JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Blessed Are the Meek

Q3. (Matthew 5:5) How does this sort of gentleness contrast with the world's ideal? How is humility important to Christlikeness?

The world does not understand meekness. Those in the world who want to make something of themselves don't value meekness. Instead they push themselves in front of others, promote themselves, and climb the ladder to success at the cost of others. Humility is important to Christlikeness because Christ our King embodies love at its highest, courage at its greatest, humbling himself to the lowest, in order to save to the uttermost those who are lost. Those who trust in themselves rather than God will be left with nothing, blessing-less, while the meek, the humble, the ones who trust in God, will inherit the earth and God's blessing.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Matthew 5:5) How does this sort of gentleness contrast with the world's ideal? How is humility important to Christlikeness?

It is a complete opposite of world thinking,the world would have you over look your neighbor when he is in need but Jesus says you must loveyour neighbor and help him even when he is n't kind to you and doesn't show you the same mercy.

Being humble is an act of love that Jesus had for all people even the one who put Him on the cross,when He said Father forgive them. Humble is being loving when it hurts not just when we feel like it. It isn't a family love either it isa out pouring of fairness and giving to all without prejudice, love your enemies what kind of humble love does it take to do that.

Maybe this story is a good example-my husband is 65 years old, and he has been sick for about three years with different ailments. On top of that, it seems that he has become child-like at times and throws temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way.

Now the point to this is, the world would have me divorce him or put him in a nursing home-abandon him. Get on with MY life. But, what would Jesus do? I stay because I love Jesus first, and I love my husband second. I am being taught patience, kindness, and humility. Put my husband before me. You just can't buy this kind of love! It's not about me. It is about God and His Glory. In my life that is what I strive for. To be fully pleasing in His sight. Even if it means endurring the ranting and raving of a sick man who doesn't always know how to behave!

The world is not kind, loving, gentle, etc. The world is just the opposite. The world says get what you want however you can-don't worry about how others feel, or how much it hurts someone else. The world says we are our own boss, and we need no one else. We are self-sufficient.

Jesus, on the other hand, was silent when the Roman soldiers were whipping Him, and slapping Him, and all the other terrible things they did to Him-He uttered not a word. He wanted people to see that, no matter what-He was doing His Father's will. It was not about Him, but rather, it was about preparing the way for sinners to come and find salvation. What He suffered, and the fact that He was silent, was part of that.

So, we represent The Lord, and as such, we should be like Him. We are trying to lead people to the same salvation that we have, and in order to do that, then we must show the same kind of compassion and love that He shows for us. Also, Jesus never took credit for the work He did. He was doing what The Father told Him to do. OBeience! Imagine that! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

We can't gladly give all the glory to God unless we put ourselves aside. The world says "me first regardless". Jesus says give the glory to God because only through Him can our lives make a difference where God has called us to stand for Him. Dealing with non-Christians, especially, we need to exhibit the tenderness that Jesus showed to people from all walks of life. Humility is the hardest thing for so many people because we were raised and live in a world that glorifies the self and the stuff we acquire. Unless we can put US aside, we cannot walk in His steps.

This sort of gentleness contrasts with the world's ideal in the way as follows. The gentleness in Matthew 5:5 is about enduring injury with patience and without resentment, about humbling ourselves; whereas the world

• 2 months later...

[font="Arial Black]I see Christ as a Spiritual Gentle Giant. Since the Holy Spirit guided him, He had the inner strength to be in the world but not of the world. He used his power wisely, showing strength when it was need and gentleness when needed.

If is seek to be Meek all I need to do is read the story of Jesus and follow the Path laid out for me.. Elvina in South Texas[/font][

In todays society we are wanters, we rarely are givers, unless around Christmas. Then everyone seems to be "in the spirit." How sad.

People for the most part think of themselves and not how little acts of kindness could make someone happy. We think what could make me happy and then we shop.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The meekness or gentleness described in this verse comes as a fruit of the Spirit. One could try to put on "meekness" but the genuine article is only in the life a Spriit filled believer. It is seen at times as a willingness to put aside ones own desires for those that would most benefit another. Instead of pushing the point one walking in meekness would be found seeking the Lord's best for any given situation. The world esteems assertiveness and forceful actions in order to "get ahead". Perhaps the meek one will not be considering the "getting ahead" as the goal rather he/she may be looking at the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Humility is important to Christlikeness because Jesus walked in the ultimate humility. An example was when, knowing that He came from God and would go to God, He washed the disciples feet. If we truly know whose we are and where we are going we to will be enabled to walk in His humility.

• 4 weeks later...

