JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Jesus Is God in the Flesh

It is important because true believers will confess the full reality that Jesus is both fully man and fully God. Jesus Christ is to be confessed as the Son of God, the eternal life and Word, that was with the Father from the beginning. As the Son of God that came into and came in our human mortal nature, and therein suffered and died at Jerusalem. Satan doesn't want us to believe it because it is the Word of God and it is truth. He opposes God's Spirit and his truth. Every departure from Biblical revelation concerning Christ opens itself up to demonic spirits of deception because it sets anside the authority and complete trustworthiness of God's Word. For my Christian life, I know the Word is true. I know Jesus was man and God, I know that if it wasn't so, I would not have the peace, joy, and the Holy Spirit

living in me. I could not have come through the battles I have been through if it wasn't for our Lord and Savior.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus can relate to humanity in a human body like ours and still maintain His deity; no one else can do that. The significance to the cross and resurrection is Jesus is the “Seed” of the woman who crushed Satan’s head bringing redemption to humanity. His death on the cross and resurrection from the grave satisfied all the requirement of the sacrificial systems in the Old Testament bring us back into relationship with a Holy God. Jesus gave His life for humanity. The significance for my Christian life is Jesus paid the price for my sins, saving me from a life of emptiness and darkness. His work here on earth in a human body like mine while maintaining His deity gives me the promise of an everlasting life with Him in the Kingdom of God, and that I will be like Him.

• 11 months later...

Q1. (1 John 4:1-3) Why is believing that Jesus was God in the flesh so important? Why doesn't Satan want us to believe that? What are the implications of the fact that Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours? What significance does it bring to the crucifixion and to the resurrection? What is the significance for your Christian life?

It is not so much the confession of the historical fact, namely that Jesus was born into the world in a human body, but rather it is the confession of a living Person, Jesus Christ come in the flesh. It is the confession that acknowledges Jesus as the Christ Incarnate. Confessing Him means bowing to Him as Lord of one's life. The signifcance is that Jesus Christ living out his divine life in human body, crucifixion, and resurrection fulfills Biblical prophecy regarding the Messiah. See Isa. 53.

Satan wants us to worship him and not the Lord Jesus Christ. There are many today who are willing to say acceptable things about Jesus, but they will not confess Him as God Incarnate. They will say that Christ is "divine," but not that He is God.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (1 John 4:1-3) Why is believing that Jesus was God in the flesh so important?

Only God the Son could have died to redeem us. While sin entered the world through the actions of one man, it would take Divine intervention to conquer sin. Not a human being upon whom God bestowed His Spirit, but God's own SON! God Himself, in a way we can't fully comprehend paid the penalty in full for our sins. I've written about this before, about the Holiness of God. God's very Holiness demanded a blood sacrifice for the remission of sin. Scripture tells us that the blood of animals can never fully take away sins. The only complete permanent solution to sin was to provide a way for us to become dead to sin and alive in Christ. We share in Jesus' baptism and therefore share in His eternal life.

Jesus in a miraculous way was born of a human woman, conceived of the Holy Spirit, and lived a sinless life. The time when He was baptized by John and they saw the spirit descend upon Him was just an outward sign for those present. He had been God in the flesh prior to that baptism. Jesus was not just a pious man who was selected to become the Messiah. In the Old Testament we see many pious men who were annointed by God's Holy Spirit. But they were still men; they were still not able to do what Jesus did and take away the sins of the world. If Jesus had just been an ordinary man and not God in the flesh, he would have been just another miracle working prophet. Sadly the Jews believe that to be the case even today. The very fact that Jesus rose from death to lead the way to eternal life is due to His being divine from birth to his human death. That is the fundamental core of true Christian doctrine. To believe anything else is heresy.

Why doesn't Satan want us to believe that?

Because our faith would be flawed and we then wouldn't know Jesus as we ought. If Satan can deceive people into believing a false doctrine he can prevent us from knowing the fullness of God and the full forgiveness that being one in Christ delivers.

What are the implications of the fact that Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours?

