JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Adhering to 'Good Doctrine'

Good doctrine is the teaching found in the Scriptures and we must have a movement in our spirit to embrace it so we can willingly move closer to God. The Bible is Gods word for inspiration reproof and rebuke. He loves us so it makes sense that we revere Him and His precious word. The teaching that would take us away from God and towards the world

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Romans 6:17b) How does good doctrine affect the way we live? Why should we honor good doctrine? If we shouldn't look down on doctrine itself, what kind of teaching should we be avoiding?

17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

Question one: Good doctrine will bring you into obedience

Question two: Because good doctrine brings deliverance.

Question three: False doctrine that leads to sin.

• 4 months later...

Q4. (Romans 6:17b) How does good doctrine affect the way we live? Why should we honor good doctrine? If we shouldn't look down on doctrine itself, what kind of teaching should we be avoiding?

Good doctrine is Biblical teaching. When we are in the Word, we are more apt to obey it. We should honor good doctrine in that it is the teaching of Biblical principles. We should avoid any teaching that is contrary to the Word of God.

• 10 months later...

Good doctrine effects the way we live because we are taught that biblical truth is Gods truth. We should honor this good doctrine because god has taught us how to live among our fellow man and how we are to love them and bring them to Christ. Sound doctrine also teaches us that God is merciful, just and full of loving kindness. We learn of the love God has for mankind as long as we love him with all our heart, mind and soul.

We should avoid doctrine that teaches we can still sin all we want because Christ has already forgiven us, that God will provide a trouble free life and He will rain down on us all the riches of heaven. That we will have a job or life that is no stressful and we will be promoted to the top of our professions. No where in scripture has the taught that our life would be trouble free, because while we in the world we will have troubles just like everyone else. The exception is that we have Christ as our inner strength and He will guide us according to His will.      

• 7 months later...

Form of doctrine or teaching in Greek is  "a kind, class, or thing that suggests a model or pattern, form, figure, pattern,". Our Christian doctrine is the model or pattern that we have been taught to believe by the fathers of the church down through the centuries. This what we believe and this is what we live for we live what we believe. I had a friend who grew up on John Wayne movies so he had all kinds of cliches of Wayne sayings like "That's all for you pilgrim!". For those who grew up on church doctrine we also have sayings such as "THe Lord is my shepherd" or I AM the light of the world" or " There is neither Jew or Greek, slave or free or male or female but all are one in Christ". This sayings strengthen us in times of trial. 

We   must ensure that this doctrine is truly Biblical, that is, conforms carefully to the actual teaching of the Bible. However, we are not able to forget the doctrine of the church and the teachings of the church fathers. There have been more than one form of Christian teaching in our Christian heritage. As well as the teaching of Paul there is the teaching of John and the teaching of James and the jerusalem church.  A very high percentage of the Bible is pauline of souce so if we ignore church doctrine for the Bible only we are possibly over stressing the work of Paul. (Not that might not be a good thing!)

• 3 years later...

Then why try to resist sin at all? hmm, that is just about the same as giving up. I’m not saying giving up completely, but I’ll never forget the words from a person whom I held in very high esteem when they spouted out “everybody does it”. I will never say who the person was or what the incident was, but I do know that it is a surefire way to NOT have victory in life. I fell into that state more than once before coming to terms with the truth. I blame nobody for my fall but the times I did, I hit hard. The path can also lead to some strange ways of thinking, none of which line up with what the Bible tells of. I did have to admit to my wrongdoing before being rescued and put back on my feet, which is a stark contrast to “defeatist confessions in the name of humility and evangelical political correctness”. Anyone who knows me knows that political correctness of any type does not describe me and defeatist confessions in the name of humility is the same as saying “God can’t do it”. ~end of rant.

Good doctrine is what leads to victory. Temptations and trials will still come, in fact the storm can get rough at times, but it is good doctrine which leads us to the calm waters. We should all follow good doctrine unless you are a glutton for punishment who loves nothing but sorrow because without it that is what we are headed for. Good doctrine comes from the Bible, in fact 2 Timothy 3:16 fills us in quite clearly on the subject: “ All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:”.

