JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Inevitable Persecution

Q4. (2 Timothy 3:10-12) How does a failure to accept the inevitability of persecution hinder our witness? Just what does it mean to "take up his cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and to "carry his cross" (Luke 14:27)? Is Jesus talking about persecution -- or something else?

It shows just how committed to Christ that we are. He is talking about a totally surrendered life that brings glory and honor to the father. By doing this, persecution is inevitable.

The Bible clearly tells us we will be persecuted if we want to live our lives for Jesus. If we don't accept this and step out in faith we have failed. "To take up your cross daily", means to live for Jesus every day, not just Sunday or Wednesday night. Jesus has to be the center of our lives and everything else revolves around him. Yes, I think it means just that, that Christians will be persecuted. Even if it's just being mocked or ridiculed.

• 5 months later...

Q4. (2 Timothy 3:10-12) How does a failure to accept the inevitability of persecution hinder our witness? Just what does it mean to "take up his cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and to "carry his cross" (Luke 14:27)? Is Jesus talking about persecution -- or something else?

A failure to accept or expect that we will be persecuted hinders our witness because when persecution does come it causes us to either compromise our belief - or refuse to continue to witness. . .

To take up the cross of Jesus and carry it daily is to accept that persecution will come - and to have the mind - the will and determination to continue on - to continue loving without becoming mean, ugly and vindictive. . . The Word of God says that it is with love and kindness that we have been drawn. .

Jesus is talking about persecution - it may differ slightly considering the time or age, or even the area of which we live - however it is still persecution. . .

B)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Failure to accept the inevitability of persecution hinder our witness because then we would become timid and we will be afraid to witness.

To "take up his cross daily and to carry his cross" means:to give your whole life to God. It is a daily total sacrifice of self to do the will of Jesus.

Yes Jesus is talking about persecution.

• 2 years later...

The failure to accept the inevitability of persecution makes a person timid, weak and ineffective as a witnesses for Jesus Christ and the Kingdom of God.

Taking up the cross daily means to live out the Gospel of Jesus Christ in this world whatever the cost, including suffering/persecution as Jesus did on the cross.  Jesus was about real personal persecution as the result of witnessing for Him and living out a Christian life not something else.

• 5 months later...

4a)When we share about our faith,we are rejected,persecuted in some way,as following Christ is counter cultural. If we hold onto our faith even in times of testing,persecution&discomfort, our witness of our faith is greatest,when people see it as a living active faith of strength&perseverance through relationship with Jesus proven in hard times of testing.If we keep silent about our faith we allow fear of rejection to rule,avoiding the reality of discomfort when people don’t understand it, we are not being true witnesses of Christ’s love for us, and the freedom he  brings us from the hold of sin,sickness&death.
b)taking up his cross daily means to follow Christ surrendering our lives to Him each day,his will not ours to follow, allowing Christ to rule in our hearts,not fear, and living as he asks of us whatever the cost to us,loving God and our neighbour in our thoughts& actions, putting others first before ourselves giving God the glory.
c)Jesus is saying following me is to be obedient to living in Jesus way of sacrificial love for others  the only true life of love,the only way to the Father but that it is costly as it leads to being persecuted and rejected by a world that doesn’t accept it, but we have the hope of eternal life in glory to spur us on&Jesus presence in me now through HS to help us. I have known in my darkest moments physically in hospital,the greatest peace and spiritual strength trusting in Jesus.He has the victory and is my rock of peace too.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Inevitable Persecution
  • 3 months later...

Backsliding is the result of not heeding to 2 Timothy 2: 12-13. Contained these two verses are two unfailing laws of human experience: those in Christ will suffer persecution, and evil men and seducers will increase, with increased deception and deceiving others.  Paul's former associates couldn't accept this; they backslid and fell into the errors of Hymenaeus and Philetus.

