JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Hungering and Thirsting for Righteousness

Q4. (Matthew 5:6) How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world? What sort of righteousness is Jesus talking about, do you think? What promise are we given in this Beatitude?

An intense desire for righteousness can put me at odds with the world in a way that makes our lives very different from the world

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Matthew 5:6) How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world? What sort of righteousness is Jesus talking about, do you think? What promise are we given in this Beatitude?

An intense desire for righteousness will put me at odds with the world as the world system does not adhere to the same philosophy for life successes as I do. My philosophy for success is based on the Word of God.

When Jesus speaks of righteousness, He speaks of a change of heart which comes with total obedience to the Word of God.

Those who hunger and thirst after righteousness will be filled. They will be filled with the presence and powerful working of God's Spirit within them.

• 4 weeks later...

1) How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world? When we walk according to the Spirit, we walk in Righteousness. When we do so in the presence of the world, or even wordly Christians, they see the wickedness in which they walk by comparison. Our righteousness brings forth condemnation in the hearts of the unbeliever and because they dont want to see their own condemnation, they sometimes act to remove us from their sight as an alternative to repentance. This persecution can be painful. However, if we perservere in obedience during this persecution even to the end of our earthly lives, we see from Christ's own persecution that many of our persecutors do repent. This is because some who are persecuting us are really testing the nature of our righteousness to see for themselves if it is worth repenting for! It is for these we perservere, and they are our great reward in heaven!

2) What sort of righteousness is Jesus talking about, do you think? Jesus is talking about His righteousness and we receive it when we are brought forth from death and become spiritually born. For Jesus commanded that everyone who raised from the dead be given something to eat (see Lazarus and the 12 yr old girl,etc). And what do God's heavenly children eat? They eat true heavenly bread and Jesus is the true heavenly bread and the bread of life (John 6). Jesus is also the Word (John 1) For this reason we eat his words which are the words of life. That is why Christians read their Bibles "from infancy" (2Ti) and, because even full grown adults must eat less they starve to death, through the remainder of their lives eternal. We read (eat) the Bible to see for ourselves that God approves of us (2Ti2:15). But first we must come out of the world (repent) and remove the dung of disbelievers (sin) of the world from our feet. For the Bible is written for believers and not disbelievers! Someone might say, but Jesus spoke harshly to the Pharisees, so the bible was written for disbelievers too. No! Jesus spoke to disbelievers harshly and it was recorded in the Bible for the benefit of believers, for it is written that "all scripture is God-breathed and profitable for....instruction.....so that THE MAN OF GOD may be fully equipped to do every good work." (2Ti 3:16) God is instructing us believers not to be hypocrites so that we can enjoy our salvation. And what do the Beatitudes say about us that shows us we have His approval? For starters, its says that the Kingdom of Heaven has been given to us! Would God give us His kingdom if He didn't approve of us? Heaven forbid! This scripture was God-breathed by the One who speaks things into existence out of nothing! So, we do have His kingdom. Let not the world tell us differently.

And after eating the encouragement of the word which brings belief, Christians wash it down by drinking His blood (which is His life, for "the life (spiritual) of a thing is in it's blood", Leviticus), which is love that drives out every particle of fear. And after being filled with this wine (Spirit), Christians do what all drunks do - together they sing to each other psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs (see Mark 14:22-26 Last Supper and Ephesians 5:19) In this way and in this order Christians assemble for holy communion until Jesus returns.

3) What promise are we given in this Beatitude? Jesus promises us that if we eat (accept) his words and drink his wine (Spirit), we will be filled. The word filled in the greek means "satisfied." The children of the Kingdom who have done and do this can testify that His righteousness truly is more satisfying than "Wonder Bread" and "Boones Farm Wine" - to the praise of His Glorious Grace!

