JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Blessed Are the Pure in Heart

Q5. (Matthew 5:8) Why can people with a pure heart see, know, and discern God? Why can't "chronic" sinners see God? How do we obtain the pure or clean heart that Jesus describes?

-They say the eyes are the windows to the soul. They are also one of the only devices used by sinners to develop the soul. If your heart is made of a worldy interpretation, your thoughts will continuously be sinful and negative, causing you to see negatively. God is everything good, therefore negativity is never of God. Those of a pure heart develop their thoughts and heart based on the ways of goodness and positivity. Therefore, they can see God. To obtain and maintain a pure heart one must always deny thoughts, actions and environments that embrace negativity. Eventually, it will become habit or natural to think and walk in positivity.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (Matthew 5:8) Why can people with a pure heart see, know, and discern God? Why can't "chronic" sinners see God? How do we obtain the pure or clean heart that Jesus describes?

People with a pure heart can see, know, and discern God because we have been delivered from the power of sin by the grace of God and we can now seek God without the deceitfulness and we can please and glorify God and be like Him. The chronic sinner cannot see God ecause they still have sin in their life. We can have a pure heart by seeking to have the same attitude of heart that God has, a love for righteousness and a hate for sin. Our heart is in tune with the heart of God.

• 3 weeks later...

Q5. (Matthew 5:8)

Why can people with a pure heart see, know, and discern God?

With a pure heart and the help of the Holy Spirit our minds are focused on our Lord Jesus. We possess spiritual discernment. We enjoy fellowship with God, and have this intimate relationship with His Son, Jesus - so much so that he is very real to us, and is involved in all the decisions made in our daily lives

Why can't "chronic" sinners see God?

Chronic sinners have their hearts focused on this world. They have no time for spiritual things, and are spiritually blind. Natural man, the man without the Spirit, does not accept things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned (1 Cor 2:14). They do not seek God (Rom 3:11). It is only when God gives them new life within, will they get the ability to respond to God.

How do we obtain the pure or clean heart that Jesus describes?

We obtain a pure and clean heart both by the new heart received at regeneration and by the transformation of our character that follows by the work of the Holy Spirit. He made no distinction between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith Acts 15:9 (NIV).

• 4 months later...

Purity here comes from the word Katharos which means being clensed. When we are clensed then we who are sinners are washed in the blood and made right before God and we enter into the Holy of Holies. Thus we can see, know and hear.

- Sin plays its role in seperating us and bringing the veil between us and God.

- We on our own can never do a thing to set ourselves right before God. God and God alone can make us right before Himself by His true and worthy sacrifice in Jesus. This purity is bestowed upon us when we repent.

• 3 weeks later...

We can see, know, and discern God if we have given our lives to Jesus. When we are saved, we are filled with the power of ths Holy Spirit, as Jesus promised His disciples in John 14:16-18.

People who are slaves to sin are prevented from seeing the Truth. The things of God are hidden from them, as Jesus told His followers in Mark 4:11-12.

The only way to do it is to make Jesus the Lord of your life. Romans 3:10 says "There is none righteous, no, not one." John 14:6 says "No man comes unto the Father but by me (Jesus)."

The only way for fallen, depraved humanity to have a pure heart is by the grace of God through the redemptive work of Jesus. When Jesus does this work in our lives and we are saved, the Holy Spirit enters us. The Spirit gives us knowledge, power, understanding, and discernment just as Jesus gave it to the apostles.

People who are "chronic" sinners are not saved and don't have the Holy Spirit in them to help them see.

We can't do it for ourselves, no matter how badly we might want to. We must be convicted of our sinful ways and turn around, turn towards Jesus. Only the blood of the Lamb can wash the stains of sin from our hearts.

• 4 weeks later...

The pure of heart can see, know, and discern God because they live out the will of God. They know his will and are in sync with God. Otherwise, we can't see God because we are in a sense on a different road. The road isn't leading toward the way of God. Only God can purify or clean our hearts so we might see, know, and discern Him.

