JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

One more thing His spirit just showed me. In between this last question I have just answered and the next one, I went down stairs to the kitchen to stir a pot of beans. I have been on the corporate Daniel fast with the body of Christ nationwide. I have added probably 6 teaspoons now of salt to this pot. Every time, I go to stir it, the beans has lost it's flavor, so I add more salt. I am not using ham as a flavor for two reasons. One, Daniel didn't eat pork and 2. Neither do I and 'no' meats are not a part of the Daniel fast. Beans are a vegetable and a source of protein as well as nuts.

Anyway, the beans, like we do absorb the salt and flush it out through our body system. The same as is with God's word of 'salt'. We read and we soak in His word, we fill to overflow and then share what we have learned and then go back and get filled up again. We never loose our flavor when we stay in His truth, His word.

The more hotter the beans get, the more they absorb the water and the salt in the water, the more plump they get. The same is like our spirit. The more we feed on the word, the hotter our flame builds up and the more on fire we get for wanting to spend more time with Him and with others, sharing His word and our testimony of what His word means to us.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ones that the Apostle John speaks of in Revelations as those “who have lost their first love” for the Lord Jesus, such as those who make up excuses for disobedience to the Lord, or leave the witnessing and talking about the Lord to their pastor or other preachers. Those who leave the church for one of the cults, I believe, were never really saved and were not Christians in the first place but just pretended to believe. Yes, believers can and need to detect such symptoms of lost saltiness in their own lives, as Paul tells us to examine ourselves to make sure that we’re still walking in the Christian faith (my wording because I don’t know the exact words in the passage but do know that I have the meaning of the verse); as well as to listen to the godly counsel from other Christians (and then to be sure that you check their counsel with the words of the Bible as the Bereans did in Acts). Then be sure to follow and obey all the biblical advice given to you so one doesn’t fall into sin and disobedience to the Lord. Secular people think that a “de-salted” Christian is really a hypocrite whose walk doesn’t follow his/her talk about the Gospel of the Lord Jesus. Other Christians notice the lack of interest in biblical things in one’s life, such as no time to worship the Lord on the Lord’s Day or lack of enthusiasm in worshiping and serving the Lord, etc. Yes, indeed, I believe that the Lord Jesus through the Holy Spirit will in someway get a hold of a “de-salted Christian” and turn him/her around if one really is a believer in the first place; and that believer will eventually repent of his/her sins and return to his/her first love—of Jesus Christ—once again. Some times it takes time to convict the person by the Holy Spirit and the Word of God, and many times it takes the loving discipline of the Lord God and His children who know the person; and sometimes it takes even sickness and death to be in the presence of Jesus forever, but it always eventually happens to those who really and truly have fallen in love with the Lord Jesus in their lives as it has happened to me before and He used a couple of other Christians to tell me God’s Word against what I was doing, and to repent and come back to my wonderfully precious Lord Jesus Christ. I never have ended His great love and mercy He has for me, and His grace will never end for any of us who are true believers in Him as it lasts forever and ever, even unto eternity in His presence! Amen!

If we lose our saltiness, we lose our joy, power to witness, live an overcoming life. We will not read the Word, or do much praying. It is possible to detect these symptoms in ourselves if we desire not to be this way. We will ask the Lord to search our hearts and bring conviction in areas of need. Non Christians will notice that we are no different from them, and if we speak about our faith, there will be no authority only empty words. Other Christians will notice, and encourage and pray with and for us.

1. He or she has chosen the wrong paths to follow and the wrong choices in the lives, probable but not sure, from peer presure.

2. sometimes, but most need help

3.They may come to church on Sunday but then go back to their unchristian ways for the rest of the week.

4. I am some times guilty of drifting off the right path, I am try to stay on the straight and narrow path following Jesus's teaching.

5. Yes I pray that it is!!

Q2. (Matthew 5:13) What might be the symptoms of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness"?

A symptom would be when one no longer is strong in the Lord, no longer hungers after righteousness.

Is it possible for a believer to detect such symptoms in himself or herself?

Yes it is possible, when the joy of the world starts to fill those places that were given to the Lord.

What do secular people notice about a "de-saltified" Christian? What do other Christians notice about you? The secular people will feel more comfortable being around you, as you have more in common with them, and the Christian will notice a decline in ones testimony of Christ.

