and beauty and pride in our leaders most times not even seeking what inner qualities are there. The Bible tells us when we are weak we are strong and that every victory is in Christ and I believe truly knowing that will reflect in everything we have been given the privledge to do. Humility plays into this because the humble person knows his own weaknesses and can have compassion on others also in their weaknesses. Humble people seek for understanding and wisdom, carefully discerning so as to not judge harshly and to have patience while everyone learns. Truth in love, love in truth.

Jesus taught to be greatest you need to be servant of all; the world can not accept this as it teaches power, position, independence, success meassured in wealth,all to be first at any cost .

to bear all trials and offenses with patience and humility can only be accomplished through the Holy Spirit transforming our hearts to Christs likeness for He modeled perfect meekness and humility though He was God and could have so easily have pulled rank on everyone .He lived turn the other cheek and love others as yourself,and love God and honor Him above all. there was nothing weak in Jesus sacrifice he purposefully set out to do what He came to do. when we choose to operate on the same level as our Lord it is not weakness but Gods power working in us and through us

The worldy view is first past the psot - you have to sell, promote yourself to get ahead. If you sit back you recieve nothing - the more you push the more you get.

This idea goes against what God has asked us to do - He wants us to do everything to the best of our ability but with a humble heart. To not putsh ourselves ahead of others but to do things for His glory and power.

The world’s ideal for most men and women is to push their way to the top and to make something of themselves by their own power and thoughts; in other words, to promote themselves and to be proud of their own accomplishments whatever they may be in the world. The idea of gentleness and meekness means that the godly person does just the opposite in knowing, following and obeying our Lord Jesus Christ and letting Him either exalt us in Himself or to humble us in and with His own power and might. It is to be content with where we are in the world, as Paul was as a Christian, and to let God take command of our thoughts, our place in the world and what we do in the world as believers in Him as our Leader and Guide.

The world looks for bigger things.More is never enough, always needing more than someone else.Sometimes we think we are invincible and in control of everything until God comes in and shows us a better more efficient way of life. When we practice being righteous all things fall into place and we stand in awe as to why all things work out for good.

Humility is LOVE. When we humble ourselves we go to the lowest and that is in actuality the tops. We are doing what Christ would've done.

The meekness Jesus is talking about in the Beatitudes includes humility, patience, and mildness toward those around us. Especially towards those who oppose us. Meekness also has an element of tender-heartedness to do. As a Pastor, I cannot be effective without being tender-hearted. I need a thick hide too.:-)

The world's view is that the individual should look out for the individual and take care of number one first. A common slogan today is "No Fear." I'm it, I fear nothing. Meekness as Jesus teaches is weakness. To love my neighbor as myself is weakness. To show compassion to others is stupid and weak. Showing kindess is unreasonable and asking too much. Look out for number one and the hell with everyone else. Boy, does the world have it wrong!

Humility enables us to put aside our egos. It permits God the space in our lives to work with us. To make us Christlike. God cannot work with us and develop us if we are not humble and set aside our egos. Humility implies that we don't know everything and that God has something to often us. Again, God cannot work with us if we don't permit Him to.

The meekness Jesus is talking about in the Beatitudes includes humility, patience, and mildness toward those around us. Especially towards those who oppose us. Meekness also has an element of tender-heartedness to do. As a Pastor, I cannot be effective without being tender-hearted. I need a thick hide too.:-)

The world's view is that the individual should look out for the individual and take care of number one first. A common slogan today is "No Fear." I'm it, I fear nothing. Meekness as Jesus teaches is weakness. To love my neighbor as myself is weakness. To show compassion to others is stupid and weak. Showing kindess is unreasonable and asking too much. Look out for number one and the hell with everyone else. Boy, does the world have it wrong!

Humility enables us to put aside our egos. It permits God the space in our lives to work with us. To make us Christlike. God cannot work with us and develop us if we are not humble and set aside our egos. Humility implies that we don't know everything and that God has something to often us. Again, God cannot work with us if we don't permit Him to.

Well the world of the lost are busy trying to find their own way, just like I was. They are trying to create their own environment and this is not God