JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. God Is for Us!

Q3. (Romans 8:31-32) What is the significance of the statement: "If God is for us, who can be against us?" Who might our enemies be? What is the evidence presented that God is for us? How does this statement make you feel? How does it affect hope? How does it allow you to act? What might: "...graciously give us all things" refer to?

Answer:

1."If God is for us, who can be against us?"

One of the great verse I love.

It is an assurance of victory, assurance of His ever presence not to leave nor forsake us.God knows that we are weak and fearfull,so He give us this assurance,to strengthen us.HE GIVE US THIS SECURITY.In previous verse Paul is speaking that Jesus is our intercessor,THAT WE ARE LED BY THE SPIRIT,AND ARE CHILDREN OF GOD..

So with all this promises,He challenged anybody

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Romans 8:31-32) What is the significance of the statement: "If God is for us, who can be against us?" Who might our enemies be? What is the evidence presented that God is for us? How does this statement make you feel? How does it affect hope? How does it allow you to act? What might: "...graciously give us all things" refer to?

Our enemies are the devil and his angels. However, God is so powerful that nothing can stop us. Just as God gave everything He had in Jesus Christ to die for our sins, he promises to be for us in all things. I feel very confident and hopeful when I read this. I can live without fear of what man or the Enemy may do to me. I believe "that graciously gives us all things" means that God wants to lavish us with everything we need. We may not get all we want but we will lack nothing that is important.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

3. a. God gave His Son for us to secure our salvation, He is for us, He has take our side against all foes.

b. Our enemies - the world, the flesh, and the devil.

c. His word - it is true. No enemy has near the power of our God.

d. It makes me feel safe and protected.

e. No weapon formed against me shall prosper

f. Loved,thankful safe and humble.

g. Along with Christ and my brothers and sisters in Christ, He will show us eternal blessings forever and we will be enjoying the incomparable riches of His grace. Not giving us our things, but the things of God.

• 2 months later...

It is a statement of security. It means that God will fight our battles for us when we turn them over to Him. He has all power so if He is on our side we have absolutely nothing to worry about. Isa 54:7 says No weapon formed against thee shall prosper. That means He can take care of all our enemies, the sinful flesh, the devil and the world. The evidence that God is for us is in verse 32. He gave His One and Only Son, gave Him up, to die for us and free us from sin. He did not hold Him back, John 3:16 God so loved the world that He have His only begotten son.... I makes me feel loved and humbled. That God would give His Son up for someone like me, who did this for me while I was still a sinner. As for hope this is the hope of the Christian. To live with God forever and it makes you want to do whatever pleases God. Graciously give us all things that God will share the inheritance that He will give to Jesus with us.

Q3. (Romans 8:31-32) What is the significance of the statement: "If God is for us, who can be against us?"

The Creator of the whole world, indeed the universe, is on our side . . . if we are on His side. If we walk in Him, He will defend us against every adversary.

Who might our enemies be?

Where do I start? Everyone who is not for God is against us, as God's children. In particular the Devil and all his works. We also have physical enemies in this life who want to bring us undone simply because they can. I myself have more real enemies than I can count.

What is the evidence presented that God is for us?

The very fact that God gave His only Son to die for us to redeem us while we were undeserving of such a profound gift is evidence enough.

How does this statement make you feel?

Unworthy. That God would do that for me is something I can't yet grasp. I've had no experience of a loving father in this life and so it's hard for me to grasp the concept that God would love me enough to give His Son for me, especially knowing what I was like before coming to Christ.

How does it affect hope?

It reassures me that I am a child of God and that He is concerned for me, despite worldly evidence to the contrary.

It gives me confidence that if I know I'm in step with God that He is with me in all I do.

How does it allow you to act?

I don't view it like that. I just try to keep myself from letting God down. If I do happen to sin then I know God will forgive me but I don't use that as a license for sinful behavior.

What might: "...graciously give us all things" refer to?

I think it refers to the glory we will be given at Christ's return. There is just so much evidence that we have yet to receive "all things" in this life for it to mean anything else.

• 1 month later...

"If God is for us, who can be against us?" means that we believers are triumphant in all things. Christ died on that wooden cross for you and me. He is the conqueror of the evil if we let him. Who are our enemies? The worst enemy, I think is ourselves, then those people around us who are not fellow believers, then the world. The evidence that God is for us, He is involved in our dilemma, so that His plan be accomplish; and this plan is accomplished by handing over His Son in our behalf. If we have Christ in our very essence of life, God will give us all things graciously. This means that God will give us the things we ask for, but in His own time. We have to be very careful of what we ask for

• 2 months later...