The main implication is that Jesus set us a sinless example to follow. He who was without sin was made sin for us! If Jesus hadn't led a sinless life in the flesh, He couldn't have been the perfect sacrifice He came into the world to be. That was His life's work! If Jesus had been only a man upon whom God bestowed His Spirit, he couldn't have been our redeemer. The best he could have been was another scapegoat, a temporary sacrifice. No, Jesus was born as the begotten Son of the eternal God and lived a fully human life in the flesh.

What significance does it bring to the crucifixion and to the resurrection?

The most significant thing about the crucifixion and the resurrection is that it was God the Son who was crucified and raised to life again, not just some guy. By rising from death Jesus conquered death and Satan and every enemy of God in the spiritual realm. That death could not hold Him means that it can't hold US if we abide in Him. Praise God.

What is the significance for your Christian life?

It means that the Holy Spirit inside me is there because God the Son paid the price to put Him there. This study has been a real eye opener for me. I've read John's letters many times and failed to fully understand them . . . until I read this lesson!

• 8 months later...

I think that is important that we believe that Jesus was from God in the flesh is because that shows us God’s love. It is also important to know that that Jesus died for our sins and that not even the animal sacrifices could do that for us. We need to have the gap filled for us to cross over from this body to eternity.

Satan wants us for his own but we know that Jesus died for our sins then Satan can’t have us.

The implications of the fact that Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours is that we know the he knows what we are going through. He was tempted like we are but He did not give into sin and that is important.

• 1 month later...

1a)Believing that Jesus is the Holy One, God in flesh is pivotal for us,it is only through His divinity,is He able to make the perfect,atoning sacrifice for the forgiveness of our sins,.It is only believing in Jesus,that He was sent by the Father as a baby incarnate Christ,to died for us on cross,our redeemer& recognising that God raised him from dead,that we are saved,receive His Spirit in us&have eternal life for ever.confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead [so that] you will be saved" (Romans 10:9)

b)Satan wants to confuse us,by allowing the spirit of the antichrist to rule above God in our hearts and minds&lead us away from the true incarnate God&,His promises for us of salvation,cleansing, forgiveness and grace when we seek to follow each day.

c)Knowing he submitted to the Holy Spirit,&trusting in this power,He was able to overcome temptation,suffering, bereavements, persecution,hunger,abuse,sorrow,challeges in leadership, and death,we can have hope&trust in same Holy Spirit whose seed dwells within a believer to help us overcome our own trials and testing times.We can pray to divine Christ knowing he has experienced our pain as well as the joy and happiness in life too.He is not therefore disconnected from our human experiences,but understands more than anyone else in the world.He knows us better than we know ourselves.

d)The significance means that God gave the ultimate sacrifice, allowing his only true Son to die in our place on cross and showed through His resurrection from the tomb his divine victory over satan’s power.

e)The resurrection is fundamental to my belief,without it faith is meaningless, and sets Jesus apart from false teachers,&antichrist” spiritual healers” giving people false hopes.Jesus is the only true way.Resurrection assures me Jesus has been victorious over sin and death,our relationship with our Father is restored,&he is coming back again,when I can look forward to a new resurrection illness free body transformed by His power when I see God face to faceRev22:4.

• 4 months later...

The very basis of incarnation that we celebrate at Christmas is Jesus is God in the flesh and is until the cross.  He came to earth as an infant and grew and experienced and walked with us.  He knew us but now he KNOWS us.  Satan does not want us to believe anything positive about Jesus.  He is the direct opposite.  Everything good about Jesus, Satan is everything bad.  Jesus living out his 30 some years in human form tells me he really knows the temptations and all of the feelings we have.  The significance of the crucifixion and the resurrection is that he was human yet chose to take on all of our sins and die and yet show us that he loved us so much we were forgiven and can have eternal life if we receive him in our hearts.  This is the basis of my religion and my belief

• 6 months later...