Self denial is certainly commanded in Luke 9:23-26.  Discipleship will be tested.  Great men and women of God practiced self denial: Abraham, Moses, Samuel, Ezekiel, Widow of Zaraphath, Virgin Mary and the Apostles.  The three young men in the fiery furnace endured the furnace but the Ancient of Days was with them!  Blessed be God for the Holy Trinity in our dispensation!

Luke 14:27 also underscores discipleship being tested.  Despite trials and sufferings, we are to prefer Christ and God to all others, daily follow Christ and bear the Cross daily--++mortification of the flesh.

• 2 months later...

Jesus is talking about persecution when He tells us to take up his cross ... daily. Clearly, anyone who is NOT persecuted is not living the sort of committed life that His sacrifice on the cross demands.

If you are not persecuted, please ask yourself why, for Jesus Himself says you will be persecuted every day. Persecution is not optional, but a consequence of living a committed, Christian life.

Persecution is not a stubbed toe. It's having your livelihood, reputation, future, loved ones, savings and even life threatened by those with coercive power, that is, government bureaucrats or those emboldened by state corruption. Only the government can force you to do things that are wrong. Only the government can make you pay a horrible price for refusing to do evil. Only the government can make you kill in war, in a surgical room, or by withholding life-saving measures. Only the government can freeze your assets because of your political values, particularly if these values are derived from your religious faith. Only the government can threaten you with imprisonment if you don't turn over your kids to them in government-run schools. It was the government that brutally murdered the apostles, the early church believers and countless other Christians. People who want to harm or murder Christians often get the government to do their bidding. Jesus, after all, was murdered by Jews who were influential in the government of His time.

We cannot live our lives without fear any longer -- the golden era of religious freedom and Christian infused values in the culture is over. But ours is a fear tempered by the fact that Jesus will not abandon us as we die, are tortured or falsely imprisoned after being dragged through the court system. We can count on God to pull us through, to be with us, to not let us bear more than we can stand. I wonder, now, if martyred Christians had suffered so greatly that God mercifully "killed" them, bringing them home rather than let them endure more pain on earth.

Why God didn't protect the martyrs and those suffering persecution is a question that deeply troubles me for which I have no answer. How He can be good without intervening to save us ... this question is beyond my mind to comprehend. A good God who is also all-powerful chose His disciples to be murdered. Why?  Is this our fate, too?

It may be. 

--

The DAILY demand of suffering and persecution, the idea that it never ends, is deeply troubling, too. I often ask God for relief and rarely get it. I'd like to have a safe space to go to, a place of peace. This place is heaven. On earth, I suffer and am persecuted -- in heaven, God rules justly. 

The fear of persecution ... the relentlessness of it, is spiritually, physically, and emotionally exhausting. It hinders our "soft witness" because we're too beat down to voice a cheerful, saving gospel. We need His peace and His rest, which takes faith. The "tough witness" or a direct telling of the gospel message is now difficult to do. You must carve out places in which you can witness. If you witness at the workplace, for example, someone who works for you may complain that you selectively promote Christians or make it difficult for nonbelievers to get ahead without feigning faith. Even in the few remaining parts of civil society that are outside, supposedly, the tentacles of our secular government, a Christian parent who puts his children in Christian school and brings them up in the faith can be persecuted. Men and women in the military and the corporate world must be very careful not to "insult" trannies and sexual deviance by talking about the Bible. 

--

I pray that my country goes through another revival and awakening. I pray that all who work for the government or it's proxies are convicted for their part in the grievous persecution of believers at home as well as the wanton, belligerent treatment of people in conflicts that could have settled diplomatically. Although persecution is inevitable -- daily persecution !! -- I pray for the safety and protection of all Christians in the West. I pray that God forgives the people in my country for turning away from Him. I ask, too, for your justice here, on earth, for those who have suffered so greatly from their persecutors. Expose and convict them, Lord. Bring justice.

I pray for revival -- yes, revival, Lord!

