JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (Matthew 5:13) What might be the symptoms of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness"? Is it possible for a believer to detect such symptoms in himself or herself? What do secular people notice about a "de-saltified" Christian? What do other Christians notice about you? Is it possible to "resaltify" your life?

A Christians who lose their "saltyness" have become complacent, have lost the zest that Jesus gives their lives.

I feel that a believers can be shown that they are going "off-track" they don't feel like they used to, they become cold because they are moving away from the sunshine of the Lord.

I believe that secular people would call the "de-salted" hypocrits. They have lost their excitment and so also their ability to witness for Christ.

Yes you can "resaltify" your life by coming back to Jesus and it would be like a filtration of your life so that Christ's love can purify the woes of the world that come through you.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Matthew 5:13) What might be the symptoms of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness"? Is it possible for a believer to detect such symptoms in himself or herself? What do secular people notice about a "de-saltified" Christian? What do other Christians notice about you? Is it possible to "resaltify" your life?
We're under so much pressure to give up our differences and blend in with society. When we give up our standards and compromise, we lose our saltiness. When we don't stand for our values and when we mildly claim of our Christianity we act as a counterfeit of the real salt. Nobody is perfect, everyone loses their saltiness at times but the moment we realize we must act quickly and return to the Christian way of life and must be willing to bear our witness, even though it may bring persecution.

No longer salty as a Christian would be to show a bitter side of one's self. Examples could be the uplifting of others and the love of Christ shown to others would be demished, and possibly non existent.

Absolutely. the Spirit of God keeps us aware of our "fallen" states, as long as you listen.

Secular people recognize a de-satisfied Christian very easily, much more so than a fellow Chrisitan. The world is consistently looking for unhappy Chrisitians. They walk aroud with this bitterness and harshness that exsists in the world.

Other Chrisitans should notice the unhappiness in your spirit. Most are to busy worring about theirselves though. And that would be what is wrong with your "modern Christians". Christianity is so much more about the other person. When you find God is it an experience that allows you to know your taken care of, as the birds of the air or the flowers of the field. Yet Sunday after Sunday, Christians retrace the steps of lost souls seeking a new experience. The best experience is reaching out the hurting and dieing that find no comfort in the world. Sheperds...teach like Jesus!

It is most definently possible to resaltify your life. God never leaves you or forsakes you. He is a God of His word. His word says He will finish that good work He started in you. The question is do you want to be resaltified.

A Christian who has lost his/her saltiness may let things slide without speaking up, go with the flow of what is occuring around him/her rather than take the chance of making waves. I think a person can detect the symptoms in themself if they start asking questions (when was the last time I talked to another about Christ? do I look forward to going to church or do I feel it's an obligation?, etc.)

Secular people probably look for de-saltified Christians because de-saltified Christians support the secular way of thinking and justify their way of looking at the world.

Yes, it is possible to re-saltify your life - with a total commitment back to Jesus, a reassertion of the covenent made with Him, and a desire within your soul to live your life for Him. It may also mean changing a lifestyle, losing/gaining different friends, or giving up things of the world that were once important.

Symptoms-going back to the "old habit". Falling back in to sin. Sin will be obvious to all who are around.

Detect symptoms in self-oh yea. and if you listen carefully, you can hear the still small voice of The Holy Spirit telling you that you're in trouble!

What do other Christians and secular people notice about you-they see that you are a backslider! You're cussing, hanging out with the old croud, doing the same things you did before you got saved.

Resaltify your life-This is hard. I believe that, if you are a true believer, that you won't be able to resist the woooing of The Spirit. In other words, you won't be in sin long. For me-in my case-The Spirit let's me know right away when I am wrong, and when I need to repent. I am under heavy conviction. If I weren't truly a believer, then I would just shrug off the conviction. Quench The Spirit.

The Verse said, "When salt has lost it's savor, how can it be used? It is good for nothing but to be trodden under foot". So that tells me that a true believer doesn't loose the salty-but sometimes, we just need a little more salt added to make us effective or "flavorful" again. Need more salt? Read The Word. Confess your sins. Pray for disernment. Ask and you shall receive-good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over! Gloray! Now that is salt!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The symptoms of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness" are he or she lives his or her lives that are no differences with the ones of the secular people, that the way of his or her life is the same as that of the secular people; he or she is bland and in sipid, not

A Christian who have lost his "saltiness" is one who finds himself in compromising positions. He is looked upon by his non-Christian friends and aquaintences as one of them. They see the world's values as his values, there is no difference in his values than theirs. When this happens the believer will find himself not doing the thing he once did to maintain a relationship with God; his prayer life, Bible study and time with other Believers is not what it once was. He knows that he must return to his first love. It is in returning to the things he once did in building his relationship with God that he can once again "resaltify."