If we don't believe that Jesus was God in the flesh, then everything He did and said was a lie, and the crucifixion was for nothing. If we don't believe that Jesus was God in the flesh, then satan has won because then all of us are doomed to eternity in hell. The implications of Jesus living out His life as a human is that He experienced all the things we do so He can relate to us, even though He did not sin. The significance of Jesus being God incarnate is staggering. God sacrificed greatly for us. His love for us is so great that He CHOSE to die for us, and then to give us hope, and a bridge to God that we didn't have before.

• 1 year later...

Why is believing that Jesus was God in the flesh so important? Why doesn't Satan want us to believe that? What are the implications of the fact that Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours? What significance does it bring to the crucifixion and to the resurrection? What is the significance for your Christian life?

Jesus had to be flesh to fulfil the law and live a perfect, sinless life.  He also had to die.  Satan would not want us to believe that because he would like for us to doubt that Jesus filfilled the law for us.   He became vulnerable to suffering and to death.   He put Himself where he was among us, felt what it was like to be human, to be tempted, etc. and was victorious.  He  became one of us and we can follow Him through life and through death and into resurrection.

• 9 months later...

Why is believing that Jesus was God in the flesh so important?

Because that is what the Bible says is true and because it is in the Bible it is important. That is all the reason I need. It was prophesied many times in the OT that God would come in that form. Though I still have a problem of grasping the thing about sacrifice for atonement it was in the manner that Jesus authenticated the fact that He was sacrificed for the sins of the world.

The easiest answer here is the fact that Satan does not want us to believe anything that is true because it voids him of his power seeing as everything about him is a lie.

What are the implications of the fact that Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours?

It was His way of proving to mankind that it is possible to live a sinless life like He expects us to do.                  

The significance I see out of all of this is the fact that even though Jesus said to be perfect even as He is there is yet to be a time I have not fell far short of the glory, yet Jesus is always there to catch me and put me back on my feet, regardless of how much or how little the fall is.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (1 John 4:1-3) 
Why is believing that Jesus was God in the flesh so important? 
What are the implications of the fact that Jesus could live out His divine life in a human body like ours? 

It is most important for us to believe that Jesus was God in the flesh. In John 1:14 we read: “The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.” This is probably one of the Bible’s greatest verses about the incarnation - The Word (God the Son) became flesh (human). J. I. Packer wrote, “The incarnation (embodied in flash) is in itself an unfathomable mystery, but it makes sense of everything else that the New Testament contains.” If we do not believe this, we are denying Jesus as the perfect teacher, the perfect example, and of course the perfect sacrifice. If this was not so, there was no blood shed on the Cross, and therefore no salvation – making the whole system of redemption a lie!
To deny that Jesus is true God and at the same time true man is to deny the Christian faith. To deny either Jesus’ deity or His humanity is to deny that He is our Saviour. If He were not God, He would have been a sinner and His death on the cross could not have atoned for anything beyond His own sins. If He were not man, He could not have assumed our sins on the Cross (Heb. 2:14-17). Therefore, any faith in Him to save us from sin would be worthless. We can now say that any teaching that denies that Jesus is true God and true man, that as the second person of the trinity, Jesus took on human flesh in the incarnation, is a doctrine of demons – it is the spirit of antichrist. The death of the body of Christ was necessary to pay for our sins. If this did not happen, then our salvation is null and void. Satan wants us to deny the humanity of Jesus Christ, by doing this we lose our salvation. The belief about Jesus being the incarnate Son of God is the whole basis of our Christian faith. Jesus took on humanity that He might die with all our sins; He gave His life that we might have life. 

• 1 month later...

Q1. (1 John 4:1-3)

Q. Why is believing that Jesus was God in the flesh so important?

A. Because the principle is the foundation of the Christian faith. To deny it is to deny Christ.

Q. Why doesn't Satan want us to believe that?

A. To rob us of our salvation

Q. What are the implications of the fact that Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours? What significance does it bring to the crucifixion and to the resurrection?

A. This enabled Him as God to live amongst men and be able to die and shed His blood for the cleansing of our sin resulting in our salvation. 

Q. What is the significance for your Christian life?

A. The God that came as man to live and die for me led to my salvation and thus I am reconciled to God and have eternal life

• 3 years later...

