JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 4 months later...

I would encourage them to surround themselves with other Christians, be a helper. I would ask the Holy Spirit for guidance and get envolved to see which direction God is pointing you. You will feel a drawing toward things that you could use the gifts God has given you.

• 3 months later...

Q1. (2 Timothy 1:6) What advice would you give to a person who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse? How can a gift or ministry be rekindled? What might be involved in reclaiming use of such a gift?

To a person who has allowed the use of a spiritual gift to lapse, I would encourage them to use it because the gift is given for the body of Christ and when it is dormant the body of Christ is without a resource which brings wholeness to itself. The gift can be rekindled by submission to the Holy Spirit, allowing Him to manifest the gift for the glory of God.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (2 Timothy 1:6) What advice would you give to a person who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse? How can a gift or ministry be rekindled? What might be involved in reclaiming use of such a gift?

To stir it up again. To start using it again. It may be a little rusty at first but becomes smoother as we use it.

• 3 months later...

I have been fortunate not to have long periods of feeling a lapse in using the gifts God has given me, but during my brief times, I try to pray to Him, asking for help to get through this time, doing the work he wants me to do and to WANT to do this work.

• 4 weeks later...

There are many causes for a person to allow the fire for the love of God to die.All we can do as fellow Christians is to show our love,encouragement,and to remind him of the special gifts that God had given him and the many souls that he can bring to the Lord with that special gifts.We can also refer him to Paul's words "crown of righteousness on the Lord's return.(Timothy 2 4:7-8).I will also encourage the person to take a sabbatical and spend some quiet time with the Lord and his Word to refresh himself.

• 4 weeks later...

My advice to them would be the same advice Paul gives Timothy - rekindle the gift and use it to the glory and honor of God. . .

This gift can be rekindled by picking up where you left off - getting involved again in these areas where this gift can be used and exercised. . .

Prayer is a good place to start but there must also be an action or actions that correspond with what you are praying for. . .James 2:14-26 (KJV)

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

B)

• 1 month later...

A cording to me the advice I can give is prayer in all tree questions and read the Bible.

• 5 months later...

The advice that I would give to a person who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse would be to get back into it. It will always come back to them with a little practice.

Yes, I think that a gift or ministry can be rekindled with the right encouragement.

The biggest thing that I think that would be involved in reclaiming use of such a gift would be getting back into the bible as a daily routine and a lot of prayer.

• 2 months later...

The advice I would give to a person who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse is that God has blessed them with such a unique gift and that they ought to use it for God's honour and Glory. I may even remind them about the parable of the talents. God gave the gift so that it can be used to build God's kingdom and with of course much practice and seeking God it will grow and multiply.

A gift or ministry can be rekindled by the encouragement and support of others.

Persistently seeking God, I think is the heart of reclaiming use of such gift.

• 1 year later...

What advice would you give to a person who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse?

I have no experiance in this. My advice would be to move your focus back on God. Pray. Read your Bible and start acting. Maybe start with a Bible study, then move on to something better, But keep your eyes on God.

How can a gift or ministry be rekindled?

You must practice, do it. Ask God for guidance and teaching. Pray often and be obedient to God

What might be involved in reclaiming use of such a gift?

Prayer, focus on God, obedience, God's love, asking forgiveness where needed, let go of what ever caused you to wander.

• 9 months later...

My advice to a born-again believer who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse is to remind them of their calling and it's importance to the Kingdom of God, the church, and most importantly to the people being ministered to or benefiting from their ministry.

A gift or ministry can be rekindled by prayer and encouragement by fellow believers.

Reclaiming a gift or ministry would entail prayer, belief and jumping in and doing it. Get moving. Motion perpetuates motion. As long as a person is still they are just going to sit. Movement begats movement and is healing.

• 4 months later...

