JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Divorce and Remarriage

Warning. Believing Christians disagree on some aspects of divorce and remarriage. In addition, many have been hurt in bad marriages and divorces. Be gentle, sensitive, and loving with one another -- even if you disagree!

Q5. (Matthew 19:9) Does a person who has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness, live in a perpetual state of adultery? Should that person divorce or separate in order to get back into God's will? How can he or she get back into God's will, or is that no longer possible?

i think a person who remarried after a divorce that wasnt caused by marital unfaithfullness ,live in a perpetual state of adultery.s/he should stick on the word.s/he should seperate in order to get back into God's will.

our God is the God of second chance.s/he should call the partner and read the word of God to make things clear.the word of God says the truth shall set us free.if s/he is doing God's will,all is well.

if s/he stays on that marriage:as long as you are involved in that marriage you comit adultery.Jesus said go and sin no more.as long as you kno the truth and not repent ,a fire of hell is waiting for you.God does not understand the sin.He only understand His word.it says :the wages of sin is death.

Jesus said "not everyone can accept this word,but only those to whom it has been given......."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think a person who remarried after a divorce that wasnt caused by marital unfaithfullness ,live in a perpetual state of adultery.s/he should stick on the word.s/he should seperate in order to get back into God's will.

our God is the God of second chance.s/he should call the partner and read the word of God to make things clear.the word of God says the truth shall set us free.if s/he is doing God's will,all is well.

if s/he stays on that marriage:as long as you are involved in that marriage you comit adultery.Jesus said go and sin no more.as long as you kno the truth and not repent ,a fire of hell is waiting for you.God does not understand the sin.He only understand His word.it says :the wages of sin is death.

Jesus said "not everyone can accept this word,but only those to whom it has been given......."

Not really because that person breaks the first bond of marriage when he or she marries another, and God will forgive that person and even bless the new marriage if the couple stays true and faithful to Him and to each other. No, if that person separates and/or divorces the second mate, it will not be to get back into God’s will because, I believe that they are already in God’s will and God will bless them in their new marriage if they stay faithful to God and to each other in their marriage. One can get back into God’s will (and this is always possible no matter how far away a true believer strays as the “Prodigal son or daughter” God will go after the person to bring the “lost sheep” back to the fold!) by repenting of one’s sin and asking forgiveness for it from the person you offended and God Himself; and then submitting oneself to do the Lord’s will from then on through his/her life. This is always possible (and very much probable for the true believer) no matter what sin(s) one committed against another human being and God Himself. 1 John 1:9 makes this clear to all of us believers in the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen!

Yes, I believe that a person who has divorced for any reason other than marital unfaithfulness lives in a perpetual state of adultery. But I believe that this is only so in those people who haven't repented and asked for forgiveness. Divorce is the same as any other sin and through Jesus' blood we can be cleansed of it.

Should that person divorce or separate to get back into God's will? No- it would be committing the same sin again and God doesn't want that for any of us.

We need to repent and be forgiven and then change our ways and outlook so that the marriage we are now in becomes strong with the Lord as the head.

A person who remarries does not live in perpetual adultry and should not divorce to get back into God's will but should confess his/her sin

Q5. (Matthew 19:9) Does a person who has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness, live in a perpetual state of adultery? Should that person divorce or separate in order to get back into God's will? How can he or she get back into God's will, or is that no longer possible?

Our God is a Loving and caring Father, if we go to Him in repent with a sincere heart He will forgive.

Here it depends with the situation, if the victim did that out of ignorance and asks God for forgives, he will be forgiven and once you are forgiven and walking in obedience in God

I don't believe for the Christian there is a perpetual state of adultery and I don't believe that God would require another wrecked or severed marriage by divorce or separation, because of the potential or real harm it would do, to get back into His will. You get back into God's will by asking forgiveness of sin with a repentant heart and picking up your walk with Him where you are at.