Our enemies start with our "old selves" stuck in the world. Its not easy to be a saint, in fact impossible without God to lead our actions. The devil is poised to take each 'wrong directed thought" and twist it. This requires awareness, and letting God renew our mind helps minimize the 'old way.'

In any case, we can't lose and Romans 8:31-32 is our reminder how we have the Holy Spirit, and that we need His help to keep forging to higher ground; slow but steady, impossible but possible through Christ's blood and the Holy Spirit's presence in our lives. We'll keep striving as Paul said, toward the goal. And who cares who is against us! We stay focused, humble and act as a servant to others, and God lead's us out of the old into the new.

• 4 weeks later...

The significance of this statement is that regardless of whom we encounter in our lives NO ONE is more powerful or has a higher position than GOD!

Is God for us? The evidence presented says so very clearly and concise...He has GIVEN His only Son for our salvation...need I say more?

I feel so loved that words cannot express my feelings. To think God would do this for me is overwhelming. This does not stop here when we consider that He has taken our sides against all foes!

I believe it affects hope in a positive sense as it reinforces the fact that despite the challenges we face here on earth we are never tragically lost nor alone to endure our challenges and trials.

What might: "...graciously give us all things" refer to?

I believe that this sentence says that he graciously gave us His only Son, salvation, and all the love that we need. I also believe that this prepares us for the Second Coming of Christ and what we will receive at this time.

• 4 months later...

God is all knowing and all powerful and loves us. God opposes those who oppose us and curses those who curse us, he is our shield. What enemies? They are tools in God's hand to bring about his purpose. The best evidence that God is for us is verse 32 'He spared not his own son 。。。shall he not with him give us all things?‘ This gives us great hope,it frees us from fear and increases faith and boldness. God is our gracious heavenly father and freely give us blessing, protection, guidance, help, comfort etc。 and the rest。。All things! Awesome! What a great God we serve。

• 2 months later...

(Romans 8:31-32) What is the significance of the statement: "If God is for us, who can be against us?" This statement signifies that God has our back. God is the ultimate. He is the great, "I AM," so for Him to stand for us, anyone on this earth who is against us is insignificant to God Himself. Who is more important than God.

Who might our enemies be? Our enemies are those who are against us because of our faith. Those who persecute us. Those who hate God. Jesus told the diciples that since they hated Him, who is light, they will hate us to because we walk with Him. The world is going to hate us because they hate him. They are the enemy.

What is the evidence presented that God is for us? He gave His Son. If He freely gave up His son for us, He'll clearly give us all things. He said nothing can separate us from His love. That's enough evidence for me!

How does this statement make you feel? Loved, secure, wonderful, joyful, hopeful, and ecstatic!

How does it affect hope? It makes me secure now and in the future. I have hope because I now that He does not lie, and His Word is my security blanket.

How does it allow you to act? I can walk in confidence IN HIM (not in myself) knowing that everything that happens will work out for the best if I walk with Him.

What might: "...graciously give us all things" refer to? I think it would refer to all that we need, desire (if it's God's will), and things pertaining to life. He "graciously" (to give freely as a favor - not because I deserve it) gives us what we need.

• 1 year later...

The significance is that God will always be with us every step of the way. He will never abandon or leave us. He will carry us and that nothing can ultimately defeat us if we abide in Him. Our enemies are satan, the world, our flesh, anything or anyone that does not share our faith or beliefs who battle and sin against God. The evidence is that whereas we were sinners God sent His son to die on the cross for our sins. It gives me hope, joy. praise and humility that God loved me so much that Jesus had to die for me. It engenders and increases hope. It allows me to act with assurance that God will take care of me

.To graciously give us all things is to give the protection support love and essence of Christ Himself

• 1 year later...

In the statement "If God is for us, who can be against us?" If the Holy Spirit dwells in us who or what can be against us, neither rulers, powers or principalities are greater then God Himself.

The evidence that God is for us is that He out of mercy for us in His love, gave His only son to be punished and put to death for our account. If we believe in His Son whom the Father sent, we are justified, sanctified and will be glorified in the Day of the Lord.

This statement makes me feel like I have the full armor of God available for me, to use against the wiles of the devil.

The statement "graciously give us all things"  means to me that god our father has given us all things we ask in prayer, that are according to His will. The lord dwells in us by the Holy Spirit, he knows our needs and will hold nothing back for our benefit.  

• 7 months later...