Q1. (1 John 4:1-3) Why is believing that Jesus was God in the flesh so important? Why doesn't Satan want us to believe that? What are the implications of the fact that Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours? What significance does it bring to the crucifixion and to the resurrection? What is the significance for your Christian life?

Having the knowledge that God was in human form, flesh and blood, just like us , BUT completely faultless, and pure and holy, unlike any other human on earth makes it very important to understand that it can only be God who can accomplish this in a fleshly body.

Satan would always want us to believe everything but the truth, and if he knows we doubt that God, through his Son Jesus, was in human form, or even not the same and one person he will win because it is fundamental to our belief that Jesus was resurrected in 3 days, and death was defeated.

The significance is that Jesus had all the similar environment, challenges, and temptations, we have on earth, BUT he overcome every single one of them. This means that when Jesus was crucified he died because of the trauma to his human body, as it should happen, BUT then the miracle, and awesome reality of Him rising again makes us understand that not one but God alone can do this.

This gives every Christian the reassurance and hope, and knowledge of what is waiting for us at the end of the line. Jesus was the firstborn of the dead and we as believers will follow in this resurrection as it is a promise to us who accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour, and are born again in Him. Thank you Jesus!

• 2 months later...

Why is believing that Jesus was God in the flesh so important? Why doesn't Satan want us to believe that? What are the implications of the fact that Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours? What significance does it bring to the crucifixion and to the resurrection? What is the significance for your Christian life?

I just wrote about this yesterday -- this is more than coincidental! One of the downstream effects of separating flesh from spirit is the utter confusion it makes in unrelated ideas.  For example, God's permissive will v His perfect will, an idea that splits God's will into a lesser (fleshy or compromised) and higher (spiritual and pure).

It's almost impossible for me to conceptualize the dual nature of Jesus. I'm not alone. Most historians distinguish between the "Christ of faith and the Jesus of history" or something similar. At root, they do this because they can't grapple with Jesus' humanity. Perhaps this is Satan at work ... perhaps it's just our own intellectual limitation -- the cause matters not.

If Jesus could live a holy life in human skin, so can we to the extent we are like Him. I guess this means that human perfectibility is possible, though never achieved. The "holiness" movement, Wesley et. al., centred around the idea that we're called to perfection, nothing less.  This doesn't resonate with my experience, as I'm anything but holy; still, I struggle toward a goal that's far off.

Regarding the crucifixion and resurrection -- these would be meaningless if Jesus wasn't truly human. To be crucified is to suffer as a human: to be resurrected is to defy human death. Without a body, a real fleshly body, Jesus couldn't have suffered, died and been resurrected.

I'm having problems thinking of ways Jesus' flesh is significant in my own life. Intellectually, it's a challenge, but spiritually, I don't know ...  "Lord, help me understand this."

Just an FYI:   https://kristenburroughs.com/?p=3288

• 6 months later...

(1 John 4:1-3) Why is believing that Jesus was God in the flesh so important?   What are the implications of the fact that Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours? What significance does it bring to the crucifixion and to the resurrection?

Knowing that Jesus was God in the flesh is the singular basis for our faith.  God sent his Son, using Mary to give birth, to experience the world as a human being, not as a divine deity.  As a man, he could experience the wants, needs, and sinfulness that tempt man every day of his life.  Though sinless in life, Jesus was still bombarded by temptation as much as each one of us is in our current lives (see the 40 days in the wilderness as one of the first examples of his temptation).

If Jesus was not completely human, his cruel death and glorious resurrection would not allow him to be the firstborn of God’s eternal Kingdom.  It says that we are not going to receive eternal life because Jesus’ story is not truth (Note: I believe that Jesus was human, he lived as men do, and he died that horrible death so that my sins are paid for, redeemed with his blood).

Why doesn't Satan want us to believe that?  What is the significance for your Christian life?

He wants us to become non-believers, thereby revoking our faith. Without the core of our faith in place, we are no longer eligible for eternal life. Satan gets our soul for himself and wins one from God. That means we are to spend eternity in hell, because we allowed our faith to waver.