Bring seculars to their knees. Protect us. Give us great wisdom in dealing with them. Vindicate us. Prosper us. Give us places, here on earth, where we can fellowship in safety and live in peace. If we must be persecuted, Lord, then let Your presence be felt and known, not only intellectually, but in our hearts.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (2 Timothy 3:10-12) How does a failure to accept the inevitability of persecution hinder our witness?

Everyone who decides to live a godly life "will" be persecuted. It's not something to be ashamed about, but truly a honor. We are called to be imitators of Christ, i.e., love, joy, peace...imitating Christ means setting an example. In fact, in some settings these approaches are not appropriate. No matter what setting you find yourself in, you can show others the face of Christ by how you do your work, treat other people, make decisions, respond to challenges, and behave, period. No one will listen to a so-called Christian that is afraid to own their God. No one will listen to a two-faced Christian, i.e., someone who is ashamed to own God in certain settings. In other words, set a Christ-like example for the people you interact with. 

*Just what does it mean to "take up his cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and to "carry his cross" (Luke 14:27)?

Many people interpret the “cross” to be taken up as some burden they must carry in their lives: a strained relationship, a thankless job, a physical illness, etc.

With self-pitying pride, they look at their difficulty and say, “That’s my cross I have to carry.” 

God seeks “true worshipers [who] will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth” (John 4:23).

Obedience to God. ...

Guard Your Thoughts. ...

Practice Self-Denial. ...

Put on the New Self. ...

Jesus’ call to “take up your cross and follow Me” serves to screen out the disingenuous, double-minded, and dissembling.

Commitment to Christ is the practice of self denial daily. Only if you willingly take up your cross may you be called His disciple (Luke 14:27). The reward is worth the price. 

**Is Jesus talking about persecution -- or something else?

Jesus said, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me” (Mt. 16:24). 

This means a willingness to die for Jesus if faithfulness requires it. These two conditions clear the way to actually follow Jesus — His teaching and example in daily life.

Jesus’s final warnings about persecution and suffering came at the end of His earthly ministry.

In the Upper Room, He told His disciples, “Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you” (John 15:20). 

How does a failure to accept the inevitability of persecution hinder our witness?

We tend to shy away from confrontation and isolation from those people we would like to engage with.

Just what does it mean to "take up his cross daily" mean and to "carry his cross".  

We cannot deny the truth of the Gospel and if this, indeed leads to persecution, accept the results of being an active Christian.

If we keep quiet over our faith , no one would hear the name of Jesus being proclaimed..Jesus said , if we are ashamed of Him, He would be ashamed of us when He comes.

Taking up our cross is to follow Jesus  daily and  accept all consequences as Jesus did and won the victory over satan.It is dying to self and living the life of Christ in us not our flesh anymore . 

Q4. If we don’t accept the inevitability of persecution, it means we don’t understand Scripture. Jesus was persecuted and if we are His followers we will be also just as He told us in His Word. If we are not persecuted it means we must be hiding the fact that we are a Christian and staying quiet if anything controversial is discussed. This attitude and actions will weaken our witness before nonbelievers.

To take up our cross means to face all the difficulties daily that being a Christian entails. If we are true followers we will be prepared to face whatever comes our way. I’m not saying it will be easy but we know we are following in the footsteps of Jesus. We know that no matter how difficult that might be the Holy Spirit will be with us to equip us as needed. I think Jesus is referring to persecution in one form or another. In the West we don’t really know what persecution is like for other brothers and sisters in other countries, but it is only a matter of time before things become more difficult. If this country at the moment the government are trying to bring in a law to permit ‘assisted dying’, they have already legalised abortion and gay ‘ marriage’! If you say anything against any of these things you are made to feel you are bigoted, out of touch, old fashioned, . As time goes on it will become harder and harder to have a say in such matters. 

A failure to accept the inevitability of persecution  will cause us to remain silent about our faith for fear of persecution.