Any doctrine that doesn’t have Biblically sound roots should be “religiously” avoided. There is much doctrine taught by worldly people which has its roots in righteousness. Just like the Bible, most worldly doctrines will tell you not to steal as an example. If a person lives by good solid Bible doctrine they should have no problem just about anywhere in the world, setting aside that persecution will still arise because of your core belief in the Bible. Seemingly good people, Christians included, tend to think it alright to pocket the sign-in pen at a doctor’s office because it will be replaced, and the doctor can surely afford it. Imagine the cost if every person who works for the government plus everybody who visits such an office were to steal a pen every day. Might not seem like much but would not take long for it to turn into multi-millions of dollars involved. This is the kind of doctrine that should be avoided. Anything that involves or promotes sinful practices needs to be avoided when possible lest its fruit get the best of you.

There is not a person alive who doesn’t follow some type of doctrine in their life whether it is good or bad or a combination of the two. As Christians we must decide to follow that which leads to victory. The world is watching, and you never know the effect it can have on a person you are trying to introduce to Christ. Being a Christian, the world will surely judge you more harshly than one of its own.

• 11 months later...

Good doctrine I believe applies scripture to the life and times we live in. First, love God with all your heart, mind and soul. And love others as God loves us. I understand the later to mean, love the person , have a burden for the lost but hate the sin.

We must be biblically literate, not relying on another person to interpret scripture so that , with the Holy Spirit, we can discern good doctrine from bad.

• 10 months later...
On 8/16/2008 at 1:15 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

We inevitably live in obedience to the doctrine in which we are instructed. Good doctrine ensures that we obey God and not sin. 

We should honour good doctrine because it reflects God's instructions to us.

We should avoid all teaching that is contrary to God's will; for instance, defeatist propaganda that says we can never achieve living above sin.

• 4 months later...

Good doctrine if it istaken solely from God's Word will help us grown and become wise. It will help us learn how to treat others and relate to people in our culture. It will help us not only bring others to Christ by how we live but help us serve a hurting world where many wrongs are happening.

We should honor good doctrine because it comes from Him and we are to obey Him. We are to listen to every word He says and study to be approved. We should honor it because it is the only way to live a holy life here and become like Him.

We should avoid the kind of teaching that says it is allright to sin. The teaching that says we need Jesus plus good works to get to heaven, The doctrine that says we have to avoid certain foods or do certain things besides what He said. We are to avoid anything that is man centered and does not glorify God.

• 4 weeks later...

It causes us to walk in a way that the world sees that we are changed from the inside out and are no longer the same anymore. We should honor it because as 2 Tim 3:16-17 it helps us in so many ways to be a better follower of Christ. I believe as the apostles stated in the word it would be anything that contradicts the Gospel and God's word in general.

• 5 months later...

(Romans 6:17b) How does good doctrine affect the way we live?

If by good doctrine, it is understood to be Christ's teaching without it being watered down then it would be that we live righteous lives, pleasing to our God. 

Why should we honor good doctrine?

We should honor it because it is helpful in showing us in a simple (easy to understand) way how to live for God. Culture by culture. 

If we shouldn't look down on doctrine itself, what kind of teaching should we be avoiding?

Watered down teaching (tickling the ears teaching) twisted truths to suit the situation. 

• 2 years later...

How does good doctrine affect the way we live? Why should we honor good doctrine? If we shouldn't look down on doctrine itself, what kind of teaching should we be avoiding?

What a fascinating topic! Thank you Pastor Ralph for bringing this to light.

Doctrine often seems like something fuddy-duddies get worked up over, not the "spiritually real" or growing Christians. It's true that the theologians in seminaries, for example, are often very detached -- somewhere on the spectrum? But what God has called them to do is important, for they clarify by weaving the various threads of scripture into a recognizable cloth of theology.

I can think of many examples of people who are Spirit-filled yet lacking the sort of spiritual grounding that theology gives. Conversely, I can give many examples of believers who are theologically literate and proficient, yet spiritually dead. The best case scenario is a person who is both spiritually alive and theologically grounded. Being theologically grounded isn't the same as being biblically grounded, though there is overlap. People can know the bible very well, yet not be able to weave the thread of verses into a larger cloth of understanding. Simply quoting verses is better than not knowing them, of course, but it's not the same as understanding them.

Knowing the bible is the first step. It's the basic blocks on which theology must be based.

Knowing theology is the second step. Here we find disagreement. There are limits to our tolerance of theology we believe is errant. We must obey what we believe the Holy Spirit is leading our minds to understand ... as we dig ever deeper into scripture. 

Knowing the history of theology is the third step, the various theological disagreements over time. This is the essence of church history, not the lineage of popes!  Church history is essentially intellectual history (the history of ideas over time).