JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Jesus Is God in the Flesh

Q1. (1 John 4:1-3) Why is believing that Jesus was God in the flesh so important? Why doesn't Satan want us to believe that? What are the implications of the fact that Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours? What significance does it bring to the crucifixion and to the resurrection? What is the significance for your Christian life?

1Jn 4:1 My dear friends, do not believe all who claim to have the Spirit, but test them to find out if the spirit they have comes from God. For many false prophets have gone out everywhere.

1Jn 4:2 This is how you will be able to know whether it is God's Spirit: anyone who acknowledges that Jesus Christ came as a human being has the Spirit who comes from God.

1Jn 4:3 But anyone who denies this about Jesus does not have the Spirit from God. The spirit that he has is from the Enemy of Christ; you heard that it would come, and now it is here in the world already.

To begin with that is who Jesus claimed to be therefore if it is not so then he is either very deluded or a liar. Sins can only be forgiven with the sacrifice of blood of the sinless. Jesus who was fully man while He was here was sinless even though He was tempted as we are. He had all the same needs as we do but He fully followed what His Father told Him to do. He lived His life completely without sin. Satan would not want us to either believe or understand that concept as He wants us to believe that there is not one who can live a sinless life. If Jesus kept fully His divinity while here on earth He could not have been tempted or He would not have been something we can strive for...we cant strive to be a god but we can strive to be the sinless person of Jesus. Satan wins points when he deludes us to who Jesus was and is. This is very important in both the crucifixion and the resurrection. If Jesus was not fully man could He die...can God die...and also what would be the reasoning for God who is perfect and never can sin dying for us. Jesus had the capacity to sin but He choose not to. Since God can't die then the resurrection would have no meaning...Jesus actually died...and rose from death...it is appointed for all men to die once...but Jesus beat death coming back to life and returning to where He came from...in the glorified body. For us we now can stive to be "like" our Lord Jesus. He was human, with our wants and desires. He knows every feeling we go through and can understand what we are going through. But even with that said He did not sin...so if we took captive of our thoughts minute by minute ...second by second...could we not be sinless. I have a God who knows what I am going through I know I can go to him with all my concerns no matter how small and know that He will understand.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1 John 4:1-3) Why is believing that Jesus was God in the flesh so important? Why doesn't Satan want us to believe that? What are the implications of the fact that Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours? What significance does it bring to the crucifixion and to the resurrection? What is the significance for your Christian life?

It is critical that we believe that Jesus was God in the flesh because if we do, we will be saved and spend eternity with Him. Satan doesn't want us to believe that because there is a battle between good and evil and satan doesn't want anyone to believe in Jesus because he is evil. Jesus lived on earth without sin and satan does not want us to believe in Jesus because he wants to win the battle of good and evil. If there was no crucifiction, then there would be no way for us to be saved and satan would win the battle. In God's word, He says that Jesus won the final victory and that makes satan mad. He knows how much time he has left and he tries to get as many souls as he can.

The significance for my Christian life is that I want more of Jesus and want to spend eternity with Him. In order for me to do that, I must be obedient to God through prayer, praise and fellowship with other Christians and spread the good news of the Gospel.

Believing that Jesus was God is important because that was basis for distinguishiong betwin the Spirit of God and of satan. False teachers taught that Jesus as God could not carry our sin to cross. John is however teaching us that Jesus was God from conception, birth, the cross up to resurrection.

Believing that Jesus is God in the flesh is important because the Word says so! God, Emmanuel means God with us. Jesus came as one of us, to fulfill both justice and mercy. He had to pay for our sin and though He did not sin, sin was placed upon Him. He has empathy for everything we go through in this life as He experienced life on earth Himself. In the end, I believe, as He cried out "My God, my God, Why have You forsaken me?" that Jesus experienced the pain of all sin and the excrutiating desperate darkness of being separated from God. Therefore, He can be our great High Priest, interceding for us with understanding because He experienced and shared in with us, all we experience. He had to become man to do that and yet is God too as the only incarnate son of God. Satan doesn't want us to believe this, because He wants us to think there is a separation between us and God and that God is removed from us, not understanding our pain and afflictions and is trying to make us give up hope in our trials and sin. But in our Christian walk, we as believers, know that Satan is a liar and that through Jesus, our sins have been overcome and through each struggle or backsliding, our hope is in Him, who died for us and is constantly pleading His blood for us!

