JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Settling before Getting to 'Court'

Q4. (Matthew 5:25-26) What is the point of Jesus' parable of settling out of court? Who are we supposed to settle with, according to this parable? What does "settling" entail? What are the reasons that we should settle?

To settle out of court is better because if you go to court you could loose everything, make it hard on your family, and even end up in prison. The law can be very harsh. The best thing to do is be in a humble submission, a just and peaceable satisfaction of the debt. We are to suppose to settle with the one that we have the difference with and the one that has the difference with us. Settling is to bring to rest, come to agreement on the difference that is taking place. We should settle because it is keeping us from God and we are in danger of the judgment of God. A judgment that we can't escape and it would mean death.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Matthew 5:25-26) What is the point of Jesus' parable of settling out of court? Who are we supposed to settle with, according to this parable? What does "settling" entail? What are the reasons that we should settle?

Settle out of court, once the judge sentences you it will be to late. Jesus is talking about the court of our heavenly Father in comparison to an earthly one. We are to settle matters with our brothers on earth. Asking forgiveness, giving forgiveness, paying our debts, etc. We should settle for the greatest reason of all. So that we can set with our Father in Heaven and inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. For it is a place of Great Glory.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Matthew 5:25-26)

What is the point of Jesus' parable of settling out of court?

I think Jesus is saying that if we are in the wrong; be quick to admit it and make things right. Do not be in a hurry to go to court; if we do the law will find us out and it could be very costly to us in the end.

Who are we supposed to settle with, according to this parable?

We are to settle promptly with our accuser.

What does "settling" entail?

We are to admit our guilt and pay the accuser what is due to him.

What are the reasons that we should settle?

If we are unrepentant, our sins will eventually catch up with us and we will not only have to make full restitution but suffer additional penalties as well.

I think Jesus is saying that if we are in the wrong; be quick to admit it and make things right. Do not be in a hurry to go to court; if we do the law will find us out and it could be very costly to us in the end.

We are to settle promptly with our accuser.

We are to admit our guilt and pay the accuser what is due to him.

If we are unrepentant, our sins will eventually catch up with us and we will not only have to make full restitution but suffer additional penalties as well.

• 5 months later...

Settling out of court wiyh anyone who has a grievance with you is the right way to handle it. As with yhe other things we've looked at so far, it's about living in the spirit of the law, not merely according to the letter of it. The analogy is to sin in our lives in general. If you don't take care of a settlement now(or soon) with Jesus, you will have to face the judge (God) and He will decide what your penalty is to be, with no appeal possible.

Our adversary, or whomever we have a grievance with.

Making reparation and paying what you owe.

If you don't make arrangements now to pay a price you can afford, you will be forced later to pay much more than you can afford-you will have to pay in full for your transgression and pay it all yourself.

• 1 month later...

When Jesus taught this parable it was based on debt and debtors prison. Today we may not have such a thing however the lesson is still relavent. Basically, by reconciling quickly before going to the judge one can be saved by judgement. We as Christians should try to settle conflict before it gets out of hand. Otherwise it goes to the Judge.

• 1 month later...

4. (Matthew 5:25-26) What is the point of Jesus' parable of settling out of court? Who are we supposed to settle with, according to this parable? What does "settling" entail? What are the reasons that we should settle?

1.What is the point of Jesus' parable of settling out of court? Jesus point is, when God gives you a new heart, you are in the family of God now, there's something more required from us Christians, we need to pursue what is good and pleasing in God's sight. Believer's should forgive one another, settle matters quickly, don't fight, but do what is right to all people. It's better to settle out of court,where there is still time to resolve the issue.

2.Who are we supposed to settle with, according to this parable?We are suppose to settle our debts with our enemies before their anger causes more trouble and they hand you over to the judge.

3. What does "settling" entail? God wants you to get things right, whatever it is. If you owe someone money, find a way to work it off. If you offended someone, say your sorry. Settle matters quickly while you still have this person with you or it can build up and cause a lot more pain.