1a) Give them buckets load of affirmation, and encourage them God has a purpose for their life. Urge them to pray and study God’s word seeking the Lord with whole heart,for a reigniting of the flame for ministrythey were called to with whole heart, repenting of any faith faltering,,distractions, timidity or apathy. Look at what may be the focus of the lapse- our self&problems, tiredness.Receive healing where needed.Discern whether He is changing the direction, or wants to re-energise to servein same area .
b)God gives the spiritual power through HS to rekindle ministry.Give thanks He is preparing one for his service again.
c).Seek counsel,praye&encouragementr from other Christians.Believe God is faithful.Look for opportunities to serve as he creates rhem. Ask the Lord for a refilling of HS.He will give wisdom,leading and power through his Spirit for us to serve. Dwell in Me and I will dwell in you.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. Rekindling
  • 1 month later...

Get back on the saddle!   To dilly dally is not productive.   Sometimes it takes much will power and plain old chutzpah to get back using the gifts that God has given.   God is a perfect gentleman and will not force anyone against their will.

Be prayed up, and wait upon the Lord in quiet for a renewal of the Holy Spirit anointing.   This doesn't come quickly in most cases.    Times of refreshing come after periods of suffering, sincere confession of sins, and separation from the ocassions of sins.

Setting up a strict adherence to a schedule is recommended.    No haphazard spiritual formation nor haphazard devotional life!  A firm daily Bible study time each day is also important.   

• 3 months later...

What advice would you give to a person who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse? How can a gift or ministry be rekindled? What might be involved in reclaiming use of such a gift?

Paul's exhortation to Timothy to not neglect his spiritual gift is wedged into the middle of a long section on spiritual discipline. Paul lists things Timothy should do including preaching and teaching; then reminds him to keep up with the "special gift" that had been given to him by the Spirit and validated by the laying on of hands by the elders.

(I want to know what is that special gift!  Just curious. It came through a prophetic message -- this seems to be all we know about his gift.)

Before I read Pastor Ralph's question, I had thought that Timothy was purposely not using his special gift, perhaps because he wasn't sure when/how to use it, or what he was supposed to think about it. It was a purposeful neglect, then. But on a closer read, the question (and verse) suggests he just walked away from the gift, ignored it and let it slowly wither. 

If this is the case, then why? Why did Timothy neglect his special gift? It seems as if he was working hard with the other gifts, but this one -- his most special gift -- wasn't being used. Why?

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (2 Timothy 1:6)

What advice would you give to a person who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse?

That the work of GOD is never in vain. To trust what ever has gone wrong GOD will correct it in due time. 

As Paul has urge Timothy by reminding him to fan into flame the gift of GOD, which is in him through the laying on of hands. To rekindle it that the love for the spreading of GOD WORD can take priority again.

To start exercising that gift once again.

Recognizing the HOLY SPIRIT as the ONE guiding in the process of reclaiming use of such a gift. It is HOLY SPIRIT that give spiritual gifts to a person. 

If you are close to them, possibly ask them how they are doing and what you have noticed in the lapse of their spiritual gift/ministry.  Sometimes the awareness of the importance the use of this gift within the community is all that it takes.  Appreciation is appropriate.  This also opens the doors to a discussion regarding what the person thinks is his purpose in Christ and if prayer together, inviting Him to show what the lesson or next step is could revitalize the continued enthusiasm for the gift.

The advice I would give to someone who had let their spiritual or ministry gift lapse would be to stir up the gift by faith through exercise of the gift with the aide of the Holy Spirit.

The gift of ministry can be rekindled through reading, meditation, prayer and exercising the gift.

To rekindle the gift one might need to remove some of the ashes, shake the grate, and add fresh kindling to restart the flame. Oh, and don't forget the wisdom , knowledge, and strength of God and the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Q1. I think the first thing to do would be to speak to the Lord, and repent if it is necessary. Explain to Him all that is in your heart and why the situation has arisen. Seek His forgiveness and blessing. Then start anew with small steps forward, not forcing or overly pushing yourself, but at the same time being disciplined enough to keep going even when it is tough. 
It is important to be in constant prayer and studying the word. Only God can give the help that is needed through His Holy Spirit. We must remember the great source of strength we have in the Holy Spirit and He will help rekindle our ministry if we come in true repentance, with a humble heart and a determination to put things right before God.

