JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Joseph's Revelation of God's Purpose

Q3. (Genesis 45:4-8) Contrast Jacob and Joseph. Jacob has suffered great loss. Joseph has suffered great injustice. Why is Jacob's vision so bleak but Joseph's, so broad? What have been their differing responses to fear? What insight has kept Joseph from being bitter towards his brothers?

Joseph eventually understands God's purpose in what was happening to him. The purpose in Joseph's experience in suffering injustice had nothing to do with him or his family. The whole betrayal thing was the way God got Joseph into Eygpt and into the proper position. It was about what God was doing in the greater scheme of things, like saving/perserving the descentants of Abraham in order to eventually make them into a great nation. Jacob hadn't reached that realiztion. Therefore, Joseph wasn't angry with his brothers, but warm, compassionate, and forgiving. Joseph handled fear by staying faithful to and dependent upon God. Jacob was fearful about losing some of his family instead of turning the matter over to God. We must let God be our God if we are going to have victory in our life and maintain a proper perspective of life.

Q3. (Genesis 45:4-8) Contrast Jacob and Joseph. Jacob has suffered great loss. Joseph has suffered great injustice. Why is Jacob's vision so bleak but Joseph's so broad? What have been their differing responses to fear? What insight has kept Joseph from being bitter towards his brothers?

At this point Jacob is an old man. I think he suffered injustices when he was younger at the hands of Laban and was stronger and growing in faith. I think his faith was stronger before he thought Joseph was dead. Could it be that Jacob was still very depressed over the loss of Joseph while Joseph who as a young man had in him the fortitude that I think Jacob had in the beginning and although probably very scared had some faith instilled in him probably by Jacob which would have gotten him through the dark times.

Sometimes in life you are too weak to have faith. You have been through too much. But God is still faithful to us.

Joseph saw that the reason why he was where he was was of the Lord. And I believe his faith had time to grow in the years he was apart.

When I look at Joseph I think Jacob did something right as a father.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q3. (Genesis 45:4-8) Contrast Jacob and Joseph. Jacob has suffered great loss. Joseph has suffered great injustice.

Why is Jacob's vision so bleak, but Joseph's so broad? Joseph has not lost sight of who he is In the eyes of Yahowah.

What have been their differing responses to fear? Joseph constantly cried out to Yahowah. We gotta keep in mind that Joseph and Benjamin had been brought up by Israel who had been changed from the inside out. He was probably soaking in every story that his daddy had told him about the God of Israel.

What insight has kept Joseph from being bitter towards his brothers? He believed in Yahowah. It is apparent to us and should have been to his brothers when as an egyptian by all appearances, Joseph says:

Q3. (Genesis 45:4-8) Contrast Jacob and Joseph. Jacob has suffered great loss. Joseph has suffered great injustice. Why is Jacob's vision so bleak but Joseph's, so broad?

Jacob is caught up in his sorrows and troubles but Joseph is trusting in the Lord and not looking at the troubles.

What have been their differing responses to fear?

Jacob draws up in a shell of quietness, when Joseph lets out to the Lord.

What insight has kept Joseph from being bitter towards his brothers?

I feel like the dreams the Lord has showed him has inspired him to believe in the Lord and keep his faith.

Q3. (Genesis 45:4-8) Contrast Jacob and Joseph. Jacob has suffered great loss. Joseph has suffered great injustice. Why is Jacob's vision so bleak but Joseph's, so broad? What have been their differing responses to fear? What insight has kept Joseph from being bitter towards his brothers?

Joseph deals with his hard knocks in a more optimistic manner than Jacob. This is perhaps because Joseph is younger and hasn't experienced a lifetime of loosing his loved ones to death like Jacob has (in being sold, Joseph did lose his family, but it wasn't to death; for all he knew, they were still alive, and there was always the chance of reconciliation, like what happened in the end). For Jacob, on the other hand, the ones he lost, he lost to definite death, and there was no more seeing them in this life. Also, Joseph seems to recognize the hand of God in the good and bad times in his life a lot sooner than Jacob. In response to fear, Jacob has mostly fled from danger, but Joseph has--or has been mostly put into circumstances where he was forced to--face his fears. What keeps Joseph from being bitter about the things that has happened to him is knowing that it was all apart of God's plan to save his family from starvation; God worked it out for their good.