In the beatitudes, Jesus is describing the children of the Kindom of God (Heaven), who are those who believe in Him. Righteousness is Jesus, Who is God. Thus, everything that Jesus said and did is righteousness. The children of the Kingdom have Jesus, and therefore have righteousness. However, this beatitude describes a hunger for righteousness, indicating a lack of righteousness in them. In other words, the children recognize that they themselves are not yet fully righteous. The promise of this beatitude is that they will be. In other words, Jesus promises that we will walk as He did! Jesus told Peter after the resurrection and after Peter received the Holy Spirit that when Peter was younger, he went only where he wanted to go, but when he is older (more mature in Him) someone else would dress him and lead him where he would not go, indicating that Peter would lay down his own life for the children of the Kingdom (Jn21:18,19). In Peter's second epistle (1:3), Peter wrote that we "have been given everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge Him. Jesus said eternal life is knowing God. We received the Holy Spirit when we heard the Gospel of Jesus, which is the gospel of our salvation, and received eternal life. Thus, the Holy Spirit who is our Teacher is everything we need for Godliness such that we too will walk as Jesus did. That's a promise from He who said "let there be light!"

• 2 weeks later...

God is righteous, God is righteousness. So hungering and thirsting for righteousness means that we need to hunger and thirst for God himself. Righteousness is not just something we do or some way in which we act. Righteousness is our God's attribute. Unless we know God himself, we will never know what is righteousness. Unless we know righteousness, we will never be righteous.. So knowing Jesus, is our greatest treasure. When we know Him, we shall be like Him, we shall share with His characters. In this way, we will not be a people who honor Him with lips, but far away from Him in hearts.

• 4 weeks later...

For me.. seeking after righteousnes is looking at the path Jesus laid out for us and then calming, in the presence of a loving God, live my life as closely as possible to the pattern Jesus laid out. It is not me against the world, it is me in the world but not of the world.

I believe that the resistance we meet in the world is because we set ourselves up as examples of knowing the definition of righteousness (my perception) and then make judgements.. I believe that this is what causes wars, or any disruption. Jesus walked peacefully, DEMONSTRATING the way we should live. Organized religion has misunderstood HIM.

One of my mentors is a 75 year old lady who always reflects joy, no matter what pain she is enduring. She tells us of the comfort she has, knowing that a loving God is there to hold her in the palm of His hand. She never says "You should or should not".. She just loves us.

Elvina in South Texas

• 1 month later...

I'll be honest, I like chocolate ice cream more than salad. After a few days of junk food though, I sometimes crave my veggies. I started this online bible study to keep myself from surfing celebrity gossip and snarky political blogs on my lunch hour. I hunger and thirst for hunger and thirst!!! I'm still waiting patiently and I hope faithfully for a time when I like vegetables more than ice cream on a daily basis and not just in my hour of need :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

It can put us at odds with the world because we are not seeking the world's ways. I think the righteousness that Jesus is talking about is the righteousness of spiritual blessings. These are what we are to hunger and thrist after. We are to hunger and thrist after the presence of God, The Wrd of God, the communion of God, the fellowship of the Spirit, righteousness, kingdom power, and the return of the Lord. When the hunger of believers for God and His righteousness is destroyed, we will die spiritually. That is why we have to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit's convicting work in our lives. If we earnestly seek His righteousness we will be filled.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (Matthew 5:6)

How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world?

To all of us food and water are physical necessities. To Christians righteousness is a spiritual necessity, and our Lord Jesus has promised that we will be filled with it. Unbelievers, on the other hand, hunger and thirst for happiness but they search for it in the wrong places. We rely on the Holy Spirit to fill us with this blessing.

What sort of righteousness is Jesus talking about, do you think?

Jesus is talking about His justifying righteousness which is received by faith and imputed by God, and then the righteousness we yearn; to be made like Him, and to conform to the law of God.

What promise are we given in this Beatitude?

We shall be filled with righteousness and consequently filled with joy and peace. Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, Romans 5:1 (NIV). Through the work of Christ all causes of enmity between us and God have been removed.

How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odd with the world?

To truly hunger and thirst for righteousness we must completely forsake the worlds version and ideals of self satisfaction (gratification), success and happiness. We must first seek out God and His kingdom. By doing so, you will be ridiculed and mocked by the non believers in the world.

What sort of righteouness is Jesus talking about?

The righteousness that comes from Jesus and walking in his word; the desire to do what is right without compromise.

What promise are we given in this Beatitude?

