JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Blessed Are the Pure in Heart

God is holy and cannot live where sin is. If we want God to reveal His way to us, then we need to actively seek purity.  Unfortunately, our corrupt nature goes contrary to a pure life.  That is why we need to seek God for purity through His Son Jesus.  Not just for salvation, but for everyday.  As we include Him in our daily thoughts and activities, He changes our inner man and transforms us more and more like Him.  It is such sweet fellowship and delight to walk this way of purity with Him. It is not burdensome or straining, but a loving relationship with the Lord. Eventually, what God is working on the inside becomes evident in the natural realm, and folks begin to see Him in us.  Unbelievers may think we are "good" people, but they do not understand the power of the cross in our lives that brings a reflection of His glory!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People with a pure heart can see, discern and know God because they are focused on him.  They live daily for God, by doing right,  In their walk they practice Jesus' words by following in his steps.  

"Chronic" sinners cannot see God because their hearts and minds are on sinful things constantly and their actions prove it.

We obtain the pure or clean heart Jesus describes by actively seeking that purity that leads to being close to God.

• 2 months later...

Why can people with a pure heart see, know, and discern God?  This is one of the most central principles of the Christian life that we see in the whole Bible. The heart of the matter is the matter of the heart. “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God”; that’s the goal of the Christian life! That’s what we are living for – that we may live our life in such a way that we see God. When we see God, that will open up all of God’s amazing blessings, not only for eternity, but also for life here and now.

Why can't "chronic" sinners see God? They have hardened their heart toward spiritual things. They focus on the here and now and give little or no thought about eternity. Many people allow this world anesthetize their morals and basic instincts through the media and the erosion of society as a whole. When God creates the New Heaven and Earth He will physically separate those who love him from those who don’t. Those who love him will no longer be in the presence of sin from that point forward.

How do we obtain the pure or clean heart that Jesus describes? We all have a flawed heart, we must reach out to God himself to purify our hearts and cleanse them. Psalm 51:10 says, “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” A pure heart is marked by transparency and an uncompromising desire to please God in all things. A pure heart is a gift from God, and it comes by a new birth, by a new creation, and by the Spirit living in us.

• 4 weeks later...

God has always stayed close to those people that He graced with a pure heart. Our history in the Bible has many detailed events of God speaking personally to a mere human.

But God will keep His distance from those that sin. There are plenty of examples of this in the Old Testament as well. He allowed invading Nations to take over and control the Israelites.

To obtain a pure heart, we need the help of both God and Jesus. We as humans would need constant forgiveness for our sins. We would need supreme guidance to not slip back into any human thoughts and feelings. These could include ****, greed and jealously.

• 1 month later...

The people with a pure heart can see, know and discern God because they are looking for Him and trying to please him. They know how to please him because they are reading the Bible and believing in it. The reason that “chronic” sinners can’t see God is because they are doing everything they can to avoid him. They are advocating again Him most of the time.

We can obtain the clean or pure heart that Jesus is describing by being in the Bible daily, and fellowshipping with people who are involved in understanding Jesus.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 9:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (Matthew 5:8) Why can people with a pure heart see, know, and discern God? Why can't "chronic" sinners see God? How do we obtain the pure or clean heart that Jesus describes?

The eyes of a pure heart are open, the scales have fallen off, they search and find.

They know not God, they have never given there hearts to him so the sin covers there eyes to blindness.

We find God in his Word we search him, learn, listen, talk to him.

• 10 months later...

Q5. (Matthew 5:8) Why can people with a pure heart see, know, and discern God? Why can't "chronic" sinners see God? How do we obtain the pure or clean heart that Jesus describes?

Because they have opened their hearts to God and accepted Jesus in to it.They know there is a God the Father and Jesus the Son.

They have been blinded by their sin.

By accepting Jesus as their savior.

• 11 months later...

I believe that those with a pure heart can see God because they know love and God is love. Those that cannot see God do not know love. Jesus said "to love God with all our heart, mind, body and soul and to love our neighbors as our self. Loving God and loving our neighbor will bring a pure heart. Knowing that love opens the door for so much more awareness in Christ.

• 7 months later...

Q5. (Matthew 5:8) Why can people with a pure heart see, know, and discern God? I can only speak for myself but I could sense and discern God's presence the minute I started seeking Him. And I sought Him when I was lost, mourning and suffering. I don't know if this has anything to do with having a pure heart but I think the Lord could see that I was good but going through some tribulations.

