JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

I do not think anyone was at fault in this incident in Jesus' early life. He was so wrapped up in what was being said and done in the temple that I am sure He didn't even realize that the others had left. The time He spent with the priests must have been extended as He would have otherwise realized that his family and friends were gone. With life being lived as it was in those times and the closeness between members of the family it is not surprising that Mary and Joseph took it for granted that Jesus was with other members of their party. There was such a vast crowd of people in Jerusalem that it would have been hard to keep track of each individual. Also we must remember that there were not the problems that are present today with children not being so closely supervised. I do not think there was any sin or error in judgement but just an acceptance of what was considered allowable at that time in social activities.

Guest Jenifer

I don't think that anyone was at fault in this situation. When a large group of people travel together, you are not sure always who is in the group, many time you assume that evryone is there, somewhere.

I believe that Jesus was so engrossed in the teaching that he didn't hear or even know that his group way leaving. I think that Jesus's parents reacted like any parent would have.

• 2 weeks later...

i tend to agree with the other posters on there being no one at fault in jesus being left behind. traveling in the large group and assuming he was with them explains their leaving him, and jesus' being engrossed in the teaching and assuming his parents were still there explains his "missing the bus".as far as the last part of this question, most of the time our sins are a result of an error in judgement(possibly premeditated), but an error in judgement doesnt necessarily result in a sin against God.

Guest IN_A_MELLOW_TONE

I don't believe there was a fault either. I love music. If my parents took me to a music store and walked around, I'm sure I could easily loose track of them or wander off trying different instruments. I think Jesus was like this. He loved the theology (if that's what you call it) that was going on around. He was embraced by it and I would think it's similiar to a young boy or man feeling a conviction at a young age.

He probably assumed that they would know where he was, and would come and get him before leaving. It didn't occur to them that he would be in the Temple. It was a simple mix-up.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe that Jesus intentionally incurred in any faul, He came to this world to bring His people back to the Lord and what better way to start His ministry that going to the temple and showing the elders what they were doing wrong. He knew that his earthly parent will find Him, and also I believe was another way to reassure them who He really was. I don't think that an error in judgement and sin are always the same, some errors in judgement could incurr in sin, but we have to remember that God is in control. I think that before we take any decision that could bring an error in judgement or could result in sin, we should pray and ask God for guidance.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jackie Brown

Jesus did what was ordained by God. I do not think that Jesus was out of line, because it had to be do. By Jesus doing what had to be done shows me that, you would have some people start out with you, but by them not being in the spirit, they can end up losing tract of your where abouts in this christian walk, all simply because they are not alert, and the work must go on.

Guest Jackie Brown

Jesus did what was ordained by God. I do not think that Jesus was out of line, because it had to be do. By Jesus doing what had to be done shows me that, you would have some people start out with you, but by them not being in the spirit, they can end up losing tract of your where abouts in this christian walk, all simply because they are not alert, and the work must go on.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
2. How do you evaluate Jesus' carelessness in not going home with his parents when they left Jerusalem? (2:43-44) Was Jesus at fault or they? What is the difference between an error in judgment and sin, if any?

I do not think that Jesus was careless. He said he was about his fathers business, and that is exactly what he was doing. It was an appointed time and place and part of the fulfillment of the scriptures.

• 1 year later...
2. How do you evaluate Jesus' carelessness in not going home with his parents when they left Jerusalem? (2:43-44) Was Jesus at fault or they? What is the difference between an error in judgment and sin, if any?

Oh wow what a question!! I do not think anyone was at fault. I think Jesus was pulled toward God in the temple. I think He needed to be there. I cannot imagine not being able to be everywhere when I was once able to do this!! Jesus's parents were not at fault. They did not understand the gravity of this child. We do not even understand the gravity of this child today in many respects. I cannot find fault or lack of judgement in either case. Both parties were doing what they thought/knew was best for all.

• 1 year later...

i dont think it is a sin - or an error in judegement either - it was simply Gods will

• 6 months later...

I do not think that Jesus was at fault either, I believe he was where he should have been at that moment. after all he was Gods son. There was no Sin committed. Jesus said he was about his fathers buisness. It seemed natural to him, to be in the temple, Listening to the teachers, and asking questions.I suppose the time went quickly for him, and he was unaware of the worry that he had caused his Parents.

• 2 years later...

Q2. How do you evaluate Jesus' carelessness in not going home with his parents when they left Jerusalem? (2:43-44)

I cannot agree that Jesus was careless in not going home with his parents when they left Jerusalem because his explaination for not being with them and being in the Temple said it all. He was about doing a higher "calling."

Was Jesus at fault or they?

If any fault is to be placed, I would have to say the parents were at fault for not ensuring that their minor son was in their company when leaving Jerusalem.

What is the difference between an error in judgment and sin, if any?

The difference between an error in judgment and sin is that sin is breaking the commands of God whereas error in judgment is a failure to use wisdom in a situation that appears to be harmless and not considered to be sin.

• 7 years later...
On 12/8/2002 at 12:59 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

I don’t count that as carelessness because as He explained to them that He must be about His Father’s business.  God’s business is more important than any person’s, you have to put God as number one.  They were at fault because Jesus Christ had more important things to do, even though his dad and mom were worried about Him.  You can have an error in judgment that doesn’t necessarily mean you’ve sinned while when you sin you are doing bad things contrary to God.