JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. You Are the Light of the World

Q3. (Matthew 5:14-15) In the parable of "the light of the world," Jesus notes the stupidity of lights being hidden under bowls. Concerning what danger in the life of a Christian disciple does Jesus warn us in this parable?

The danger would be not letting our light shine for others to see so we never influence the

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Matthew 5:14-15) In the parable of "the light of the world," Jesus notes the stupidity of lights being hidden under bowls. Concerning what danger in the life of a Christian disciple does Jesus warn us in this parable?

The danger of hiding our lights is that we are like lightohouses to the lost at sea. They depend on light to find their course to safety. If we don't show our lights, we are unable to be the guiding light for the lost in a world of sin. Also, if we don't show our lights, we are responsible for the lost who perish, because God commands us to let the world see our light and not to hide it away. We will have to give an account for this.

By hiding our light we do not let the world know that we are Christians and we therefore cannot lead others to Christ.

Jesus is referring to making one's witness uncompromisingly clear. Jesus says we must let people see our good works rather than hiding them. The reason for a Christian's witness: "that [men] may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Jesus warns us against compromise and then says that when we live good lives we must let our good works shine forth without fear of being persecuted.

The way I understand this, and please correct me if I'm wrong, if I say that I am a Christian, then I am suppose to emmulate Christ. People should be able to see evidence of this. If there is no evidence, then I am sending a message that I am only pretending, or that I don't really believe. Also, some people might come to believe that one can still sin and be in Christ, which is wrong. We are setting an example. This is how one behaves if they are a believer. So if we aren't living like Christ, then we are sending the wrong message to unbelievers and those who are searching.

I used to be afraid of being called a Jesus freak. My family still thinks I'm crazy! But, I love Jesus so much, and I don't care about being called a Jesus freak! It's a badge of honor to me, and I wear it with humility and I must confess a little bit of pride! Not because I think I'm worthy or anything-'cause I'm not. But I know what Jesus went through for me and other believers, and I know that no one else would do that for me. When I look at Jesus, I know that I am loved no matter what I look like, no matter if I'm broke, or hungry, or anything-He loves Me. I am a freak! And I love it!

So, if anyone is reading this, and you are afraid to let your light shine, tell God about. Tell Him how you feel and why, and ask Him to give you courage. He will! He is our source! Don't be afraid anymore, 'cause we have an Advocate who knows what we need before we even ask or think it! Gloray!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

In the life of a Christian disciple Jesus warns us in the parable of "the light of the world

In this parable Jesus warns the disciples that their light, of the gospel, brings eternal life to all who comes to Christ when they hear the gospel and receive Jesus as Savior.

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest danger is fear to show that we are His. Regardless of where we are, there are ways to shine. We can seek God's direction in this - He will show us His way.

I worked at a large multi-national corporation and worked with will every nationality, religion and sect you can imagine. One particular man had the bad habit of using God's name in the worst possible way. Finally one day I confronted Him with the idea that if he continued to blaspheme MY GOD - I would in turn blaspheme his - I didn't actually say anything he could take offense at, but reminded him that I had a God I loved and didn't appreciate his usage of God's name. He had the intelligence to slink back to his cubicle and remain invidible for most of the week. BUT I made my point - think about what you are saying and don't assume that everyone thinks like you do.

A little sensitivity, please - but also for Christians - we can't assume - take the time to learn about people - your interest will spark theirs and maybe give you an opportunity to witness.

• 2 months later...
>

If we do not let people know we are christians, that we are ashamed. Why would we be wanted in heaven if we are not able to shine here?

• 1 month later...

I think I understand the scripture passage and the question, but like so many of these lessons, I feel stifled and unhappy with the pat, Sunday School answers that spring to my mind. What is shining my light? A "fish" pinned on my lapel or stuck to my car bumper? A Jesus T-shirt. A 4 spiritual laws pamphlet left with a skimpy tip for my waitress? I think people see these superficial signs of faith and, though they make us feel brave and exposed, discount us or pigeon hole us. The commercial trappings of Christianity simply make us "glow in the dark stickers" for Jesus. We are highlighted and apart from our generation but are not really lighting the darkness. Consistently checking our actions and decisions against the Beatitudes and the Fruits of the Spirit in an obedient and unselfconscious way should attract others to our way of life. Maybe even spending LESS time with church centered activities if that means spreading saltiness and lightness in our friends without faith. I struggle to discern church "culture" from a Christ like LIFE. More often you face persecution from your church family for getting out and spreading that light. "Why wasn't Erin at choir practice the last two weeks? . . ."

• 2 months later...

We are the light of Jesus Christ to a dark world. Christ gave us this light. It has to go forth. It will give light to all who accept it and it will draw them to the light, Jesus Christ. We must glorify God and we must bring others to glorify God. If we do not let our light shine, the world has no hope of receiving God's love or salvation. By letting our light shine, it shows the world that there is more to life, there is peace, joy, eternal life, and our countenance will reflect God's light, His love.

We should let our light shine for all to see, because this gives praise to God. Our light being our love for God and our need to let other people know about God.