Q1. (1 John 4:1-3) Why is believing that Jesus was God in the flesh so important? Because unless Jesus became flesh, most of what Christians believe is simply not true or is irrelevant to the plight of mankind. First of all, He had to become flesh in order to take the sins of mankind upon himself. As a divine being, Jesus as the son of Gog could not take on sin and if he had "died" on the cross only as a divine being, it would have been irrelevant to mankind which would remain in its hopeless sinful state. As it was, Jesus became fleah and was able to take these sins upon Hinself on the cross. Second, if Jesus had been only divine, then He would not have died on the cross and therefore, not only would He not have died to atone for our sins, but also the ressurection would have been a sham and again meaningless. Finally, at least for this discussion, by becoming man, He effectively met us half way. He knew what it was like to be a man and yet He lived a perfect sinless life as a man. In doing that He showed us the way to what lay ahead for us. Our path is to be guided by the Holy Spirit along the opposite route so that we become less man and more Christ like. In short, in my view, the concept of Jesus becoming flesh and living as a man amongst other men is a cornerstone of Christian faith.

Why doesn't Satan want us to believe that? Because if Jesus was only a divine being then our situation is hopeless, which is exectly what Satan would have us believe.

What are the implications of the fact that Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours? There are many implications, but for me the outstanding implication is that it points the way along the path that I have been commanded to follow. He lived a perfect sin free life in a human body, just like mine and subject to all of the same issues as I have. I am need to follow the path to become less of me and more like Christ and Christ himself provided me with the perfect example.

What significance does it bring to the crucifixion and to the resurrection? Without it, the crucifixion and resurection are meaningless, and worse, a sham.

What is the significance for your Christian life? It is a huge source of inspiration for me. Jesus lived as a man here on earth in the same way as I do. He went through some of the same issues and trials that I go through and more. He suffered in a horrible way just for me. If He can do that what can I do for Him? Love HIm, follow His commandments, give myself to Him completely and walk the path towards becoming like Him.

It is important to believe that because God said it would happen and it did. We who believe that are from God and have the Holy Spirit in us. If we did not believe or those who do not believe then satan wins over them or us.God put Himself in a human body, born of a human body that is, and still kept His deity.In taking the form of mankind He wanted to reach us in a way He was not able to before, still remaining Himself, GOD. He showed His unending love for us by going to the cross bearing our sins and showed us His deity by rising from the dead intacked, all together, not decaying, One who is all powerful and mighty. God has given me a gift, that is life. Every breath, movement is a gift from God. My purpose here is for Gods` will. For me to walk a Christians` way of life is to honour and obey God.In doing that God will use me when and where He wants. Thanks be to God. :rolleyes:

Believing that Christ has come in the flesh is essential for us to understand the sacrifice that was made and how it pertains to mankind. Satan is constantly trying to deviate believers from the truth because he knows that only the truth can set us free and he finds pleasure and (false) power from our bondage. Jesus coming down from heaven and living in the flesh was essential because He is the only one who could overcome temptation to be known as the 'unblemeshed lamb' that was sacrificed for our sinfulness. Because He came to earth as a man, lived a life that overcame temptation, was sacrificed for all sin once and for all, and resurrected from the grave, we now have a Savior who not only holds dominion over sin, but also death and the grave. He gives us hope; that through Him, we can overcome also. We may always have some sin to be 'working on' in life. But faith in Jesus' and His teachings allows us the journy down the path that will bring us back to God Almighty. It will bring you to your knees to catch, just a glimpse of understanding, of what Jesus did for mankind.