4. What are the reasons that we should settle? We should settle because, God says so. Give the person a chance to redeem him or herself, to repent or... It doesn't look good for Christians to fight, they show themselves to be acting like the world. We are suppose to love one another, not go around hurting each other, that's not God's way. We should be working on being unified, one body in Christ. The world will take you to court, throw you into prison and take every cent you have, until the last penny.

God bless you, love, Lory

• 3 months later...

1. Literally: if people owed money but were not able to pay, they were thrown in jail or sold as slaves.

There was no easy way to get out!

2. Figurative: we owe people forgiveness/ apologies/... This is for all other people.

3. We should take care that nobebody can say that we still owe him apologies/forgiveness/...

4. We don't want him to tell at the heavenly court to bring anything against us!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=742

The point of this parable is similar top the answers to questino three where we were told to not speak meanly of of anyone. If you owe someone something, or at least have not forgiven them of something it will get in the way of your worship of the Lord. This is another very true statement, as how can you worship the Lord when your mind is concentrating on how much you owe or someone else might owe you.

• 1 month later...

"going to court" takes time, money and energy. Why, because we couldn't resolve reasonably some dispute. It is first of all common sense to avoid legal disputes, second, it can impact our relationship with God. Os it is never worth it to go to court. If we need to give more than we want, perhaps that is OK. We can ask in our heart why did it get to this point, and try to resolve and clear the problem. Dealing with the devil and the world we should not compromise the Christian values which save us. It is not easy to live 'in the world'.

• 3 weeks later...

As so often with Christ's teachings, I think that there are 2 levels to this. The first is the practical human level. Here He is saying that it is always better to settle a wrong before it gets before a judge because once a judge has passed judgement, there is no room for negotiation, the judge will impose the full penalty required under the law, which might result in you having to pay every last cent of the amount due and, in Jesus' time (and in fact up until quite recently in many countries) thrown in debtors prison until full payment had been made. This is bad enough, but on the second level, Jesus is using this as a parable to show how important repentance is before God. Settling with God now by a true repentance avoids appearing before Him as our judge and the judgement of God will have much more serious consequences than the judgement of any human judge.

This parable means that whenever we have a problem with someone, we should talk it over with that person before it becomes so bad that neither side will want to address it. Once no one addresses it, it is a mountain that can't be easily removed. Only hurt feelings are left unresolved. Here's my question: What do you do when the other party involved won't try to see my side of the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

This goes back to reconciliation. This time it is with your adversary rather than "brother" as in verse 24. Settling matters quickly is best for all. If left up to the courts the outcome will likely be not what you want.

Who are we supposed to settle with, according to this parable? Our adversary

What does "settling" entail? What are the reasons that we should settle?

Settling here is referring to money owed.The verse refers to being thrown into prison until you have paid the last penny.

I really understand this. My husband was a contractor. The last log home he built the customer refused to pay us their final bill to the tune of 27,000. They agreed to pay just 12,000. We couldn't cover a $15,000 loss. We talked to their pastor about helping us with a resolution. They refused to talk. We had to put a lein on the house and sue them but at mediation we learned they had far more money than we realized because they had paid the entire mortgage of $250,000 which made the lien ineffective. They didn't want to pay us what they owed; they didn't want a resolution. We prayed and God said to drop it. Our Lawyer managed to get a $12,000 settlement out of them. It covered our legal fees. (You see the courts got to have their cut.) We have been paying their debt since. It's been 6 years. This debt is for sure bondage. There is much we cannot do. Home repairs, we drive old cars, no braces for kids but I have peace because I know we did not cause it. We tried resolution. We can't control what others do. We are very careful to not increase our debt load and God has faithfully provided a good job for my husband and this is a trial. We will perservere but we will not be free until the last penny is paid. God just wants to bless us and in our case if both sides followed Him we would all be blessed. But I still feel blessed because I have peace knowing we obeyed and now watching Him provide.

• 1 year later...

