JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Retaining a 'Journeying Spirit'

Our life here on earth is a relatively short one. We do not belong here. Our heart, soul & mind are with God & our eternal home. We have a short stay here-depending on the Lord.

When we get too comfortable with our lives here, we put the eternal on the back burner. We prioritize in the wrong direction. Our relationship with the Lord is not as sharp as it was nor does it grow very much.

We need to be ever thankful, realizing God gives us gifts to serve Him for His purposes, not our own. Prayer & Bible study need to be a daily desire.

Thuogh our lives are not permanent here on this earth, it still continues for eternity in heaven. so here is just as a passage to our destination.

If we settle ,we will loose focus of our future and start to think only of now- our future is where GOD has prepared for us.

Always remember that jesus promised us a permanent home in heaven mhere we will dwell for ever, we can`t miss this for anything else, lets keep focused on this goal.

Life on this present earth is like a "pilgrimage" or journey with no permanent home because,as Christians,we are just aliens or strangers here. We will become permanent residents on the new earth after the Second Coming.

When we settle down and get too comfortable with our lives we reject the lifestyle of a sojourner for that of a permanent resident. We tend to focus more on our homes,jobs,and material possessions and less on spiritual matters.

We retain a "journeying spirit" in our faith by having an intimate relationship with God,spending time in bible study and prayer,fellowshipping with other believers. :)

THIS EARTH IS NOT OUR PERMANENT HOME. WE SHOULD LIVE OUR LIVES AS IF THIS IS OUR LAST DAYS ON EARTH. OUR FATHER IS RIGHT NOW PREPARING OUR ETERNAL HOME.

WHEN WE TO SETTLE IN OUR LIVES WE LET WORDLY THINGS GET IN OUR WAY. NOTHING ON THIS EARTH BELONGS TO US.WE ONLY GET TO USE IT FOR ASHORT TIME.NEVER PUT WORLDLY THINGS

BEFORE OUR FATHER WHO IS PREPARING ARE FINAL HOME

WE READ GOD'S WORD DAILY.WE FOLLOW HIS WORD. WE TELL OTHERS ABOUT THIS ETERNAL HOME THAT

WILL BE FOREVER

Q1. (Genesis 47:9) In what sense is life on earth like a "pilgrimage" or a journey with no permanent home?

Well, our hope is at the end of our earthy journey. we go to the grave and rest and wait until the Lord comes to call us home. The truth is that the Bible tells us that when Yahushua returns He is bringing His reward with Him. Re 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. Mt 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. The Bible also tells us that the dead in Christ, those who died living a life of continuance in Him, will be raised first from the grave to meet Him. Our home is with Him, not here on earth. This is a temporary dwelling place.

1 Thessalonians 4:16

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

What happens to us when we settle down and get too comfortable with our lives? We become dependent on the things of the world and what it has to offer.

How do we retain a "journeying spirit" in our faith? Stay connected with the father, through the Son and keep His commandments.

Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

• 4 weeks later...

As believers we have accepted the fact that we are Children of God and that our true hame is wherever He resides. . . Jesus told us that He was going away to prepare a place for and and that He would come for us so that we would reside in that place with Him. . . We have also been told that there is a "New" heaven and earth that we will live in eternally with God. . .John 14:1-4 (NKJV)

1 "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.

2 In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.

4 And where I go you know, and the way you know."

Revelation 21:1-3 (NKJV)

1 Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea.

2 Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God.

There is the tendenecy to become so attached that we fail to do what is necessary to look for or expect anything different. . .

By trusting in the Word of God and looking forward to receive the things God has promised us. . . 1 John 2:15-17 (NKJV)

15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

16 For all that is in the world--the **** of the flesh, the **** of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world.

17 And the world is passing away, and the **** of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

B)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

1a)Our whole life is a journey back to our heaven’ly father’s home.We were created to worship him,our actions send us off course but He enables us to learn from our mistakes in the twists & turns of the journey, but he never stops drawing us to himself by jesus’ sacrifice on the cross.

B)When we settle down we depend on God less&more on self&building home which can be barrier to God’s plans for us,if we let it.

C)By seeking the Lord in prayer reading the Word each day,keeping tuned in,seeing what He wants us to do to serve Him. Watching out for his answer prayers,trusting Him to guide,and not being self-sufficient but leaning on Jesus in everything.

• 1 year later...

The sense that life on earth is like a “pilgrimage” is because we don’t have a permanent home here on earth. It can be taken away in one great big storm. But we still have our savior and that will never be taken away. We can look to a place better than this one where we will have no pain.

When we settle down and get too comfortable with our lives we seem to forget what got us here and stop worshiping the one that made it all possible. The way that we retain a “journeying spirit” on our faith is not to put faith in our material things and continue to read and study God’s word so we can stay close to Him.

• 9 years later...

Q1. (Genesis 47:9)

In what sense is life on earth like a "pilgrimage" or a journey with no permanent home?

What happens to us when we settle down and get too comfortable with our lives?

How do we retain a "journeying spirit" in our faith?

Our life is a pilgrimage because we are here but for a little while and then we exchange it for a permanent dwelling.  

If we get too comfortable with our lives then we do not look forward to leaving and tend to cling to earthly things and don't tend to realize it is heaven we need to think of.  Our treasures are to be laid up in heaven.  

if we read the Word of God and stay close to Him in prayer then our lives become entwined with His and we long for what He has in the hereafter. We long to be with Him.   In this way the 'permanence' is stripped  from taking a hold of our life and our faith in Him is strengthened that the faith to know that the hereafter He has for us is much better than the now.