• 2 weeks later...

Christians in the world who look like the world have lost their salt. They are bland - not even vanilla - they are so conformed to the world, there is no visible difference. Afraid to speak up for anything that will make a difference - sitting on their hands waiting for someone else to step up. I think when we find ourselves complacent about anything that God is concerned about, we need to stop and figure out what we are doing - or not doing. The Holy Spirit will be working to convict us of our lack of saltiness - we need to listen.

Secular people look at a loss of saltiness as a sign of God's unfaithfulness - if He doesn't stick by His own, why would I think He would be concerned about me.

I suspect other Christians think I have a few too many opinions - and I voice them. I am more careful at work about HOW I say things, but usually find a way to speak my mind.

Through God's word, prayer and the indwelling of the Spirit, God can "resaltify" anyone willing to take instruction from Him and move according to His purposes.

• 3 weeks later...

1) I think the primary symptom of a saint who loses his saltiness is rebelliousness against all forms of authority, including parental, governmental, and church leadership. These saints also tend to become isolated and fragmented in their relationships.

2) Secular people notice that "de-saltified" Christians are unhappy people.

3) It is possible to be "re-salted" through submission (humility). The Lord always disciplines his children and if we endure the discipline and humble ourselves under His mighty hand and "submit to every authority instituted among men" and submit ourselves before his scriptural word, the peace of the Lord will be ours and we will partake of His loving kindness again. We must not, however, run from the Lord's discipline which is intened to save us from being condemned with the world.

• 1 month later...

I believe that when I forget that I am endowed by the light of Christ, then that light won't be noticed by those around me.. I hear so much about that "bad world out there".. God's spirit was given to this body to fulfill a purpose, my job is to listen and then do that job!!

My way is to remember that this Light of Christ is a permanent preservantive, if I choose it! If I look at the world as the enemy, how can I befriend them, how can I bring them into the light?

Yes, I lose my way...but that constant CHRIST in me reminds me that I am to bring all to the Light.. and I can do that by Loving my neighbor as myself, and that means the world, even those who terrorize us... the love of God is unconditional, not just when I am good.+

• 2 weeks later...

1.Some one that is living in a way that he/she knows is improper.

2.With out a doubt they would be able to detect de-salty symptoms.

3. they notice that you are living like they are., thus why should they change. After all, you both are doign the same things.

4. They see that you need help. You need prayers and maybe to be told about your saltiness.

5. Yes, repent. God will except you.

• 3 months later...

I think some of the symptoms would be that they have lost the will to read God's word, to pray, they would not bear fruit, their attitude would change. Yes, we can detect it by the help of the Holy Spirit. I think what the secular people notice it pretense, and they are not different from them. Other Christians notice because you loose your zeal for the Lord, you become luke warm, you start staying out of church and start making excuses. Yes, you can resaltify your life by repenting and drawing close to the Lord. Letting the Holy Spirit control you.

A Christian who has lost his saltiness would be someone who no longer has the same passion they once had for focusing on God and spreading the word to other people either Christian or Non-Christian. Yes, you can see and feel when you are not putting God first in your life. Both secular and Christian people can see the same things about a de-saltified Christian. They will both see this person falling to the ways of the "world". Yes it is possible to resaltify your life. I am living proof of that. This is the main purpose I joined this Bible Study. God brought this study to me at the exact time I needed it. The Beatitudes Is a very good place for me to begin my next journey with God. In Jesus name may God bless us.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Matthew 5:13)

What might be the symptoms of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness"?

This is a Christian who is very much like the world; they do not stand up boldly for Jesus. They are of no consequence in this world. They may even do more damage than good by proclaiming to be a Christian. Therefore the world thinks most Christians behave in this same way; not different from them, and therefore there is no incentive for them to become Christians.

Is it possible for a believer to detect such symptoms in himself or herself?

Yes; unless everything we do is always for His sake and His glory. We also have a hunger for His Word and long to be in His presence. We will know that we have backslidden.

What do secular people notice about a "de-saltified" Christian?

Secular people will find it difficult to differentiate between

• 6 months later...

What might be the symptoms of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness"?

Just like real salt in Jesus day often looked like salt but was impure becaused it was mixed with alkali salts, our "salt" can become impure especially when we accept the world's values as if they were "kingdom" values.