To borrow from a modern day 'saw': "Never let them get you into the 'system'."

I'm old enough that I can testify, concerning financial matters (which this seems to primarily involve) that it is much better to 'come to the table' before court and seek to work things out to the advantage of both parties. If it goes to court, the complaintant runs the risk of getting nothing from people like me who are hard headed. I always am willing to do what I can but I will never agree to something I cannot do.

Staying out of the 'system' keeps things between the two involved and avoids the mess of added expense which always comes with a court proceeding. If I am 'guilty' then I have divine law which demands I stand good for what I did and make restitution. If I am not guilty of any wrong doing, I still need to come to an agreement in line with God's will for me which is the most important outcome.

• 8 months later...

The point is that, we should reconcile quicly with those we wronged before the judgment day.

Those are the ones we wronged.

It entails reconcilliation.

Because if we wait for the judgment day, the judgment will be against us and we will be punished severely.

• 1 month later...

Rightly or wrongly, I would like to think that my offences are few. (with the exception of a couple fellow rush hour drivers) In that context it also occures to me that others may be offended even if I committ no wrong. (some people seem angry when I drive the speed limit) Am I to reconcile to their satisfaction?

On the other hand, my offences against God are likely more than I can number. And those offences are rightly and justly measured. Settling my accounts with Jesus, through daily prayer and reflection, might be a better goal in life. Wouldn't it be best to reconcile now with Him than take my offences before the throne at my ultimate judgement?

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What is the point of Jesus' parable of settling out of court? Who are we supposed to settle with, according to this parable? What does "settling" entail? What are the reasons that we should settle?

Jesus' point of settling out of court gives you the power of reconciliation, saving you time, frustration and embarrassment to your family.  

We are to settle with the accuser.

Settling entails talking with the accuser to come to an agreement for you to repay the debt.

We should settle or we will be sent to jail where there is no mercy.

• 3 months later...

By telling this parable, Jesus was telling us not ot wait till the end to apologize and seek forgiveness. But we need to step forward and do it right away. We need to seek forgiveness from anyone that we owe anything to. We need to be able to work out our differences no matter what they may be. We also need to keep our matters in good order with God. We never know when our last moment is going to be. We can not afford to wait till that point to try and make our hearts clear. For as we stand before God for the final judgement, we will not be able to make amends. We will be given a sentence based on what is in our hearts at that time.

• 1 month later...

Jesus point of the parable of settling out of court is to settle matters quickly. Therefore there should be no reason to carry a grudge. We are to settle with the person that we owe or the one that we have offended. Settling entails us to confront the person so that we can keep the matter out of the court system.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 9:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Things will be much worse if you wait and it goes to court.

The person we are in debt to.

To make peace, to pay our debts.

The penalties will be harsh.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 9:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Matthew 5:25-26) What is the point of Jesus' parable of settling out of court? Who are we supposed to settle with, according to this parable? What does "settling" entail? What are the reasons that we should settle? As a matter of practicality, the idea to settle is to avoid harsher penalty if the case was adjudicated in court where you might get sent to Debtor's Prison. Settling means agreeing to pay what you owe, with an arrangement that you can manage. Oftentimes, the aggrieved may agree to take less if you agree to give him what is owed. 

• 3 months later...

4.1 What is the point of Jesus' parable of settling out of court?

Jesus is saying to settle differences out of court. To reconcile quickly and not to put it off. If this is not done the punishment will be harsh. In His day the one who owed a debt was thrown into debtors prison until the debt was paid. Often family and friends would club together to get the person's debt resolved. So for many-a-year the deptor would be indebted to others until he had paid the debt in full. This would often sour relationships.

4.2 Who are we to settle with, according to this parable?

We are to settle with the ones we have wronged.

4.3 What does "settling" entail?

Settling means to reconcile and sort out and come to an agreement.

4.4 What are the reasons we should settle?

We are accountable for our actions. Justice will have to be served. If we do not settle we will have to stand before God for those sins, unless we repent.