JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Rape of Dinah

I think Jacob was silent with shock and needed to take it all in and come to terms with the news and also the request for marriage to take place.

I wonder if Dinah would have been willing to marry Shechem, a Cananite? God had warned Jacob not to inter-marry with Cananites. Another Problem for Jacob.

I think that Jacob should have prayed and received council from God, then when he told his sons, he would already have received wise council from God and would be able to lead and guide his sons into doing what was right, instead of letting them lead him.

What was right about the son's reaction is that they were all grieved about their sister's abuse.

What was wrong is that they took the matter into their own hands and became judge, jury and executioners.

And Jacob Let It Happen.

Once action had been taken, Jacob says (but too late), that it was the wrong action.

The tribe of Israel is now a stench in the land to people, and God wanted them to be a blessing and a leading light - a good example. If they stay in Shecham, they face disgrace, contempt and then anihilation.

I am wondering at this point, if God was telling them it was time to move on, for they were probably becoming rather comfortable in this place and might even have settled there for good.

Love from Greta

:wub:

It seems Jacob feared the Shechem.

He should have made a judgement that would be fair & according to the laws of the land at that time.

The sons had righteous anger.

They took it too far.

They now face the threat of Shechem joining other enemies against Jacob.

Jacob was silent after his daughter was raped probably because of fear as his children were not around and he was old and frail. Jacob should have taken legal action agains Shechem for defiling his daughter.

His childrens' anger when they discovered that their sister had been defiled was right. Tricking the men and murdering them was however wrong.

The action of Jacob's children exposed their entire family to danger of attak by the community in Shechem and the neighbouring communities.

Jacob was probaby silent after hearing about the rape of his daughter because of fear of the Schememites.

Instead of remaining silent what Jacob should of done was to have pressed a legal accusation before the town elders. He should of demanded the young man be punished for his act.

What was right about the sons' reaction was that they were willing to revenge their sister's honor and see that her rapist and abductor was punished.

What was wrong about their reaction was slaughtering all the men of the town then taking the women and children as slaves. Basically,they punished an entire town for the sin of just one man.

Q1. (Genesis 34) Why do you think Jacob is so silent after the rape of his daughter?

I feel like Jacob was considering the safety of his family and possibly even praying and asking God what he should do in this situation before just jumping up and doing something like most of us so often seem to do and also like the two sons did in this matter.

What should he have done instead of being silent?

He may have done just what he needed to do even though a lot of times we would like to do something on our on but we were not in this position.

What was right about the sons

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know but in the past he was prone to make decisions without consulting God - decisions that had dire consequences. . . Recognizing that decisions without God's input could have dire consequences - and having experienced a change at Peniel - it is possible that he is waitig on God to intervene in this situation - however, it isn't possible to get any involvement from God without prayer. . .

Instead of remaing silent in this situation he should have confonted the leaders of the community informing them of this violation putting them into a possition, as leader, to do something to punish the one that did thios act - and as a discouragement to anyone else participating in such an act. . . Again, had he prayed and consulted with God I am sure that based on God's promise to be with him and protect him and his family He (God) would have given him direction as to what should have been done. . .Proverbs 3:5-8 (NLT)

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.

6 Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.

7 Dont be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead, fear the Lord and turn away from evil.

8 Then you will have healing for your body and strength for your bones.

I don't believe the act the sons of Jacob took to punish an offender was the right thing to do - but I do believe that they were right to do something because had they not did anything there would be an opening that would allow the Shechemites to do whatever they desires without any repercussions. . .

When lawless deeds are performed somethinghas o be done to prevent others from becoming involved in like actions. . . Of course this is prior to the Law of Moses but even so man, who is created in the likeness of God has a sense of what is wrong and what is right built into his character - otherwise we would be no different for any other species in the animal kingdom. . .

The action taken by the sons of Jacob were wrong because deception was involved in this act. . . When Hamor was in the presence of Jacob and his sons and asked what they desired for the favor of his son being able to marry Dinah that was the ime to address this matter with the appropriate demand for making this deed as right as it was possible to make such an ugly act. . .

The reactions of Jacob's sons could have resulted in all of the families if that community joining forces to exact judgment on them. . . Too often this is how things get all out of sorts when nobody takes the responsibility of going to God for resolution. . .

Deuteronomy 32:35-36 (NLT)

35 I will take revenge; I will pay them back. In due time their feet will slip. Their day of disaster will arrive, and their destiny will overtake them.

36 Indeed, the Lord will give justice to his people, and he will change his mind about his servants, when he sees their strength is gone and no one is left, slave or free.

B)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Q1. (Genesis 34) Why do you think Jacob is so silent after the rape of his daughter?

