JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Hungering and Thirsting for Righteousness

Intense desire also means longing which is constant. As in just about anything concerning Christ's life and teaching, we cannot do it ourselves. Conflict arises from the world with those who, like we used to be, are 'situational Christians' or not Christians at all. The world always has it's hand on us and anything which gets in the way is discredited and discarded. A department head doens't want to hear about ethics - he wants to know what each person under his charge is doing to increase his bottom line or position of power. This runs headlong into Christ's teachings.

'What sort of righteousness' is the only sort that will do us any good: His righteousness. Ours is nothing more than tattered rags - it's the best we can do. He supplants His life and His rigtesouness for those that love him. Also, he promises an abundance beyond our comprehension: 'will be filled'. Many never comprehend the depth of that statement, there is nothing greater than being 'full'.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Matthew 5:6) How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world? What sort of righteousness is Jesus talking about, do you think? What promise are we given in this Beatitude?

Righteousness seems to be a lost character trait of the world.Righteousness is spiritual, the world does not operate in a spiritual realm.The world prioritizes on doing many things that would be considered contrary to righteouness. Those who strive for righteousness may seem to others to be striving to be of better character then they. Or they may be looked upon a striving for an ideal which cannot be achieved.

Jesus is talking about spiritual righteousness, Knowing God, being indwelt with the Holy Spirit, striving to emulate the goodness, the love, the obedience found in Jesus Christ. Through doing the will of the Father and NOT seeking or relying our own will for salvation.Only then will we be given the promise of righteousness.

The promise is we will be made righteous through the redeeming blood of Jesus Christ.

Q4. (Matthew 5:6) How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world? What sort of righteousness is Jesus talking about, do you think? What promise are we given in this Beatitude?

How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world?

Humankind, the world, is an ugly sinful place, we are all sinner, ALL among men are sinner in God's eyes. There is no measurement of sin, all sin looks the same to God, UGLY. Tattered rags! None is made more righteous through anything he can do here on earth. If one tries to 'appear' righteous among man, he is often looked upon as putting himself above or beyond others. Worldly righteousness puts us at odds before the world because there is no such thing. It doesn't exist. Righteousness can only be found through the grace of God and the forgiveness of sin through our Lord Jesus Christ.

What sort of righteousness is Jesus talking about, do you think?

Paul talk about the only true righteousness that exist. The righteousness found through grace, forgiveness of sin. The faith and righteousness found only through Christ who takes our sins as His own ,and takes them to the grave, thus reconciling us to our Father,. bringing us forth into His Kingdom .

What promise are we given in this Beatitude?

The promise is that those of us who seek and THIRST for righteousness will be filled to the brim with the promise of The Kingdom itself, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in us and working in us to the day of completed work when our Lord comes again in all His glory..Then and only then righteousness found only through Christ will be completed in us.

supporting verse for meditation:

*John 1:29 “The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.”

*Ephesians 2:13, “But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.”

*Ecclesiastes 7:20, “For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

*Romans 5:19, “For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be MADE RIGHTEOUS.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Matthew 5:6)

How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world?

An intense desire for righteousness can put you at odds with the world in that, the world is self-centred; is there for self enrichment; self progress whatever the means. Not caring for others.

What sort of righteousness is Jesus talking about, do you think?

I think Jesus is talking of following His teachings in our conducts and in relationship to others; the teachings that are centered on LOVE.

What promise are we given in this Beatitude?

In this Beatitude we are given the promise to find the righteousness and to be filled with righteousness.

• 1 month later...

<p>I wonder if many Christians define the 'world' by all that is unrighteous. I seem to see both righteousness and unrighteousness in the world. We are all part of this world and our sins (there is none righteous no not one) add to this world we challenge.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If we reach that point of spiritual poverty expoused as an earlier point of discussion, would we be so inclined to look outward to condem the 'world' or rather be <em>completely</em> focused on who we are individually and our relationship with God. Which is to say I am personally wary of my own self-righteousness.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>One dilemma is how to <em>know</em> God through his works as they exist on this world He created. Can we really, individually, decide what is righteous and not righteous simply by looking at 'the world' and making our own judgements. Even with His Word as a guide, we can only make judgements through our sinful nature. I wonder if we can be confident, since everything we see is through our own sin-shaded glasses. Certainly there are things we would all likely agree that taking other's lives, cheating, stealing, etc are unrighteous. But there are many other subtle topics that are not so obvious.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For me this is the essence an 'intense desire for righteous'. My desire is to understand that bit of God's nature which is exposed to me with this life He has given. And, to share what I can with others in the hope it will help them with a similar walk. Those who confuse or confound, or those who do not share a similar desire to know God, are the 'world' with whom I seem to be at odds.</p>

<p><span style="display: none"> </span></p>

<p>God's word promises us all that if we seek Him, that portion of His nature that He chooses will be revealed and we will we draw closer to Him. That is desire for us.</p>

<p> </p>

<div id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; top: 264px; left: -1000px"> </div>

• 1 year later...