Is it possible for a believer to detect such symptoms in himself or herself?

When we turn toward God and ask for his repentness and guidance he can help us detect these symptoms. It may take trails to "burn out the impurities".

What do secular people notice about a "de-saltified" Christian?

Secular people will think Christians are hypocrites, if their confess by moth to be Christian but show no salt, or that there isn't anything worth learning about.

What do other Christians notice about you?

It is sad, but many of the Churches I have attended are large. There is little interaction between fellow Christians. The model seems to be one of people who preach and people who should be listening. :(

Is it possible to "resaltify" your life?

It is possible through the power of the Holy Spirit and a person who is willing to allow the Spirit to work through herself or himself.

• 2 weeks later...

symptoms of a desaltified Christian: lack of passion for Christ, lack of passion and joy in life and in sharing the gospel, a desaltified Christian is probably not reading the bible, praying or studying the word because doing this brings joy and peace and refreshing to the soul.

I think a person who is "desaltified" are probably somewhat aware of what is happening but maybe they make up their own rationale. Maybe they have become somewhat jaded and mixed with too much of the world, so they justify their lack of passion or loss of joy in the gospel, possibly passing it of for practicality or worse, reality.

Secular people may see a Christian who is just like them.

Other people in general notice a peace, a light and a joy in my life. People know that Jesus and my faith is at the center of my life. That it is what makes my life "go".

It is possible to resaltify your life but it begins with prayer and reading of God's word.

• 1 month later...

A. A symptom of a saltless Christian, would be someone who stops sharing their witness of Christ, would have no concern for the lost, closes their eyes to the hungry and poor, who live unto themselves, one who prefers to be living in total isolation from others, they don't care about anything unless they can profit from it, there is no joy or a spirit of love in their lives, the love for God and for others is not shining through them as before.

B. Is it possible for a believer to detect symptoms in himself or herself? Yes and No, it depends on how awake you are and if you are listening to the Holy Spirit. Those who are able to listen to the Holy Spirit will be able to detect it immediately and cast all negative thoughts out. The goal is to grow up in Christ, not continue to go down to the pits from where we were before. I have heard Christian people admit that they are burned out, they don't feel it anymore, they turn you away. As a result they become luke warm, they lack zeal for Christ. They willingly stop seeking God, they have this lifeless body running around, without joy, they lose thier sense of purpose, their fruit becomes chaos and busyness. You try to bring them back and minister God's word and they don't want to hear it.

Saltlessness happens if we don't spend time in God's word. We must pray without ceasing, a strong prayer life is a must! That's spending time in God's presence.

Sin can blind one from the truth, the sin of bitterness, anger, jealousy, worshipping idols, etc, this all hinders our growth and keeps us down. As we open the door and allow these lies of satan to enter into our minds and hearts, this gives satan a foothold and you will probably not be able to detect your state of mind on your own, because satan is occupying a portion of it. He feeds off your jealousy/sins, etc, a hardness of heart will develope in you because satan's aim is to steal, kills and destroy your life. Many people don't realize they have hardened hearts and are deceived by satan. Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ that we have been given the Holy Spirit, He convicts us of all sins/selfishness, we have been given free will to choose whom we will serve. Pray and help those who have fallen astray.

C. What do secular people notice about a "de-saltified" Christian? I have heard the secular world say about Christians, "if that is a Christian, I don't want to be one." Some Christians can be very judgemental lacking in love and sensitivity. They have said that Christians can be hypocrites, self righteous, etc. I have also seen people touched by Christians, people have been saved because of God's love living through them and them willingly going out of their ways sharing the gospel of Christ. I have heard and seen both sides of a Christian. There are baby Christians and Mature ones.

D. hmmmm, what do other Christians notice about me? Some notice Christ love, a living joy, a heart for the needy ,helpful, inspirational,high energy especially when I'm talking about God. Some notice a broken life and have fallen short of the glory of God. Others have noticed that I try to do right, a few ladies reject me because of it. They notice that I'm becoming stronger in my faith, more confident in Christ, noticing that I'm getting out of the boat more, taking chances, etc.

E. Is it possible to "resaltify" your life? Yes. Read God's word everyday! Hang around "salty" Christians, those who "give" out of God's abundance of (love,joy,peace,kindness,faithfulnees, givingness) they can be contagious. Have faith in what God's word says, pray for more of His light, strength and energy. It is God's good pleasure to give you His kingdom, and He will never turn you away if you ask for His Holy Spirit. Trust and believe in Christ.