Why can't "chronic" sinners see God? How do we obtain the pure or clean heart that Jesus describes? Sinners are too preoccupied with the joy of their ways. I know so many people who are just fine sleeping around, getting pregnant and having abortions as a means of birth control. Not sure how these people can get a pure heart without there being some divine intervention in which an angel of the Lord showed up at their door and told them to cleanse their hearts. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/13/2008 at 2:08 PM, Patricia Borg said:

:unsure: Oh! At last i did figure ou how to write without quoting someone else. I'm new to such forums and :unsure: had to get aquainted first. Ok :rolleyes::rolleyes: I think chronic sinners cannot see God because "chronic" means that one is still into himself and not seeking God at all. Jesus is always there, but we can be blind. It's very simple to say and more tricky to act upon it, but all we need is to appreciate His presence and seek to love Him desperately. We find help along the way and a heart that's pure can be achieved even if not to the fullest like God Himself. I'm positive and I wish so many others see what I see from Jesus. His heart is tender waiting for us to look upon Him and everything will follow from then on. It wouldn't start perfectly right away; that's a lifetime journey but attainable each day. Don't leave for tomorrows. He's here, right now.

Pure means not to be mixed with something. Not to be defiled or contaminated. As we are naturally not pure, this in itself, in our own strength would never be possible.

We are tainted by sin. This makes it that as "chronic" sinners ( filled with ****, greed and other forms of unrighteousness) we cannot see God.

Christ has made it possible by taking our sin upon Him on the cross. If we come to Him and confess our sin He promises to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Then we can come before God and "feel, sense and know Him".

So the clean and pure heart, we are then able to obtain by putting ourselves before Him, by taking on His righteousness and putting off our filthy rags

• 3 years later...

Q5. (Matthew 5:8) Why can people with a pure heart see, know, and discern God?

ANSWER: Being pure in heart involves having a singleness of heart toward God. A pure heart has no hypocrisy, no guile, no hidden motives. The pure heart is marked by transparency and an uncompromising desire to please God in all things. It is more than an external purity of behavior; it is an internal purity of soul. A pure heart is a heart which is fully alive and unobstructed, with all its energies directed to a single end. The only thing that has the capacity to hold such an intense concentration of energy is God; with anything less the energies are scattered and focus is lost.

The pure in heart are happy because their sin has been pardoned, and they’ve been granted access to God the Father.  We will certainly experience a greater joy in our lives when we have confessed our sins, draw near to God, and seek to live His way rather than ours. We will "see God" in the sense that we can more clearly understand His plans for our lives and walk in a way that pleases Him and helps others.

We can’t become pure in heart on our own. It is only by an act of God’s grace, that He cleanses us and makes us pure in Jesus through the power of the Holy Spirit. The only way we can be truly pure in heart is to give our lives to Jesus and ask Him to do the cleansing work. A pure heart person is without malice, treachery, or evil intent; honest; sincere; guileless.

Why can't "chronic" sinners see God?

ANSWER: When we first become Christians, we think all our problems will disappear. Some do. And some don’t. We still find ourselves anxious, thin-skinned, lustful, self-focused, or critical. Some temptations are daily companions while others are only occasional guests.

More than the miracle of God’s power, we need the miracle of God’s presence. From there, it’s always easier to push than to pull. Maybe we should keep short accounts with God. When we know we have sinned, confess it to God immediately and seek His forgiveness. Then ask Him to help you avoid that sin in the future, and to live a life that more and more honors Christ.

More than the miracle of getting more sin out of our lives, we need the miracle of getting more of God into our lives.

How do we obtain the pure or clean heart that Jesus describes? ANSWER: Purity of the heart means being made clean through the Spirit and the Word. We must put God first in every thought, word, and action. Yes, sin will try and enter. Staying in God's Word, acknowledging our sins, repenting when we sin, and asking for His forgiveness will guide us to a pure heart. Having a pure heart starts with confession and repentance but extends to an ongoing devotion to God.

Having a pure heart often feels impossible with all the temptations and brokenness around us. This struggle can cause us to feel discouraged and unworthy or tempt us to throw in the towel and allow our hearts to become calloused and dirty. So how can we actually experience purity of heart like Jesus teaches? Purity of heart does not equal perfection, but rather can be obtained through (a). practical habits to guard your heart, (b). change your focus, (c). obey God’s voice within you. When we live this way, we can experience the blessing and peace God intends for us.