We may not have to carry a cross like Jesus did but we will endure affliction, trials, and persecution on a daily, which we must cheerfully receive and patiently bear.  As followers of Christ we are to deny worldly advantages, and patiently bear every affliction, evil, persecution we are called to, and even death with a resignation to the will of God in imitation of Jesus Christ.  

While our persecutions may not be like Jesus' as Christians we are called to bear and must bear persecution if we are to follow Christ.

Q4. (2 Timothy 3:10-12)

How does a failure to accept the inevitability of persecution hinder our witness?

JESUS ha said that we will be persecuted for HIS WORD, so have to be ready to take on the full amour of the the WORD and stand firm against persecution. 

Just what does it mean to "take up his cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and to "carry his cross" (Luke 14:27)?

Everything that HE have instructed us to do, DO IT!!! and do it with passion.

Is Jesus talking about persecution -- or something else?

You have to make the GOSPLE of CHRIST JESUS your own, you must embrace it, it is an individual act. no one can walk this road for you. 

Q4. (2 Timothy 3:10-12) How does a failure to accept the inevitability of persecution hinder our witness?

ANSWER: God allows persecution; the Scripture says that we can expect persecution if we are truly following Christ; persecution can build the Church and strengthen our own Christian character. But that does not mean we ought to be afraid to truly try to eliminate persecution. We will never completely succeed because persecution is inevitable in a sinful world, where there are many who are enemies of Christ. But it is only impossible because this is a sinful world.

Persecution is inevitable only in the same sense that disease, famine, and human trafficking are inevitable. And although, like all those things, God can use it for good, we still have a responsibility to stop it if we can.

If God has put barriers in our path, then perhaps it is because he is using persecution to strengthen and sanctify the church in that instance; whatever the case is, we are simply called to serve, helping the persecuted in every way possible and being there for them.

Just what does it mean to "take up His cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and to "carry His cross" (Luke 14:27)?

ANSWER: To take up one's cross meant to die. It could mean physically but it also means “to die to self” or self-denial. Taking up your cross daily leads to transformation. You won't always be the same person you are today. As you are cleansed from the sin in your nature, the fruits of the Spirit come in its place. Rather than being quick to judge and critical, or grumpy and downcast, you can radiate love and kindness and gentleness.

Here are 5 ways to accept your daily cross, in order to follow in the footsteps of Christ:

1. Obedience to God: Taking up our cross means putting aside our selfish desires, and following God’s will for our lives. We find our life’s fulfillment, contentment (even in trials), and unspeakable joy.

2. Guard Your Thoughts: When unpleasant, dissatisfied, grumbling, critical thoughts enter our minds, we have a choice. Denying these thought processes; refusing to give in to them, is a way to take up your cross.

3. Practice Self-Denial: When we deny self, we make the choice to replace our desires, thoughts, and plans with God’s thoughts and purposes. We live our lives centered on considering others first before ourselves.

4. Put on the New Self: We need to stop lying to one another, and take up our daily cross and show Christ’s love by avoiding sin or “put to death” those sins which so easily beset us.

5. Pray for the Strength to Carry Your Daily Cross: We are to take time to pray with Christ. The Cross depict humiliation, suffering, and sacrifice that Christ took on willingly for the sake of our salvation.

Here is a list of ways we can live for Jesus in our daily lives:

• Show compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, forgiveness.
  • Choose (it’s a choice we can make) the peace of Jesus to rule your heart, not conflict, fear, jealousy, etc.
  • Be thankful. Make gratitude a priority and a daily practice and watch your focus turn towards the many blessings we receive.
  • Let the word of Christ “dwell in you richly”, completely fill your lives. We have so many more opportunities to dwell in His Word. Paul and the early Christians had no New Testaments to read from as we do, so they retold the stories, sang them in songs, prayed together and shared their wisdom.