• 2 weeks later...

God is pure and holy and only people with a sincere desire to know and walk and obey him can see, know and discern Him. If we truly want to know Him, we will strive to keep our lives and hearts pure so that all of ourselves always belong to Him.

A chronic sinner still loves the sin more than a walk with God, so they cannot know God.

We must ask God to purify our hearts and our lives and strive to walk with Him and hear Him daily.We must set our eyes on Jesus and meditate on His words.

• 1 month later...

A.The pure hearted ones are people who have received the filling of the HolySpirit. Many people believe that's in another life time, I believe it's the reward from the results of hungering and thirsting for the things of God, that's in Christ. Without faith you can not please God. Only the HolySpirit can truly know and reveal the truth of the heart of God. Depending upon how much you are ready to give up your stuff and receive Him. Since God is love, it's Christ that God sends to the world to show and be His love. Christ the annointed One comes from the bossom of the Father, it is Christ who is seated at the right hand of the Father. Jesus was filled with God himself, Jesus says, ''those who have seen me, have seen the Father. Jesus shows us the way to the Father, you have to give up everything, including your life,if you want to see God. Christ obeys the Father and hears from the father, and shows his love to the Father as he obeys the Father's Will. Even unto death on the cross. To be pure in heart one would have to be One with the Father as Jesus prayed to the Father for for us to be, One as he is One. This is another promise and reward for those who truly surrender all of themselves until there is no more of You left, only Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. You have to ask, seek, knock and have faith. God's Word is a like a mustard seed, it grows to be huge, the faith in this seed can move mountains. The road to the Father is very hard and narrow and only a few people will find the door. You must have a pure heart in order to see God. It won't be a sefhish heart entering into that door, it will be a selfless heart filled with Christ and it's the Holy Spirit that enables it to happen.

B. Chronic sinners can't see the fullness of God, because they focus only on themselves and the world around them, they are self oriented, self minded, they worry about themselves constantly, their security, etc. They close themselves off to the blessings and everything God wants for thier lives. Chronic sinners love their lives of sin too much, rather than be blessed and know what true freedom is. God is Spirit and Truth, you can't see His Spirit, until there is faith in Christ, it is God's Truth that ultimately reveals God's Spirit to sinners. It takes faith in Christ to see God, chronic sinners won't even let Christ into their hearts. It's the Son who reveals the Father, but you have to be open, know that you are 'Poor in spirit" to even recognize what is available to all who believe.

C. The first step is to recieve the gift of salvation through Jesus. Even though we are saved by grace and not by our works, we are still required to pursue holiness in everything we do. We obtain a pure heart by trusting in the Holy Spirit, allowing God's Word to cleanse our old sinful way of thinking and being. We need to repent from our old ways of thinking and turn to this new way of being, Christ filled. The promise is that Truth sets you free. We need to be earnestly asking for God's Holy Spirit to teach us the things of Christ. Earnestly seeking Him and desiring God's will to be manifested in our lives. Ultimately to become like Christ. As we ask, so shall we receive. Most of the time, I see people asking for a new car, a new pair of shoes, a new dress, a new something. We need to be asking God to deliver us from whatever it is that keeps us in bondage and be willing in faith and obedience to give up our selfishness and wicked thoughts. Hold every thought captive to Christ, if your thoughts don't resemble Christ thoughts rebuke the thoughts out of your head. Through Jesus's blood, Christ has destroyed works of the devil. We have been given a new nature in Christ, the power of the Holy Sprit to help us be overcomers and not slaves to our sins that bind us to the ways of hell.

• 2 weeks later...

When we where without Christ as sinners as the world that doesn't know the Lord we where blinded by the enemy of our souls by our own sin and selfishness.