Believing that Jesus was God in the flesh is important because , this doctrine is essential to the Christian system; and he who does not hold it cannot be regarded either as a Christian, or recognized as a Christian teacher, if he was not a man, then all that occurred in his life, in Gethsemane, and on the cross, was in appearance only, and was assumed only to delude the senses. There were no real sufferings; there was no shedding of blood; there was no death on the cross; and, of course, there was no atonement. A mere show, an appearance assumed, a vision, could not make atonement for sin; and a denial, therefore, of the doctrine that the Son of God had come in the flesh, was in fact a denial of the doctrine of expiation for sin.

Jesus

If Jesus was not God in the flesh then God can not and did not identify with humanity. Because you create something doesn't mean you can identify with and know how that creation feels. How creation suffers temptation, etc. By becoming a human being (in Jesus), from cradle to grave, God could then totally identify with humanity. As the writer of Hebrews states, we have a High Priest who can identify with us. Who shared our suffering and knows the challenges of being a human being. Therefore Jesus is on our side and intercedes for us before God the Father. It is all about God experiencing being human and identifying with us in order to save us. Jesus suffered and died on the cross as God incarnate to save humanity from its sin and to reconcile us from Him -- if we accept the offer. Additionally, God became a human being in order to model for us what it means to be a complete human being as He designed it and how to relate to fellow humanity as well as Himself.

The bottom line is that Jesus was both divine and human and modeled that we can be both divine and human and have victory over sin and death through the cross. We can be both divine and human as the result of the presence of the Holy Spirit in our very being. Jesus if you invite me into your heart I will sup or abide with you. Satan doesn't want this for humanity.

Believing that Jesus was God in the flesh is important because God is showing us that what Jesus can do in the flesh we can also do because we are flesh.

Satan doesn't want us to believe this because it enables us to live in victory and Satan doesn't want us doing that.

The implication is that it is possible for us to do everything that Jesus does -- EXCEPT we cannot die to save mankind.

God needed a pure sacrifice and Jesus, in human flesh, is the only one who qualifies. He is also so pure that death could not hold Him and He was risen from death to life in order that we too can be risen to eternal life. Hallelujah!

:wub:

Believing that Jesus is God whom came in the flesh is very important to true Christian faith because of the many implications of this fact to our lives as well as the Word of God states this as the truth in several places. Satan does not want to believe this because if he did then he would also have to believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and is the Lord over all of creation (which He is) and that is, his Lord as well; and Satan believes that he is the master or king of this world and there is no other to rule over him. This is significant to not only the crucifixion and resurrection of the Lord Jesus but to our lives as Christian believers in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ because of many reasons I can think from the Holy Bible; but probably one of the most significant is the fact that the Lord Jesus Christ lived His human life here on earth and died here so He could understand, know and have compassion on what we humans have been going through and He suffered much more then all of us do in our lives, suffering even unto His cruel death on the cross so He offered Himself as the one and final sacrifice for our sins in order to save us of whom He had chosen even before eternity past to be a part of His everlasting family. He couldn

It is important to believe that Jesus was God in the flesh because it is the basis of our Christian faith.

Satan doesn't want us to believe this because if he can get us to question the Incarnation,then he can get us to question our salvation.

The implications of the fact Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours is that,as Christians, we have the potential to do the same.

The significance this brings to the crucifixion and resurrection is, Jesus was able to offer himself on the cross for our sins then defeat death 3 days later because he didn't succumb to the temptation of sin.

Believing that Jesus was God in the flesh is so important because it is a fact that Jesus inhabited human flesh and took upon Him the sins of the whole world. Satan would have us believe that Jesus Christ did not come as God in the flesh because in doing so we would believe his lie and not the truth.

The implications of the fact that Jesus could live out His divine life in a human body like ours give us the inspiration that He is indeed acquainted with and is touched by the feelings of our infirmities.

Jesus' purpose in coming to earth and dwell in the flesh was to bring us the only path to eternal life. He did this when He died on the cross bearing the sins of the world was buried and resurrected to open the way for each one of us to have a new and eternal life free from sin. No one else could have done what He did, only a sinless Savior could have taken the place as a sacrificial lamb to bear our sins.