WHEN JOSEPH'STRIED TO GET RID OF HIM GOD USED THEIR EVIL ACTIONS AGAINST THEM TO FULFIL

HIS PLAN. HE SENT JOSEPH AHEAD TO PERSERVE THEIR LIVES TO SAVE EGYPT.

JOSEPH'S KNEW GOD WAS WORKING. HE KNEW EVIL ACTION COULD BE TURN INTO GOOD. THAT IS WHY HE SAID TO HIS BROTHERS "YE THOUGHT EVIL AGAINST, BUT GOD MEANT IT UNTO GOOD" 50:24

Q3. (Genesis 45:4-8) Contrast Jacob and Joseph. Jacob has suffered great loss. Joseph has suffered great injustice. Why is Jacob's vision so bleak, but Joseph's so broad?

Joseph had God's blessings on his life, blessings were everywhere in the life of Joseph. He was living a life of pleasure, of plenty, and he was aware of where it came from - the God of his father "Jacob"

Jacob at this time was facing great sorrow and tribulation, outwardly Jacob could not see the blessings that were in the working, however, I do see Jacob trusting in his God no matter what the cost may be as he looked through the glass darkly, but he will soon see how his God was working it all out, not just for Jacob and his family, but for His chosen people, "Israel."

Q. What insight has kept Joseph from being bitter towards his brothers?

Joseph understood the dream he had and wondered about has now come true, it was a dream from God, God had made him ruler over all of Egypt, and he saw the hearts of his brothers were turned from hatred to that of love, God works wonders in those who trust Him. (The greatest of these is LOVE.)

B) Jacob's vision was so bleak because,as always,he only thought of himself. He basically had a "poor me" attitude. Joseph's vision was so broad because he was able to see God working in his life. He knew God had a reason for the trials he had to endure. He refused to feel sorry for himself in order to focus on the "big picture."

Jacob's response to fear had been to run,in the case of fleeing from Esau and later Laban.

Or else to withdraw,in the case of when Simeon and Levi had slaughtered all the men in Shechem in revenge for their sister Dinae's rape. Joseph's response to fear was to meet it head on. Plus he trusted that God would keep him from harm.

The insight that kept Joseph from being bitter towards his brothers was, what they had meant for evil,God had intended for good. They may have thought they were getting rid of Joseph for good by selling him into slavery. In reality,it would be Joseph who would end up saving the family from starvation as Pharoah's second in command.

(Genesis 45:4-8) Contrast Jacob and Joseph. Jacob has suffered great loss. Joseph has suffered great injustice. Why is Jacob's vision so bleak but Joseph's, so broad? What have been their differing responses to fear? What insight has kept Joseph from being bitter towards his brothers?

Jacob from birth was a deceptor whereas Joseph was a dreamer.

Jacob's vision is so bleak because he only looked at things one way. All he was looking at was what was right in front of him. His total focus was on what he wanted. He did have tunnel vision faith.

Joseph was able to see from a broad perspective. He could see that he was brought to Egypt to preserve life for his family and for future generations of his family. He saw his dream fulfilled becaue he did become a ruler. Joseph did not become bitter because all along he could see God's Hand moving in his life.

Why is Jacob's vision so bleak but Joseph's, so broad? What have been their differing responses to fear?

I am sure Joseph must have questioned God when he was alone, lost and desolated. But what could he do? He was in a foreign land - there was no one he could ask for help. He was betrayed by his own brothers. Yet, he must have had a very special relationship with God because he knew his dreams were all given to him by God. So it was just he and God all those years and Joseph clung on to God. As for Jacob, apart from having to run away from Esau, his life had been relatively good. Most of us (if not all) are like Jacob - when things are going well, our level of faith goes up. When we face difficulties and we do not get answers to our problems quickly, we tend to feel that God has abandoned us and our vision becomes bleak.