Is it possible to "resaltify" your life?

Absolutely! It is the Holy Spirit that draws us back, opens our eyes that we might see, the worlds joy is empty, we are in need of that salt shaker! God is always ready to pass the salt our way, He only request we ask"please pass the salt" and He will!

Q2. (Matthew 5:13) What might be the symptoms of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness"? Is it possible for a believer to detect such symptoms in himself or herself? What do secular people notice about a "de-saltified" Christian? What do other Christians notice about you? Is it possible to "resaltify" your life?

A.) Being influenced by the world rather than influencing the world is evidence of losing our saltiness. When we find ourselves returning to more of our old ways of doing things and blending in with the world more then being peculiar to the world we know that we have/are losing our saltiness.

B.) Absolutely; as mentioned in response A.) If we're falling back into our old way of doing things before we accepted Christ as saviour and blend in with the world we can know that we have "Lost our first love."

C.) Secular people will notice that we blend in with them and that our standards aren't any different from theirs, therefore, they don't need to look to us for any enhancers. They see our values as being the same as their values.

D.) Other Christians notice that the Christian who have lost their saltiness have standards and values that have been lowered. Also, the zeal and boldness fot Christ is diminished.

E.) Fortunately, because we have a gracious and mericful heavenly Father He welcomes us back with open arms when we repent and return.

A Christian who has lost their saltiness is that of a Christian who is lukewarm. They don't have that fire and passion for Christ that we should have. They don't strive for the purposes God has givent hem but sit quietly content to just be a Christian in their minds but not their hearts. They don't stand out as being different.

The Holy Spirit is that of vonviction and he can/will reveal to people where they are at and what they can do. It is onlky through the Holy Spirit that people can recognise and accept where they are at, and have a desire to change it.

To a secular person a 'dis-satisfied' Christian appears to be no different from the world - they live in the world and are not set apart. They don't have that point of difference that we should all have.

To other Christians you are happy to go with the flow while being dis-satisfied with the things around you. You have often lowered your standards and do not look to Christ for your leading.

Through the Holy Spirit and God's grace it is definitely possibly to 'resaltify' your life - God is always at work in us and wants us to have that relationship with Him. All we have to do is ask!

Q2. (Matthew 5:13) What might be the symptoms of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness"? Is it possible for a believer to detect such symptoms in himself or herself? What do secular people notice about a "de-saltified" Christian? What do other Christians notice about you? Is it possible to "resaltify" your life?

Symptoms would include: poor witness and testimony; lack of enthusiasm for the Lord; lack of joy and delight in God and Christian fellowship; and lack of service for the Lord. Additionally, there is spiritual apathy and lack of a Christian influence on those around them. No concern for the welfare of those around them -- spiritually and physically.

Yes it is possible for Christians to detect the above symptoms. Most Christians know exactly where they are at in their Christian walk.

Most secular people notice that a "de-saltified Christian" is not walking as a Christian should and often hold them in contempt. Non-Christians often times know more about how a Christian should behave than Christians do. People notice when other people are not living up to what they profess to believe. This is a very poor testimony.

Christians see the same thing. A Christian can "re-saltify" their life by submitting to God and rededicating their life to Jesus Christ. In addition, asking for God for spiritual renewal, refresment and restoration in fellowship with God.

Someone who has lost their saltiness will overlook things that they know are sin but for the sake of keeping the peace or convenience, they let it slide. A perfect example of saltiness is a story a friend of mine just told me. Her grandson and the woman he is living with and is having a baby with were at her home over Christmas. Come bedtime she told him, "they may be living together and having a baby together but they were not sleeping together under her roof, not as long as they weren't married". For the sake of peace she could have not said anything, but as she said, "It was a sin when she was 15 years old and it was still a sin." She still has plenty of salt, God bless her.

Yes, I think a person could tell if they had become desaltified, but they would have to be listening for the holy spirit to convict them of it.

The world would notice if a desaltified Christian because they wouldn't be much of a Christian. Anything and everything might go with them.

Other Christians would notice that you weren't very close to God anymore, that you were more worldly.

The phrase that jumped out at me personally in this section was "and now stand for nothing". Most of the time I find my self working hard not to offend others or turn them off toward Christianity that I end up "standing for nothing" & being void of any saltiness at all in the world I live in. God forgive me & give me the boldness & wisdom to be salty for Him.