Jesus is talking about letting other people see the light that shines inside you, your passion for Christ. Don't hide that you are a believer in Christ. We are to send that message to the lost. God wants us to help other people who have never accepted him or who have fallen away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Jesus warns us against not getting His message out to people who haven't heard it. We are called to be an example to the world of how things can be. Jesus was the only perfect person ever to be born, and many people the world over have not heard the good news of how their lives can be transformed through a relationship with Him. They need to be shown how the world might look if we all (or even many of us) lived to put the concerns of the Kingdom of God before all other concerns. If our lights are hidden, how will they ever learn the wonderful truth?

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus says that we are the light of the world. People don't hide lamps under bowls, nor do cities on hills conceal themselves. So likewise, we must be His witnesses.

• 1 month later...

In the parable of "the light of the world," Jesus notes the stupidity of lights being hidden under bowls. Concerning what danger in the life of a Christian disciple does Jesus warn us in this parable?

Several years ago I went on my first successful fast after many attempts. Never before was I able to do a real fast, I would break down at dinner time. Well, this time I prayed, and God gave me strength to do a 3 day fast. During the fast I heard a very sootheing voice say to me, "Lory, what are you hiding?" When I look back at that time during my life, I was a bit of a hermit, shy, stayed at home most of the time, didn't have a church family, wasn't serving anywhere, lived unto myself. All I can say is what a waste of life to hide my talents and gifts in my house, when God gives us those things to be used to bring glory to Him. God gives each of us something special to do, we will be held accountable for how faithful we used the things God has given us. Whether it be His light of love we are sharing with others, all the goodness we have receive from Him we should put on a stand and it will bring light to everyone. If you have a gift in serving, do it well, if you have a gift of singing do it well, if you have the gift of faith impart it to others, if you have the gift of love share it. Freely we have received, freely we should give. When you are using your gifts and talents people take notice of your gifts because it brings glory to God everytime you use them. If you don't let God's light shine in the dark world, everyone loses out. Through utilizing your gifts you can speak about God and what you believe about God, etc. Let God's light shine through you where ever you go, don't hide it, let God's love flow out from you don't hold back. Extend those hands to say hi, introduce yourself first, you see a need help them, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

God's blessings, Lory

In the parable of "the light of the world," Jesus notes the stupidity of lights being hidden under bowls. Concerning what danger in the life of a Christian disciple does Jesus warn us in this parable?

Several years ago I went on my first successful fast after many attempts. Never before was I able to do a real fast, I would break down at dinner time. Well, this time I prayed, and God gave me strength to do a 3 day fast. During the fast I heard a very sootheing voice say to me, "Lory, what are you hiding?" When I look back at that time during my life, I was a bit of a hermit, shy, stayed at home most of the time, didn't have a church family, wasn't serving anywhere, lived unto myself. All I can say is what a waste of life to hide my talents and gifts in my house, when God gives us those things to be used to bring glory to Him. God gives each of us something special to do, we will be held accountable for how faithful we used the things God has given us. Whether it be His light of love we are sharing with others, all the goodness we have receive from Him we should put on a stand and it will bring light to everyone. If you have a gift in serving, do it well, if you have a gift of singing do it well, if you have the gift of faith impart it to others, if you have the gift of love share it. Freely we have received, freely we should give. When you are using your gifts and talents people take notice of your gifts because it brings glory to God everytime you use them. If you don't let God's light shine in the dark world, everyone loses out. Through utilizing your gifts you can speak about God and what you believe about God, etc. Let God's light shine through you where ever you go, don't hide it, let God's love flow out from you don't hold back. Extend those hands to say hi, introduce yourself first, you see a need help them, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

God's blessings, Lory

Also, Jesus says "if the salt loses it's saltiness,how can it be made good for anything, except to be thrown and trampled by men." If we as Christians don't utilize the light and reach people and share the good news, what good are we, or what good would we be doing in this world, if we decide to stay home and do nothing it won't help advance God's Kingdom. If people don't care about the ways of God, the world will go towards more of the darkness and then men will just take over the earth and trample on whatever good there is left.

• 3 months later...

A candle needs oxygen to burn.

If you put it under a whatever, it will faint and go out.

We are figurative light, we have to be seen.

If we are shy/ ashamed/ afraid we hide.

Then our light goes out too.

If we walk away from Him with one step, it is so easy to put a second step.

Before we know, we are miles away.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That if we don't bring our light up, lift it on the lampstand no one will see it. If we don't show others we are Christians how would anyone else know>??

• 1 month later...

There is no reason to light a light if it is then hidden, unless it is suddenly revealed. Hidden under a bowl renders the light useless. Such would be the case of completely hiding that we are Christian.

St Francis Assisi said "Evangelize everyone, and as last resort, use words" How do we know what to say and when to say it? The beautiful Holy Spirit is the one to lead us, or we'll "run ahead of God."

We can not expect to have people converted from a few well chosen word, since we are not Jesus. He could do this by his all knowing presence and miracles. We have not harnessed such spiritual power, but if we let God use us in the moment, he will, to glorify Himself; in this sense we must be ready in the moment to be his light. Otherwise we are ineffective as Christians.

If we hide our faith, it is a kind of first step away from God. The heart feels the contraction when we don't witness, if we really love got. If our heart towards Him is shrinking, we can't feel His love. It hurts us even if we don't notice it.

When you heart starts to get hurt, you are not as able to fully respond to the needs of others.

If we notice this we can pray and ask God for help to bring our hearts back to Him.