JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (1 Timothy 3:6, 10) Why should leaders be observed carefully and tested before placing them in office? What should you be looking for during this period?

There are times when people are given a position of power or authority when they have not developed all the necessary qualifications for that position. Often pride enters in and relationalship problems begin with others. Being tested refines their character and motives. There are times when people seek positions of authority with motives which are for the fulfillment of some desire they have. When times of testing are being done one should look for someone who is humble, caring, loving and has total respect for the Lord and others. Their words should line up with their actions and they should be godly ones.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1 Timothy 3:6, 10) Why should leaders be observed carefully and tested before placing them in office? What should you be looking for during this period?

Q2. (1 Timothy 3:6, 10) Why should leaders be observed carefully and tested before placing them in office?

Ordination or setting an elder or deacon into office too soon can be disastrous for the church -- and for the church officer.

What Paul is saying is that in selecting church leaders you must look for the level-headed, self-controlled person who isn't "off the wall" or reactionary. This person doesn't respond primarily from emotions or prejudice, but is able to weigh issues carefully and fairly.

If you have church leaders who can't be discreet about what they say or church administrative assistants who pass gossip rather than keep secrets, then the church quickly becomes an unsafe place of distrust and competition, rather than a "society of friends" where love is the predominant motivation.

Church leaders must be truthful, straight talkers, even when people may not agree. Let your "yes" mean "yes" and your "no" mean "no" (Matthew 5:37). We can't please everybody. The sooner we figure that out, the better leaders we'll be. Our "boss" as church leaders is not the bishop or the congregation. Ultimately, it is Christ to whom we answer.

Not Intoxicated. The problem with church leaders who drink excessively is several-fold: (1) impaired judgment, (2) risk of a public binge and bringing discredit to the church, (3) a life pattern of lying and self-deceit to cover up or excuse the problem, and (4) guilt.

Not Quick-Tempered or Violent

What should you be looking for during this period?

Character and spiritual experience. When we put people into high church office who are immature emotionally or spiritually, we're just setting them up for an attack of the enemy. Better no elder than one who is too immature to handle the position. Paul suggests a waiting period for deacons to see what they're really made of. Of course their relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ is key. If this relationship is not sound and based on the Word, the person should be reconsidered.

Basic Character. The first quality that Paul gives for a leader is to be "above reproach" (1 Timothy 3:2). Character in a leader is primary, since everything flows from that. Too often when we select leaders in the church, we're looking for warm bodies who are willing. We don't really examine character. But we neglect this to our peril.

Selecting a leader with unanswered charges is foolish and can backfire if the charges are proven or publicized. Faithfulness, dependability, trustworthiness is a basic and indispensible character quality. Our leaders must possess it. This is someone whose personal value system is in order, loving the good and despising the evil. Too often we wink at evil or compromise with it. Sometimes we find the "perfect person" for a position, but we don't take enough time to observe them, to evaluate their spiritual maturity and their character. A recent convert placed in high position in the church can easily fall victim to pride (2 Chronicles 26:16; Proverbs 16:18; 18:12).

Hospitality. A leader who doesn't show hospitality to others is likely to lack two character qualities: (1) generosity and (2) openness towards others. Of course, in many cultures today hospitality is practiced less in the home and more in restaurants. But the attitude of generosity and help toward others must remain the same.

there behavior is being watched by sinners as a representation of who christ is. during the testing and observation you are to look for spiritual maturity and character

Well, I have never been on a church board, so I have not had the opprotunity to interview someone. But I do believe in looking at everything about them. In our denomination, our district office plays a role, not just the local church. The district super. interviews them also. After the board decides, it goes the congregation for a vote. We do get to meet them at some point before the vote. Prayer is the key. I want someone who is on fire for the Lord, has goals, and is open the Holy Spirit. The rest will fall in place. We should never put a leader on a pedastool. They are HUMAN! They are just like the apostles. If the Lord wanted infallable, he would put Angels in charge of churches! They bleed just like you and me. Remember that next time you see your pastor and tell him you support him and are praying for him. He has a hard job, and does things I bet you didn't know he even did. Change a light bulb, clean sidewalks in the winter, pull weeds, clean a bathroom. It is not just pulpit and prayer and hospital calls, it is so much more.

Leaders should be examined carefully because it could be disasterous to both the church and the individual if done too quickly.

Genuine faith in God is a must. Basic character and general reputation as they relate to ones manner of living.

Leaders must be obsevered and tested before hand for many reason. If you put a new convert into office this could cause a pride problem for them. They may think they have arrived giving them a false sense of maturity which is needed to lead. An immmature Christian will not be able to handle the problems he may face in a proper manner. If they are not people friendly this can cause a really problem with the members, they must be sincere and genuine. In this day we live in it it is very important to check their background some, too many times people who have been child abusers have been placed in these positions. This is a most serious position(leadership), you are shepherding God's people and leading for the Lord.

When looking for a delegate for leadership you should look at the persons character. Are they mature, sincere, hospitable, respected, trustworthy, with good management ability. Their wives should not be tailbears or gossipers, which could cause much trouble in a church. We are not to look for popularity or just willingness when filling this position. Many people are popular but not always caring and sincere. Many are willing for the wrong reasons. This filling of officers takes time and judgment, it should not be done overnight, once one is in office it is too late than.

Q2. (1 Timothy 3:6, 10)

Why should leaders be observed carefully and tested before placing them in office? Because they are looked at by the body of the church as well as those outside who might want to come in. If they do not represent Christ in His image, they should not hold a position in the church body. This time period is kind of like waiting 24 hours before making a major purchase. You might wish that you had not made that purchase and you might not be able to take it back.

