JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Essential Attitudes for Unity

:D Praise the Lord Saints!

What Characteristics? Attitude?

We are to be completely humble. Not thinking that we are more than or better than others. We are to exemplify humility as Christ did. We should do all to glorify Juses rather than to glorify ourselves. When we are humble we are not so heavenly board that we are no earthly good as the Pharisees were. We are to be gentle and kind. If you are humble, gentleness really just falls in with that. We will treat people with considerateness. We will be concerned out them rather than about ourselves. We are to be patient, bearing one another in love. In otherwords, we are to put up with each other, in love, just as God has put up with us in love. He did send His son to the cross for us.

Importance?

I personally think all are important. If I had to choose I would say humility because God hates a proudful spirit. I really do believe that if we walk in humility as Christ walked in humility, the rest will fall in line. Once we conquer ourselves, then there is room for others to come in.

Difficult? :(

I would have to say being patient and forebearance, coated with love. It is hard for some of us to put up with other peoples issues. We just don't want to deal with them. We want to write them off with even remember how God was and is patient with us and most definately forebearing. Only God could deal with us in our natural self. We haven't grasped the fact that love really does cover a multitude of sins. The love of God is an unconditional love and we can't have that in ourselves. It is only through allowing the Holy Spirit to have free reign in our lives that we can accomplish this.

:wub:

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Question 2

(Ephesians 4:2) What charateristics or attitudes are necessary for maintaining unity with other christains according to verse 2? Which of these do you think is most important? Which is most difficult?

2a

Humility,Gentleness,Courtesy,Considerateness,Meekness,Patience,Forbearance and Love.

2b

Love

2c

Love(Agape)

• 3 months later...

Q2. (Ephesians 4:2) What characteristics or attitudes are necessary for maintaining unity with other Christians according to verse 2?

Humility, Gentleness, Patience, Forbearance, and Love. All of these are necessary for maintaining unity with others.

Which of these do you think is most important?

I think love is the most important one. If you can

• 2 weeks later...

The characteristics that are necessary for maintain unity with other Christians are humility, gentleness, patience bearing with one another in love. These can only be maintained by GOD's Holy Spirit.

Love is the most important of all of these, I Corinthians 13:13.

For me humility is the most difficult.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Humility and gentleness, patience and tolerance, and love are the most important requirements for Christian unity. Love is the most important character amongest all as it is also the reflection of God Himself is Godly and it is of God. It is also the most difficult one to develop as it requires the giving away of self and the denial of the flesh.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We are called as Christians to be humble or humility and have gentleness, to be patience, to endure, to put up with one another and above all to have Love , it is Love that binds all these

• 5 months later...

Our attitudes should be of complete humbleness. To me that means knowing we can't...but God can. It means I esteem others as more important than myself and that I serve no matter where God has placed me or what He has asked me to do for a time. We are to be gentle, no matter what our "mood' for the day is. We act kindly towards each other even under duress. We are to be patient, waiting on God's timing and allowing others to be first, while we are last. We are to bear with one another in love. We realize the grace we have received into our lives in all of our sinfulness and we extend grace and mercy to others in their imperfections. Even if we feel very, very hurt and slapped down, we choose to love and get up again with perseverance and long suffering. We know we are just as imperfect as the one who has hurt us.

We try to find a common ground with each other in times of disagreement or hurt. We respect each other and pray for each other in times of doubt.

We address issues in truth and love. Never one without the other and always to restore unity and fellowship.

Which is most important? Jesus said it is love. He gave two commandments. To love God above all things and to love our neighbor as ourselves. Paul continued the teaching at Corinth. " These three remain, faith, hope and love and the greatest of these is love." I think bearing with each other in love is the most important and the most difficult. We see what love is in 1 Corinthians 13:4-13. That seems impossible to aquire all those attributes in ones life towards others....but we do have the power of Christ at work within us. All things are possible through Him.

If we ask and seek Him everyday and allow Him to fill us as vessels for Kingdom purposes....He can do a mighty work in and through us!

What characteristics or attitudes are necessary for maintaining unity with other Christians according to verse 2? Which of these do you think is most important? Which is most difficult?

The characteristics necessary to maintain unity with other Christians are humility, gentleness, patience, forbearance and love: all Chrsitlike qualities. I would say that the most important is love, because it embraces the other qualities because each requires you to take into account someone else's feelings and wishes in prority to your own. This is the most difficult thing. We are so impatient and so sure that we are right. We do not listen and we do not defer to others as we should. We are told to act so that unity is achieved and we sow dissension.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Q2. (Ephesians 4:2) What characteristics or attitudes are necessary for maintaining unity with other Christians according to verse 2? Which of these do you think is most important? Which is most difficult? Exposition

Humility, gentleness,patience, forbearance, love. The most important is Love. Without love you will not have any of the other attitudes. I personally think that love is the hardest. Humans are sometimes difficult to love. It is not human nature to love but it is mans nature to look out for self. When hurt feelings come into play,(and they always do) life can be difficult at best. I can do all things through Christ. I often have to pray for God to baptize me with a double portion of love.

