JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. If You Continue

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to “continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved”? What happens if we don’t? What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only)? (Please don’t use proof texts from other verses in the New Testament, but interpret Colossians 1:23 in its appropriate context.)

1. If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"?

I understand now that if Christ has reconciled us it is for always, if we are continuing in his faith. Because without Christ there is no way that we continue our faith on our

own. Only then will we be established and firm, not moved.

2. What happens if we don't?

We are easily mislead.

3. What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only)?

His grace and his promises. Eternal life.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"? What happens if we don't? What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only*)?

Colossians 1:23 - if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.

If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"? By remembering the Gospel and believing in Christ, we will be steadfast in our faith and be able to defend ourselves from the assault of the wrong information and events of our lives.

What happens if we don't? We will sin and move away from Christ.

What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only*)? Our salvation and ultimately our eternal life with Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"?

We must remain established and firm in order to endure to the end.

What happens if we don't?

If we don

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved?

Our salvation is in Christ. We come to Christ initially, repenting of our sins and accepting His blood cleansing to clean us up. The process of cleansing is available to us when we continue in faith and remain established and firm not moving from the law of God. The true Christian faith is lived in union with Jesus, by faith in him, walking with him, receiving his encouragement and forgiveness throughout our lives.

What happens if we dont?

When we remove our selves from the laws of the faith, from walking with Jesus; then we are apt to continue to sin and possibly lose our salvation.

What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only)? (Please dont use proof texts from other verses in the New Testament, but interpret Colossians 1:23 in its appropriate context.)

The nature of the security that we have is union with Jesus according to this text. Salvation is ours if we continue to walk with Him, being established and firm, and not moved.

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"? What happens if we don't? What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only*)?

*Please don't use proof texts from other verses in the New Testament, but interpret Colossians 1:23 in its appropriate context.

Answer:Our salvation does not depends only on the Grace of God,but combination of Grace and Faith(Eph 2:8-9-..by GRACE through FAITH..).However Grace of God is constant,never changing,unlike Faith,..that is why it is necessary for us to Continue with our Faith,established and firm and not moved,because Faith unlike Grace of God is tangible.Faith can be shaken,and may vary from one teaching to another,and if we don

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nancy,

We are saved by Grace through Faith.(Eph 2:8-9).It is a combination of both.Grace alone cant save for the Grace of God has appeared to all men,yet we know that not all are saved(Titus 2:11- For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men)I truly agree with you that God will not drop us like a hot potatoe once we are saved.The Holy Spirit will just continue to remind you of the New man that is you in Christ,old things have passed away(2 Cor 5:17-7 Therefore if any man be in Christ , he is a new creature : old things are passed away ; behold , all things are become new )

We dont like to do the things that we enjoy doing before that we know are not according to the will of God,once we are saved...We become a sorry sinners,not a happy sinners as like before.

That is why it is important to continue with our Faith,rooted,and not moved to the true Gospel,so that we will not backslide or fall back again to the WORLD.For the enemy is after the WORD,not after us.He is after to steal,and destroy the FRUIT and POWER of the WORD of GOD,so that it wont manifest in our life(Mark 4:17- And have no root in themselves , and so endure but for a time : afterward , when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake , immediately they are offended )

Jesus himself said these to the beleivers,to CONTINUE WITH HIS WORD in John 8:31..He will not tell this to his disciple if He know that,once save always save.He knows the importance of Keeping with the Word,otherwise he will not tell his disciple about it.

On the bright side I also believe that once you accepted Jesus as your personal saviour,You are eternally save(Hebrews 9:15- And for this cause G1223 he is the mediator of the new testament , that by means G1096 of death , for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament they which are called Gmight receive the promise of eternal inheritance )

However when we backslide,save as you are..you will not live according to the Victorious life that God has intended you to be.And who is in his right mind dont want to be Victorious,healed,prospered,manifestation of the fruit of the Spirit as listed in Galatians 5:222-23.