The belief that Jesus was God manifested in the flesh is important, because it point us to the fact that Jesus lived a sinless life in our place to fulfill the requirements of the law that we could not live up to, and took our place in God's punishment for sin. When this belief is perverted, it subtlely undermines the whole foundation of the Christian message. The penalty for sin had to be paid, since God is just; sinless flesh had to take the place of sinful flesh; if Jesus were not in the flesh, He could not have died in our place, and we would still be in our sins awaiting judgment. Also, if the heresy Cerinthus promoted were true, when Jesus was born in the flesh, He would have been just another human just like us, with the same inclination towards and tendency to sin just like us until the "Christ" spirit descended on Him for a time. If He were just a mere human proned to sin like us before the "Christ" spirit came on Him, He would not be a suitable sacrifice for us; that is why that is not true. If Satan successfully got us to believe these lies, he would have us unknowingly saying that Jesus was not really a satisfying sacrifice for our sins, and therefore we are still subject to answer for our own sins. The significance of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ is that He died in the flesh for our sins; His Blood is a satisfying sacrifice. That God raised Him back to life on the third day is important for Christians then and today, because it is a model for what God will one day do for us: we who are in Christ will also conquer death when He raises us back to life at His coming. We who are in Christ will be with Him spiritually when we die, but when He returns to earth, all who are in Him, dead and alive, will receive glorified bodies like His. The crucifixion and resurrection are important to Christians because it signifies His and our conquering of death and everlasting paradise thereafter.

Why is believing that Jesus was God in the flesh so important?

We would still be looking out for a coming Messiah. To bring Jesus down to the level of man and deny His divinity, is to lose all hope in salvation and redemption. The soul has no worth without this belief. Denying His divinity, puts us in a 'dangerous and defeated' position. The truth that He was a man, gives us comfort and a relative common denomination. The truth that He is God, gives us a clear sense of victory and finality to our sinfulness and an eternity of joy and life to look forward to.

Why doesn't Satan want us to believe that?

The prize is won or lost in the thinking process. The battleground is truly in the mind. Thinking the wrong thing, will defeat a person before they can get started. Thinking the right thing gives them motivation and eventual victory.

What are the implications of the fact that Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours?

The impiclations would be that sin can be overcome right here on earth. He was tempted in all ways as we are tempted, but He overcame. Now, the resurrected life of Jesus Christ lives within us and overcoming should not be out of reach for the Christian.

What significance does it bring to the crucifixion and to the resurrection?

Our past cannot determine our future, because our old self died with Him on the cross. Now, we are able to live a victorious and abundant lifestyle because the resurrection promises us a new life in Him.

What is the significance for your Christian life?

Our Christian life should not be such a grieving struggle. But, a belief and a hope and a faith that we do not have to give in to defeat or live a depraved life on this earth.

It is important to understand that Jesus was God in the flesh because God himself planned the whole thing. He knew how it would end and He knew the reason. The whole purpose for Jesus birth was to die on the cross for our sins and aflicitons. Though truely divine He wanted to understand what life was like for the sinner. People hated him because of his honesty and compassion for the lest of those. Though Jews were God chosen people the Gentiles were able to be part of the covenant as well.

Thank God for grace and mercy which we gained after His resurrection. We can repent for our sins and Satan is mad because he lost the battle when Christ took away the keys to death and life. So we have control over lives and determine rather we go to Heaven or hell.

Believing that Jesus was God in the flesh is important because of love. It is in spite of our sinfulness that God loved us and came down to earth in flesh to show man that He (God) desires to be with us, and He wants us to live with him. This is not because we have some worth that He needs us at His side; rather it is what He desires.

Satan wants us to think God has no love for us, because he remembers that he (Satan) had God

• 3 weeks later...

One of the implications of not believing that Jesus is God in the flesh is the idea that if Jesus was only a man, then we can model his piety, good works, love, etc. and be acceptable to God. Even if one accepts Cerinthus' position that the Spirit descended upon Christ for a time making Jesus divine, that could be interpreted to mean that one's "good" life will be rewarded with the bestowing of God's Spirit & divinity, instead of Isaiah's truth that "all our righteous acts are like filthy rags".