A symptom might be agreement with the world about sinful things not being "so bad". It's possible for a believer to detect such symptoms because the Holy Spirit ****** our consciences. Secular people don't see much difference between themselves and lukewarm Christians. I should notice that I have a desire to do GOd's will,. A life can be "resaltified" by confession and repentance.

Christians losing his or her saltiness, then there hearts isn't filled with the Love of what God has done for us!

Secular people will not notice a de-salted Christian at all because that person is just like every body else, no different

they become seperated and distanced from god, all that they was supposed to influence with the love of god, is now influencing them with the love of the world. it would seem that a believer would know immediatly,it is over time they harden their heart and cannot hear the spirit anymore. they can however, repent and come back." if my people who are called by my name would humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways then i will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=736

Symptoms might be: acceptance of the status quo; indifference in the face of disregard for the basic values of truth, justice, mercy; lack of interest in personal prayer and reading of God

What might be the symptoms of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness"?

One that maybe has a bad attitude. Doesn't really care about others.

Is it possible for a believer to detect such symptoms in himself or herself?

We should be able to tell if are not living like we shoulh by the Holy Spirits conviction in our lives.

What do secular people notice about a "de-saltified" Christian?

That we have become no differnt than them. Our personalities has changed to be more like the world, instead of being a witness for Christ.

What do other Christians notice about you?

That we have lost our joy and our peace. An attitude change.

Is it possible to "resaltify" your life?

Yes with the help of Jesus we can start being hungry for him again and doing the things that draws us closer to him. We can get back into the word and talking to him so that our peace and the joy of the Lord can return to us.

A Christian who has lost his saltiness is one who is not engaged in parayer asking God to intervene in situations. It is by anwsering such prayers that God sustains our world. Also a Christian who does not speak out on the wrongs of society is not salty because only through speaking out can society be brought in line with the will of God.

I think often we can sense that salt has dissolved from us because it is possible to see that we have not been consistent in prayer and we are silent on issues where our comments are required. These symptoms can be identified by fellow Christians and this is where encouraging one another is very important. Such encouragement can result in us being re-energized and becoming salty again through the power of the Spirit of God.

What the circular people realise about a desaltified Christian is that he will be silent about their activities and will not take steps to speak out against them. He may even join them!

The symptoms of a Christian who has lost his saltiness are: when the people whom he or she comes in contact with did not know the he or she is a Christian by his/her own profession and action. When a Christian do not profess or divulge his being a Christian, that could mean he has no intention of revealing it because he/she would like to mix with the unbelievers in doing their thing, lest they might accuse him/her of not being a true Christian. He/she also doesn't want to reveal his being a Christian because he/she could not share the gospel due to his/her "untransformed" life.

Of course it is possible to detect that a Christian has lost his/her saltiness, otherwise Paul would have not told the Corinthians to examine themselves if they are in the faith (2Co 13:5).

The Lord Jesus asked His disciples how can salt which has lost its saltiness be made salty again. In reality, it cannot be made salty again. It cannot make itself salty again, neither can it pray for God's grace and ask His forgiveness for loosing its saltiness.

But true Christians are not really like the salt in totality, for they can ask forgiveness and grace from God once they have realized that they are loosing or have lost their saltiness. In Christ letter to the 7 Churches, Christ rebukes the Laodicean Church who are lukewarm Christians and are told to repent. On the other hand, Christ also rebukes the Christians in Church in Sardis for they have in them which are ready to die, and to repent and be watchful.

Yes, it is possible for God to make salty again those Christians who have lost their saltiness. But if they have already recanted their faith in Christ, well, that's another story.

1.the symtoms of a christian who has lost his "saltiness" is to see things different from christians.he is no more the same.you will see him by his fruits.ther is no dignity.the old life comes back and the new has left him.it is not difficult for a beleiver to detect such symtoms in himself because the truth will show him the difference.as the word says if you know the truth you will be free indeed.secular people notice a "de-saltified" christian by thier walks and the attitude.other christians about me ,notice "love" .yes it is possible to "resaultify" your life by going back to the redeemer.

Q 2A What might be the symptoms of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness"?