But when we started seeking and hungering desiring like little children hearts full of faith love and tenderness little by little God enlightens and eliminates us through His Holy Spirit and shows us what His desires we are no longer clouded and blinded our eyes are suddenly through constant fellowship and in His word staying close to His side so when the enemy does come we see him for what he is and see through the eyes of th Holy Spirit what is wrong and evil sin what we allow and welcome into our lives. Jesus gives us the strength and discernment to overcome sin evil and temptation.

• 3 months later...

If we are pure in heart, He allows us to see Him.

If we are full of sin, our eyes are blind so we can't see Him.

He can make us pure in heart if we ask Him to.

Respectfully, in my country we have a famous leprachaun who sings that if you really believe in him, you can see him.

To me, this is in the same order as an unanswered prayer - you just didn't pray hard enough.

If you can't see Him, you just didn't believe hard enough.

If we are pure in heart, He allows us to see Him.

If we are full of sin, our eyes are blind so we can't see Him.

He can make us pure in heart if we ask Him to.

Respectfully, in my country we have a famous leprachaun who sings that if you really believe in him, you can see him.

To me, this is in the same order as an unanswered prayer - you just didn't pray hard enough.

If you can't see Him, you just didn't believe hard enough.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We must put God first and make him the centre of our lives. We can onlly have a pure heart by asking forgiveness for our sins and really meaning that we are sorry and going to try to do better. We must ask the Holy Spirit to be with us and we must listen to him when we have to make decisions. If we are a "chronic sinner" we just keep on sinning and we get so used to it that we don't even realize that we are doing wrong. That is a bad situaltion and sometimes it takes a great sorrow to bring us back...that is getting into the next question.We must pray and immerse ourselves in the Word of God to obtain a pure heart. It is a lifelong process..we must keep at it.We must be single-hearted, giving our all to God.

People with a pure heart can see know and discern God because they don't have any of the distractions that sinners do. Nothing pulling them away from God, getting their attention, saying "oh let's go do this thing....God will wait."

We obtain the pure heart through study of God's word, and through prayer.

• 1 month later...

God alone cleans us. God alone is able to make us rotten sinful people pure in thoughts, words, deeds, and desires. He can help us be free from evil desires and selfish purposes. God is the only one who can cleanse us,then how does He do it? The bible tells us that all things are good for those who believe His plan is perfect [Romans 8:28] and that God has a plan to save us and make us Holy in thought and deed. Jesus said "...remain in me and I shall remain in you... and your joy will be complete" [John 15] If we remain close to him. as much as possible, he will purify us and make us more like Him. Then we will be happy and seek to do more o his will. It will become a snowball effect and get bigger and bigger. Let his show us the way!

Even a chronic sinner like me can desire to let go and find a way to let him lead us. It requires faith that his way is the only way.

In the beatitudes it seems that one's heart must come to hunger and thirst for righteousness in this world, almost like looking for a needle in a hay stack. There is so much world in the world. It is so important to see our own sin and understand it and how it displeases God. Thank God for Jesus, when we see our own sin we can examine our hearts; again we realize our worthlessness and despair. How wonderful is the Grace of God, His love, its amazing. Eventually He wins with love, and breaks our habits little by little, so gentle so loving, not a love we could know anywhere else. The kind of love we can tell others about when our hearts are ready.

We can only obtain that clean pure heart but giving it all up to Him. Total submission of self, die to self and live to Christ as Paul wrote inspired by the Holy Spirit in him. Its a marvelous light He shins into us, over powering, conquering everything for His glory. It is by understanding and submitting that He can bring us to a purer state of living; and its all pure bliss and joy, so why not go for the best?

• 2 weeks later...

Q5. (Matthew 5:8) Why can people with a pure heart see, know, and discern God? Why can't "chronic" sinners see God? Because God desires a pure heart and without it, we are cut off from God. As we sin, which we inevitably will, a barrier goes up between us and God until we bring ourselves back to God and ask for His forgiveness. The more we sin and don't ask for forgiveness, the more opaque that barrier becomes until eventually we just can't see God at all.