Your Cross Is Meant to Bring You Down: A cross is a cross, be it wooden or spiritual. What is your cross? It is any burden or pressure that threatens to break you down.  God knows also that not one of His children can carry the cross they take up when following Christ. We so much want to be good disciples; we so much want to deny ourselves and take the cross upon ourselves; we seem to forget that same cross will one day bring us to the end of our human strength and endurance. Would Jesus purposely ask us to take up a cross that He knows will sap all our human energies and leave us lying helpless; even to the point of giving up? Absolutely yes! Jesus forewarns us, "Without me ye can do nothing" (John 15:5). So He asks us to take up our cross, struggle on with it, until we learn that lesson. Not until our cross pushes us down into the dust do we learn the lesson that it is not by our might or power or strength, but by His power. That is what the Bible means when it says His strength is made perfect in our weakness. It means that God's way is the only way; His strength the only hope.

Is Jesus talking about persecution or something else?

ANSWER: I believe Jesus is talking about persecution. By allowing persecution to produce faith and joy in our lives is just one example of His grace to us. We praise God that He has given us salvation and also strength to face each trial/persecution.

A4.

The fear of persecution hinders or limits many people including me from witnessing for Christ as much as we ought to do. Consequently, we thus limit ourselves from spreading Good news for salvation as much as we should do.

So help me Lord to take your Great Commission more serious than ever.

What happens is that when such a person doesn't face the reality of persecutions and sufferings; they eventually get into the "Laocidean frame of mind".   In other words, lack of diligent dedication to the ministry will lead to lukewarmness.  

Abandonment to the will of God.  Lack of such resignation to the will of God will lead to bitterness and discouragement.  Apostle Paul was centered on Christ totally;  the depth of his love for the Lord and his apostolic calling were very profound.  No matter how things turned out, Paul endured all sufferings, disappointments, prison and beatings--all for the Glory of God.

Christ beckons to take up our crosses:  we have been baptized into Christ, we have put on Christ.   We live for Christ; we are in a constant state of being reformed.  We have the Mind of Christ; no more serving the world, the flesh and the devil.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (2 TIMOTHY 3:10-12) 
How does a failure to accept the inevitability of persecution hinder our witness? Just what does it mean to "take up His cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and to "carry His cross" (Luke 14:27)? Is Jesus talking about persecution - or something else? 
Persecution is an integral part of a devout Christian life. When we are called upon to go through deep waters, we might be tempted to think that we have failed the Lord or that the Lord is displeased with us for some reason. However, we must remember that persecution is inevitable for all of us who desire to live in a godly manner. Our godly life exposes the wickedness of others, and instead of repenting of their ungodliness and turning to Christ, they seek to destroy the one who has shown them up for what they really are. For this reason, we are often persecuted. A basic condition of taking up His cross daily is to deny self. This involves a completely new way of life; no more living for our own selfish interests, but living a life for the sake of Jesus and the gospel. We recognise His Lordship in every area of our life – we live to serve His purposes. It means to identify with Christ in His rejection, shame, suffering, and death. It’s a sign of suffering, a sign of rejection by the world, and a sign of obedience to God. To “carry His cross” means that in following Jesus Christ we deliberately choose to live the life He lived. We do this by recognising His lordship in every area of our life, and we die spiritually to self and the things of this world. This involves us loving Jesus supremely, perhaps forsaking family, a complete dependence on God and obedience to the Holy Spirit, maybe even becoming unpopular and hated, suffering for righteousness' sake, and living an unselfish life for others. We live to glorify our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. It also signifies a willingness to actually die for the name of Christ if need be. We are to seek His kingdom and His righteousness yielding ourselves unreservedly to Him. This involves laying hold of life that is life indeed! It also means finding at last the reason for our existence. 

If you don’t accept the inevitability of persecution, it will make you weak. You will not be able to spread the word about Jesus Christ. To “take up his cross daily” means that when ever you are persecuted you will be will to take it and speak up. I think that Jesus talking about persecution and following Him.