Jacob gave in to his fear, whilst Joseph remembered and clung on to God's promises

Joseph's understanding that God's plans for him were for the ultimate good even though the path he had to take was not always smooth. He understood that the bad things that happen to us can always be used for God's glory.

Gen 45:4 And Joseph said unto his brethren, Come near to me, I pray you. And they came near. And he said, I am Joseph your brother, whom ye sold into Egypt.

Gen 45:5 And now be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither: for God did send me before you to preserve life.

Gen 45:6 For these two years hath the famine been in the land: and there are yet five years, in which there shall be neither plowing nor harvest.

Gen 45:7 And God sent me before you to preserve you a remnant in the earth, and to save you alive by a great deliverance.

Gen 45:8 So now it was not you that sent me hither, but God: and he hath made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house, and ruler over all the land of Egypt.

Jacob for the most part thought of only himself, he was very self focused while Joseph has learnt to think of others. Jacob never learnt to completely trust the Lord in times of trouble...he would then he would once again turn to doubt while Joseph facing so many fearful moments depended completely on God and trusted that God would accomplish exactly what He set out to do. Joseph realized early on that God had a job for him and that his brothers though sold him into slavery did it according to the plan of the Lord.

• 4 weeks later...

Jacob was too focused on his own personal losses and got caught up in them to the point of frozen in fear and depression, to not lose his last son. His life was not like that of Joseph. Joseph had a lot of time "alone" relative to people he knew as a slave. He was powerless as a slave and he was obedient to not sin with the wife of another man and became prisoner. He showed high moral character. So he some how had these reflections in his mind and heart and developed a greater and greater faith along the way along. he has seen visions from God. His willingness to trust in God resulted in his hart not becoming bitter. He simply stayed in the moments of his life and reacted to what God gave him to do. Being in the present is not easy when times are tough. So we do what we can and pray for God to deliver us in his time. And we thank God in advance for His perfect plan for us.

Suffering has the tendency to dim our view by causing us to concentrate on the problem(s) we face - however, when e are able to regain our focus we gain a different, and many times, a brighter view. . . As opposed to being weighed down by the pass - we are able to press into the future. . . Philippians 3:12-16 (NLT)

12 I don

• 1 month later...

In comparing Jacob to Joseph, the first thing I notice is that, when Jacob is experiencing loss, he becomes consumed. He seems to turn inward which does not allow him to see how it effects anything or anyone else. Perhaps Jacob, being head of a great household, sees himself as the head. When things are 'unfixable,' he crumbles at the lack of solution. Though Joseph suffered great injustices, beyond his control, there is no real documentation of severe grief. It seems that Joseph has learned to look beyond himself and to God to be the head of all situations. In giving his trust to God Almighty he becomes liberated from relying on himself for answers.

• 1 year later...

Q3. (Genesis 45:4-8) Contrast Jacob and Joseph. Jacob has suffered great loss. Joseph has suffered great injustice. Why is Jacob's vision so bleak but Joseph's, so broad?

Jacob's viewpoint is different. He sees himself as the victim of an uncaring fate. Joseph on the other hand is an optimist who has dreamed of greatness and sees every circumstance as a stepping stone to that greatness.

Jacob let fear overwhelm him and Joseph faced his fear with a faith in God.

Joseph never wavered in his anticipation of God using him to fulfill the dreams he had. He saw the big picture and once he was established in Egypt he realized that he was where God wanted him to be. So in Joseph's eyes his brothers acted to fulfill God's plan for him.

• 7 months later...

3a)Both Jacob &Joseph suffered great losses,Jacob deaths of Rachel,mother,father&loss of Joseph.Joseph separated from father,Benjamin & injustice of being sold as a slave.For both their faith was important,this prevented Joseph from being bitter.Joseph has seen evidence of his vision being fulfilled,

b)Jacob didn’t have same relationship with God,He was pessimistic didn’t trust God would provide for everything. Joseph could trust God even when it wasn’t easy.

