JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Rewards in Heaven

Q3. (Matthew 6:19-21) According to the Bible, how does one "store up treasures in heaven"? What advantage does this have over accumulating earthly possessions? Why are we uncomfortable with the concept of rewards in heaven?

I think one stroes up treasure in heaven by believing in Jesus and living the way He wants us to so that at the end of our time He will reward us. Earthly possessiond end when we die, they are only for as long as we live. God's rewards go on for ever.

We are not confortable with rewards in heaven because of our lack of faith. We are not sure if it is true, whereas we can see the earthly wealth with our own eyes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Matthew 6:19-21) According to the Bible, how does one "store up treasures in heaven"? What advantage does this have over accumulating earthly possessions? Why are we uncomfortable with the concept of rewards in heaven?

We store up treasures by living out God's call in our lives. By taking on God's priorities and living them out in our lives. By presenting the gospel in word and deed and by ministering to others in need around us in the name of and for Jesus Christ. We are His followers. Our reward in heaven will be great. A greater reward than what I can amass for myself on this planet.

Many don't believe Jesus. Many want their rewards now where they put their hands on it. We need to be like Abraham who lived in a tent but could see the foundations and promise of the future City of God. He believed God and lived like it.

According to the Bible, one "store up treasures in Heaven" as he does good works here on earth the rewards are stored in Heaven. This is advantageous over accumulating earthly possession as the earthoy possessions have no value to a person after death. Only what is done for Christ will last through eternity. We are comfortable with the rewards in Heaven because there the Father will say to us "Well done."

• 3 weeks later...

We can store treasures in heaven by the way we serve God, for instance fast, help others in secret and God will reward us openly. Our heavenly treasures are eternal, earthly treasures are corrupt and don't last

Some people can't visualise with faith the treasures that await us in heaven, they want treasures now. That is why they feel uncomfortable with the concept of heavenly rewards

• 2 weeks later...

We store up treasures in Heaven by being obedient. Doing God's work, staying faithful and not wavering, etc. The Bible says we have rewards for the things that we do. Helping feed the poor with whatever they may need. Sharing God's love with those who don't know, or maybe are a little sceptical. Let's be clear-works do not mean saved. Salvation is a free gift from God. However, after we are saved, we need to be about our Father's business. We need to take the Gospel to those who don't know or have questions. Our love for God compels us to do this.

Earthly possesions are going to go away. We cannot keep anything we have in this life. There is nothing wrong with having material things-but we must keep it in the proper perspective. Our **** for material things will separate us from God. We must always be seeking the Kingdom of God first.

Humanity wants to have things. That is what we work for. Big screen tv's, nice cars and houses, that sort of thing. Statis symbols. That need for material things will make us squirm when comparing earthly with Heavenly..we want it all now! Eternity, however, will be quite different. We need to be mindful of the future, and what is in store for us ater we leave this earth.

• 4 weeks later...

We store up treasures in heaven each time we do something that shows our love for God. This is forever, for all eternity, whereas treasures on earth are for but a short time.

I'm not sure about being uncomfortable with the concept of rewards in heaven - I guess that depends on perception of what we believe those rewards to be. I see them as an eternal, close relationship with my Savior; a long and lasting love; no sickness or tears; a home in which our Lord rules without the influences of Satan. Within that concept, the "uncomfortable" would be in my feelings of not being deserving.

• 6 months later...

To store up our treasure in heaven, we do acts of love toward God. Living the way He wants us to live. The advantage is we will have eternal things that will not rust, or decay, or be stolen. I am not uncomfortable with the concept, but I think some people are because of doubt and unbelief. I know that heaven is my reward and my Lord will be there. PRAISE THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS!!

By doing good things for others, mostly in secret for Gods eyes only. By trying to live using Jesus as an example, modeling our lives after his. As humans we will fall at times, but we must get back up and ask for forgiveness . When we accumulate earthly treasures thats it, when we die they don't come with us. Heavenly treasures will be there in Heaven waiting for us. God will accept us into his Kingdom and we will live there with him for eternity. Because we can see earthly treasures and heavenly treasures are not seen until we die and live in glory with our Lord.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Matthew 6:19-21)

According to the Bible, how does one "store up treasures in heaven"?

What advantage does this have over accumulating earthly possessions?

Why are we uncomfortable with the concept of rewards in heaven?