This sort of gentleness does not contrast with the world's. The world's way is to think of self and not other's. Humility is important because we are to be like Christ. We are to be gentle and slow to anger.

• 3 weeks later...

How does this sort of gentleness contrast with the world's ideal?

The world's ideal is that self assertion is good -- modern media and modern education encourage you to be pushy, aggressive and that in order to be truly happy we must maginify ourself to be big and important as possible. This is the complete opposite of meekness, which means "the reluctance to assert oneself.

How is humility important to Christlikeness?

Jesus Christ was the perfect example of true meekness and humility. Our goal as Christians is to become more like Jesus and less like the world. In order to accomplish this we must humble ouselves before the world and not be proud and haughty.

Q3. (Matthew 5:5)

How does this sort of gentleness contrast with the world's ideal?

The world thinks in terms of strength and power, of ability, self-assurance and aggressiveness. Yet what Jesus taught is entirely opposed to everything which natural man thinks.

How is humility important to Christlikeness?

Humility is a character that is produced in us by the Holy Spirit. It is the direct fruit of the Spirit. It is only when we humble ourselves, that we can confess our complete dependence on Jesus. It is this humility that teaches us that all good in our selves is by the grace of God, and it is the resignation of our will to God. God is well pleased with this state of our mind 1 Pet 3:4.

Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. 1 Peter 3:4 (NIV)

• 5 months later...

Like everything in the gospel message, the world only sees foolishness. If the Holy Spirit isn't working in your life, you aren't going to get it. The world. and conventional wisdom, value ambition, self-reliance, pride, greed, selfishness, etc, all as evidence of how they control their own lives. They think they should go out and take what they want, and invent themselves, and run their own lives, according to worldly definitions of success. The kindness, gentleness and humility modeled by Christ will lead us to seek God's will, and to put others before ourselves.

Humility is important to Christlikeness because Christ calls us to submit to doing God's will, not our own. After loving God before all others, we are called to love others as we love ourselves, to love each other as Christ loves us, and to serve each other and the people of the world who need it most. We can not love and serve in these ways by ourselves. We need God to point the way, and the Holy Spirit to give us the power and ability to do all these things.

• 4 weeks later...

Blessed are the meek, the humble, the gentle, ....

Often when one thinks of gentleness one thinks of weakness, though the term gentleness could be acceptable as a female quality, but hardly a man. In business, in the U.S. gentleness or meekness for man or female is seen as weakness. The business person is supposed to do the opposite, sell him or herself to get a head.

However the word meek comes from the Greek word praus. Praus means "pertaining to not being overly impressed by a sense of one's self-importance, gentle, humble, considerate, meek" .

It is important for Christians to be humble or meek as Christ was humble or meek if we want to be like him. He had power, power over life and death, but He humbled himself for our sakes. Jesus noted that "I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for you souls."

More important if we trust in self we will have nothing. If we are meek, we will inherit the earth!

• 2 weeks later...

Humility, meekness, gentleness completely contrasts with the world's point of view. It seems everywhere we look and all we hear on the radio is a "me me me" attitude, it's all about "me and my happiness and well-being, me first, and if i step on you in the process too bad". I think this is an attitude i see reflected in the world.

Humility is extremely important to Christlikeness, important for us as Christians because without it we are not teachable. Without humility we are unable to hear God's voice--a still small voice, if we are all about ourselves, and our own egotistical voices have the volume up high, we won't be able to hear a thing He is trying to tell us! : )

• 1 month later...

A. The world's ideal is all about the Self, as a result , the Self seeks to gratifiy the things of the flesh, seeking things of the material, which our bodies depend on, since we are physical beings. When Adam fell by being disobedient to God, he died spiritually because he chose to live for himself. As a result Adams offspring lost the connection with God's Spirit too, and the human race has been living in this selfish mode of death for years, until Jesus came on the earth 2,000 year ago, we now have a door opened up to us, we have a choice, die or live. The selfishness can still interfere when we want to serve God, sometimes our motivations are to receive a reward in heaven, that is still thinking about the Self. Still thinking "what do I get if I help you God?" Our motivation should never be "what about me?" If we want to serve God, we have to give up ourselves to Him and let His Spirit dominate over our flesh. Jesus came to restore all things new and as you can see selfish thinking belongs to the world.