And to add,God will not be pleased if we backslide(Hebrews 10:38-39-Now the just shall live by faith G: but if any man draw back , my soul shall have no pleasure in him . 39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition ; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.)

AND WHY WE DONT WANT TO PLEASE THE LIVING GOD?WE OWE EVERYTHING TO HIM,THAT IF WE VALUE WHAT HE HAS GIVEN TO US,WE HOLD TO IT DEARLY..AT ALL COST.

God bless us

• 1 month later...

I would have to go with Dr. Ralph's interpretation here. The problem with the Sinner's Prayer is that we've sort of made it up. There is nothing wrong with it, of course, but we as an evangelical church have made that prayer the end-all and be-all of salvation. I spent years as a teenager and young adult thinking my mission was to "get" people to say this prayer, as if it were some sort of magical incantation. Yes, you can believe instantly. Or it can be a process. But faith is faith. Saying some words ten years ago and then rejecting Christ later doesn't seem to make one a Christian. Christian means "little Christ," and if we have completely forgotten him, how are we following him? Yes, there is Grace, and yes, we often get off track and have to get back on. And the last couple of posters are correct--only God can truly know where someone's heart is. I just think the emphasis on "praying the prayer" has caused many people to have a shallow, rocky start to their faith. After that prayer, intentional, strategic discipleship is key in order to keep that person following Christ and growing in faith. I feel badly about the people I got to say the prayer in college. I would be so excited to get them to say it, then whew--my job was done!

• 2 months later...

(Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved? What happens if we dont? What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only)? (Please dont use proof texts from other verses in the New Testament, but interpret Colossians 1:23 in its appropriate context.)

Saying we love Christ and want to belong to Him is not enough. We can go through the ceremony: say a prayer, shed a tear and even get baptized, but . . . a true commitment is measured by what happens following the profession. it's not enough to just profess faith, you must possess it.

Believing in Christ is making a commitment to trust Christ with the rest of your life. It means deciding to live by His standard of right and wrong. It means continuing to follow Him even when we don't understand what He is doing. Sure we will stumble. There will be times we will fall. But true faith keeps coming back to the Father seeking to realign their hearts with His. And over time we get closer to the goal.

• 1 year later...

It is necessary for us to not be moved and continue in faith because of our reconciliation we need to be constantly in union with Jesus throughout our entire lives. Not to remain in union with Jesus causes one to drift away from the truth and be misled by false teachings. By remaining in union with Jesus we receive encouragement, forgiveness, his continued grace and promises are the nature of our security.

• 7 years later...

Honestly, I struggle with this. I truly believe that once a person truly and sincerely accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior (and I mean without a doubt, not an emotional response but a deep conviction that they're a sinner and need/want Jesus to save them), they are saved. But I am in the midst of people who say, "I'm just trying to make it in," or, "If you tell a lie and Jesus comes back before you have time to repent, you will be lost forever!" This kind of teaching troubles me deeply. How do I reconcile this with this scripture. I need to know what it's saying, in plain language. I understand that we have to have the correct theological understanding, but people who are uncertain as to whether or not they are saved need this made plain. So, I'm not answering the question, as you can see. I'm still confused about this scripture and what Paul is really saying and I could use your help. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I have a problem here Ralph. "...if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel". My experience is that I am unable to continue, be established and firm on my own steam. I can only continue and grow only by the grace of God. My part is to seek, or keep in step with the Holy Spirit so that, as you have said, "...our heart is set on serving Christ, and his grace and his  promises are our security". Trouble is you have prevented us from using "proof texts" from elsewhere in the Bible, and yet you use them all the time, even in this particular section, you have used them.

And so, that verse continues to be difficult for me. Is it saying I must "continue" on my own, or continue to trust the Holy Spirit to enable me to continue? Very confusing. Texts from elsewhere in the Bible would help me to resolve this confusion to some extent.