In 1Timothy 6:17-19, Paul tells us that if we have been blessed with riches, we are to use them in this world in such a way as to build up treasures for the next. This we do by not being arrogant; by not putting our trust in uncertain riches, but rather in our Lord; by being ready to give to the needy. It is also all about our attitude to life. There are some things we must realize in this life; we are only passing through in this world and this is not our ultimate destination; also that we are only stewards of all that has been given to us on this earth; also we must eventually give an account of how these treasures were utilized. This applies to money, our intellect, or even ourselves, or whatever gift/s we may have. It is difficult for us to let go of our possessions, most of us worked hard to obtain them, and we therefore feel we own them all, when in fact they have only been loaned to us. Once we realize that we are only custodians of these things then we must ask ourselves how we can use these things to the glory of God. It is now that we start storing treasures for us in heaven

• 1 month later...

it means to use all that we have for the glory of god. you see, its not wrong to possess things,but it is wrong for things to possess us. look at the following verses v.22 they try to get your eyes, v.23 they get your eyes than sooner or later they get your heart, then in v.24 they get your will. its been said outlook determines outcome, and that is certain in this case.all blessings must be given back to god immediately for his glory or they will soon control us. heres a challenge to all saints, just go through your home and see what you cant give up to god immediately, then you will know what controls you.

• 4 months later...

The Bible tells us that our works will be judged whether they are good or bad and whether we are righteous or not. The good works of the righteous (intercessory prayer, acts of charity, random acts of kindness,etc.) will be sort of credited to our accounts, hence "storing up treasures in heaven."

The advantage is that we are submitting to God's authority, admitting our own inadequacy, and doing as He wills, as opposed to putting faith in our own capabilities and belief that we can do anything worthwhile independent of God. In so doing, we gain spiritual riches for ourselves that are eternal in the Kingdom of Heaven rather than the fleeting, transitory, carnal wealth that ends when we die and never does any lasting good for anyone.

Many mainline protestants would be made uncomfortable by the concept of rewards because it puts emphasis on works rather than grace through faith. It is true that we don't merit justification or salvation and nothing we do will ever be able to merit them. However, there is more to the story. Ephesians 2:8-9 and Titus 3:5-7 both say that we are saved only by grace through faith, but the very next verse in both cases says that God created us for good works that He planned ahead of time. Nothing we do can save us, but once Jesus saves us we should have a true change of heart, turn around and follow Him. We should be striving to be as Christ-like as we possibly can. Living our lives as He lived His will include the good works that store up rewards for us in heaven.

• 4 months later...

The answer is in Matthew 25:31-46

We feed people who are hungry, take care of people who are ill, ...

Jesus can see how much we love Him by what we have done for other people.

We can't buy heaven with good deeds! but they do show our faith.

The problem of earthly possessions is that we can't take them with us.

In my language, we say "In the last costume there are no pockets"

The answer is in Matthew 25:31-46.

Our 'treasures in heaven' are our good deeds on earth.

They don't buy us a place in heaven but they do show our faith.

Yes, I am very uncomfortable with that concept.

I do my best but it is very, very hard.

So many times I want to smack faces if people hurt me.

I can control myself because Jesus told us to.

What if there is no God and therefore no Godly justice?

The concept makes me doubt.

Or should I say, Satan uses the concept to make me doubt?

• 9 months later...

Storing up treasures in heaven for us is to give God our heart, and put all our heart to do his will. Not so easy to do. It means for starters - "to remain in him... joyfully obeying his commandments...' It is to submit and long to hear what he wants us to do as we walk each moment in his earth creation and surrounded by the good and lost souls around us. We can start by prayerful meditation in the morning, asking Him to be with us to speak to us and make clear to us what to do each minute.

Rewards in heaven we can't really understand, just like we can't understand Jesus powerful unconditional love. We were not there when he did his acts of love, and have a hard time imagining how awesome he was as he was performing his miracles.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Marloes that the answer lies in Matt. 25:31-46. In order to "store up treasures in heaven" we are to give food to the ones without food, help them spiritually (thirst), care for the homeless, donate clothes to those who are in need, care for the ones who are sick, do what we can for the ones in prison. We are not to give up on people.

What advantage does this have over accumulating earthly possessions? Everything! Jesus will come with His angels and sit on His throne of glory. He will separate the people who love Him and do His will from the ones who do not love Him and do nothing for Him. For the ones who love Him and follow His teachings, He calls us blessed of His Father and takes us into the Kingdom He has made for us. The others who do not love Him do not enter into His Kingdom.

Why are we uncomfortable with the concept of rewards in heaven? I can only speak for myself here. I know that I often fall short of doing all I can do for God, and I don't think I have many rewards in Heaven. But, then, I don't focus on earning rewards; instead, I try to do what God would have me do.

• 2 weeks later...

<!--quoteo(post=32213:date=Dec 19 2007, 09:43 PM:name=Pastor Ralph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pastor Ralph @ Dec 19 2007, 09:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=32213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Q3. (Matthew 6:19-21) According to the Bible, how does one "store up treasures in heaven"? What advantage does this have over accumulating earthly possessions? Why are we uncomfortable with the concept of rewards in heaven?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b><u>Why are we uncomfortable with the concept of rewards in heaven?</u></b>

I am not. Matter of fact I am looking forward to that day!!!!