Warning. Believing Christians disagree on some aspects of divorce and remarriage. In addition, many have been hurt in bad marriages and divorces. Be gentle, sensitive, and loving with one another -- even if you disagree!

no, if that were true, we would lose our salvation every time we sin. look, we are blow- its, and for sure god knows how we go astray everyday. here i say i love you lord, yet i put my brother down, or i'm working for god yet i'm in front of the holy spirit. seems to me when we made that vow to the lord and asked him in our hearts, we were sure we wouldn't become unfaithful to our word, yet we are everyday.you know i've been told that it takes two to build a marriage, and that is true, but if you look at it , it also takes two to destroy one. so whose to blame for the unfaithfulness? we do have a choice to expose a sin or cover a sin. and if you read the story of noah and his sons, two of them decided to act in love and with forgiveness. and that my friends will bring a sinner to their knees, in gods timing.

1. Yes, I believe that a person live in a perpetual state of adultery.

2. No, I don't think that divorcing or separating would get you back into God's will if that is the only reason that you are separating.

3. I believe that if you humbly pray and ask God to forgive you and there was no other way out of the marriage, He would forgive you.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe that if that person confesses, God forgives and the second marriage can be blessed by God

No, it is better to be separated than to get together for the sake of pleasing God. Pleasing God and doing His will should come from the heart, not because of any other motive

Confession of any sins as a result of the divorce will enable people to have a clean start with God.

• 2 weeks later...

No, once the bond is broken, the marriage irrepairable, the adultery is past.

God is merciful. With repentence, he will and does bring us all back into the fold, irregardless of our past actions and irregardless of which sin we have committed.

If we confess, God is just. I have been married two times before, and both were to men who weren't saved. I wasn't saved, either. This time, I'm saved, but my husband isn't. As I said before, I know that I'm forgiven, because I found the truth, and I confessed. Gloray to God Almighty! He is loving and caring, and He knows us better than we know ourselves! Men may judge us-point fingers! But we answer to a Risen Savior who died so that we could be free! We found the truth, and now we are free, indeed! Gloray! I gotta go shout! Bye!

Entering this lesson I admit that the thought entered my mind, interesting that this is one of the study questions.

According to Matthew, Jesus did not contradict remarriage. Hence, I would say that the person who remarries is not living in a perpetual state of adultery. Both parties to a divorce can get back into God's will by simply repenting and asking for God's pardon and living out the rest of their lives in Christ.

• 6 months later...

No, a person that has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness does not live in a perpetual state of adultery. No, that person should not divorce or separate in order to get back into God's will. I don't think God would want us to live in a situtation where our lives would be in danger or even cause death. We can get back into God's will by repenting from the heart, asking forgiveness, and seeking His direction. Yes, it is possible.

'

I have been married to the same person for 37 years. Even though I have not myself been affected by the pain of divorce that is not to say I have not been affected by the pain we give and get from each other. During this lesson I have learned more of the selfishness that has coused some of this pain on both sides. I have known in my heart that this is why we both suffer. How do we get past it? I believe that when I have truely accepted the teachings and love of God I will become less selfish.

God is always there waiting for us to commit to him. He wants to see us pray and ask forgiveness in everything we do. We must all live in love for our brothers and sisters, all over the globe. God will accept us. We must first ask and turn our hard hearts toward the love for each other that God intented for us to have from the beginning of creation.

• 2 weeks later...

Q6. The Church has always been supportive of those who are hurting or scarred. In Christ, we help people make the best of what is sometimes a difficult situation. What can you do to extend Christ's healing love to someone who is struggling in his or her marriage? What can you do to bring healing to someone who is or was divorced?

I am not qualified to counsel in such difficult situations. I would however, advise them to seek professional Christian help and would be available in any supportive role deemed necessary.

• 5 months later...

Not all people who have remarried after divorce are perpetual adulterers.

No.

We get back into God's will in this case in the same way as all the other cases. We recognize and admit our sin and ask for God's forgiveness. God's grace is given to us through Jesus, and we are forgiven. We are taught that there is only one unforgivable sin (Mark 3:28-29), and adultery isn't it.