In the end times God will call out a remant of Holy people, we've all been given time, time to learn and seek and receive God through His Son Jesus Christ. God is going to create a new heaven and a new earth. In this new heaven there will be no more fighting, no more crying, no more selfishness, no more evil or wickedness, only pure joy for Gods' children living in His awesome love and presence. The meek will not be living for themselves, everyone will be working together in peace and harmoney as God created it to be. Do you find yourself praying for your enemies, or people you don't like? As you pray for others, you will grow in His love and you will start noticing changes in your heart. God gives you power to be an overcomer. As an experiment, listen to what's coming out of your mouth, whatever is coming out, that's what is in our heart. Jesus's message changes and transforms our hearts. We have been given the Holy Spirit to teach us all things about Christ. The meek will hear His voice. Being meek doesn't mean being trappled on, it means to stand up and live rightly, turning away from the worlds selfish ways. Does the world forgive and show mercy to all those who have hurt us? No it shows no mercy. A meek person can stand up and speak the truth, but it must be in love. You know Jesus wasn't a push over, he over threw the money changers tables, he expressed his anger a few times, he wasn't always so gentle, he called his diciples dull, etc. As a matter of fact, he was so famous that he couldn't go into a village without people wanting something from him. God's desire is for us to receive His Spirit into our spirit, the full truth, so that we can truly be called the sons and daughters of God, fully trusting in His Son who gives life to all who wants it.

Humilty is important because,that is the heart of God, that is christlikeness, being God's heart to others. You can't serve God without being humble and you can't be humble without love. Humility is required for the job because you might have to do things that are very low in the world's estimation. I hear people justify that and say ''no God will never ask you to do anything you don't want to do." God requires more from those who have received. Love and humilty work good together, if you want to be great in the Kingdom of heaven, you must be the servant of all. Jesus came to serve,not to be served. If you think of yourself to highly like the Pharisees, you will want to be served and heap heavy things on people. Jesus got down on his knees and washed his diciples feet, he did this to show his love in the simple way, as we should be to one another, and he showed his love by going all the way, taking our sins upon himself and washing us and making us clean. Christlikeness is doing everything Jesus did.

God bless you all, love, Lory

• 3 months later...

In this world, pride is a virtue.

People want to have the highest salary, the biggest TV, the newest computer, ...

Especially males always want to have the most expensive car - because they think that that person is the best.

The more material things we have, the more pride we are.

Jesus on the other hand tells us that we have to be meek.

We can't take good care of other people if our own interest come at the first place.

Besides this, pride leads to bad behaviour - for example the fall of Satan and his angels.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The world looks at gentleness as weak but Jesus tells us it is desirable. Jesus showed his humility in many ways and we must strie to follow his example as best we can. As soon as we think we are pretty good..we are not thinking right...we must always remember that we are sinners and in need of God's guidance.

Simply put the world views meekness as a sign of weakness, but here it is described in a more positive light. Humility is important as it helps us remember that God is BIG and we are small. Our pastor did a whole sermon series on that a few years back and whenever I think about it I picture my pastor up on the platform on his knees with his face to the floor saying that this is how big we are. (smile)

• 1 month later...

The world teaches us to try to get there first, to win over others to be self centered, independent and selfish. Christ's attitude is to server others, be humble, gentle, and be beneath others.

humility equals Christ-likeness, Jesus said,

The world says be strong and tough and push to the top, win, win-win is ok as long as you win. When we win over others we are of the world, gaining a foot hold in it, gaining a foot hold in eventual death. Ego-less executives in business, does it sound possible? Yes, since we're all made righteous in Jesus' blood. Still, walking the walk is a challenge

A Meek, humble person sees himself as nothing and submits to the righteous will of God. He submits to the law of the scriptures where God's word and will is clearly revealed. The humble meek believer is led by God and seeks to have and act with Christlike quality of meekness and humility. Remaining prayerful and alert is a way to seek such a state and an impossible challenge without letting God lead us.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Matthew 5:5) How does this sort of gentleness contrast with the world's ideal? It is the complete opposite. In the World, it is true to say that blessed are the arrogant and the pushy for they will and, in practice do, inherit the World... but that is all they inherit and this World will pass away and they will find that their inheritance will crumble to dust. What Christ promises is that the meek will inherit the Earth and we are told that God will build His kingdom on Earth ("thy Kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven" we pray). This Earth, the Earth referred to in the Lords prayer, will not pass away but will endure forever and it is in that not in the World that the meek have their inheritance.

How is humility important to Christlikeness? It is a key factor. Christ was humble and we should strive to be like Him.

• 2 weeks later...

Often, the people in the world do not have compassion for others or living things. They, as Paul H. pointed out, are the pushy and arrogant, and all they will gain is this world as they live in it; not when they die. Humility is important to Christlikeness because we should be compassionate toward others as Christ is to us. We should love others as we love ourselves as taught in the Bible.