LOVE THIS RESPONSE! ditto

According to the Bible, specifically the sermon on the mount, you "store up treasures in heaven" by:

giving to the needy

prayer, private and daily

forgiving others

fasting, privately

And all of these done to Glorify, honor, the Father, not ourselves.

Naturally the Earthly posessions are temporal and can be gone in an instant. Just watching the news and seeing the destruction from hurricanes and California wild fires demonstrates how quickly these kind of treasures are wiped away. Yet when we sacraficially help others the Lord, who is eternal, remembers. In Matthew 25:

31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

I guess, for me, as I struggle with coveting material earthly things, and breaking that mindset, I don't want the rewards to be my motivation for obeying God as much as I desire my good works to be a natural outpouring of my gratitude and love for the Lord. I would rather not let the rewards be my focus because it probably isn't even what I can imagine.

• 1 year later...

Through deep faith,commitment, obedience and reliance on God.

Earthy possessions can easily be lost, or taken away. God is sovereign and eternal and nothing can ever take away our love for God or God's love for his children.

Romans 8:38-39(NIV)

38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Matthew 6:19-21)

According to the Bible, how does one "store up treasures in heaven"?

According to Bible, one "store up treasures in heaven" by giving alms to the needy, praying in private, and fasting. By one's good works with a pure heart for God.

What advantage does this have over accumulating earthly possessions?

The advantage this has is being rewarded the inheritance in the Kingdom of God.

Why are we uncomfortable with the concept of rewards in heaven?

Were are uncomfortable with the concept of rewards in heaven because of our greedy.

• 2 months later...

I frequently enjoy the responses of others. But more than a few of the ones to this question trouble me.

What might the 'rewards' in heaven be? A bigger 'mansion'? Maybe a wider 'street of gold'? Or better yet a cul de sac? Maybe lunch with Jesus? Or a seat closer to God during praise time? Better food would be nice? Or a little extra attention now and then?

But all these are things of this world. What are the rewards - the things valued - in heaven?

A pure heart? If I could see the world as I did as a child, that might be a reward. Simple, straight forward and honest. Selflessness? If I could rejoice when others recieved everything and I nothing, that would free so much happiness.

Unchallenged love and attention for the will of my God and Creator? That might be an eternity of reward.

Maybe if we could store up treasures like these on earth, they would be worth sending ahead to our next life.

Personally I don't want the others. The heaven I long for has no other treasures than the things God values and He has made them clear for us to strive for in this life. To think we should do without things here - only to be rewarded with them in heaven - seems to miss the point.

• 1 year later...

One stores up treasures in heaven by being a Matthew 25 Christian and by pleasing God and not for show.  Please God from your heart because you want to, because it feels right, because it feels good.  Earthly possessions fade, die, or rot.  What you do for God and your fellow man lives forever.  I think we are uncomfortable with the reward in Heaven because we do not understand.  Reward connotes that we are going to do something to get something, and in a way it is.  But we are doing it of our own free will.  I choose to worship God and be a Matthew 25 Christian and do it for God and not for me.  That will be my reward.

• 1 year later...

We store up treasures in heaven by fasting, praying, giving alms, walking in love and forgiveness in our relationships, letting our light shine for Christ, living a pure and a holy life, being the salt of the earth, etc. Accumulating spiritual wealth is superiour to earthly wealth because it lasts forever and cannot be stolen. We are often uncomfortable with the concept of rewards in heaven because it seems contrary to salvation by grace and not works.  We seem to be then working to gain God's favor.  To the conctrary, it is living a life of obedience to God.

• 2 weeks later...

Praying, giving, fasting and doing the things in secret to honor him.  The advantage is to live with God in eternity.  It is by faith.

• 3 months later...

We store up treasures in heaven by doing good deeds here on earth. It is important to share all of our worldly possessions with those that do not have as much. We need to use all of our resources wisely. We need to do little acts of kindness. We need to use the gifts of the spirit that God has graced us with.

I think that Christians find themselves in a position to believe that heaven in the ultimate reward. They feel that all that is promised is there. I do not feel that they want to have less than some else because of rewards. I feel that people see complete equality as the way heaven will be. They might not look at the statement that Jesus said about heaven having many rooms, as a division of rewards.

• 1 month later...

We “store up treasures in heaven” by doing good deeds and by giving to the needy and by staying in touch with God. The advantage of storing up treasures in heaven is that we get to take it with us. All earthly possessions are left behind.

I think that the reason that we are uncomfortable with rewards in heaven is that sometimes we think of it as being able to saves ourselves. This has nothing to do about salvation it has all to do with rewards once we get there.