As long as we think we can reach God through our own goodness, we really don't grasp the huge gulf between God's perfect purity and our fundamental self-centeredness, making it impossible to understand the concept of sin and our need for Jesus Christ's sacrificial payment. Satan definitely doesn't want us to understand or accept God's definition of sin.

What are the implications of the fact that Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours?

As others in the forum have said, it's the sure knowledge that the Spirit we have inside us when we accept Jesus as Lord will give us the direction & strength to truly live as God wants us to. It's also immensely comforting to know that the God who created me truly understands what it means to be a human.

The truth that Jesus is God and died on the cross for each of us shows His immense, almost incomprehensible love and the huge cost necessary to bring us into a relationship with God,a cost no man could ever pay. That Jesus is God and came to back life after dying demonstrates the power He has to fulfill all that He has promised us.

When I remember to really think about how staggering it is that "my God should die for me", I'm overcome with gratitude that motivates me to continue living as He wants me to. His resurrection gives me hope that carries through terrible events, and reminds me of His limitless power--He has truly "overcome the world".

The importance of the incarnation relates to our belief in the resurrection. If He were not of both conditions, man and spirit, how could we say that our sins have been wiped clean. Some say the two could not habitate together. But, with all things, nothing is impossible with God. Satan wants us to believe that we are still bound by the tentacles of sin. Because we are still in sin, continuing in sin is a small matter.

We are covered by the blood of Jesus: our sins have been forgiving. The passage of scripture below tells the significance of the incarnation:

Colossians 2:6-12: 6As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: 7Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. 8Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: 11In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: 12Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

For me I know when the trumpt sounds I'll be caught up. Because I believe in the Cross and the Ressurection, I'll see my loved ones again.

Because by believing that Jesus was God in the flesh we are saved, the Spirit of God abides in us

Because Satan does not want us to be saved by believing that

The only right and just way to help and save men from the punishment of sins is to be human being. In his human body Jesus could substitute them to bear the punishment that they should bear.

To crucifixion, with his human body like ours, Jesus

(1 John 4:1-3)

We know that we must beleive that Jesus, was God made in the fleash. He had to be in orfer to bear the sins of mankind on the cross.

Stan would like us not to belive that Christ was God made flesh, because it would make us doubt the rest....if none of that were true then how could we believe that He would bear our sins by the ultimate blood sacrifice.

If Jesus had chosen to live out His life.....as a man....then He would not have fulfilled prophesy by going from that manger in Bethleham to the cross for us.

Christ fulfilled the promises of scripture by becoming the ultimate Lamb sacrifice, a one time giving of Himself for us.

As one of my favorite hymns says...Because He Lives I can face tomorrow....beacuse He lives all fear is gone.

• 5 months later...

The bible clearly tells the story of Jesus birth, with angels coming to the shepherds, the wise men coming from the East. This was to son of GOd born of the virgin's womb. It was John the baptist who also jumped in the womb of his mother when then he felt Jesus near. There is no doubt, this was the son of God from the moment of his conception and then birth on this earth; Emanuel, God present in human flesh, to learn us and to show God's compassion and love. to make it all very clear by Jesus' life example. The crucifixion is His sacrifice and atonement for our sins. The resurrection is His victory over death and the world. What wonderful things to learn and ingest, to know in our hearts; in truth and in spirit there is nothing better, there is no one like Him. Praise God for sending Jesus!

• 5 months later...

It is important to believe that Jesus came in the flesh because that is the cornerstone of our faith. God couldnot die but the shedding of blood was necessary for the cleansing of sin. That was why in the old testament time animals blood was shed for the forgiveness of sin. God sent his son in the form of man so that he could shed his blood for the salvation of mankind.

Satan does not want anyone to believe this as the act of believing leads to salvation and this depopulates Satan's kingdom.This why he does not any one to believe the incarnation.

That Jesus lived in a human body like us meant that he could feel whatever we do feel- compassion, love, pain, hunger, temptation etc.

His death showed his humantiy while his resurrection confirmed his divine nature

• 4 months later...

1.By believing that Jesus was God in the flesh, we are able to know that He came and walked among us, teaching us, taking our sins upon Himself to the cross so we can be clean at judgement.