We are promised that we will receive righteousness, but we must have a true change of heart in order to receive and true desire and thirst for it.

• 4 months later...

Righteousness is Christlikeness. 1 Cor 5:21 says A man who trusts in Christ becomes the righteousness of God in Him. The world opposed Christ and so will it oppose a man who is like Christ. Hence we who are being transformed into His image will surely be at odds with the world.

- Jesus does talk about a higher life in the Spirit. He speaks about a life in Him.

- We who are hungry and thirsty for righteousness will be filled. The Spirit is the life giving water, mingled with milk and later, meat of the Word.

• 3 weeks later...

People who want to try to be right with God, and who want to keep sin out of their lives will always be at odds with most of the rest of the world. The world will tell you that sin is an outdated concept, that you can run your own life, that you can do pretty much what you want to, as long as you don't hurt anyone else, or interfere with their doing what they want to do.

The desire to be like Christ as much as possible. The removal of the curse of sin from our lives. the righteousness that will allow us to begin to experience the blessings of the Kingdom now, in this life.

Jesus promises us that if we seek righteousness through Him we will be filled with it. The Holy Spirit will fill us with the power we need to overcome sin, fill ourselves and our lives with godliness, and defeat the power of Satan.

• 4 weeks later...

An intense desire for righteousness in the sense Jesus means, can put us at odds with the world in two ways. Some within the world do not believe in righteousness. They believe something can be right for one person and wrong for another and something else can be right for someone else and not for them. There is no real standard. On the other side there are folks that are seeing righteousness in the sense of legal righteousness. Doing the law from self.

But Jesus is not talking about moral perfection, but rather a change in heart that leads us to do the right thing; to become righteous through his power.

Jesus promised that we will be filled with righteousness as long as we hunger and thirst for it. This is not from self, it is the blessing and power of God's spirit within us.

• 2 weeks later...

Often times the world will not take us seriously as Christians. They may think we are "goody goodies" and sometimes accuse us of being "self-righteous". We are surrounded by opportunities to take "the easy way out", "short cuts" and we live in a world which doesn't see a need for it's own justification. The world is in favor of "everything's okay, i'm okay your okay, let me believe in my own personal god that i make up" .

We are not made righteous of our own doing but only because we see how unrighteous we are, only by the desire to be made right do we see our need for Jesus. Only then do we experience the grace that he gave us by dying for us, justifying us. He is our redeemer, our "lawyer" who justifies us.

• 1 month later...

A. It puts us at odds because the world is at enimity with God, it wants nothing to do with God and His ways. The world's ways wants to bind and enslave you, keep you down and at the same time make you think it is good, when it really wants to steal your soul. As you follow Jesus with intense desire to do right by following God commands and ways, the world's ways will hate and despise you, will go against you everytime you want to do what is right, from little situations to big situations. This intense desire to do right is a Light to this dark world, and the darkness hates the light

B. The kind of righteosness is to keep your eyes single on God, following Jesus' commands, it's taking a stand in what God says; following the commandments, loving your neighbor as yourself. Receiving Jesus into your heart, loving your enemies, serving God in every way, saying No to our selfish ways, denying ourselves, walk in love, etc.

C. As you hunger and thirst for righteousness, God promises that we will be filled. As you hunger and thirst to follow and know God, your eyes will be completely on serving God. This hunger will lead you to asking, seeking, desiring to do what is right, and it's God's good pleasure to give the Holy Spirit to anyone who asks. You will receive His peace and joy.

God's blessings be with you. Much love, Lory

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus was our great example.

He knew the importance of getting away from the crowds and the people time apart for fellowship with our heavenly Father.

As we seek God more with a pure heart and hunger for more of Him a transformation will take place by the renewing of the Holy Spirit at work in our thoughts and in our attitudes.

It is His righteousness all He did for us and the great price He paid nothing we have done although we have that desire and longing for His righteousness in our lives to be lived out.

• 3 months later...

This world just is not righteous!

If you want justice, you have bad luck.

We just have to trust that He will do justice on the last day.

But al those injustice makes me doubt if He is real.

How can a real God allow all those bad things in this world?

Many times this makes me doubt if He really exists.