What should you be looking for during this period? Does this person bear the fruits of the spirit? Does this person have attributes of Christ? Is this person able to stand before God blameless and does he remain faithful during this trial period? Is he or she understanding of this trial period or are they resentful of working out their own salvation before the body of Christ? I suppose I am a hard liner but as i look at this study in this chapter, I am questioning myself as well. Would I be capable of holding these positions before the Lord God almighty? I am thinking that for me, I would have to wake up every morning and ask myself these questions and then again before I go to bed, Did I serve the Lord today in this position? Wow, I think I am walking okie dokie until I seek the understanding that in or out of a position in the church building, my walk should be as if I were holding a position, because in all reality... I am. I am serving the Lord every where I go. This causes me to stop and put myself in check. :unsure:

Paul advises them that one who has come in as a babe is not qulified to do the work. Their faith has not been tested. Their moral character must be assessed. The growth in their humility requires sufficient evaluation. They need to be spoon fed baby food"

As babes they are not ready for regular food. They may also discover that this work is not what they want to do. This probationary period gives the leaders of the Chur cha chance to observe and it gives the candidate a chance to determine if this is their call.

Leaders should be tested to verify that they are indeed honest and whom they claim to be. Some people want to hold office for notice and others to get near the money ;) We should be looking for honest and the persons willingness to take office for helping the church and not themselves.

Leaders should be observed carefully and tested before placing them in office because the leaders that do not have the qualities as church leaders can be disastrous for the church and for the church leaders, too.

During this period I should be looking for character qualities, that is, among others, blameless, faithful, trustworthy, upright, holy

Leaders should be observed carefully to be able to stand the traps of the devil. They can easly bring disrepute on the church. Their examples will be emulated by families they head.

A man but of one wife proparly married, above reproach, self controlled, respectable, able to teach, not given to drunkeness, not vilent, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money, must manage his family, not a recent convert, good reputation with outsiders.

Leaders should be observed carefully and tested before placing them in office because they need to be above reproach.

Too often a church will place a man into a leadership position simply because he is willing or may be the only one interested in a leadership position at the time.

What a church should look for in a leader during this period is someone who shows hospitality, is faithful and trustworthy, loves what is good, is upright and devout, isn't a recent convert to Christ,but is a mature Christian who has been tested in the faith.

• 2 weeks later...

Should be observed carefully because you do not want to have someone leading your congregation that is not sincere, more importantly, you do not want them to lead the congregation astray. If you have someone that is leading the congregation that is not spiritually righteous and morally righteous, that congregation will lose God's Holy Spirit and you are making way for Satan to enter.

• 2 weeks later...

Because making a mistake in this area will be costly to both the leader and his congregation. Leader needs to be spiritually mature so that they are not easily deceived and led astray. We need to be sure that people appointed into leadership positions don't just 'talk the talk', they need to be seen to 'walk the walk' as well. Their lives need to be fit for scrutiny by the communtiy as well as the church. Leaders are on the front line and need to be able to deal with the devil's onslaught, this takes maturity, an immature christian is much more likely to succumb to the devil's wiles.

It helps to eliminate surprises. It reveals a person's spiritual maturity and how ready they are for advanced leadership within the church.

During this period the areas for observation should include: consistency in church attendance; consistency in the person's call; general attitude of humbleness; willingness to serve; decision making and overall life style. Does life style reflect purity, holiness, wisdom and Christ likeness.

The things we should examine are the things that are not self evident through everyday discussion such as their attitudes towards their family and its members. Also look at how the person performs under exteme pressure; it brings out character and shows mettle. Impotantly examine their character, for instance, whether they can be faithful listeners or do they gossip and do they encourage only good and upright behaviour in others.

Leaders should be observed and tested prior to placing them in office so there are no surprises and to ensure that the candidate is ready for office.

Areas of observation include: decision making; family leadership; church involvement; submission of will to the Lord; faithfulness to the tasks God has assigned the individual; personal holiness; sobriety; and application of scripture to life.

• 2 weeks later...

Leaders should be observed carefully and tested before placing them in office to ensure that they are the right person with the right characteristics for leading the church. These characteristics would include being above reproach, blameless, trustworthy in everything, one who loves what is good, who is upright and holy, and not a recent convert.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This question has a lot to do with me. I have been in a situation like this before. I was selected for leadership 6 months after I joined the church I was at. I was not able to handle the responsibility and I got removed three months later. If a person is selected for leadership too early it can spell disaster for the church and it can hurt the person who is in the place of leadership. I believe there should be a time of proving for at least 12-18 months. If a person is placed in leadership too quickly it can lead to an attack from the enemy. The person may not be ready to accept the roles and the responsibilities of the leadership role they are taking on. Reason for that is many eyes are watching those who are in leadership.

The thing that we need to be looking for in qualified leaders is faithfulness. Leaders must live a life that is faithful, holy and just

they must love what is good and shun that which is evil. There are a lot of other things to consider. Another reason that new converts or even someone who is already a Christian but new to a particular church needs to be proven first because they can get into pride and become arrogant. That is the same kind of deception that caused Satan to fall from his place in heaven.

• 1 month later...

Leaders should not be recent converts or they may be puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. Also, I think that recent converts would probably not know scripture and may not have a strong education in the faith. It is imprtant for church leaders to know scripture so that they lead from sound principles and not from wordly teachings. Too often leaders in the church today do not have strong knowledge of scripture and are led by wordly values.

Also, leaders should be tested first before being placed in positions of authority. During the testing period I would look to see if the potential leader can hold firm to sound teachings and not be swayed by false doctrines in the congregation. Also, the potential leader should exhibit good moral behavior and serve out of love and not out of the desire for recognition, power, and control.