2. Satan wants us to belong to him for eternity so he and his followers want us to not believe in Jesus and His holiness.,

3. It proves He is willing to love us and to experience our feelings and day to day frustrations and joys.

4. Greater love has no man. He was willing to live with us and die for us, even while we were still sinners.

5. I have the perfect example of how God expects us to live, with love for all and a spirit of humbleness. Now it is up to me to try to daily live up to this example in my Christian life.

• 4 months later...

Answer:

1.Why is believing that Jesus was God in the flesh so important?

1. Because God must become Man in the flesh,so that He can die and redeem mankind.God is a Spirit(John 4:24-God is spirit, and the people who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”)…and Spirit cannot die…Without the death of Jesus,shedding His blood,there is no remission of Sins(Hebrews 9:22-Indeed according to the law almost everything was purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness)..SO JESUS BECOME MAN,TO DIE FOR US,AND HE IS GOD AT THE SAME TIME,TO FORGIVE US OUR SINS…

2.Why doesn't Satan want us to believe that?

Satan doesn’t want us to believe that,so that he can still have dominion over us,if and still continue to condemn us.He doesn’t want us to know that THE DEATH AND RESURRECTION OF JESUS HAS ONCE AND FOR ALL DESTROY HIS STRONGHOLD,IN US..But if we don’t know this truth we will still be in bondage everytime Satan attacks us..to steal,kill and destroy us..(John 10:10-.. the thief comes only to steal and kill23 and destroy)..but once we know and believe that truth…the truth that Jesus finished work in the cross destroys satan(Col 2:14-15- 2:14 He has destroyed29 what was against us, a certificate of indebtedness30 expressed in decrees opposed to us. He has taken it away by nailing it to the cross. 2:15 Disarming31 the rulers and authorities, he has made a public disgrace of them, triumphing over them by the cross).,and imputed His righteousness in us(2 Cor 5:21)..then satan cannot tell us lies anymore…

3.What are the implications of the fact that Jesus could live out his divine life in a human body like ours? What significance does it bring to the crucifixion and to the resurrection?

It gives us hope,that in this world,we likewise can live in Divine life…FOR AS JESUS IS SO ARE WE IN THIS WORLD…(1 John 4:17)…if Jesus can,We also can have it..John 14:12- I tell you the solemn truth, the person who believes in me will perform the miraculous deeds that I am doing, and will perform greater deeds than these, because I am going to the Father.

The significance it brings to the crucifixion is that,Jesus in His Human body suffers all the Physical pain,..all those bruises in His Body,all those wounds,all those stripes bring so much agony in Him,so that we will not suffer the same punishment..WHY?

Because God love us so much,that HE Give His Only begotten Son,to suffer,die in our behalf..(John 3:16)..Heaven was shut out black for three hours when God Punishes Jesus because of our Sin..He treat Jesus as one of the vilest,sinful man,and punish Him,and send Him to hell for three days..but even hell can’t contain Him,that in the Third Day,with all the power and might of the devil,to make him stay…JESUS ROSE FROM THE DEAD,TRIUMPHING OVER THE ENEMY,SHOWING LEADING CAPTIVITY CAPTIVES,PROCLAIMING THAT …HE HAS DEFEATED DEATH ,AND THAT WE NO LONGER MUST FEAR DEATH,FOR JESUS CONQUERED AND DEFEATED DEATH FOR US..

1 Col 1:15- Disarming the rulers and authorities, he has made a public disgrace of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

Eph 4:8- Therefore it says, “When he ascended on high he captured6 captives; he gave gifts to men.”

5 What is the significance for your Christian life?

To live the fullness of Life that God has given to me,through Christ Jesus,and to be filled with the Holy Spirit,producing the Fruit of the Spirit,without,groaning,with much effort,but that the Fruit will just come out effortlessly,THE JOY ,LOVE,PEACE,GOODNESS,GENTLENESS,LONGSUFFERING,FAITH,MEEKNESS,PATIENCE..all abound in me..

And with this light,with this Glory,it will bring light to the darkness that is the world,attracting them to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Hallelujah…Glory to God.