How do we obtain the pure or clean heart that Jesus describes? With the help of the Holy Spirit by reaching out to God for Him to cleanse and purify us. This isn't something which we can do on our own, but only through God with the help of the Holy Spirit.

People with a pure heart see, know, and discern God because we belong to God. We have fellowship with Him. The Holy Spirit lives within us because we love God and have accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior. Chronic sinners can't see God because the Holy Spirit doesn't live within them.

We can obtain the pure or clean heart that Jesus describes by genuinely loving God and the things of God and live daily for Him. Also, we must listen to hear His voice, read his word daily, talk to him, and want a sincere life with Him. Everything that isn't Christlike will prevent us from having a clean heart. Everytime we fall short or stumble, we must ask for forgiveness from God and mean it. Then, we must accept our forgiveness and go on living as we should for Him.

• 9 months later...

Purity of heart is the condition required for man to have fellowship with God. Sin disrupts our fellowship with God. Chronic sinners cannot see God because their sin is like a wall that prevents them from experiencing God's presence, both now and eternally, unless the sin is cleansed and forgiven. Only when a person is in a right relationship with God by receiving God's free gift of salvation by grace through faith in Christ and his sacrifice on the cross can he or she truly know God.

• 2 months later...

I've never seen God up close and personal. However, I've seen Him in others and sensed Him many times. I have seen through His eyes which completely changes how I feel about whoever I'm looking at. I can't do this of myself but through surrender and confession I can obtain a pure heart from Him. I've often thought I may have Paul beat on the 'chiefest of sinners' thing and when I was in such a state my cries for God were endless but it was not until I gave up and let HIM do it that I was connected.

• 7 months later...

Only as Christians do we accept our own sinful nature.Sin was brought into the world by Adam and all mankind partook in the first bite of the forbidden fruit. Making all of mankind sinful. And YES, that includes YOU and ME !! If we deny we are sinful we cannot partake in the glory of the cross because we do not understand the meaning of Jesus' suffering, nor can we understand ( if we persist that we are sinless) the suffering caused by our sin. Ff we cannot partake in the suffering we cannot partake in the glory of God. You cannot have one without the other, and be able to discern, know, God.

They are separated from God.Because they refuse to acknowledge and repent from their sins.

Only though a strong desire to walk righteously , glorify the essence of Jesus' spirit (The Holy Spirit), His character of obedience to the Father, may we even begin to know righteousness.. Blessed are those who seek righteousness for they will be filled.

• 1 month later...

Q5. (Matthew 5:8)

People with pure heart can see, know and dicern God because that is what Jesus, the Son of God, shows us. And Jesus promised this to such people.

Chronic sinners can't see Godd because their hearts are not pure; their lives are filled with compromise and conformity, **** and licentiousness and as such they don't even know God.

We obtain the pure or clean heart that Jesus descibes by seeking and following Him; by becoming His disciples.

• 1 month later...

It seems to me that those of us who sin cannot have pure hearts, can we? This seems more a goal to aspire to rather than one to achieve. Some people are certainly more pure in heart than others but all likely fall well short of Jesus' perfection.

If one really has knowledge of Jesus' teaching and wishes to be 'like' Him and know God, then there are certainly times when we will be able to reflect His purity. We seem to get snapshots of God when we demonstrate purity, but when our sin nature pokes through we must certainly be blinded.

How to achieve purity? Change something every day? Maybe two things? Read and study more? The best I seem to be able to do is read a little, pray for God's will and plead for mercy.

• 1 year later...

I believe there is good in everyone.  Sometimes it is hard to find, but it is there.  Jesus forgave.  Why can't we?  We all have sinned and fallen short.  Yet he forgives us.  Sometimes people cannot see beyond their own sins.  To be more Christ like, we must study and pray.  Above all study.  Study the master and his works.  Walk in the dust of his sandals.