JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Hungering and Thirsting for Righteousness

Q4. How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world. What sort of righteousness is Jesus talking about do you think? What promise are we given in this Beatitude?

Believers are NOT of this world. We must live in it, but not be of it. Hard words to live by. Being righteous is to act in an upright, moral way. Christ gives us the ways in which act. The world lives by another standard; but we should live as Christ tells us. Our standard must be higher than that of the world

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Matthew 5:6) How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world? What sort of righteousness is Jesus talking about, do you think? What promise are we given in this Beatitude?

Righteousness only puts me at odds with myself when my actions do not line up with the morals the Holy Spirit has installed within me. (John 14:17 niv He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world at large cannot receive him, because it isn't looking for him and doesn't recognize him. But you do, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.) I am at peace with the world because I first do what I am called to do. Ephesians 6 tells us to put on the full armor of God. As a Christian I take action where I can and when I have done all I can do then I stand firm in prayer.

I also like what Paul says in Galatians 6:14 As for me, God forbid that I should boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world died long ago, and the world's interest in me is also long dead. (niv)

Darrell

Q4. (Matthew 5:6)

How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world?

Those whose ideals get in the way of success are mocked. Those who refuse to compromise, even to their detriment, are scorned. But the way to heaven is not the same path as the road to worldly success. Jesus offers a blessing to those who seek righteousness with all their heart, who thirst for it. And he promises that they will be filled with it.

What sort of righteousness is Jesus talking about, do you think?

To tell the truth to seek real justice and to love all people is the sort of righteosness which Jesus is talking about and it an only come about when we draw on the strength of Jesus. We cannot do it with our own effort.

What promise are we given in this Beatitude?

"For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God." (1 Peter 3:18) Jesus promises to exchange his righteousness for ours if we only will receive it from Him.

Q4. (Matthew 5:6) How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world? What sort of righteousness is Jesus talking about, do you think? What promise are we given in this Beatitude?

Being focused on living a life of right living is in contrast to a life where the pursuit of pleasure and selfish gain is paramount. This righteousness is God's standard of conduct and does seem to allude us sometimes. But deep in every man is a place that God has marked and only a life of holiness will satisfy that. The filling that he promises is the satisfaction and rest that will come when we are enabled to live to a standard of righteousness that you and God will be happy with.

1. The world is living by the flesh and anything they want to do is considered righteous to them. Whatever makes them happy is ok. The world does not want anything to do with anything that is considered righteous.

2. I think that Jesus is referring to having a pure heart. If you are living like Christ taught us, you are living a pure life. If you follow the 10 Commandments or the Beatitudes, you are going in the right direction.

3. If you have an intense desire for righteousness, He has promised to fill you with all you ask for.

You are not doing as they are and want to do things that keep you right with God. You are more spiritual than the world by desiring The Holy Spirit to work in your life and to fellowship with you. Godly living is a requirement for righteousness. We are told( promised) that when we hunger and thirst for it, The Holy Spirit will work a convicting work and keep us close to God. If we hunger and thirst for righteousness and things of God, all worldly desires and pleasures will be replaced, keeping us spiritually sound.

The world puts the flesh first. Anything is ok if it gets you where you want to be even at the risk of causing harm to someone else. We as Christians hunger after righteousness, God's righteousness is given to us because Jesus died on the cross that we might be justified and made righteous. It is nothing that we do that makes us righteous. We are promised to be filled with righteousness. When we are born again we are made a new man, and that is when we are made righteous.

Much of the time righteous behavior conflicts with worldly behavior. You see that conflict in reading the Beatitudes and placing each of them along side worldly approaches to life. No comparision.

I think when Jesus speaks of thirsting and hungering for righteous, He is talking about the strong desire of a Christian to have a changed heart. A Godly heart that reflects the values of our Creator. We are thirsting and hungering for spiritual growth and for a changed worldview. We want an appetite for God that is stronger than any other appetites in our life. We desire to walk and live as Jesus does. We desire to be true to our God in any situation. We hunger and thirst to be overcomers of this world. We have a sense of urgency in being Christlike.

True righteousness comes through Jesus. None of us are righteous in ourselves though we hunger and thirst for it. We desire more than anything else to be like Jesus and to follow Him as true disciples. We want to be filled with everything that can help us in that. We desire to be saturated with fruit of the Spirit. We hunger for His Word and we abide with Him daily. We put into practice what we learn and we desire to do that not for anything we can get but for love of Jesus. This can be seen in compassion for others and in serving. In humbleness we learn not to judge because we truly know our own unrighteousness without Jesus and the cross. We know that we are all capable of any fall just like anybody else.