As Christians we must be constantly striving for more.  We want to learn more to have questions answered to know why and how.  We want to know what we must do to inherit the Kingdom.  We are hungry and thirsty for the Word of God.  A lot of people in this world are satisfied and not hungering after God, which brings perfect peace. Jesus is talking about a path that is not of this world.  In order to achieve this we must walk in the Way.  If we walk with Him our quest will be answered with eternal life.  Our life is not of this world, we are just passing through.

• 1 year later...

The world mocks those who desire to do the right thing, probably because it convicts them of their own sin.  The type of righteousness that Jesus is talking about is not self-made.  It is produced by the power of the Holy Spirit in us. It is a life pleasing and acceptable to the Lord. We have to thirst for it.  This Beattitude promises that we will be filled with Christ's righteousness in exchange for our sin.  What a deal!  Lord, please help me thirst for your righteousness more!

• 1 month later...

An intense desire for righteousness can put you at odds with the world by them mocking you as they think it is impossible to achieve righteousness in this world.  Also, many are traveling the broad road that leads to destruction and they do not care to be numbered with the few for fear of being ridiculed.

Jesus is talking about the righteousness to do right in spite of everything and everyone with all your heart.

This Beatitude promises you will be filled with righteousness.

• 2 months later...

How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world? God, in His infinite wisdom, has allowed satan, (the "god of this world”), to operate in this world within the boundaries God has set for him. In this secular world satan is a major influence on the ideals, opinions, goals, hopes and views many people accept. These parameters are diametrically opposed to those of our LORD and Saviour; therefore Jesus’ believers/followers will always be in an antagonistic relationship with the existing world.

What sort of righteousness is Jesus talking about, do you think? We have no ability to achieve righteousness in and of ourselves. But Christians possess the righteousness of Christ, because “God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21). On the cross, Jesus was treated as if He were a sinner, though He was perfectly holy and pure, and we are treated as though we were righteous, though we are defiled and depraved.

What promise are we given in this Beatitude? Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, will be filled. I believe we have received this precious gift of righteousness from the God of all mercy and grace through our faith/belief in Jesus’ death and resurrection, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

• 4 weeks later...

The world in general does not care about people or the planet. Those with the money make the rules to get themselves more money. They do not really care about "the little guys". However, once you start whistle blowing and condemning the way things are, you put yourself in front of the firing squad.

Jesus was teaching that everyone is equal in the sight of God. He stressed the fact that no one was above someone else. Everyone has the exact same rights. All the rules were created for everyone equally and fairly.

Jesus tells us that if we fight for this kind of justice in the world, we will have this kind of peace personally.

• 1 month later...

The way that intense desire for righteousness can put me at odds with the world is that I keep looking to God for help instead of looking to mankind for the kind of help that I need. When you stop and thank God for your meal others look at you like you are some kind of freak. The righteousness that Jesus is talking about is one that seeking God. The promise we are given in this Beatitude is that we will be filled with righteousness.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 9:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Because you desire to walk in truth, and live by the Word, the world desires there own truth.

The righteousness of God.

That we will be blessed..Praise God!

• 10 months later...

Because the world does not seek righteousness, they want to go and do what they please, and get angry when you seek to righteousness.

Seeking to do what is right, to live right.

That if we seek righteousness with our hearts we will find it and be blessed.

• 11 months later...

To be morally correct and justifiable make a person look like a prude in this world. Jesus teaches us how be moral and how to justify. It seems that the world lives by immorality. As a believer in Christ it is up to me to live a righteousness no matter what people call me. It amazes me that some call me a prude and other ask me what the secret is. I will always tell them to follow the instructions. There are times when this happens that I do feel filled with the spirit.

• 7 months later...

Q4. (Matthew 5:6) How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world? The problem is, most of the world is not righteous and are not ashamed of their deviant ways. This makes those who seek to follow the law at odds with the majority who rejoice in cheating, deceiving and stealing from their neighbors. It is true that the righteous are often persecuted and slandered. The world exalts sinners.

What sort of righteousness is Jesus talking about, do you think?  What promise are we given in this Beatitude?  Jesus is referring to the righteous of heart and that if we seek it, we will receive it to the brim. 

• 3 months later...

Righteousness is defined by being morally good, religeous and praiseworthy. The world frowns upon this kind of lifestyle. It takes it to be an old-fashioned lifestyle. It is not the lifestyle of the Pharisees, for they looked down on humanity that was not part of them. Looking down on others is definately not part of being righteous. I guess humbleness is included in that lifestyle. The world sees this as being weak. The world wants strength and power.

I think the righteousness that Jesus was talking about, included humility and looking out for your fellow- man, not being selfish. Being just

We will be filled, we will be satisfied