Q1. (2 Timothy 1:6) What advice would you give to a person who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse?

ANSWER: If you’ve ever operated in a spiritual gift, and but allowed your practice of it to become cold and disused, then you should not be content to let our gifts lie dormant and unused. Instead, we should discover, use, and develop those gifts to build up Christ's body. Let them burn brightly in the service of our Lord. And do so more and more. When our hearts are in all the wrong places, it’s no wonder when our gifts, our time, our attention, our resources, our abilities, consistently land in the wrong places too (or never land at all). Those who use their gifts well reject what the world would teach them to do with their gifts. They carry and spend their gifts where God leads them through His word, prayer, and the fellowship of other believers. We should not be content to let our gifts lie dormant and unused. Instead, we should , use, and develop those gifts to build up Christ’s body. Let them burn brightly in the service of our Lord. And do so more and more.

ANSWER: If your gifts have wandered into a cul-de-sac and begun to wither, it’s not too late to revive them and put them to use. Lay aside the pride, selfishness, worldliness, and passivity that devour what God has given you. Liberate your gifts from the cul-de-sacs that suppress them. Identify something you do well by God’s grace, and ask Him to help you find a need to meet.

ANSWER: Your spiritual gifts aren’t for you, they’re for the people around you. A spiritual gift is worth nothing unless it’s used in faithful service to a community. Spiritual gifts are supernatural empowerments given by the Holy Spirit to the followers of Christ so that they can do the work of building up the body of Christ, that is, the church, and extend the Kingdom of God throughout the world.All the gifts are needed in the body of Christ. All the gifts are equally valid. No one should despise someone else’s gift as being less than his/her gift. Some gifts are more apparent than others, but each gift is important.

• 2 weeks later...

Get back on the saddle!  A person may not want to do so, but at times we have to really make very clear that is very important to get back to the ministry provided if he properly trained and ready for effective Gospel ministry.  At times, a serious inquiry must be done before some one has lapsed or just finished a Ministerial rehabilitation program.

A strict prayer life and daily Bible study are essential.  Titus had to be a man of deep prayer and a diligent Bible student.  He had to raise up shepherds to assist him in pastoral visits and evangelistic outreach throughout Crete.

Spending time in deep prayer is essential.  The man of God must maintain a holy watchfulness; he cannot afford to fritter time in frivolous conversations and in spurious discussions on gnostic ancestral genealogies.  

The advice that I would give to a person who has let the use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse is to have them recall all the things that God has done for them. Remind them that the body of Christ needs their spiritual gift. It can be rekindled by us praying for them and showing that the body really does needs them. The thing that might be involved in reclaiming use of the gift would be bible study and prayer.

A1.

I would tell him to wake up, pray to the Lord Jesus Christ for fresh refilling of the Holy Spirit power afresh.

Similar to the advice given above, there is need for one to know that he has fallen. Then there is need for one to go back to the Lord to ask for the refilling of the Holy spirit and power. One can also ask for the laying of hands of his anointed Pastor to lay hands on him and paray.

Q1. (2 TIMOTHY 1:6) 
What advice would you give to a person who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse? How can a gift or ministry be rekindled? What might be involved in reclaiming use of such a gift? 
I would remind the person, in love, that the Holy Spirit imparts a spiritual gift to every believer; it has been given to build up the body of Christ; to honour God, and to bring Him glory. Also given so that we may serve others, faithfully managing God’s grace. However, it must be used if it is to reach and maintain its full potential – we must persevere in serving our Lord Jesus. We must be careful that our real interests are in our commitment to Him; not be looking for praise or approval from people but only from Jesus. Knowing what Christ has done for us should be enough encouragement for us not to let this gift lapse – we must/will want to serve. We don’t need a new gift but only to rekindle the one God has given us. Remember God has given each one of us a unique gift. Yes, this takes courage and discipline. We need to step out boldly in faith, knowing that God will give us the power we need to do the task He has given us. We might have become rusty but with determination and practice the Holy Spirit will help us, and give us the spirit of power, the spirit of love, and the spirit of self-discipline in reclaiming this gift.