Persecution comes when we refuse to live like the world. All the sin we entered into before is old to us. The new is born and though we struggle with temptations of our flesh, we renew our minds and become of the Spirit. Most people "of the world" don't like this because our goodness begins to convict. Even without words! By actions! They can't understand it! People drop away from us and even call us names for doing right! The world is terribly corrupt and Christians live by Godly standards. Those clash all the time but we persevere because we want to live for Christ and because we love the one who saved us!

We are called to be a light in the darkness and it's not easy. It's taking up our cross just as He did. We come to know God's faithfulness though and we grow stronger and stronger. He fills us with everything to equip us to become like Him and that gives great joy to see that we can overcome and do all things through Him! With Him!

Isa 26:10

10 Let favour be shewed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness : in the land of uprightness will he deal unjustly, and will not behold the majesty of the LORD.

KJV

As Long as we are Hungering and thirsting after HIS righteousness and not our own, it is my belief that

the wicked shall never be reconciled to those desires.

dikaiosunee The Greek for righteousness

. integrity, virtue, purity of life, uprightness, correctness in thinking, feeling, and acting: Matt 3:15

(from Thayer's Greek Lexicon,)

The promise of This blessing is clear...They shall be filled.

The world is at odds with the intense desire for righteousness because it does not understand it and reacts by labeling those who do as "phobic", narrow minded and old fashioned.

I think the sort of righteousness that Jesus is talking about is heart change that brings intense hunger and thirst for a closer relationship with him.

We are promised that intense hunger and thirst for righteousness will be filled by the Holy Spirit.

Q4. (Matthew 5:6) How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world?

The worlds righteousness is enmity with the righteousness of the Lord. The world hates the things of God. Once a person has that hunger, is famished for the things of God, those things that satisfy the soul and quinches the thirst to be called a friend of God, desire to live holy lives, bringing justification to the work that was done on the cross and the promise it brings, "a new creation in God" Thirst and hunger for the things of God and we will find true happiness that the things of this world cannot fill.

RIGHTEOUSNESS is a source of God's character as we see in the "fruit of the Spirit"

Faith is a source of righteousness, without faith it is impossible to please God. Isn't this how we become filled, thirsting to please God, be in the word, filling those parts that were full of "self?"

We will be! filled.

Psa 17:15 As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

Q4. (Matthew 5:6) How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world?

I gotta say here that I love this sermon because unlike His other one that He preached in Luke, He is showing us the cost and the gain of seeking His Kingdom and His righteousness. The world doesn

The world has no desire for the righteousness of God. The world's standards are much lower at best and in actual opposition at worst.

The righteousness that Jesus is talking about is not self-righteousness, a righteousness that we can establish and achieve on our won. This type of righteousness is God's righteousness that only He can bestow on those who want a relationship with Him. It's the righteousnes that is imputed to us from Jesus Christ when we put our trust in Him for that righteousness.

This is the only way we can be truly satisfied, that our hunger can be filled and our thirst quenched. Our own efforts always leave us wanting more.

As a believer, we have a righteousness that is by faith. The very substance of faith (and the resultant righteousness) is in direct opposition to what the world considers "righteous" (self works). Self-works/performance based "faith" simply does not fill. I believe Jesus is talking about the righteousness that is by faith. The promise we are given is that those who hunger and thirst for righteousness will be filled...we will be satisfied in our hearts and full of the Spirit.

The desire to always do what is right and not to compromise on that, is not something the world understands. "Everybody is doing it" does not mean it is not wrong, but the world seems to think because it is commonly done, it is acceptable. That is just because they do not know what is right and wrong in God's eyes. His rules are the only rules.

The righteousness Jesus talks about, I think, is to be in the right relationship with God the Father. To be righteous does not mean to never sin, but it is the desire to please God and be obedient to Him. The first step to that is to accept Him as your Lord and Saviour and then start to follow Him.