• 5 months later...

Q2. (Ephesians 4:2) What characteristics or attitudes are necessary for maintaining unity with other Christians according to verse 2?

The characteristics or attitudes that are necessary for maintaining unity with other Christians are humility, gentleness, patience, forbearance and love.

Which of these do you think is most important?

Of all the characteristic the most important is Love.

Which is most difficult?

In my opinion the most differcult is patience.

• 4 months later...

Q2. (Ephesians 4:2) What characteristics or attitudes are necessary for maintaining unity with other Christians according to verse 2? Which of these do you think is most important? Which is most difficult?

In order to maintian unity with other Christians we must have an attitude of humility and gentleness, patience, and love for one another.

Love is the most important, because out of love everything other characteristic flows. Love is also the most difficult, because oftentimes we are more in love with ourselves than with others. Our selfishness and narrow-mindedness often oppresses our love for others. However, God said to love others as ourselves and Jesus reiterated it. For out of this law or command all the other commandants are based. Love is the basis for all things.

• 4 months later...

What charateristics or attitudes are necessary for maintaining unity with other Christians according to verse 2?? Which of these do you think is most important? Which is most difficult?

Lowliness and gentleness with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond or peace.

The most important is bearing with one another in love. Most difficult, lowliness and gentleness with longsuffering.

• 3 weeks later...

To maintain unity we are required to be humble, gentle and patient which are integral to manifest God's love. To be humble is of the most importance and for me, the most difficult to obtain.

The essentials for maintaining unity in the church are: humility, gentleness, openness, patience, forbearance and agape love. All are important because different people, different situations and different styles of church will require different degrees and approaches. They are equally difficult when we are fighting or ignoring what the Spirit would have us to do.

We have to be careful not to fall into false doctrine, false teaching, a wolves den, or any other thing not in alignment with God. We sometimes try so hard to be like Jesus and forgive or turn the other cheek, or try to love someone into heaven that we negate God's counsel and wisdom. These essentials come into practice as we become more in tune with the will of God, and most importantly in all things we must be careful to pray and ask God how to respond. Any of these essentials can become potential idols, stumbling blocks or personal badges of honor if God is not the center of the glory.

• 1 year later...
Q2. (Ephesians 4:2) What characteristics or attitudes are necessary for maintaining unity with other Christians according to verse 2? Which of these do you think is most important? Which is most difficult? Exposition

-Truly loving, and living as though you love, your brothers & sisters

-Patience

-Patience

What characteristics or attitudes are necessary for maintaining unity with other Christians according to verse 2?

In Ephesians 4:2 Paul is telling use to be completely humble and gentle, to be patient and bearing with one another in love. In the study each of the key concepts: humility, gentleness, patience, forbearance, and love were detailed.

• Humility is the opposite of pride. Often a local church may feel that it is better than another church group. But we must be humble.
  • Gentleness or meekness is closely related to humility in the Greek. Here Paul is trying to tell us to not have a sense of superiority but to be of gentle spirit.
  • Patience is being long suffering. We need to realize that everyone may not be at the same place in their spiritual walk.
  • Forbearance is closely related to patience in the Greek. Here can be translated as tolerance. While we need to stick with the truth, we must not be intolerant to fellow believers.
  • Love used here is Agape love. This love brings about all the ideas formerly spoken of. (defined in 1 Corinthians 13)
Which of these do you think is most important? Which is most difficult?

I'm not sure if anyone in particular is more important than another. To me if we bear everything in love, meaning Agape love, then we would be humble, gentle, patience, and tolerant. However, people are people. It is only through the Spirit that these fruits can manifest themselves. Each member may be dealing with his or her own area of problem, so one or the other may "difficult" for one person and not "difficult" for another.

• 1 year later...

2a) It takes the power of God to keep anyone Humble... and patient... and forebearing. I used to think I was more humble than I was, but know now better..it takes the Strength of God to keep me in the way of being humble; able to forebear... especially when tested so I don't lose patience. Having an attitude of humility, putting our agape love & care for others foremost in our actions is important. Being patient with others not allowing any disagreements we may have develop resentments in us is only possible with God. It's also impt to strive to maintain unity by focusing on what we have in common in Christ B) b)Relying of God for humility & forbearance most important I think personally. c)I know I can not always be as patient as I should, so is more difficult,but it is very important, so will keep working at it!. :)

• 3 weeks later...

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."

Most important is love. Love IS all the others.

What is most difficult? Love.

With God's grace and help....and with prayer....we can grow!

• 1 month later...