If God is for us is an awesome concept. The panoramic God who is all powerful, who created the universe and everything within is for us. He is cheering for us. He is on our side. This God who is so much on our side that he gave his only son... wow! There then is nothing that we can not do. He is for us and His Holy Spirit abides in us as we abide in Christ. We are co-heirs of the kingdom of God with Christ and our brothers and sisters. What is some suffering now when the hope of the future spreads before us in a panoramic view. and The Holy and divine God is for us.  Wow!.

We might have enemies but really they do not rate against the God who is on our side. The Devil, now there is a formidable fellow but, after all is is just created the sam as we people are. Satan may cause as pain as he did Job but only in the short term for God is nigh and will redeem us as he has redeemed Job.

The evidence, well we have the word of God as recorded in the Holy Book, the Bible. we have the church who, in despite of its weakness tells us that we are children of God and co-heirs with Christ and with our brothers and sisters. We also have th Holy Spirit who speaks to us and confirms that the Lord is near and that his mighty right arm will save us. This Holy Spirit is a down payment a guarantor that God's promise of love and care for us, our fervent hope is not futile but is a promise steady and true. This guarantee gives use a freedom to act as the Spirit would direct us to act. We need not be worried about the damnation of our souls for God has promised that If we believe on the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved and our families also. (Acts 16. 31).

To be graciously given all things is to be promised a relationship with God the Father, Jesus the Son and God the Holy Spirit for all eternity. When we have been there 10,000 years we will only just gegun. What a party where all are welcome. 

• 3 years later...

Who is stronger than God? Nobody! If the strongest holds the door for you who can close it? Only God. If God is for us we can do anything which is inline with God’s will. Anything!

Our enemies are people who Satan uses to intimidate us, or by attempting to influence the minds of people with evil thoughts, however subtle they may be.

God has proven His words to us by allowing His son to go through the ultimate torment of paying the biggest price imaginable, or better put, what one could never imagine, for every wrong we would ever do and sharing with us Jesus’s inheritance of all things.

It is a very humbling feeling when one lets it sink in the process by which the penalty for our sins was paid.

In the way of how it affects hope, it is the ultimate proof of what we have to look forward to when we depart from this world as we know it. It allows me to act more boldly when I talk about these things to people I don’t even know.

Graciously giving us all things? I’m not sure how to deal with that kind of security at this point. To literally have all things is way too much for me to fathom at this point.

• 2 years later...

It means that no one can come against us because God is on our side and He will defend us. No one can come against Him

Our enemy is the Satan or the devil. People can also become our enemies if they see how we are different and it rubs them the wrong way and they want to cause us trouble.

The fact that He gave us His only Son for us and allowed Him to take our place.

It makes me feel good knowing how much He loves me. It makes me feel secure.

It assures me that it can not be taken away no matter what and that He will always love me.

It allows me to freely live for Him knowing I am secure and that that He will not let me go even if I flub up or sin.

It means the things awaiting us in our heavenly home.

• 7 months later...

If God be for us, who can indeed be against us. No opponent is stronger than God. No devil, no evil forces, no other enemy, nothing. And He has chosen me on His side. 

The Father did not spare His Son, but gave Him to pay the penalty for me. It does not end there. There is more.

Will He not also with Him freely and graciously give us all [other] things. This is an inheritance. 

So we know He sees us as sons and daughters together with Christ as the first-born Son. 

• 2 years later...

Paul’s statements are in the first-person plural – “us” or “us all” – which makes me hesitate, now, to Romans 8:31 as a personal promise.

What did Christ give to every believer? Salvation.

God did not protect every believer from those who were against them, as proven by the fact of the gruesome deaths of the apostles as well as Christians killed for their faith. Paul is saying that because we are saved, we have eternal life and the life in heaven is all that matters. What happens to us here – what our enemies do to us here – cannot take away our eternal security or our confidence that we’ll eventually be with Him in heaven.

I have always interpreted this as God protecting me in this life, that He’d take pity on me and protect me from enemies. Now, I see this is wrong – God doesn’t promise to protect me from my enemies, but to save me from them … eventually. In heaven only will He graciously give me all things. Not on earth.

I so wish this verse promised His protection right now for I could use it, but, well, it doesn’t. It’s a promise of heaven. An afterlife. Of being given all things after I’m dead, not while I’m alive.

Because I had misinterpreted it in the past, this statement makes me feel vulnerable. My faith is intact and my salvation is assured, but I didn’t doubt this before. What I had hoped for, and read into this passage, was God’s protection on earth, in this life. Perhaps God will protect me (more) in the future – I don’t know – but He is not obligated by a clear scriptural promise to do so.