• 4 months later...

The world think they can pray without having be born-again and everybody who dies always goes to heaven. The person may not even trusted Jesus as their Savior, but they say they were good enough to go to heaven. WE who know Jesus as Savior, know that if you neaver trusted him as savior you will not get in to heaven.

• 4 weeks later...

Definition of righteousness=meeting the standards of what is right and just.So we are to try to meed these standards as illustrated by Jesus's life and teachings. The world does not always follow this same standard. Too often greed for money and power overide what is right. People ,esp. those in power, do not like to be told that what they are doing is morally wrong. This could lead to losing a job or a friend.

Jesus wants us to learn what is right and then strive to do it. Sometimes we have to go against the popular movements of the day. Jesus stood up to the powerful in his time. If we really try to find out what God wants us to do and then do it, we will be rewarded with life eternal.

An intense desire of righteousness puts us at odds with the world because the world is often times going in the opposite direction. As a society it is not always what is right that gets done, but maybe what feels good, or what will just get us by. As Christ-followers we must pursue living correct, Godly, Spirit-filled lives. Following in Jesus' footsteps and trying to block out what the world says is right and follow what we know we should do.

The promise that we are given is that if we pursue a righteous life we will be filled with the Holy Spirit and be granted our wish!

• 1 month later...

Righteousnessis like being in full accordance with what is just, honorable, pure, humble and Godly, ... things that are upright, virtuous, noble, morally right, and ethical, a life style that is in complete conformity to God's will. It is a lifestyle that Jesus approves and the Father demands.

We're promised a life of peace and fulfillment in our hearts if we life it and walk it. It is withing reach, and we need to keep reaching in this struggle with earthly desires. Thank your God for being close to my heart!

The world is far from righteous in every dimension. It worships worldly things. It is the opposite of righteous living and thinking. It is a dangerous place to be immersed in 24/7. Learning and digesting the beatitude Matt 5:6 is a reminder of how to be Blessed, how to feel the fruits of the spirit. God has made a beautiful world for righteous people to live in and worship him, and walk with him. What more can we ask for? What better thing/feeling to share with others, serving others to please our Lord, putting others needs before our own. Idealistic, yes, without the help of God we are not able to do this.We are only made righteous by the blood of Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

In the eyes of the world, righteousness is viewed as sanctimonious or holier than thou and this is seen in a negative light. What Jesus meant and what we should be striving for can be seen in His analysis of the fruits of the Spirit in Galatians 5. We should strive for what is right, for the truth and for real justice. If we desire righteousness, then Jesus promises that we will be filled with righteousness not by our own striving, but by God's grace.

• 3 weeks later...

Righteousness in this context is a kind of righteousness that deals with our hearts. This righteousness wants to put us "right" with God. It reveals our need and His holiness and our need for Him. The world says "What god?" "We each decide what is right in our own way" "There are no absolutes no one way, many roads lead to God. " In its own wisdom, apart from revelation from God , the world defines its own righteousness. This is a false righteousness because it ignores the source of rghteousness and that is Jesus, crucified for us so that we can be made right with the Father through repentance and reconcilliation because our hearts are softened toward him.

This virtue of "hungering and thirsting for righteousness is immediately rewarded because God is faithful. He fills us with His Spirit and we are suddenly far more sensitive to Christlike living. We can see how empty the world's righteousness is and understand our need to be right with God so we pursue Him as we learn more and more of Him.

• 9 months later...

Jesus taught, "Men love darkness, for their deeds are evil." Righteousness stand in stark contrast to good. People of the world want to do their own thing and resist being told how to behave. The saying today is don't shove your morality on me; that may be right for you, but not for me (due to belief in relative morality.) The other element is that our righteousness will "stand out like a sore thumb."

I think Jesus is talking about hungering and thirsting for personal righteousness- to be set free from slavery to sin and self, wanting to do what is right and good.

I think that we might also think about hungering for righteousness to be lived out in our society, which is suffering form crime and corruption and other unethical behaviors.

Jesus promises that those who seek righteousness in their lives will have their hunger met. Our desire is a condition for God's SPirit to work in our heart to produce the power for godly living.