• 2 months later...

1.(Matthew 19:9) Does a person who has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness, live in a perpetual state of adultery?God is showing that making a vow is a serious action and is not to be taken lightly. One who has been divorced will always be looking back at his past life with his or her ex spouse, saying and thinking always, good and bad things about them. There is an invisible bond that will always be in their midst, almost like a shadow. What God establishes in marriage is something sacred and chances are when you start on a renewed life with a new mate, it will be difficult to have peace because in your new relationship there will be him, her, ex wife in one's head, it's something you easily can't erase. It's almost like you will be cheating on your new wife, because you will be dividing your thoughts.

Jesus came to restore Truth, to help us turn back to God. He showed that God is real and very much alive. All the 10 commandments are the rudimentery lessons of obedience, if we can't be trusted in the rudimentery commands of God, how will He trust us with heavenly things and power. It is God's good pleasure to bless HIs children. Jesus shows us the necessary steps to get right with God, repentance, turn away from the past way of living and thinking, and have obedience by doing what needs to be done.

The Bible reproves, guides and help us to see our sinful nature. When will we stop sinning and turn away from those things that are displeasing to God? We need to hear and do what Jesus says, allow Christ to dwell in our hearts.

2.Should that person divorce or separate in order to get back into God's will? No, I believe this lesson on adultery is important to realize that we are in need of a change of heart, life can't go on in this direction of living only for self, my way, what about me. We are to start living the way God intended from the beginning. God loves to bless His children. I believe one should realize that through our own selfish choices we bring suffering and disorder upon ourselves. God understands our pains, also the generational curses brought down from our parents, due to sin/selfish choices, etc. God is merciful, that's why He sent Jesus to lead us back to the truth. We have a chance friends, isn't that great! God is so good!!!!Amen!.

3.How can he or she get back into God's will, or is that no longer possible?As we receive Jesus into our hearts and believe on him, through His blood we are redeemed and forgiven.. Once we receive Jesus into our hearts, the Holy Spirit will come live in our hearts and take up residence in us, and will teach us all things about Christ. We will want to honor God in all our choices.

God's blessings, Love, Lory

• 10 months later...

<b>Warning</b>. Believing Christians disagree on some aspects of divorce and remarriage. In addition, many have been hurt in bad marriages and divorces. Be gentle, sensitive, and loving with one another -- even if you disagree!

This question shows the beauty and loving concern of Dr Ralph who has created this web site project years ago. While this subject might bee controversial, there are God's individual men and women in individual marriage cases that are impacted. each case is different and unique due to the walk of each person with God.

When we walk with God we put ourselves last, so it would seem impossible that any Christian divorce could occur. Yet there are so many.

Christian counseling should be annual or every x months if there are any conflicts. So we first handle the case of avoidance, by proactive counseling and retreats and family vacations.

• 3 weeks later...

<b>Warning</b>. Believing Christians disagree on some aspects of divorce and remarriage. In addition, many have been hurt in bad marriages and divorces. Be gentle, sensitive, and loving with one another -- even if you disagree!

These are very hard questions to answer because they affect us directly "where we live." Therefore, we must go back to Matt. 19: 4-12 and ask God to show what He wants us to do if we are ever faced with this situation. For those who have been hurt in bad marriages and are still hurting, some people choose to live separate lives without divorce because of what Jesus has said here. It's not an ideal situation, but it happens.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny. Most people I know who have gone through divorce and claim Christ have said to me or have told me they told themselves, "God wouldn't want me to be this unhappy". In the midst of their marriage breakdown it is easy to believe a lie like this. Jesus said that to remarry is adultery. So It is against God's will. But I have known people who come to a relationship with Jesus after the fact and have already remarried. A second divorce is not in order I don't think Jesus is saying.