This intense desire for the righteousness of God in our lives puts us at odds with the rest of the world because they think that this is all foolishness and not at all the way they desire to live—in the darkness rather then in the light. The righteousness of God from His Holy Bible is the way we are live with the help of the Holy Spirit, and this is what Jesus is speaking here. The promise for those who live such lives of seeking His righteousness is that they will be filled and blessed by such righteousness of God that they are seeking from Him—both now in this life, and even more completely in the life to come—in eternal glory with Him in heaven. Thank You, Lord, for Your tremendous promise of blessing us always when we seek Your righteousness. Help us to do so now and from now on in our lives and to stop wasting so much of our times in pursuits that don’t even count for eternity!!!!! Amen!

THERE WAS A SAYING THAT WE USED UP ON GOD'S MOUNTAIN,WHILE I WAS IN TEEN CHALLENGE...WRONG IS STILL WRONG,EVEN IF EVERYONE ELSE DOES IT, RIGHT IS STILL RIGHT EVEN IF KNOWONE ELSE DOES IT...SORRY ,I'M NOT VERY GOOD PUTTING THINGS IN MY OWN WORDS,BUT I'VE LIVED BY THAT EVER SINCE.

These are 2 very different value systems, one earthly the other spiritual. We can not serve 2 masters. If we are living for God and his righteousness there will be in direct conflict with those who are living a worldly lifestyle.

Jesus is talking about Godly righteousness, about being justified by faith.

The promise is that those who hunger and thirst for righteousness will be filled, they will receive blessings from God.

Many people in the world look at Christians as "self righteous zealots" who are intolerant of everything. While the fact is true, that we should be intolerant of sin, injustice, evil, and man's ideas of morals, we should still remember that our righteousness (not self righteousness as the Pharisees) came from God, who made Jesus who knew no sin, to become sin, that we might be made the righteousness of God in him 2 Cor 5:21).

How do we live righteously without being self righteous? We live, according to meekness, and humility in our spirit. Living and walking as a Light among men, that they might see Our Father, who is in heaven. We seek first, The Kingdom of God and all His Righteousness, and all these things will be added unto us .. Mt 6:33...Seeking first God, asking His strenght and Holy Spirit to help in our walk of righteousness in our daily lives. This brings the Peace of Christ, that passes all understanding, and that keeps and guards our hearts.

Righteousness is not a weapon or finger to point at someone's life. It is a lifestyle of redeemed living because of what Jesus Christ did on the cross, taking away our sins and giving us eternal Life. We should want our righteousness to be above the Pharisees--Luke 16:15 says this " And he said to them, You are those who justify yourselves in the sight of men, but God knows your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is detestable in the sight of God." We should live righteously, constantly seeking God's righteousness and all His Kingdom has for us in our lives, not pointing fingers, but being that "Light of Christ" to show God's love, mercy and compassion in us, in all our dealings with our brothers in Christ, and those without Christ in their lives.

Lead by example in our righteous living. In seeking God's righteousness and thirsting for His righteousness, we will be able to "show our lives as that of one Sealed in Christ and God, by His Holy Spirit of Promise."

:rolleyes: Q4. (Matthew 5:6) How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world? What sort of righteousness is Jesus talking about, do you think? What promise are we given in this Beatitude?

How can an intense desire for righteousness put you at odds with the world?

Because we desire the rightousness that comes from God, not mans rightousness. The world is against the people who do wrong instead of just the wrong thing they did. God's rightousness helps us to help the person so the wrong so they do can be made right.

The kind that makes you feel good about doing what is right. The kind that makes you want to do what is right because it pleases God.

That if we seek his rightousness we will recieve the blessings he has for us.

A.) The world as we know it today teaches that we should get ahead by any means neccessary. Which is the total opposite of what the desire for righteousness compels you to do. Righteosness is just that ...right-living; doing the right thing.

B.) Jesus is talking about doing what is right; morally and spiritually. Not what's right according to how it makes you feel.

C.) This Beatitude promises that we will find righteousness if we seek it and if we thrist after it we will be filled.

I do not know if the world has any desire for the righteousness of God. We should take the example of Jesus

Jesus is mentioned as the righteous one in Peter's sermon after Jesus' crucifixion: "You disowned the holy and just one and preferred instead that a murderer be released" (Acts 3:14).

The Beatitudes

We live them with confidence in Jesus

have you ever drug sandpaper across your skin or your finger nails down a chalkboard?when we want gods way of doing things more than anything else, we find that we have fewer friends, shorter conversations, and we get the isolation treatment whether up close or behind our backs.but god promises us that he will fill us so we will endure and be refreshed even when we can't find a friend with skin on.