God's blessings and strength be yours, Love to you all, Lory

• 2 months later...

1. Some people claim to be christians.

They believe in Him but are 'too busy' to take care for people who are hungry, thirsty, naked, etc.

They lost their saltiness.

2. I think it is difficult to detect your own faults because we tend to talk to ourselves untill everything is justified...

3. It is negative advertising.

Other people say: o, look at her, some hypocrite christian.

4. In my first church the people were 'only christians on Sunday' as we say in Dutch.

Many of them I knew from my neighbourhood and I can tell you some communists are more 'salt' than those people.

5. People can 'resaltify' by giving up an hour of watching TV and go to visit an oldpeople's shelter or something.

• 2 months later...

<!--quoteo(post=32178:date=Dec 19 2007, 09:48 PM:name=Pastor Ralph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pastor Ralph @ Dec 19 2007, 09:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=32178"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Q2. (Matthew 5:13) What might be the symptoms of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness"? Is it possible for a believer to detect such symptoms in himself or herself? What do secular people notice about a "de-saltified" Christian? What do other Christians notice about you? Is it possible to "resaltify" your life?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--fonto:Comic Sans MS--><span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#000080--><span style="color:#000080"><!--/coloro--> One symptom of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness" is that this person would not stand out in a secular crowd. There would be no distinction in attitude, word, or deed.

I don't know that the believer can actually detect it in himself. I believe it takes God to reveal this.

I believe the Holy Spirit will convict the believer once the believer humbles himself and asks Jesus to be Lord of his life. For example, praying the scriptures: "Search me Oh God, and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to life everlasting." (Psalm 139)

<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Someone who says they are Christian, but we ignores God's commandments and has only secular friend that he blends in with has "no salt" has no seasoned way to have any kingdom impact for God's glory. If we make no effort to affect the world around us, we are of no value to God's kingdom, we are worthless. Christians should not blend in with everyone else. So how do we affect others positively, just as salt brings out the flavor of some foods.

Yes, we can detect such symptoms in ourselves through the conviction of the Holy Spirit. Worldly people would call us hypocrates. One can "resaltify" his life through prayerful repentance, recognizing we are in a slump, knowing we need God or we will fall and fail in our spiritual life..

• 2 weeks later...

It is like trying to cook a delicious dish with all the best ingredients, but with a spice which has gone past its best before date. Something is missing, as time goes on the flavour that it was meant to add to the dish fades until it is not detectable. That can happen to Christians and it is obvious to all, believers and non believers alike. The crucial symptom is when we seem to be blending in with the World around us, we have lost our distinctive flavour and become a part of the general bland taste of the World. Only one cure; return to the spice jar which is God, feed on His word. go to Him in prayer and for sure the spice will be replenished.

• 2 weeks later...

A person who has lost his or her saltiness can have these symptoms: Apathetic attitude toward the difficulties others are experiencing, only sharing God's word with those who ask about Him as opposed to taking advantage of opportunities that God gives to witness to others about Him, and condoning the wrong that people do to others by remaining silent.

It is possible to detect these symptoms in ourselves because when we have the Holy Spirit living within us, He will tell us that we are not obeying God in these matters.

Secular people notice that Christians who are "de-saltified" have stopped saying things that support God and His glory, they aren't participating in many of the things of God, and they are not as loving toward the "unloving" as they once were. Yes, it's possible to "resaltify" my life. This is done by talking sincerely with God about what happened in the first place. It involves honesty on the de-saltified Christian's part and the willingness to listen to God and to be determined to walk closer to Him. Also, to ask for forgiveness.

• 1 year later...

Mediocrity and tepidity. Lukewarm, bitter, unflavorful, insipid and nausiating. Not tasteless but awful tasting.

Symptoms of a Christian who has become more alkali than saline unfortunately easily seen. Take teenagers for example - they see right through you if you do not bring them truth and good news. Such a Christian would be 'lukewarm' and rediculous (taste) with insincerity and hollow. Our testimony becomes as useless as alkali salt - better used as a grass killer.

We would stick out to a salty brother Christian as a lost soul does - visible in the full light of day. I must believe that 'resaltification' can take place - it has in my own life. All of us temporarily become a little 'lost' sometimes simply because we FORGET. Life beats us up a little and we get a seed of doubt which can cause a little movement toward the world and it's cares which can take us a long way downhill.

The Deciples of Christ had problems with this so did some that he sent out to preach. I can't find in my bible anywhere that is says any of them were 'lost' other than Judas. Certainly 'resaltification' can take place through contrition, forgiveness and restoration.