.c)Joseph wasn’t angry with his brother and was able to forgive them,and help them through the famine.He spoke with God regularily &knew God was in control of all things and everything would work out for God’s glory,This helped him not to be bitter

• 1 year later...

I think that Jacob’s vision is so bleak, but Joseph’s so broad is because Jacob has lost so much in life where Joseph has just began his journey. Joseph can see a future where Jacob can’t. Joseph had always accepted fear as a challenge where Jacob has let fear conquer him at times.

The insight that has kept Joseph from being bitter toward his brothers is that he can see God’s hand in this.

• 2 years later...

I think Jacob had a idea of God that I myself have had. That if I trust God good things will always happen. Then when bad things happen I like Jacob was lost. I didn't know what to do, kept trying to figure out what I did wrong. Even after I heard God say that I didn't do anything wrong, I could accept and got depressed. Jacob had experienced such highs and had the woman he wanted. Now things were changing and he had a hard time hanging on.

Contrast that with Joseph being young and only knowing the God he saw his father worship. Throughout the whole ordeal he trusted God and gave Him credit for everything. With that God gave him insight as to why this things had taken place.

• 6 years later...

Q3. (Genesis 45:4-8)

Contrast Jacob and Joseph. Jacob has suffered great loss. Joseph has suffered great injustice.

Why is Jacob's vision so bleak, but Joseph's so broad?

To really do a comparison/contrast of the two men one would have to go way back into the past.

Jacob was the younger of twins but only by a hair-breath of time.  Joseph was the first born of the favorite wife of his father.  He was one of 12 sons.

Jacob was the favourite son of his mother , his brother, Esau being the favourite son of his father. Joseph was the favourite son of Jacob, his father.  

When Jacob left home he was well over 40 yrs of age. He only started his own family very late in his life.    Jacob basically fled from home because of the anger of his brother Esau, whose intentions were to kill him.  It was in this time that he had a personal encounter with God and basically promised to serve Him and acknowledged Him to be the One Who would look after him.    

Joseph in turn was 17 years of age. He might have been father's favourite but he was not kept away from fulfilling his duties , just as the rest of the brothers were.  Joseph was hated by his 10 half-brothers and was sold to the traders happening to go past at the time when they had put Joseph in the pit. Joseph trusted God.  Joseph had those dreams, which caused him much affliction, because he shared them.  But he trusted God.  We find that when he was tempted he said quite clearly that he could not sin against God.  Wherever Joseph was , the one he worked for was blessed, also in the prison.

Both succeeded in adversity, giving God the honor for this.  

Jacob's faith seems to be sporadic in a way. Joseph has faith in God, no matter what.  He looks to God to see him through it all. 

At this point in time Jacob has reached an all time low. His favourite wife died in child-birth. He might even blame himself for this.  Long before when Laban accused someone to have taken his household gods, Jacob said, let the one who they are found with die. Little did he know at that time, that Rachel was the thief.   Not only was she gone, but as far as he knew his favorite son had been devoured by predators.  So he was bereft of both the people he had pored his love into.

Joseph does not hold it against his brothers, that they had sold him, or behaved so badly towards him.  He sees God's hand in it all. In this way he is involved in the sharing of the food that had been stored up.  He can arrange for the family to come down to Egypt and share with them also.  He gives God the honor for it all.  

Talking about fear in this whole story. When Jacob met up with fear, he was quick in scheming something to get out of the so called soup.   We do not see Joseph as a schemer.  

Joseph is not bitter towards his brothers. He only wants to see if they have really changed in their attitude.  Are they still hateful?  Do they truly care for their father and youngest brother.   The fact that he sees that God allowed it all for the good of everyone, which the brothers had originally meant for evil, keeps Joseph from being bitter towards his bothers.