I think Pastor Ralph is right in his opinion here. Jacob is an old man by this time and frail. There is another consideration here too: Women were not equal with men in ancient society, especially in the everyday world. They were property, much like livestock. Jacob had twelve sons. He probably knew one or more of them would take the required action as the family avenger or wrongs. Interestingly enough, God is not mentioned in this whole affair. Don't forget too: Jacob was a quiet patient man. He worked for twice the agreed time for Laban to achieve what he wanted. His patience was eventually rewarded. Probably in this case he held back as well to see what would happen.

Well, he should have at least registered a complaint with the town council of elders . . . and the sooner the better. We have no way of knowing what the local laws were in regard to raping a foreigner. For all we know aliens may have had no rights of appeal and no entitlement to justice. As it was though, Shechem and his father did approach Jacob and try to bargain their way to a peaceful solution. Let's remember Jacob's shrewd mind here. By not racing straight in with righteous anger he may have been hoping for some sort of gain in the long run.

The offer of Hamor to have the fledgeling Israelites intermarry and settle there was a selfish one. They were hoping that they would just absorb Israel in a generation. God would likely have made things happen the other way around and Israel most likely would have increased and strengthened but that was out of the question now. Maybe that thought was in Jacob's mind at the time? "If I just shut up and let them fall over themselves apologizing, I could end up owning the whole town, God willing"

What was right about the sons

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

1a)He didn’t want to act hastily in anger, not sure what he thought,but have thought wise to wait, or maybe fearful of Hamor&his sons.

b)He should have first sought to comfort&seek help for his daughterDinah,from the elders of the town with a legal accusation of rape on Shechem,though as outsiders he may not have received justice.

c)The son’s were right in coming to comort griefstrikken Dina & but went too far attempting to restore justice by their actions.

D)They were wrong to kill all the men,deviouisly requesting men of Shechem be circumcised before “marriage” to weaken them before they were attacked,as had no intention of Dinah marrying any of the men..

E)Because of the sons actions,the whole family are under threat for their life.

• 1 year later...

I find it strange that Jacob is so silent after the rape of his daughter. I think that the old Jacob would have attached them but the new Jacob is a lot calmer than that and he is getting old. I think that instead of being silent he should have brought it to the attention of the town elders and pursued legal action.

I think that his son’s reaction was a lot more reasonable but they should have perused legal action instead. Now the threat that they now face is that of war.

• 2 years later...

My first thought was that he didn't know what to do. He was in shock.

He should have continued the talks with a full family meeting then made the final decision. Thus ways his sons wouldn't have felt compelled to make a decision on their own.

What was right about the sons� reaction?

They should have been upset about what happened to their sister. They were also right to ask of the family to be circumcised as a way to cleanse themselves and follow God.

What was wrong?

Using the circumcision as a way to make them weak so they could kill, rape, and pillage their community.

What threat does the family now face if they stay in Shechem? Retribution

• 6 years later...

Q1. (Genesis 34)

Why do you think Jacob is so silent after the rape of his daughter?

What was right about the sons' reaction? What was wrong?

What threat does the family now face if they stay in Shechem?

In a way I assume he was in shock. Rash decisions are made, when in shock. Also if I look at other passages, decisions don't get made by one man. This effected the whole family, so would be looked at by the males in the family and a decision be made as how to handle matters.  I don't think Jacob was too feeble as yet, despite his age. He still lived for many years after that and made many decisions and moves.  

Looking at what could have happened . Firstly, they had lived there for many years.  They were probably not strangers to the townspeople.  Reading between the lines the norm was that the women would not move around unattended. Here, we find this young, desirable, teenage girl, going to the town unattended (warning lights are on  -   question why  -  looking for trouble)  This alone would already have been troubling to Jacob.  He daren't just jump to conclusions, and just blame the young man.  Dinah should not have been alone.  Jacob was silent until his sons returned.

By the time the sons returned, Hamor was there also ready to make right what his son had done wrong by his thoughtless cravings/actions.

Apparently when the girl was raped and the man desired to marry her, he kept her in his home and after a period of time the marriage would take place.

The idea that Jacob's sons had, could possibly be thought of as right, but revenge was in the air not a means to rectify the wrong action.  So the only thing that could be taken as almost recommendable in their actions, is that they "stood by" their sister and were prepared to sort out her hopeless situation.  There scheming for revenge was definitely not right or applaudable.

Staying there meant that they were now vulnerable and would likely have to face feuding by others who were allies of the people they had so callously murdered.

What seems strange to me is that the widows and children were all now included into the tribe,  and needed their protection now also and needed to be looked after, even if they were taken as slaves. The responsibility of feeding etc lay on the family of Israel now.   😲