Lost of prayer life, Talking bad about others in the church. Loss of their smile and joy.

Q 2B Is it possible for a believer to detect such symptoms in himself or herself?

Yes, some will try to make an excuse for their action, but the Holy Spirit will Let them know.

Q 2C What do secular people notice about a "de-saltified" Christian?

They notice the same change that they noticed when the person became a Christian, but

in reverse. Never forget Christians Are watched by the world.

Q 2D What do other Christians notice about you?

The true Christian will notice that the light of God has gone out in you. They will pray for you

and try to help you return to God.

Q 2E Is it possible to "re-saltify" your life?

NO, we can not, But God can if we admit our sins, repent our sins, and ask God to forgive us.

We should all praise God for His love and forgiveness.

What might be the symptoms of a christian that loses it saltiness?Is it possible for a believer to detect such syptoms in himself or herself?What do secular people notice about dessaltified christians?what do other christians notice about you?Is it possible to resalt your life?

THey dont want to serve the Lord anymore,start thinking about themselves and not about God's will for their life,just like the people of Israel and the disciples in Jesus time.Pride,idols,etc are all part of a christians losing their salitiness in the Lord and for what God has in their lives.For a believer to detect the problem when they are going through it comes later when they realize the error of their ways and want to come back to the Lord and regain their saltiness.The secular people notice it quicker when a christian is not in the Lord cause they be like oh why are you not going to church and by the actions and the way they speak.It is always possible to resalt our lives and my life as well,it is about having faith and hope in God

Some symptons of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness" might be 1) no longer standing boldly and faithfully for Christ and Christian values, 2) finding excuses for losing interest in sharing one's faith.

I believe most Christians know when their witness is being compromised. Unfortunately they may be at the point where they just don't care or they rely on past works.

What secular people notice about a "desaltified" Christian is someone who is Christian in name only, but doesn't have the walk to back them up.

It is possible to "resaltify" ones life by returning to ones first love, the Lord Jesus. Also by spending time in reading the Bible and in prayer. One should also ask for the prayers of other believers.

• 2 weeks later...

A Christian who has lost their saltiness is characterized by compromise. They give a little on their standards here and make an excuse there until finally they are living one way on Sunday morning and a different way the rest of the week. I think it is possible to detect this symptom in yourself if you are paying attention. You would begin to notice that God is slipping from first place in your life to second or third or ninety-ninth. Secular people pick up on any hint of hypocrisy in a Christian - they can definitely see if Christianity is only surface-deep in a person's daily life. Other Christians who only see you in church may not even notice, since we have all gotten so good at wearing our "church masks" around each other. They would eventually notice that your talk is not matching up with your walk. This is where accountability and close friendships with other Christians are so important! You can definitely resaltify your life by admitting your failure and your need to God and returning to Him with your whole heart.

A Christian who has lost his saltiness is one that is turning back dto the world's way and not standing up for Christ. Not letting the Holy Spirit lead you in your life, you don't pray, and don't study the Word of God the way you should. Yes, a Christian can detect unsaltiness in their life by their actions, how they walk and how they talk, and by their attitude, is it and attitude of love for people or the attitude of the world's love? The secular people see Christians as people that are different from them. They see love, peace, joy and they can't explain it. If we don't live by that love, joy, and peace to be the light they need to see, we are no different than they are and they will wonder why they should become Christians. I think other Christians see the love of God in you and how you use that love toward others. They can see the joy because you have been set free from the sins that bound you. We can be resalted by staying in the Word of God, seeking His face, praying continually in understanding and in the Holy Spirit, and letting the Holy Spirit guide you in every step you take. To keep our eyes and our mind focused on Christ only.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A Christian who has lost his saltiness may not be bold in ntheir Chrisrtian beliefs and principles. They may not work for Christ by witnessing and they lose their boldness. They simply become weak and ineffective. Some may not have good standards as they become tainted by the leaching out of the world's values in their lives.

I think a believer can detect these symptoms as long as he listens to the voice of the Holy Spirit who convicts him of these failings. They also see how other Christians live who have the full flavour of salt in their lives and this can impact on them positively.

Secular people notice that a de-salinated Christian is not always much different from them as they seem to doing the worldly things as they are.

It is possible to have a fully salted Chrisitan life by confessing the sins that caused you to lose the flavour in the first place.