One of my closest friends was married, had a daughter, and divorced for reasons other than his marital unfaithfulness. She was a believer but not a student of the word and living a very worldly life. She met and married her 2nd husband after studying this scripture and having 2 more children. She was convicted of her mistake but there's no going back. The only thing to do is confess and be resolved to teach others from ones' own mistakes.

Getting back into God's will is always possible. It starts with conviction and goes to confession. This means dying to our wants and totally submitting to God's. This requires a humble, broken contrite heart. It is in this state the Holy Spirit can breath new life into a situation.

• 1 year later...

NO! My first marriage dissolved because of my unfaithfulness. I was not yet a Christian. I was caught up in the 1960's "sex, drugs and rock and roll' and the woman's liberation movement. The age of destruction. But, I didn't know it cause God wasn't in my picture then. God's wrath is strong. Myself and my children suffered for many, many years because of my sins, and it took many years after for me to turn to God and ask his forgiveness and repent.

Soon after my first divorce, I jumped right back into the "frying pan" by marrying again to a real loser ( of course, again, I couldn't see it then cause God wasn't in my life).

I don't believe that a person who divorces his/her spouse for other reasons such as abuse or desertion, and remarries lives in perpetual sin. I believe That God blesses all marriages that are formed with commitment and most in importantly Godly love. I for one, experienced divorce the second time because of infidelity on his part (first divorce, all my fault, second his infidelity and abuse) both physical and sexual abuse of myself and my children ( two girls, now grown) which destroyed me and left both girls with lasting emotional problems which carried over into their own family and their children. I tried to save the marriage for to many years. I didn't 'see' the sexual abuse. I suffered the physical abuse because I had no place to go, no money, etc.. Not out of love or commitment. But I never believed he would hurt my children. But, I was wrong. Once I found out, I loaded my girls into my car with the clothes on my back a basket of clothes for them and , no lie , one silver dollar to my name! God got us through the most horrible of times. But, I didn't know it at that time.I had yet to become a Christian. Looking back I now realize ALL God had done for us during that time and have thanked Him so many times for His everlasting, faithful love.

I do not believe God would condemn me to a life lived alone because of the faults of my husband or my own mistakes.As, I have since ask for His forgiveness repented. This abusive pattern took years to break. As I said my children and I suffered for years. I came from an abusive, dysfunctional family and I let myself become the same way, and then my oldest daughter who suffered most of the sexual abuse let her family become very dysfunctional. It was a destructive pattern, that was taking roots in every generation of our family.

In 2004, through an unfortunate accident, which left my 3 year old granddaughter in a comma for 8 weeks, close to death, God spared her life. We, my daughter and I became Christian in 2005. We were both baptized as babies but we rededicated ourselves to Jesus once again. God works in miraculous ways. What was an awful tragedy at the time was the stepping stone ( The Cornerstone ) to turning our family around and seeking to be right with God. As a result of little Myra's accident, the entire family of six children and her husband and my husband and myself have all become Christians and been baptized and my granddaughter ( not the one who was hurt, but her older sister) who is now 13 has been to Guatemala to do mission work last year and is going again this summer. I believe if one seeks redemption, repents of sins and seeks to be filled with righteousness, God is faithful and forgiving.

I am now happily joined together as one with the most wonderful man for 18 years. Looking back, even though I was still not a Christian when I met him, I KNOW with all my heart God put us in each others sight. We have respect and Godly love and commitment, I never dreamed was possible. Thank You God for your amazing forgiveness and faithfulness.

I believe there is no situation in which God is unforgiving. The only sin God will not forgive is if one denounces The Holy Spirit.

Matthew 12:31 And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

• 5 weeks later...

Q5. (Matthew 19:9)

Does a person who has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness, live in a perpetual state of adultery?

Yes, a peerson who has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness lives in a perpetual state of adultery.

Should that person divorce or separate in order to get back into God's will?

Yes, if the divorced one is not ret re-maried, that person should divorce, not only separate, in order to get back into God's will.

How can he or she get back into God's will, or is that no longer possible?

It is possible to get back into God's will by repenting and to ask God for guidance.